PDA

View Full Version : This is getting to be too much!

new4christ
Sep 22nd 2008, 09:31 PM
I posted about my experience with the Apostolic Oneness Pentecostal church a few weeks ago and I am still so stuck! I just do now know what to do about this and it is about to drive me crazy! I feel pushed and pulled in every direction! On top of that I have been so busy with my life that I just haven't had time to settle this problem,

I just do not know what church to go to. Truth is I like charismatic churches and I have heard some bad things about all churches. At least the Apostolic church had some basis on knowing what was of God and what was not, so it was not just a bunch of wackos that were doing things that were not of God, and that is what is scaring me from trying another Pentecostal type church.

Is the church of God ok? I know there are some of those around. Are they kind of like Pentecostal? The last thing I need is to go to a half-hearted or "dead" church, I need something to keep me going on this journey.

Also I just do not know how to start a conversation with those that go to that Apostolic church. You all gave great verses to use, but how do I start a conversation? I'm afraid they will get mad at me if I try to say their denomination is false. Also the pastor said "It's not about denomination, it's about do you know Him."

Honestly, this church is making it hard for me to witness. It is so different than those UPC churches that were so far off base that the people wanted to leave. This one is pretty much based on living from the conviction of God, and I myself even agreed with 90% of what was preached! It's like 99% of what they do is right and then there is that other (Acts 2:38 view of salvation, oneness of God) that I know is false.

I'm afraid I'll do more harm in witnessing to them than leaving them alone. But I also see them alot and they are pretty much most of my friends and it is just so hard to see them in something that could lead them away from God.

Thanks for letting me weep!

ConqueredbyLove
Sep 23rd 2008, 12:37 AM
Have you looked into Calvary Chapel?

Richard H
Sep 23rd 2008, 01:21 AM
Hi New4,
In my own search for a good church, I’ve been “put off” many times.
There seem to be distortions, complacency and even ignorance in abundance.
Many practices seem (to me) to be for show or to “feel good”.
Other churches get caught up with “rules of behavior” and miss the spirit.

I know I will never find a perfect church, but this board has shown me there are Christians out there worth seeking for fellowship.
We just have to find ‘em. WHERE ARE YOU ALL MEETING?

The best church I’ve ever attended was a Spirit filled Presbyterian Church.
The Pastor (which ever one was preaching that day) would sometimes stop the service to just to worship God.
Sometimes they would put aside their prepared notes to speak as the Spirit was leading.
A few times there were tongues with interpretation.

‘Certainly not your typical Presbyterian Church.

I understand your dilemma about witnessing.
I feel sometimes that witnessing can be like catching a fish - only to throw the fish to a waiting shark.
I suppose that’s where mentoring comes in. :saint:

Richard

ConqueredbyLove
Sep 23rd 2008, 01:36 AM
The best church Iíve ever attended was a Spirit filled Presbyterian Church.
The Pastor (which ever one was preaching that day) would sometimes stop the service to just to worship God.
Sometimes they would put aside their prepared notes to speak as the Spirit was leading.
A few times there were tongues with interpretation.

Richard

Where did they go, Richard? Did they get raptured? :)

Richard H
Sep 23rd 2008, 01:47 AM
Where did they go, Richard? Did they get raptured? :)

ROFL

They're still there. But I'm in Arizona, now.

It really was quite an experience.

They also did work for the poor and sponsored missionary work by church members.
Additionally, there was strong emphasis on the Word and decipleship.
I miss 'em now! :(

TrustingFollower
Sep 23rd 2008, 04:15 AM
I posted about my experience with the Apostolic Oneness Pentecostal church a few weeks ago and I am still so stuck! I just do now know what to do about this and it is about to drive me crazy! I feel pushed and pulled in every direction! On top of that I have been so busy with my life that I just haven't had time to settle this problem,

I just do not know what church to go to. Truth is I like charismatic churches and I have heard some bad things about all churches. At least the Apostolic church had some basis on knowing what was of God and what was not, so it was not just a bunch of wackos that were doing things that were not of God, and that is what is scaring me from trying another Pentecostal type church.

Is the church of God ok? I know there are some of those around. Are they kind of like Pentecostal? The last thing I need is to go to a half-hearted or "dead" church, I need something to keep me going on this journey.

Also I just do not know how to start a conversation with those that go to that Apostolic church. You all gave great verses to use, but how do I start a conversation? I'm afraid they will get mad at me if I try to say their denomination is false. Also the pastor said "It's not about denomination, it's about do you know Him."

Honestly, this church is making it hard for me to witness. It is so different than those UPC churches that were so far off base that the people wanted to leave. This one is pretty much based on living from the conviction of God, and I myself even agreed with 90% of what was preached! It's like 99% of what they do is right and then there is that other (Acts 2:38 view of salvation, oneness of God) that I know is false.

I'm afraid I'll do more harm in witnessing to them than leaving them alone. But I also see them alot and they are pretty much most of my friends and it is just so hard to see them in something that could lead them away from God.

New4Christ,

First off I want to say welcome to Bibleforums, it is a pleasure to have you here with us. Now as far as your desire to find a good church. I recommend for you to talk to our ministers here on the board. I know they have plenty of experence with different churches in their pasts. They have been exposed to many different denominations. I know one has first hand knowledge on the Church of God and will tell you the truth in reply to any question you ask. Just start a thread in the Chat to the Ministers forum to reach our ministers.

Chat to Ministers forum link (http://bibleforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=143)

turtledove
Sep 23rd 2008, 03:53 PM
This thread has been moved to Apologetics and Evangelism. I also suggest, as Trusting Follower has above>>> new4Christ, that you start a thread in Chat to Ministers where our doctrinal ministers can help you.

wiseoldowl..facilitator..C&E

Sold Out
Sep 23rd 2008, 08:25 PM

I just do not know what church to go to. Truth is I like charismatic churches and I have heard some bad things about all churches.

There are a couple of charismatic denominations: Assemblies of God & Pentecostal (not United of course). I'm not sure about Church of God. Have you checked out their website?

petepet
Sep 23rd 2008, 09:48 PM

Hi We do sympathise with your dilemma and weep with you. But there is certainly only one thing to do with a church that preaches central false doctrines (and what could be more central than the doctrine of the Triune God and the doctrine of the way of salvation)? And that is, to not be associated with it. Any church that isolates itself from all other true believers is self-evidently wrong. And the Apostolic Oneness church is so deceptive in its teaching (and so self-congratulatory) that it should be shunned. By being associated with them you are branded with their brand.

With regard to witness to them it is a matter of patience. By all means speak to individuals when you can but until their own minds are unsettled they are unlikely to listen to you. On the other hand your moving away will in itself be a witness to them, and may in itself spark such questions.

We all hope that you will be able to find a live church where you will be able play a full part.

God bless you and keep you..

Gentile
Sep 25th 2008, 05:44 PM
Just leave! I don't understand why people crucify themselves when it comes to a decision of a church. Make your life easier and leave, plain and simple. You don't have to tell anyone.

Why do christians like suffering so much? Christians are always called weak and I am sorry to say this is one example of a whiney christiain. Be strong and move on!

Lesa
Sep 25th 2008, 07:07 PM
My beloved one
So many different ideas. If you will permit me to offer my experience may be you will find some comfort I hope.

As far as witnessing. Pray for wisdom. Study the bible 2 Timothy 3:16.
Don't be in a rush to get out there and wear yourself out and what I mean by that is by trying to witness before you allow yourself to grow. I promise you (more importantly God word says) that when you are ready to witness He will let you know because the words will flow out from your heart.
2 Timothy 2:15 Study to show yourself approved unto God.

Just as He told Moses
Exd 4:10 (http://www.blueletterbible.org/kjv/Exd/Exd004.html#10) And Moses said unto the LORD, O my Lord,
I [am] not eloquent, neither heretofore, nor since thou
hast spoken unto thy servant: but I [am] slow of speech,
and of a slow tongue
And the LORD said unto him,
Exodus 4:11Who hath made man's mouth? or
who maketh the dumb,or deaf, or the seeing,
or the blind? have not I the LORD?
Exd 4:12 (http://www.blueletterbible.org/cgi-bin/popup.pl?book=Exd&chapter=4&verse=12&version=kjv#12)Now therefore go, and I will be with thy mouth, and teach thee what thou shalt say.
Amen!!

The one who told you that "its not about religion" is correct. It is all about relationship. He will lead you to the place you are to worship He will place you where you can learn and grow and eventually be used in His service. Open your heart totally to Him. Pray and stick to praying and studing His word. Go visit different places of worship and you will find one where your spirit is drawing you, you will find one that gives you inner peace. I won't tell you that it will be a place that is 100 percent perfect because there won't be a place like that till Christ comes back. But you will know where you are at home at (earthly speaking) Don't hold your expectations to high. Some times I snicker at my self and say I should be wearing a tee shirt that says "Caution Christian under construction" and I can see My Heavenly Father and His Son, My Lord and Savior shaking their heads and saying Lesa, Lesa, Lesa just as Jesus did Peter when He was asking Peter if he love Him. So in other words don't expect your brothers and sisters to be perfect Jesus isn't done with us yet (bless His heart and Holy Name)
And finally always, always, search the scriptures to find if what you are being taught is truth from His word. Dig after it because it is WAY better then Gold

Much love to you and WELCOME to the Family

dale1257
Oct 2nd 2008, 12:03 AM
:pray:Fact: Regardless of what Church you choose, someone will have something negative to say.

For me, Calvary Chapel was the right place at the right time. This is a Church that is at least trying to remain true to the scriptures.

What I did was list what I believe (kind of like the Statement of Faith you see on most web sites), then went looking for a Church that agreed with my core values, or at least didn't oppose them.

When you've done that, probably most important thing you can do, is pray. Christ will hear your prayer, and He will answer. You may not understand or even like the answer, but eventually he will guide you to where you should be. :pray:

graceforme
Oct 3rd 2008, 01:19 PM
The most important thing in a church is whether or not God's Word is being taught without compromise. Pentecostal churches lean largely toward emotionalism. In the ones I've had experience with, a person's spirutuality will be judged by how "emotional" they are in church. Speaking in tongues (and that's a whole other discussion for me), dancing around, signs and wonders, giving a "word", being "slain in the spirit", etc.

Truth is more important than anything. I've had some experience with a Calvary Chapel, and found them to be teaching God's Word in spirit and truth. It was quite refreshing. My church is dispensational (right division of Scripture), and the Calvary Chapel is very close in their doctrinal beliefs.

God will show you where you should be. But I can highly recomment Calvary Chapel. You can find one near you by doing a "google" search.

God Bless.

The Preacher
Oct 3rd 2008, 02:21 PM
Choosing a place to fellowship is an important decision. The finger can only receive life by being connected to it's proper place. It cannot be attached to the foot and expect to function properly. This is something that the Lord will lead you into and he will make it very clear that you belong there. That being said I strongly discourage you from attending an apostolic oneness church.
I was baptized in one one I was first saved in 1982. I was a bit confused about certain doctrinal issues and basic christian walk issues because all they did was try to cram the oneness doctrine into me. I had all kinds of issues due to my drug abuse( at that time) and being neglected as a child but all they could do was talk about how I needed to be baptized in Jesus's name instead of "Father,Son and Holy Spirit. There are some doctrines that are critical for a true understanding of our redemption and resulting position in Christ and the trinity is an important one.

graceforme
Oct 3rd 2008, 03:24 PM
Choosing a place to fellowship is an important decision. The finger can only receive life by being connected to it's proper place. It cannot be attached to the foot and expect to function properly. This is something that the Lord will lead you into and he will make it very clear that you belong there. That being said I strongly discourage you from attending an apostolic oneness church.
I was baptized in one one I was first saved in 1982. I was a bit confused about certain doctrinal issues and basic christian walk issues because all they did was try to cram the oneness doctrine into me. I had all kinds of issues due to my drug abuse( at that time) and being neglected as a child but all they could do was talk about how I needed to be baptized in Jesus's name instead of "Father,Son and Holy Spirit. There are some doctrines that are critical for a true understanding of our redemption and resulting position in Christ and the trinity is an important one.

Many churches are not ministering to the peoples' most basic needs, but rather they are more interested in traditions and rituals. I pray that you have found a church that ministers to you in spirit AND truth.

God Bless.

ServantofTruth
Oct 3rd 2008, 08:53 PM
You could present me with a perfect church and my arguement would be 'it's too perfect' i can't go there. So i'm on the outside all churches, but more importantly i recognise my need and my own mistakes and got down on my knees and asked God to show me His Way.

Please join me. SofTy :pray:

graceforme
Oct 4th 2008, 12:04 AM
You could present me with a perfect church and my arguement would be 'it's too perfect' i can't go there. So i'm on the outside all churches, but more importantly i recognise my need and my own mistakes and got down on my knees and asked God to show me His Way.

Please join me. SofTy :pray:

No such thing as a perfect church; no such thing as perfect people - only a perfect Savior.

There no need for you to be outside all churches. We all have a need for Christian fellowship and teaching. We need to fellowship for encouragement and attend church for teaching. We need to be part of a church body. It is very important.

Don't forsake that basic need in your life. There's a church out there for you. Just make sure you are focused on God, not on man and his rituals and traditions.

God Bless.

ServantofTruth
Oct 4th 2008, 01:18 PM
So many of God's servants have said the same thing to me in love - it's just that i'm listening at last.

When praying last night - i was telling our Lord (he already knew obviously) that i'd wanted to start my own house church & bible group and wished i was rich so i could buy a church and start my own real big church.

I said how stupid this made me, because hadn't enough people done that already! Because they couldn't get along with their brothers and sisters in Christ's own family/ one church. I thanked Him for not allowing me to do this or giving me the resources to allow my stupidity to go further.

Only when i learn to accept and love God's family will i be able to serve him fully.

Thank you for your post and if you see me contradicting my reply, or knocking the church or His servants - feel free to correct me in love. SofTy. :pray: