PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice: Is cussing really bad?

Master Jake
Sep 23rd 2008, 07:28 AM
Well it's a pretty standard question but here goes.

Is cussing really bad?

I've asked a lot of people but no one has ever been able to provide scripture proof that it is. I don't understand why simple words that mean absolutely nothing can be bad. Most of my friends just agree that it isn't so I never really cared to look into it. But now that I found a Bible forum I can finally ask all my questions. And boy do I have a lot.

Anyway, please provide scripture proof with your reply instead of just your opinion. Thanks a lot for anyone who replies =]

FaithfulSheep
Sep 23rd 2008, 10:23 AM
Yes it is. Think to yourself... is this a word I would say to a child? To a preacher? To Jesus?

No? You wouldn't? Then don't say it to anyone.

Ephesians 5:4 And there must be no filthiness and silly talk, or coarse jesting, which are not fitting, but rather giving of thanks.

Ephesians 4:29 Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but
only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the
moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear.

Matthew 15:11 It is not what enters into the mouth that defiles the man, but what proceeds out of the mouth, this defiles the man.

Psalm 19:14 Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

HisLeast
Sep 23rd 2008, 12:06 PM
Is cussing really bad? It is rude and improper, yes.

I've asked a lot of people but no one has ever been able to provide scripture proof that it is. I don't understand why simple words that mean absolutely nothing can be bad. Most of my friends just agree that it isn't so I never really cared to look into it.

The problem is Jake, that all words have meaning. We speak in a language of color, where words fit like puzzle pieces. Some sooth, some bring precise meaning, and others serve to underscore and make vivid. Words can illicit the full range of human emotion.

Words have meaning in two ways. Denotative meaning is the literal meaning of the word. In the case of the "b" word, the denotative meaning is "female canine". Connotative meaning is the emotional attachment to the word. Connotation is where you find the difference between "aroma" and "stench". In short: there is no such thing as "words that mean absolutely nothing".

Anyway, please provide scripture proof with your reply instead of just your opinion. Thanks a lot for anyone who replies =]

FaithfulSheep already listed the obvious ones, but here are some others...
Philipians 4:8 Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.
Proverbs 12:18 Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.
James 3:9-12 With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be. Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring? My brothers, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water.

One last question. If our speech and actions look and sound like those who don't know Christ... how will they see there is something different about us?

faithfulfriend
Sep 23rd 2008, 12:27 PM

Is cussing really bad?

Yes.

I've asked a lot of people but no one has ever been able to provide scripture proof that it is. I don't understand why simple words that mean absolutely nothing can be bad. Most of my friends just agree that it isn't so I never really cared to look into it. But now that I found a Bible forum I can finally ask all my questions. And boy do I have a lot.

If those simple words don't mean anything, then they shouldn't be in anyones vocabulary. If they really have no meaning, then they would never be said.

Sure. Every question should be answered with scripture.

Eph 4:29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.

When Peter betrayed Christ, he cursed:

Mt 26:74 Then began he to curse and to swear, saying, I know not the man. And immediately the cock crew.

When one curses, they are betraying Christ.

1Pe 3:10 For he that will love life, and see good days, let him refrain his tongue from evil, and his lips that they speak no guile:

You will talk according to what your heart condition is. If the heart has evil in it, you will speak the same way:

Lu 6:45 A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh.

These are just a few passages.

Emanate
Sep 23rd 2008, 12:57 PM
Yes.

If those simple words don't mean anything, then they shouldn't be in anyones vocabulary. If they really have no meaning, then they would never be said.

Sure. Every question should be answered with scripture.

Eph 4:29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.

When Peter betrayed Christ, he cursed:

Mt 26:74 Then began he to curse and to swear, saying, I know not the man. And immediately the cock crew.

When one curses, they are betraying Christ.

1Pe 3:10 For he that will love life, and see good days, let him refrain his tongue from evil, and his lips that they speak no guile:

You will talk according to what your heart condition is. If the heart has evil in it, you will speak the same way:

Lu 6:45 A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh.

These are just a few passages.

I am sure we can all agree that these verses speak about something more than using a "bad" word.

Oft I do wonder, when did someone decide that a certain sound was a bad word?

militarywife
Sep 23rd 2008, 02:02 PM
Yes it is. Think to yourself... is this a word I would say to a child? To a preacher? To Jesus?

No? You wouldn't? Then don't say it to anyone.

Ephesians 5:4 And there must be no filthiness and silly talk, or coarse jesting, which are not fitting, but rather giving of thanks.

Ephesians 4:29 Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but
only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the
moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear.

Matthew 15:11 It is not what enters into the mouth that defiles the man, but what proceeds out of the mouth, this defiles the man.

Psalm 19:14 Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

Couldnt ask for better scriptural advice than this. Excellent!!!!:)

Literalist-Luke
Sep 23rd 2008, 04:21 PM
In addition to the excellent responses already here, I would ask you a question, Master Jake: Why is the "cussing" needed? What positive thing does it accomplish?

I Corinthians 10:23 - "'I have the right to do anything,' you say—but not everything is beneficial. 'I have the right to do anything'—but not everything is constructive."

zombieCat
Sep 23rd 2008, 04:46 PM
In addition to the excellent responses already here, I would ask you a question, Master Jake: Why is the "cussing" needed? What positive thing does it accomplish?I'll answer that, as soon as you can answer why Christians need to use common cussing substitutes such as "dang", "darn", "shoot", "heck", "gosh", "crud", "fetching" (a Mormon favorite). What positive thing does it accomplish?

I Corinthians 10:23 - "'I have the right to do anything,' you say - but not everything is beneficial. 'I have the right to do anything' - but not everything is constructive."

Literalist-Luke
Sep 23rd 2008, 05:01 PM
I'll answer that, as soon as you can answer why Christians need to use common cussing substitutes such as "dang", "darn", "shoot", "heck", "gosh", "crud", "fetching" (a Mormon favorite). What positive thing does it accomplish?

I Corinthians 10:23 - "'I have the right to do anything,' you say - but not everything is beneficial. 'I have the right to do anything' - but not everything is constructive."All languages include such inflections as expressions of various emotions. The key is which one(s) the speaker chooses. My point was that, with plenty of inflections to choose from that most people would find UNoffensive, what is the point of using one that a large number of people would find offensive? What positive thing is accomplished by that?

zombieCat
Sep 23rd 2008, 06:22 PM
All languages include such inflections as expressions of various emotions. The key is which one(s) the speaker chooses. My point was that, with plenty of inflections to choose from that most people would find UNoffensive, what is the point of using one that a large number of people would find offensive? What positive thing is accomplished by that?Point taken. My point is that there is a false division of offensiveness between the "bad" words and their euphemisms. What makes "fetch" less offensive than the word from which it is derived (in the inflective sense)? Only the fact that people choose to make such attributions. At which point, the central idea has moved from words being intrinsically wrong to them being wrong only because of current popular opinion.

Richard H
Sep 23rd 2008, 06:31 PM

Is cussing really bad?

My :2cents::

Cussing is not the same as cursing.
I'm really trying to get out the habit of cussing.
This verse sort of woke me up.

But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth.
Col 3:8

Master Jake
Sep 23rd 2008, 07:03 PM
Thanks for all your replies.

Hey wait a minute, what makes words like "darn", "dang", etc. any better than the full blown cuss words? If there truly isn't a difference then does it matter which you use. I've found it to be human nature to get angry and cuss. Some just do it for the heck of it.

zombieCat
Sep 23rd 2008, 07:16 PM
Thanks for all your replies.

Hey wait a minute, what makes words like "darn", "dang", etc. any better than the full blown cuss words?Because those words let people cuss and still pretend they aren't cussing, which allows them to feel righteous.

And, BTW, your humor wasn't lost on me :lol:

Richard H
Sep 23rd 2008, 07:25 PM
<snip>
... Some just do it for the heck of it.

Yer too funny, Jake.

Thinly disguised words are not much better, but being that there’s a level of social acceptability to some of these words it’s better than full blown cussing.

I try to refrain from “Darn it” because it’s a very thin disguise and damnation is actually a curse.

Too much today I hear Christians exclaim “oh Lord!” for no purpose than to exclaim.
I think that’s wrong as saying OMG (or the long version). Taking His name or title in vain.

Still, it’s tough to say “Oh Fiddlesticks!” when you stub your toe.
Even saying “fiddlesticks” is a very thin disguise.

I don’t mind cussing by the unsaved too much, but OG and OMG grate on my spirit.
Even the abbreviation “OMG” gets to me because it is trite.

Richard

ilovemetal
Sep 23rd 2008, 07:32 PM
Because those words let people cuss and still pretend they aren't cussing, which allows them to feel righteous.

not true. i say dang all the time. it's by no means a replacment for damn or the like.

Master Jake
Sep 23rd 2008, 07:32 PM
Hmm... I'd have to say it is impossible to not use some form of cussing every now and then. When you cuss do you use bible slang or full blown?

NewInHim
Sep 23rd 2008, 07:37 PM
Hello, my name is Katie, and I am a cusser. I have not cussed out loud in probably 3 or 4 months. But I've cussed in my head. Working on it. I think it's a heart issue. The sciptures referenced are helpful. I don't appreciate the "thinly disguised" words Christians use, either. So I've give up using them, mostly. I find myself saying "Oh my goodness" sometimes. Not sure about that one. I think it's better than taking God's name, or title, in vain. Anyhow, it's really hard to be around people who do cuss, or to read cuss words. My husband reminds me to be easy on unbelievers and not expect them not to cuss. I never say anythign about it, but each time a word like that comes across my ears, it's harsh and hard to hear. I've attributed it to a growing sensitivity to the Spirit. Things that used to seem ok and normal to me no longer seem ok. But it's a hard line to walk, trying to live rightously, and trying not to be legalistic.

Richard H
Sep 23rd 2008, 07:43 PM
not true. i say dang all the time. it's by no means a replacment for damn or the like.

Hi Metal,

uh Look it up on urbandictionaryDOTcom

"Dag" as in "dagnabbit" is in there too.

I want to clean up my speech even more - even though I'm saved from H-E-double toothpicks. :rolleyes:

Richard

Richard H
Sep 23rd 2008, 07:46 PM
Hello, my name is Katie, and I am a cusser. I have not cussed out loud in probably 3 or 4 months. But I've cussed in my head. Working on it. I think it's a heart issue. The sciptures referenced are helpful. I don't appreciate the "thinly disguised" words Christians use, either. So I've give up using them, mostly. I find myself saying "Oh my goodness" sometimes. Not sure about that one. I think it's better than taking God's name, or title, in vain. Anyhow, it's really hard to be around people who do cuss, or to read cuss words. My husband reminds me to be easy on unbelievers and not expect them not to cuss. I never say anythign about it, but each time a word like that comes across my ears, it's harsh and hard to hear. I've attributed it to a growing sensitivity to the Spirit. Things that used to seem ok and normal to me no longer seem ok. But it's a hard line to walk, trying to live rightously, and trying not to be legalistic.

Hi Katie,
I used to hear GD all the time in trade school. I was brand new in the Lord and used it as a "reminder" for me to bless His name.

zombieCat
Sep 23rd 2008, 07:46 PM
not true. i say dang all the time. it's by no means a replacment for damn or the like.To borrow a phrase, not true. The Concise Oxford Dictionary of English Etymology defines "dang" as "euphemistic alternative of 'damn'". If you try to assert that it's OK because you don't mean it in that sense, then I would say when I use the non-euphemistic version, I don't mean it according to its strict definition, so it's fine.

Richard H
Sep 23rd 2008, 07:51 PM
Hmm... I'd have to say it is impossible to not use some form of cussing every now and then. When you cuss do you use bible slang or full blown?

Hey Jake,
What's "bible slang"? :giveup:

Paladin54
Sep 23rd 2008, 08:03 PM
There is no difference between cussing and cursing. They are words that have the same meaning. Look at the meaning of Cuss and Curse:

cuss (ks) Informal
intr. & tr.v. cussed, cuss·ing, cuss·es
To curse or curse at.
n.
1. A curse.
2. An odd or perverse person or creature.

curse (kûrs)
n.
a. An appeal or prayer for evil or misfortune to befall someone or something.
b. The evil or misfortune that comes in or as if in response to such an appeal: bewailed the curse of ill health.
2. One that is accursed.
3. A source or cause of evil; a scourge: "Selfishness is the greatest curse of the human race" William Ewart Gladstone.
4. A profane word or phrase; a swearword.
5. Ecclesiastical A censure, ban, or anathema.
6. Slang Menstruation. Used with the.
v. cursed or curst (kûrst), curs·ing, curs·es
v.tr.
1. To invoke evil or misfortune upon; damn.
2. To swear at.
3. To bring evil upon; afflict: was cursed with crippling arthritis.
4. Ecclesiastical To put under a ban or an anathema; excommunicate.
v.intr.
To utter curses; swear.

curse
Verb
[cursing, cursed]
1. to swear or swear at (someone)
2. to call on supernatural powers to bring harm to (someone or something)
Noun
1. a profane or obscene expression, usually of anger
2. an appeal to a supernatural power for harm to come to a person
3. harm resulting from a curse
4. something that causes great trouble or harm
5. the curse Informal menstruation or a menstrual period [Old English cursian]

To say cussing is different than cursing is only fooling yourself when the meaning of cussing IS cursing. Swearing, cussing, cursing all mean the same thing. And the scripture against it has already been clearly given in this topic.

Richard H
Sep 23rd 2008, 08:06 PM
I stand corrected. :blush:

Richard H
Sep 23rd 2008, 08:09 PM
"a profane or obscene expression, usually of anger" knocks out the one that I considered seperate.

Slug1
Sep 23rd 2008, 08:10 PM
Master Jake,

It's also not the lettering of any word you use... damn or dang or darn... it's the intent of the use. I can be upset and yell out AARRRGGG and every four letter swear word is intended within my heart :rolleyes:

I'm a retired soldier and this was something that God worked on me a long time ago and I still find myself sometimes swearing when I'm mad or extremly frustrated. I give it to God.

What I don't do anymore is use a colorful 4 letter word every 3rd word in a sentence like so many troops tend to do. I was an infantryman and when I say that 4 letters words can be used about 50 times in a 2 minute conversation, I'm not kidding. This was not edifying, even in a secular setting and you also better believe that if your friends know you are a Christian and you swear all the time... satan is gonna use this against your witness and as a representative of Christ... it's not a good witness to shine and your light will always be very "dim" if you profess Christ and turn around and swear when the topic isn't about Christ. satan will call you a hypocrite right to your face through those around you and he'd be right.

Master Jake
Sep 23rd 2008, 09:00 PM
Hi guys,

Bible Slang was just a word I used to represent Dang, Darn, etc.
I understand its not the word its your intent meaning if you said jackass refering to a donkey it wouldn't be bad at all. It's just extremely hard to not curse which led me to believe it was just human nature.

VerticalReality
Sep 23rd 2008, 09:26 PM
My main problem with a Christian cussing has more to do with their witness as anything else. I mean like it or not those words are considered to be "obscene" or "vulgar" even by the standards of the lost. So what sort of witness are you going to be for Christ if these folks hear you using this sort of language? It's just not a good witness. My speech is one of the first things that the Spirit of the Lord began dealing with me on when I began submitting my life to Him.

zombieCat
Sep 23rd 2008, 09:46 PM
It's also not the lettering of any word you use... damn or dang or darn... it's the intent of the use. I can be upset and yell out AARRRGGG and every four letter swear word is intended within my heart :rolleyes:Ahhh, you have hit the true crux of the matter. Kudos Slug1. My problem is when people point out the error of a particular lettering and yet have no problem with another, when it's a heart issue across the gamut.

I was an infantryman and when I say that 4 letters words can be used about 50 times in a 2 minute conversation, I'm not kidding.As a former infantryman myself, I can attest to the fact that, no, you're not kidding. Listen to any teenager today, particularly a hyper teenage girl--every time you hear them say "like", replace that with a cuss word, and you have an infantryman.

Thanks for your service Slug1. You are truly appreciated.

Richard H
Sep 23rd 2008, 10:41 PM
I pushed the line. I'm sorry.

Richard

zombieCat
Sep 23rd 2008, 10:43 PM
I pushed the line. I'm sorry.

RichardHow so?

15char15char

Richard H
Sep 23rd 2008, 11:30 PM
How so?

15char15char

I’ve since deleted it, but I added something illustrating how seeming innocent “sounds” can just be an abbreviation of a cuss word.
It also gave a clear “clue” to which word I was referring to in my original statement. It’s gone now.

Richard

A_Saved_1
Sep 23rd 2008, 11:35 PM
My main problem with a Christian cussing has more to do with their witness as anything else. I mean like it or not those words are considered to be "obscene" or "vulgar" even by the standards of the lost. So what sort of witness are you going to be for Christ if these folks hear you using this sort of language? It's just not a good witness. My speech is one of the first things that the Spirit of the Lord began dealing with me on when I began submitting my life to Him.

I agree with you. I ask the Lord everyday to help me deal with my tongue. I know that what comes from a person's mouth reflects his mental and spiritual condition. If I am of God and love him, I want to be a good representative of how involved He is in my life in my speech and actions. Foul or anything considered to be vulgar language is not necessary.

cdo
Sep 23rd 2008, 11:37 PM
What comes out of the mouth is what's in your heart.Anyone can use all the 'slang words with their emotions' but, it's still the same.For whatever the reason behind it is~~whether anger or joking to empress others.It's the wrong and un-Godly thing to do.It can be very addicted to~ just ask God to help you and He will."If it's going to be slanged ~ might as well say it" It's in your heart already.
I pray that God will give you deliverance from this.:pray:
Blessings to you jake:hug: