PDA

View Full Version : worldy music

paradiseinn
Sep 23rd 2008, 01:39 PM
i know that as christians our body is the temple of GOD and we need to be careful what goes in our body like music that may contain harsh words.i don't know if i make lame excuses for likeing metal for just the music and not the words but i am a guitar player and i love metal along with any guitar music.i know GOD knows our hearts but really i don't think in paradise there is going to be metal music in the presence of GOD.ok so the question is am i sinning when i listen to metal?:hmm:

Slug1
Sep 23rd 2008, 02:02 PM
I listen to Christian metal all the time and IMO there's nothing wrong with it. God will get His message across to all people and if some like to listen to it screamed and with the thunder of electic guitars then He'll use bands who scream and have loud guitars so these types of people will listen.

paradiseinn
Sep 23rd 2008, 02:42 PM
what about bands like slipknot and metallica.i know slipknot uses satanic images and i hate that but i like thier music,i don't like the words.is that a sin?, i think it is.i was wondering what everyone else thinks.thanks

Rufus_1611
Sep 23rd 2008, 02:48 PM
i know that as christians our body is the temple of GOD and we need to be careful what goes in our body like music that may contain harsh words.i don't know if i make lame excuses for likeing metal for just the music and not the words but i am a guitar player and i love metal along with any guitar music.i know GOD knows our hearts but really i don't think in paradise there is going to be metal music in the presence of GOD.ok so the question is am i sinning when i listen to metal?:hmm: Yes.

"Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;" - Ephesians 5:19

Mograce2U
Sep 23rd 2008, 02:56 PM
(Isa 42:1-3 KJV) Behold my servant, whom I uphold; mine elect, in whom my soul delighteth; I have put my spirit upon him: he shall bring forth judgment to the Gentiles. {2} He shall not cry, nor lift up, nor cause his voice to be heard in the street. {3} A bruised reed shall he not break, and the smoking flax shall he not quench: he shall bring forth judgment unto truth.

(1 Th 2:7 KJV) But we were gentle among you, even as a nurse cherisheth her children:

(2 Tim 2:24 KJV) And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient,

(Titus 3:2 KJV) To speak evil of no man, to be no brawlers, but gentle, showing all meekness unto all men.

(James 3:17 KJV) But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be entreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy.

(1 Pet 2:18 KJV) Servants, be subject to your masters with all fear; not only to the good and gentle, but also to the froward.

Seems like gentleness is the fruit of the Spirit that appeals to all men.

Slug1
Sep 23rd 2008, 03:09 PM
what about bands like slipknot and metallica.i know slipknot uses satanic images and i hate that but i like thier music,i don't like the words.is that a sin?, i think it is.i was wondering what everyone else thinks.thanksSatan imitates everything God has and if you like this stype of music, then find the Christian varient that these bands imitate.

I love that type of music to include my all time favorite band AC/DC but have not really listened to them in years and have not bought anything from them. I'm tempted to buy their new release next month but like other CD's I was tempted to buy (like the latest Disturbed CD) cause I enjoy the music so much... I didn't and my spirit is at ease cause I resisted the temptation

So I'll continue to listen to the bands that are Christian and sing words that Glorify God along with 2 screaming guitars, a bass, and drums ;)

xSTEADFASTx
Sep 23rd 2008, 07:26 PM
i listen to secular metal often; but oftenly enough christain metal too.

ilovemetal
Sep 23rd 2008, 07:39 PM
what about bands like slipknot and metallica.i know slipknot uses satanic images and i hate that but i like thier music,i don't like the words.is that a sin?, i think it is.i was wondering what everyone else thinks.thanks

it by no means will bring you closer to God. i seriously deleted about 20 gigs of music that i felt was 'bad'

honestly, metal rules, i'd reccomend finding good christian metal bands. there are some....

but i'd like to tell you as well, since i left that negitive music behind i've grown in my relationship with Christ. one of satan's lies i think makes us believe that the little things don't matter as much as the big things, when really the little things add up to the big things.

even though i loved many satanic metal bands i stopped listening to them. it's not what i want with my life, but what God wants. and i say any music that is going against Him is unaccepable. that's just me though....

try these bands:

with blood comes cleansing
underneath the gun
on solid ground
war of ages
becomeing the archetype

good luck bud.

always
Sep 23rd 2008, 07:40 PM
Gen 4:21 Jubal is our forefather of music, the sin is not in the melody, the sin is in the message in the music.

if the metal you listen to has a bad message or conjures up sinful memories in your past then it is a sin.

Luke34
Sep 23rd 2008, 08:35 PM
No music should be "harmful" to anyone with any critical-thinking faculties at all. I always hear about how song lyrics will infiltrate your soul and blah blah blah, but I cannot see how that would be true for, again, a moderately objective person. It's one thing to be offended by lyrics; it's another to think you're going to be influenced by them. Anyway, if you like a band, listen to it. If you're too offended by the lyrics, don't. But looking for a "Christian substitute" is no solution, because it assumes that you just want to listen to metal music, it doesn't matter what it is or how accomplished it is. As long as it has distorted guitars and heavy drums and screaming, you're good to go. I know nothing about metal, but I assume that there is at least some variation in quality between bands, and that they do not all sound the exact same. So listen to good music; don't listen to any random thing from a genre you generally like just because it has "good" lyrics.

Rufus_1611
Sep 23rd 2008, 09:27 PM
No music should be "harmful" to anyone with any critical-thinking faculties at all. I always hear about how song lyrics will infiltrate your soul and blah blah blah, but I cannot see how that would be true for, again, a moderately objective person. It's one thing to be offended by lyrics; it's another to think you're going to be influenced by them.

Does not evil communication corrupt good manners?

Anyway, if you like a band, listen to it. If you're too offended by the lyrics, don't. But looking for a "Christian substitute" is no solution, because it assumes that you just want to listen to metal music, it doesn't matter what it is or how accomplished it is. As long as it has distorted guitars and heavy drums and screaming, you're good to go. I know nothing about metal, but I assume that there is at least some variation in quality between bands, and that they do not all sound the exact same. So listen to good music; don't listen to any random thing from a genre you generally like just because it has "good" lyrics.

always
Sep 23rd 2008, 09:35 PM
Does not evil communication corrupt good manners?

not to mention that faith comes by hearing, you cannot listen to negativity over and over and not be affected by it.

paradiseinn
Sep 23rd 2008, 11:37 PM
thank you for your replies everyone

Luke34
Sep 24th 2008, 12:44 AM
Does not evil communication corrupt good manners? Not necessarily, no.

not to mention that faith comes by hearing, you cannot listen to negativity over and over and not be affected by it. Why not? It's not like it's some subliminal message or something. A song's "message," assuming it has one, is right there, and you can accept it or not.

Big T
Sep 24th 2008, 12:46 AM
i know that as christians our body is the temple of GOD and we need to be careful what goes in our body like music that may contain harsh words.i don't know if i make lame excuses for likeing metal for just the music and not the words but i am a guitar player and i love metal along with any guitar music.i know GOD knows our hearts but really i don't think in paradise there is going to be metal music in the presence of GOD.ok so the question is am i sinning when i listen to metal?:hmm:
got anything to back this up with?

"music" is not a sin. Even secular metal. LYRICS on the other hand....

Big T
Sep 24th 2008, 12:51 AM
No music should be "harmful" to anyone with any critical-thinking faculties at all. I always hear about how song lyrics will infiltrate your soul and blah blah blah, but I cannot see how that would be true for, again, a moderately objective person. It's one thing to be offended by lyrics; it's another to think you're going to be influenced by them. Anyway, if you like a band, listen to it. If you're too offended by the lyrics, don't. But looking for a "Christian substitute" is no solution, because it assumes that you just want to listen to metal music, it doesn't matter what it is or how accomplished it is. As long as it has distorted guitars and heavy drums and screaming, you're good to go. I know nothing about metal, but I assume that there is at least some variation in quality between bands, and that they do not all sound the exact same. So listen to good music; don't listen to any random thing from a genre you generally like just because it has "good" lyrics.So you think words are not all that powerful?

paradiseinn
Sep 24th 2008, 12:53 AM
right,but music that has harsh words that we listen to ends up in our bodies.(mind)know what i mean?

Luke34
Sep 24th 2008, 01:03 AM
So you think words are not all that powerful? They can be, of course. But that still doesn't mean that just listening to something causes you to agree with it, particularly as most songs are not written to convince. I can appreciate writing without ever once "agreeing" with it, and still hold the exact same view I did before I read the writing. Also, with songs there's obviously the added element of music, meaning you don't even necessarily have to enjoy the lyrics to listen to the song.

Luke34
Sep 24th 2008, 01:05 AM
right,but music that has harsh words that we listen to ends up in our bodies.(mind)know what i mean? No. I hear this all the time, but I have never found it to be true.

paradiseinn
Sep 24th 2008, 01:20 AM
so if i don't take lyrics to heart.than it's ok to listen to worldly music,as long as the words don't influence me?

Luke34
Sep 24th 2008, 03:59 AM
so if i don't take lyrics to heart.than it's ok to listen to worldly music,as long as the words don't influence me? I wouldn't have put it that way, but I suppose so. Except not all "wordly" music, assuming you mean non-religious music, has bad messages. Most of it either has no "message" or a positive one, I'm sure. But yeah, I've never been one for the "everything you listen to affects how you act" argument, because it's simply untrue.

Mograce2U
Sep 24th 2008, 04:02 AM
I wouldn't have put it that way, but I suppose so. Except not all "wordly" music, assuming you mean non-religious music, has bad messages. Most of it either has no "message" or a positive one, I'm sure. But yeah, I've never been one for the "everything you listen to affects how you act" argument, because it's simply untrue.What it does do however is fill your thoughts, which effectively keeps you from hearing the voice of the Lord. Nothing like a catchy tune can accomplish that - else the ad men would not bother!

paradiseinn
Sep 24th 2008, 04:14 AM
wow... exactly mograce. that catchy tune that has the words repeating in your head ...exactly..right on mo

Luke34
Sep 24th 2008, 04:21 AM
What it does do however is fill your thoughts, which effectively keeps you from hearing the voice of the Lord. Nothing like a catchy tune can accomplish that - else the ad men would not bother! Well, should we not listen to any music, then, in case it gets stuck in our heads?

IMINXTC
Sep 24th 2008, 04:39 AM
My personal way of determining if a certain genre is harmful or beneficial to my spiritual life (I am a product of the 60's) is to get far away from it for a long time. (I don't necessarily need it!).

Then, when hearing it again, as if for the first time, I'm better able to discern what effects it is having on my spiritual health, if any. I find that I have trashed a great deal of what I once thought was so wonderful.

Music, alas, can be a powerful medium, which can exalt the flesh, or if nothing else can work on our nerves in a very subtle or not so subtle way. I have to take all this into account because I'm on the ministerial clock 24/7.

I love music, and listen to it a great deal.

Mograce2U
Sep 24th 2008, 01:38 PM
Well, should we not listen to any music, then, in case it gets stuck in our heads?Exercising discernment in everything is always needed.

Rufus_1611
Sep 24th 2008, 01:58 PM
Well, should we not listen to any music, then, in case it gets stuck in our heads? Amazing Grace is pretty catchy.

always
Sep 24th 2008, 02:10 PM
there are some gospel lyrics that I don't listen to, because they are not based in the word of God.

This TRAIN to heaven, as an example, now I know it is symbolic, but my spirit does not accept me going to heaven on a train, do you know how long train trips are ? :D the bible says to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord, immediately, not a train trips distance to heaven, that's me.

listening to music over and over and over and over, demoralizing women puts a perception (picture) in ones minds, especially if there has not been a strong upbringing against what the lyrics are saying.

and the same example holds true for any other negative subject, drugs.... whatever, your ears can take in this mess and it not influence the rest of your flesh. :eek:

Rebelnote
Sep 24th 2008, 04:23 PM
I wouldn't have put it that way, but I suppose so. Except not all "wordly" music, assuming you mean non-religious music, has bad messages. Most of it either has no "message" or a positive one, I'm sure. But yeah, I've never been one for the "everything you listen to affects how you act" argument, because it's simply untrue.
It doesn't have to effect the way you act, a better question to ask is "do you really want that song in your head?"
I was riding with a friend the other day and he was listening to some metal band, and the lyrics of the chorus, well, in as much edited terms as I can express, the singer sang about beating his wife (and enjoying it), homosexual oral sex, consuming feces, and other disturbing things.
I'm not saying that anyone who listens to this song will than act out on the song, but do you really want lyrics like that going through your mind? Scripture says that we should keep our minds dwelling on Godly things.

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.
Philipians 4:8.

Luke34
Sep 24th 2008, 04:46 PM
Exercising discernment in everything is always needed. So...no, then? Having music stuck in your head is an evil thing?

paradiseinn
Sep 24th 2008, 06:17 PM
having evil music stuck in your head is evil.

Big T
Sep 24th 2008, 06:41 PM
They can be, of course. But that still doesn't mean that just listening to something causes you to agree with it, particularly as most songs are not written to convince. I can appreciate writing without ever once "agreeing" with it, and still hold the exact same view I did before I read the writing. Also, with songs there's obviously the added element of music, meaning you don't even necessarily have to enjoy the lyrics to listen to the song.
Lyrics aren't written to convince? Since when? Most of my bands lyrics were written to convince, just as deicide's are, Beastie boys, Rage against the machiine and so on.

Sure, just listening doesn't always make you agree with it. But sometimes it does. Sometimes lyrics cause people to change their opinion.You may be one of the few people that are never affected by lyrics, but not everyone is like that.

Rufus_1611
Sep 24th 2008, 06:44 PM
Not necessarily, no. In reviewing this, I may not have stated this properly to not be perceived as setting you up and I didn't and don't intend to do so. I'd like to restate and give you the opportunity to respond.

The Holy scripture declares that evil communications corrupts good manners...

"Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners." - 1 Corinthians 15:33

Do you believe that evil communications corrupts good manners, that it does not corrupt good manners or that sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't?

Why not? It's not like it's some subliminal message or something. A song's "message," assuming it has one, is right there, and you can accept it or not.

Mograce2U
Sep 24th 2008, 07:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mograce2U http://bibleforums.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php?p=1799344#post1799344)
Exercising discernment in everything is always needed.

So...no, then? Having music stuck in your head is an evil thing?What does the word discernment mean to you? Is it not testing what we hear so that we might recognize the spirit behind it? The devil cares not that you understand what you are doing when you repeat blasphemies and evil to yourself or others. His goal is merely to get you to do something so that the Lord will have to chasten you, since he doesn't have access to God anymore to accuse you to Him himself.

Quit looking for legalism and try having ears that hear instead!

Luke34
Sep 25th 2008, 03:54 AM
Lyrics aren't written to convince? Since when? Most of my bands lyrics were written to convince, just as deicide's are, Beastie boys, Rage against the machiine and so on. OK, that's sometimes true (even though I usually find songs written to convince annoying and preachy--e.g. Lennon's "Give Peace a Chance," any political song by a punk band, etc.). But I think it's safe to say that, usually, a song's purpose is to tell a story or communicate a feeling, and not to send a message.

Sure, just listening doesn't always make you agree with it. But sometimes it does. Sometimes lyrics cause people to change their opinion.You may be one of the few people that are never affected by lyrics, but not everyone is like that. I can't imagine how anyone's opinion could be changed on anything important by hearing a song, but maybe that's true. Still, if someone's that suggestible, their opinion is going to change twenty-five times a day anyway.

Luke34
Sep 25th 2008, 03:57 AM
What does the word discernment mean to you? Is it not testing what we hear so that we might recognize the spirit behind it? Um, whatever. That wasn't really my point. My point is even if we do disagree with the opinion behind a work of art, that is no reason to shun it completely if the art itself is admirable. It's quite closed-minded to decide that the only worthy art is that which you entirely agree with. Of course, I'm not saying that the adolescent attempt-to-shock cod-Satanism of blah blah metal bands is high art, but I'm speaking in general.

Luke34
Sep 25th 2008, 04:05 AM
Do you believe that evil communications corrupts good manners, that it does not corrupt good manners or that sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't? Well, the Bible passage is all well and good, but it's simply untrue that all communication of unsavory ideas causes corruption/evil in the minds of those that hear them. For example: Plato's The Republic, along with its thoughtful discussions of justice and whether being a just man leads to true happiness, also contains a rather startling passage in which Socrates casually recommends systematic infanticide by exposure and his companion immediately agrees. Now, I don't think it's possible that one person in today's universities' philosophy classes would read that and go "Hmm, maybe he's right. Maybe inferior babies should be left out to die. Intriguing point." Everyone who reads The Republic will come out with the exact same opinion of infanticide they had going in, even though that work is specifically written to convince. We do not ban The Republic for its recommendation of baby-killing; indeed, it is considered one of the seminal works of all philosophy for its other discussions. The point is that you don't have to either agree with everything a work of art puts forth or reject it categorically. There's such a thing as "critical thinking."

xSTEADFASTx
Sep 26th 2008, 05:21 PM
I can't imagine how anyone's opinion could be changed on anything important by hearing a song, but maybe that's true. Still, if someone's that suggestible, their opinion is going to change twenty-five times a day anyway.

So Minor Threat didnt write pivotal music in the underground scene that hasnt made an impact?

For the record; ill be straighe edge till the day I die.

Riots never happend at a Dead Prez show?

Rage Against The Machine doesnt get shutdown everytime they're near the RNC?

Music is a medium that with passion; it has power.

songs can impact lives.

Mograce2U
Sep 26th 2008, 07:17 PM
Well, the Bible passage is all well and good, but it's simply untrue that all communication of unsavory ideas causes corruption/evil in the minds of those that hear them. For example: Plato's The Republic, along with its thoughtful discussions of justice and whether being a just man leads to true happiness, also contains a rather startling passage in which Socrates casually recommends systematic infanticide by exposure and his companion immediately agrees. Now, I don't think it's possible that one person in today's universities' philosophy classes would read that and go "Hmm, maybe he's right. Maybe inferior babies should be left out to die. Intriguing point." Everyone who reads The Republic will come out with the exact same opinion of infanticide they had going in, even though that work is specifically written to convince. We do not ban The Republic for its recommendation of baby-killing; indeed, it is considered one of the seminal works of all philosophy for its other discussions. The point is that you don't have to either agree with everything a work of art puts forth or reject it categorically. There's such a thing as "critical thinking."The source upon which one bases his critique would therefore seem to be a key to his discernment. That means a standard must exist, no? Something like the word of God perhaps to formulate a proper worldview?