PDA

View Full Version : Information Do you know where the word amen's origin?

always
Sep 23rd 2008, 03:57 PM
Amen, the very last word in the Bible, could well have begun as a Pagan word.

Yet Christians, Jews and Muslims invariably end their prayers (http://www.seiyaku.com/customs/prayer.html), scripture readings (http://www.seiyaku.com/bible/bible-index.html), and hymns (http://www.seiyaku.com/customs/pagan-symbols.html#chants) by saying Amen as an expression of concurrence.

They also say it to acknowledge their agreement or reinforce a statement that another person has said.

From old Egyptian texts we can see that people regarded the Sun as the emblem of the Creator. They called the Sun Ra, and all other gods and goddesses were forms of the Creator.

One of these gods was Amen; a secret, hidden and mysterious god named variously Amen, Amon, Amun, Ammon and Amounra.

For the first eleven dynasties (c. 3000-1987 B.C.) Amen was just a minor god, but by the 17th dynasty (c. 1500 B.C.) he had been elevated to be the national god of southern Egypt.

This position gave Amen the attributes and characteristics of the most ancient gods, and his name became Amen-Ra, that is, a supreme form of God the Creator. By the 18th Dynasty (1539-1295 B.C.) a college had been established to study Amen-Ra and as a focal point for worship

So Amen was originally the name of a Pagan god, who was considered a form of God the Creator. But he was certainly not considered God, or Christ.

Interestingly, most Pagans today tend not to use the word, preferring instead to say "So mote it be", an old Anglo-Saxon term.

Indeed, in the Bible we see Jesus Christ referred to as "The Amen". Christ is God's Amen to all that he has spoken.

Thereby the name used for an old Egyptian god is replaced by the same name used for Christ.

CoffeeCat
Sep 23rd 2008, 05:21 PM
I've always understood "amen" to mean "so be it", or something similar. That's the context we use it in; it's in agreement with the prayer we're saying. I expect that Christians throughout several centuries, this one included, have used the word "amen" exclusively in this way.... probably without being aware that a minor deity from another religion holds a name that's spelled the same way. :) When I say "amen", I say it in the traditional "so be it" or "Your will be done, Lord" way.... and it doesn't matter too much that it had other origins. God knows the way in which we use it.

Funny enough... I don't use "amen" very often. Maybe during prayer with others... but when just talking to God alone, I just tend to say "Lord, if this is your will..." and leave it there. :)

Interesting theory on origins, though.

ilovemetal
Sep 23rd 2008, 05:21 PM
huh. who knew. interesting though. not something i would have tought to think about....thanks for that one.

always
Sep 23rd 2008, 05:47 PM
Funny enough... I don't use "amen" very often. Maybe during prayer with others... but when just talking to God alone, I just tend to say "Lord, if this is your will..." and leave it there. :)

Interesting theory on origins, though.

Isn't it, I used it and understood as "so be it" as well, I still use it, understanding that Christ is God's Amen, but just as you, not in talking or praying to God

huh. who knew. interesting though. not something i would have tought to think about....thanks for that one.

u welcome, I came upon by accident in reading