PDA

View Full Version : What is Christian love?

arunangelo
Sep 24th 2008, 08:29 PM
What is Christian love?

Christianity is more than just keeping the commandments or avoiding what is wrong or sinful or following the written words. It is about living Godís life of sacrificial and all-forgiving love. Therefore, it is not about doing the minimum requirements; rather, it is to go out of our way and give of our self completely to love and serve others, including, those who hurt and offend us.

Since true love is unconditional and selfless, true love goes beyond friends and relatives. Jesus tells us to (Luke 6:27-35) love our enemies, do good deeds to those who hate us, bless those who curse us, and pray for those who mistreat us. If anyone slaps us on one cheek, we must let him hit the other one too. We must lend expecting nothing back. We must give to everyone who asks for something. We must never divorce our spouse (Mark 10:11-12) and be merciful, just as our Father is merciful (Luke 6: 35-36). If someone takes us to court to sue us for our shirt, we must let him have our coat as well. We must walk an additional mile if the occupation forces ask us to carry their pack for one mile (Matt 5; 39-41). If anyone borrows something from us we must not ask for it back (Luke 6:27-30). We must be willing to lay down our life for others, including for those who cause us grave hurt; just as God in His Divine mercy sacrificed His life for those who hurt and killed Him.

keck553
Sep 24th 2008, 08:38 PM
No surprisingly,all of your references are from Torah commands. :)

God doesn't change. What a blessed assurance! Amen.

graceforme
Sep 25th 2008, 01:07 AM
What is Christian love?

Christianity is more than just keeping the commandments or avoiding what is wrong or sinful or following the written words. It is about living Godís life of sacrificial and all-forgiving love. Therefore, it is not about doing the minimum requirements; rather, it is to go out of our way and give of our self completely to love and serve others, including, those who hurt and offend us.

Since true love is unconditional and selfless, true love goes beyond friends and relatives. Jesus tells us to (Luke 6:27-35) love our enemies, do good deeds to those who hate us, bless those who curse us, and pray for those who mistreat us. If anyone slaps us on one cheek, we must let him hit the other one too. We must lend expecting nothing back. We must give to everyone who asks for something. We must never divorce our spouse (Mark 10:11-12) and be merciful, just as our Father is merciful (Luke 6: 35-36). If someone takes us to court to sue us for our shirt, we must let him have our coat as well. We must walk an additional mile if the occupation forces ask us to carry their pack for one mile (Matt 5; 39-41). If anyone borrows something from us we must not ask for it back (Luke 6:27-30). We must be willing to lay down our life for others, including for those who cause us grave hurt; just as God in His Divine mercy sacrificed His life for those who hurt and killed Him.

Based on this O.T. law, (and Jesus did teach law) none of us would have any hope of heaven. Thank God that grace entered in and released us from this legalistic bondage.

God Bless.

keck553
Sep 25th 2008, 02:18 AM
Why would God put "legalistic bondage" on anyone?

faroutinmt
Sep 25th 2008, 02:31 AM
What is Christian love?

Amen. That is truly the God kind of love that Jesus commanded us to walk in. It is truly supernatural, being only the power of God that can enable us to do this. I know I fall far short, but I hope I am responding to the leading of His Holy Spirit to teach me to love like this. It involves denying my sinful desires for sure. :)

I believe in justifying grace, but that grace should lead us to love God's commandments and want to do them.

threebigrocks
Sep 25th 2008, 03:38 AM
Going to say this once - if this thread continues as it seems to have started it will go the way of other threads which couldn't be discussed decently. Iron sharpens iron, please salt your words well.

keck553
Sep 25th 2008, 04:33 AM
Amen. That is truly the God kind of love that Jesus commanded us to walk in. It is truly supernatural, being only the power of God that can enable us to do this. I know I fall far short, but I hope I am responding to the leading of His Holy Spirit to teach me to love like this. It involves denying my sinful desires for sure. :)

I believe in justifying grace, but that grace should lead us to love God's commandments and want to do them.

That is exactly the beauty of sanctification by the Holy Spirit! Very well said! (bold added)

keck553
Sep 25th 2008, 03:34 PM
Just a few "love" principles God lays out. Jesus sums them all up in easy teachings and embeds them on our hearts. How blessed we are to have one teaching from God incarnate in our hearts instead of having them parsed out and detailed in written letters. However, the details can be a great tutior if we need to know what God's position is on something. In that spirit, I dug out the following verses which detail the Character of God's grace and mercy. Jesus, who has 100% the character of God exemplifies love to fullness in our hearts:

Exo 23:4 When you happen on the ox of your enemy, or his wandering ass, returning you shall return it to him.
Exo 23:5 When you see the ass of one who hates you crouching under its burden, you shall refrain from leaving the matter to him; loosing you shall loose it from him.

Pro 24:17 Don't rejoice when your enemy falls; don't let your heart be glad when he stumbles.
Pro 24:18 For Adonai might see it, and it would displease him; he might withdraw his anger from your foe.

Yeshua was developing His d’rash on a theme that already existed in Torah. Yeshua went a bit further when He said “Do not resist evil, but whoever shall smite you on your cheek, turn to him the other also” (paraphrased). Of course text without context is pretext. This teaching from Jesus needs to be seen in the light of His expectations of His followers.

Joh 18:36 Yeshua answered, "My kingship does not derive its authority from this world's order of things. If it did, my men would have fought to keep me from being arrested by the Judeans. But my kingship does not come from here."

Still, His disciples did not understand, even after He had risen when the asked Him if He would restore the kingdom to Israel, to which He answered:

Act 1:7 He said to them, "It is not for you to know times or epochs which the Father has fixed by His own authority;

Many people have given their lives in service of the Gospel message, however alongside the true ecclesia there has an apostate church spreading it’s own message via violence, hatred and persecution. Jesus will judge between the two when He returns and separate the wheat from the chaff.

Charity

Exo 22:21 "You shall not wrong a stranger or oppress him, for you were strangers in the land of Egypt.

Exo 22:22 "You shall not afflict any widow or orphan.

Lev 23:22'When you reap the harvest of your land, moreover, you shall not reap to the very corners of your field nor gather the gleaning of your harvest; you are to leave them for the needy and the alien. I am the LORD your God.'"

Lev 19:9'Now when you reap the harvest of your land, you shall not reap to the very corners of your field, nor shall you gather the gleanings of your harvest.

Lev 19:10'Nor shall you glean your vineyard, nor shall you gather the fallen fruit of your vineyard; you shall leave them for the needy and for the stranger. I am the LORD your God.

Deu 24:19 "When you reap your harvest in your field and have forgotten a sheaf in the field, you shall not go back to get it; it shall be for the alien, for the orphan, and for the widow, in order that the LORD your God may bless you in all the work of your hands.

Deu 24:20 "When you beat your olive tree, you shall not go over the boughs again; it shall be for the alien, for the orphan, and for the widow.

Deu 24:21 "When you gather the grapes of your vineyard, you shall not go over it again; it shall be for the alien, for the orphan, and for the widow.

Deu 15:7 "If there is a poor man with you, one of your brothers, in any of your towns in your land which the LORD your God is giving you, you shall not harden your heart, nor close your hand from your poor brother;

Deu 15:9 "Beware that there is no base thought in your heart, saying, 'The seventh year, the year of remission, is near,' and your eye is hostile toward your poor brother, and you give him nothing; then he may cry to the LORD against you, and it will be a sin in you.

Deu 15:11 "For the poor will never cease to be in the land; therefore I command you, saying, 'You shall freely open your hand to your brother, to your needy and poor in your land.

Deu 10:19 "So show your love for the alien, for you were aliens in the land of Egypt.

Exo 22:25 "If you lend money to My people, to the poor among you, you are not to act as a creditor to him; you shall not charge him interest.

Exo 22:26 "If you ever take your neighbor's cloak as a pledge, you are to return it to him before the sun sets,