PDA

View Full Version : Mark 8:22

LaurieF
Sep 25th 2008, 12:14 PM
In my study group my friend was talking about a church she used to go to where there was alot of workings of the Holy Spirit. One of the group took offense because of some skepticism I'm sure, why that church would have so much of these spiritual activities and not our church. I said that possibly our church, as a whole wasn't as open to it or practice it as much as the other.

I brought up Mark 8:22 when Jesus healed the blind man, but went outside of the village of Bethsaida. And that in Matt 11:21 Jesus rebukes Bethsaida for being evil and not repenting.

Following is the commentary on that scripture.
Christ reflects on the scribes and Pharisees, who had a proud conceit of themselves. He likens their behaviour to children's play, who being out of temper without reason, quarrel with all the attempts of their fellows to please them, or to get them to join in the plays for which they used to assemble. The cavils of worldly men are often very trifling and show great malice. Something they have to urge against every one, however excellent and holy. Christ, who was undefiled, and separate from sinners, is here represented as in league with them, and polluted by them. The most unspotted innocence will not always be a defence against reproach. Christ knew that the hearts of the Jews were more bitter and hardened against his miracles and doctrines, than those of Tyre and Sidon would have been; therefore their condemnation would be the greater. The Lord exercises his almighty power, yet he punishes none more than they deserve, and never withholds the knowledge of the truth from those who long after it.

I could be way off base on using this as an example of why certain churches seem to have more awesome spiritual experences than others. And I'm definitely not saying that Jesus couldn't perform the miracle, I just wonder why the evil and disbelief of that town would be a factor. Any thoughts?

Emanate
Sep 25th 2008, 02:07 PM
In my study group my friend was talking about a church she used to go to where there was alot of workings of the Holy Spirit. One of the group took offense because of some skepticism I'm sure, why that church would have so much of these spiritual activities and not our church. I said that possibly our church, as a whole wasn't as open to it or practice it as much as the other.

I brought up Mark 8:22 when Jesus healed the blind man, but went outside of the village of Bethsaida. And that in Matt 11:21 Jesus rebukes Bethsaida for being evil and not repenting.

Following is the commentary on that scripture.
Christ reflects on the scribes and Pharisees, who had a proud conceit of themselves. He likens their behaviour to children's play, who being out of temper without reason, quarrel with all the attempts of their fellows to please them, or to get them to join in the plays for which they used to assemble. The cavils of worldly men are often very trifling and show great malice. Something they have to urge against every one, however excellent and holy. Christ, who was undefiled, and separate from sinners, is here represented as in league with them, and polluted by them. The most unspotted innocence will not always be a defence against reproach. Christ knew that the hearts of the Jews were more bitter and hardened against his miracles and doctrines, than those of Tyre and Sidon would have been; therefore their condemnation would be the greater. The Lord exercises his almighty power, yet he punishes none more than they deserve, and never withholds the knowledge of the truth from those who long after it.

I could be way off base on using this as an example of why certain churches seem to have more awesome spiritual experences than others. And I'm definitely not saying that Jesus couldn't perform the miracle, I just wonder why the evil and disbelief of that town would be a factor. Any thoughts?

Just keep in mind, because it is a "spiritual experience" in a church does not necessarily mean that it is the Spirit of God. Many times it is emotionalism. Other times it may be false signs and wonders. Whatever the spiritual experience we must always be aware if it has biblical evidence and it brings glory to Messiah. One check for me has always been "would I be doing this if Messiah Jesus were standing physically in this room?" Focus on the work of the Holy Spirit is biblical error.

John 15:26 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:

John 16:13,14 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

Matthew 24:24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.

DavidStrickland
Sep 25th 2008, 08:54 PM
Growing up my sister was the quiet type. I was outspoken. It was a guarentee that if my parents attempted to develop me by using the same method they had used on my sister it would backfire. Any attempt to compare the two of us would only result in insulting and upsetting us both.

Sounds like the Church they used to go to was a different body that needed a different set of methods to develop it's maturity then the body they are now a part of. The church I "used to go to" always did things better then the church I do go to. Kind of like the ex-girlfriend my friend keeps telling his wife about (Thier now in counseling).

We need to compare ourselves and our church to the standard God established, Christ. Comparing to one another only leads to heart-ache.