PDA

View Full Version : Elijah Was A Man Just Like Us

moskal
Sep 25th 2008, 08:50 PM
James 5:17. A passage that we must constantly remind ourselves is true, because all of the great Godly people in history like Elijah and Moses and David and Paul were all simply human beings filled with the Holy Spirit. We must remember the words Jesus spoke to His disciples in John 14:2 "I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these."

Do you believe that we are capable of being as history makers like these people from the Bible? Do you believe that God can truly do this?

http://elijahwasamanjustlikeus.blogspot.com/

keck553
Sep 25th 2008, 09:43 PM
Yes, absolutely. But not in and of ourselves, but according to God's will and in His plan and purpose. God certainly can do these things through us, but He may also choose not to. The important thing is to follow Him, not our own desires.

moskal
Sep 25th 2008, 10:10 PM
dude totally. I definitely believe that, but I just feel that sometimes we do not realize the potential we have if we allow ourselves to be used by Him. Yes He may not desire us to do things that seem incredible to us visually. But he people do not always think about the find of faith Elijah had, or Jesus for that matter. People will say, "well they were way more godly than I could ever be that is how they had so much faith and were so close to God." But we have to know that we can have that same amount of faith in Him.

keck553
Sep 25th 2008, 10:24 PM
Ha, ha, well at one time I remember seeing some others and thinking "wow, they are so holy I could never be like that, no matter how good I am...." Of course now I know better.

I would say our potential is limited (or unlimited) according to our faith. God doesn't choose the equipped, He equips the chosen. Usually in our weakest area where we have the least talent and self-reliance. That's the magesty of God's glory. He's always done the most with the least.

I think one of the greatest manifestations of our service to Jesus is when we as indivduals become transparent and the lessor one, so that the Greater One can shine through.

moskal
Sep 26th 2008, 11:30 PM
I actually just found someone had posted this in a conversation about speaking in tongues, a God given gift they may seem impossible but is only possible through the Holy Spirit. He said this.

We have the same Holy Spirit within us that Paul had so we are only limited by how much we choose to yield to Him. Paul gave 99.9 % (i say that because i know Paul said he still was not perfect) so if we can yield 99.9 % we too can be where Paul was with the Lord. IF we could yield 100% we could possibly even get closer.

I have not gotten there yet but i am a great % closer than i was 15 years ago, much closer than i was 5 years ago, and even a little closer than i was 6 months ago. So i will continue to mature as long as i continue to yield when He wants me to make the next step forward.

The great thing about this is that we all have the same opportunity!
We can all grow closer to the Lord daily.

cdo
Sep 27th 2008, 03:48 AM
Moskal,
Don't get carried away with percentages in your "faith flow chart"
You are like the rest of us . Never will we be Perfect until that Glorious day of our Lord !!!
We were all given the same measure of faith, so with that it mind
faith without works is dead.
Faith in measure = measure
Grow in Faith = stronger
Faith of a mustard seed, which is the smallest of all herbs but, when grown is the biggest of all. (stronger)
:)

BroRog
Sep 27th 2008, 08:46 PM
dude totally. I definitely believe that, but I just feel that sometimes we do not realize the potential we have if we allow ourselves to be used by Him. Yes He may not desire us to do things that seem incredible to us visually. But he people do not always think about the find of faith Elijah had, or Jesus for that matter. People will say, "well they were way more godly than I could ever be that is how they had so much faith and were so close to God." But we have to know that we can have that same amount of faith in Him.

As I read the prophets, I get the complete opposite view. It isn't as if God is up stairs just waiting for folks to give him permission to be used by him. Rather, God seems to use people whether they like it or not. And the prophets themselves speak of their role as a 'burden'. Many of them fell on their faces and some of them were about to die of fear until God put strength back into them.