PDA

View Full Version : Discussion The Holy Spirit's Guidance

RickH
Sep 26th 2008, 01:09 PM
I briefly searched the forums for this type of discussion but did not see it, if it exists feel free to point me in that direction.
Okay, my understanding is that when we became Christians, God filled us with his Holy Spirit to be a comforter and helper. To me, this means that we live according to the direction that the Spirit gives us and when we do our studies we ask him to assist us with understanding so that we can live within his will.

I know that just like the physical, our spiritual wisdom grows with maturity and knowledge. Yet, we have extremely wise men and women who have dedicated their lives to research (Theologians etc.) all the way down to very recently born again Christians and we all claim to follow the Holy Spirit as he gives us guidance.

My question is this: If we are all following the Spirit's guidance, then why do we splinter off in so many directions? Does God guide us differently on different commandments? Are some of us just not listening? Do I have the purpose of the Holy Ghost confused with its true purpose?

Within my experiences I have seen very wise intelligent elders be very dogmatic within certain issues and be at polar opposites of the elders of a church right down the street! I don't wish to debate or discuss these particular examples but I just want to throw some out there so you can see where I am coming from. Some examples would be things such as Baptism (necessity vs. not necessary, full immersion vs. pouring), open/closed communion, faith is always required but works are not vs. if you have faith and love God your works will surely show. Just reading through the posts in these discussion forums we see very serious differing of opinions on very many things some of which seem very simple to many of us yet there are great divides.

Due to my job and schedule, I may not be able to answer things quickly, but I will be keeping an eye here and would love to hear some thoughts.
God bless,
Rick

Literalist-Luke
Sep 26th 2008, 02:53 PM
The simplest explanation is that our sin nature gets in the way sometimes between us and the Holy Spirit.

petepet
Sep 26th 2008, 06:55 PM
I briefly searched the forums for this type of discussion but did not see it, if it exists feel free to point me in that direction.
Okay, my understanding is that when we became Christians, God filled us with his Holy Spirit to be a comforter and helper. To me, this means that we live according to the direction that the Spirit gives us and when we do our studies we ask him to assist us with understanding so that we can live within his will.

I know that just like the physical, our spiritual wisdom grows with maturity and knowledge. Yet, we have extremely wise men and women who have dedicated their lives to research (Theologians etc.) all the way down to very recently born again Christians and we all claim to follow the Holy Spirit as he gives us guidance.

My question is this: If we are all following the Spirit's guidance, then why do we splinter off in so many directions? Does God guide us differently on different commandments? Are some of us just not listening? Do I have the purpose of the Holy Ghost confused with its true purpose?

Within my experiences I have seen very wise intelligent elders be very dogmatic within certain issues and be at polar opposites of the elders of a church right down the street! I don't wish to debate or discuss these particular examples but I just want to throw some out there so you can see where I am coming from. Some examples would be things such as Baptism (necessity vs. not necessary, full immersion vs. pouring), open/closed communion, faith is always required but works are not vs. if you have faith and love God your works will surely show. Just reading through the posts in these discussion forums we see very serious differing of opinions on very many things some of which seem very simple to many of us yet there are great divides.

Due to my job and schedule, I may not be able to answer things quickly, but I will be keeping an eye here and would love to hear some thoughts.
God bless,
Rick

If we were all immediately led to fullness of truth, truth itself would become pedantic and formal. Like learning a catechism by heart (which can initially be helpful as long as we do not stop there). It is our wrestling with truth that makes it bite deeper into our hearts, and it drives us closer to Christ. If we are truly His the Holy Spirit just stops us going right off the track.

Most of what we call 'vital truth' is of very secondary importance. Consider for example teaching on the second coming. (I will probably be shot for this, or even thrownoff the forum). It divides the American church and yet really it does not matter who is right, for it is His second coming itself which is important, and things will happen as He decides, and things might vary depending on men's choices. God's sovereignty and man's freewill acts go hand in hand. The remainder is simply icing, and we actually really do not have a clue. We are almost certainly all wrong on the detail (apart from me of course :-)))) )..

When I remember what I believed when I was an eager young Christian and had Christian doctrine almost sussed, I blush with shame. But it no doubt helped me at the time.

What the Holy Spirit is concerned to do is bring home to us the few doctrines which are central, and bring Jesus Christ home to our hearts. Only too often we hinder this by what we see as our our 'search for truth'.

If we really came to the place where we were fully conversant with right doctrine we would have no further need to delve further into the word.

After all we are studying things which are totally outside our physical experience. How can we possibly really understand them? They are almost totally outside our experience. We are like the seven blind Hindus who were studying the elephant. And yet we are so confident that we are right. Our feeble attempts will probably make us all laugh when we are on the other side. We will say, 'What fools we were'. But what the Holy Spirit is concerned with is what lies underneath our foolish ideas and His aim is to give us the strength we need,and sufficient basic knowledge to keep us from going too far astray.

I am probably not putting this very well, but it seems to me that this is the answer to your question if put properly.

RickH
Sep 26th 2008, 07:27 PM
I am probably not putting this very well, but it seems to me that this is the answer to your question if put properly.
It honestly made perfect sense! I never thought of it that way. Myself and some workmates often discuss things that we differ on and it usually leads us to a deeper study and, more often than not, a learning experience for all of us.
Thanks so much.

The simplest explanation is that our sin nature gets in the way sometimes between us and the Holy Spirit. I have been guilty of this on occasion and have had to ask forgiveness. Sometimes it is easier to think it is not meant one way so I could get by with it in another way. I don't want to open up a controversial subject so I won't mention it directly, but I feel there is one New Testament commandment that I struggle with on occasion simply because it is so easy to let the flesh make me think that it is right.
Great input so far.... Thanks a bunch!
:pp

Sold Out
Sep 29th 2008, 10:02 PM

Rick

Everything you said is 100% true! It seems like you have to wade thru the muck and mire of everybody's own ideas before you can find some truth!

God will reveal truth to YOU individually if you allow Him to. So with that said, stop looking around at the confusion and let God bring order to YOUR life thru His Word.

Most bickering with Christians is about non-heaven-or-hell issues. I try not to argue those too much. Examples would be: speaking in tongues, legalism, standards, how often to take the Lord's Supper, etc.

Just keep this statement in mind: Unity in the essentials, liberty in the non-essentials, and charity for all.

RickH
Sep 30th 2008, 01:14 PM
Most bickering with Christians is about non-heaven-or-hell issues. I try not to argue those too much. Examples would be: speaking in tongues, legalism, standards, how often to take the Lord's Supper, etc.

Just keep this statement in mind: Unity in the essentials, liberty in the non-essentials, and charity for all.
Very true statement and great statement... I'll have to remember that one! :idea:

Kahtar
Sep 30th 2008, 01:36 PM
Petepet gave you an excellent answer. I would only add the following:
As we study the Word, the Holy Spirit elightens our understanding about various things we read. He does this according what He knows we are ready for, and where we are in our walk.
Then later, we can be studying the same bit of scripture, and the Holy Spirit will again enlighten our understanding, and show us something 'new', again according to our being ready, our maturity level, etc.
This can happen many times with the same piece of scripture.
Does one negate the other? No. Both are correct, and given us by the Spirit.
But this is where many arguements ensue.
One person is at 'this' place in their walk, and understands the scripture this way, while another is at 'this' place in their walk, and understands 'this' about the scripture, and both are given by the Spirit. This does not necessarily mean that one is more developed, more mature, etc. It simply means they are in a different place.
The scripture is 'living', and the Holy Spirit is an expert in making it 'live' in us, and applying it to our lives.