PDA

View Full Version : Flipping through 1 Samuel...

faith&charity
Sep 26th 2008, 02:05 PM
I was studying yesterday and the study brought me to 1 Samuel with the story of Samson and Delilah. Samson was essentially a sucker to sensual pleasure, and his actions caused the Lord to leave him. (i can't recall the exact chapter or verse.)

I was confused on the part about God leaving him, and i cross-referenced the verse and found multiple verses in Isaiah especially about God abandoning Israel. Again, i can't remember the exact verses, but i remember something about God leaving them to their idols. Certainly this is an example of unrestrained sin, but would God really leave someone if they continued to sin?

There are so many more passages about calling on the Lord, and He will answer, and He will hear. The two sections seem to contradict each other. For the person sucked into sin, could God really "give up" on them even if they come begging to God for forgiveness? Was God leaving someone (especially Israel; Samson was later killed) only temporary?

Slug1
Sep 26th 2008, 02:19 PM
Just before Samson died He humbled himself before the Lord and God answered in a powerful way by returning His Spirit to Samson and enabled God to use him once again and kill all those worshipping 'Dagon' (I think was the false god, I don't have my Bible immediately handy). Samson killed more in that moment then he'd ever killed in his life. That was Samson's purpose but he didn't follow God and killed unrighteously and not righteously. So this was just one of the ways he didn't follow God's Will.

Anyway, we read in Hebrews 11 that Samson is in heaven. His life does show what can happen to a person with faith in God but is not obedient and does it all their way and not Gods way.

But in the end, he was repentant and God heard him and answered him showing that God's mercy is without end to those who call on Him. If Samson didn't call on God and humble himself... I really don't think we'd be reading about him being honored in Hebrews 11.

petepet
Sep 26th 2008, 10:03 PM
I was studying yesterday and the study brought me to 1 Samuel with the story of Samson and Delilah. Samson was essentially a sucker to sensual pleasure, and his actions caused the Lord to leave him. (i can't recall the exact chapter or verse.)

I was confused on the part about God leaving him, and i cross-referenced the verse and found multiple verses in Isaiah especially about God abandoning Israel. Again, i can't remember the exact verses, but i remember something about God leaving them to their idols. Certainly this is an example of unrestrained sin, but would God really leave someone if they continued to sin?

There are so many more passages about calling on the Lord, and He will answer, and He will hear. The two sections seem to contradict each other. For the person sucked into sin, could God really "give up" on them even if they come begging to God for forgiveness? Was God leaving someone (especially Israel; Samson was later killed) only temporary?

You would do better to look in Judges :-))))

We must always beware of taking too literally language which is speaking of God in human terms.

As God is aware of all things going on everywhere in His universe He could not strictly leave Samson. What he did was withhold His favour while he clung to his sin. Once he repented God was with him again.

faith&charity
Sep 26th 2008, 11:43 PM
You would do better to look in Judges :-))))

We must always beware of taking too literally language which is speaking of God in human terms.

As God is aware of all things going on everywhere in His universe He could not strictly leave Samson. What he did was withhold His favour while he clung to his sin. Once he repented God was with him again.

augh! i knew i was off! thanks for the correction :)