PDA

View Full Version : Love Lamb Shanks?

PeterJ
Sep 27th 2008, 02:03 PM
Do you love to eat Lamb shanks? how often do you have it? i bet not often?

Bethany67
Sep 28th 2008, 10:32 AM
They're pretty expensive (all decent meat is now), so not very often - maybe once every couple of months as we're cutting back on meat in general. If I see them on offer, I buy more for the freezers. I do them on low in the crockpot so they're very tender indeed and fall off the bone; sometimes I'll do them as part of a Moroccan stew with prunes or apricots and rice, or as a general roast dinner with roast potatoes etc. They're a special treat for us, and certainly cheaper than leg/shoulder of lamb, chops or neck fillet.

Today for Sunday lunch we're having roast organic freerange chicken (the legs), cranberry & orange stuffing, roast potatoes and parsnips, steamed Savoy cabbage, leeks, peas and gravy. Yum. I'll use one sliced breast for Thai tom kha gai tomorrow night, dice & freeze the other for chicken-veg stew & dumplings, pick and freeze the remains of the chicken for stirfries/risottos/curries, and simmer the carcass with onions as stock for the freezer. That's 4-5 separate meals for 2 people + a couple of pints of stock, out of one chicken. I don't believe in wasting any of it :) The cats are going to be so disappointed ...

Lynbob
Sep 29th 2008, 06:10 PM
I am so hungry now :rolleyes: