PDA

View Full Version : Discussion Muse v. Amuse

Rufus_1611
Sep 29th 2008, 12:07 PM
Muse -

"I remember the days of old; I meditate on all thy works; I muse on the work of thy hands." - Psalm 143:5

Amuse -

1. To entertain the mind agreeably; to occupy or detain attention with agreeable objects, whether by singing, conversation, or a show of curiosities. Dr.Johnson remarks, that amuse implies something less lively than divert, and less important than please. Hence it is often said, we are amused with trifles.
2. To detain; to engage the attention by hope or expectation; as, to amuse one by flattering promises. - (Webster's (http://1828.mshaffer.com/d/search/word,amuse))

To be a millenialist (regardless of the pre or post variances), suggests one who believes in the millenium. To be an amillenialist, is to be one who believes there is no millenium. Likewise, to "muse" is to think upon and to be "amused", is to not think or to have your thoughts distracted by simple pleasures.

In the year 2008, is this an age where there is much musing or much amusing going on in the world and likewise in the church? What impact is this having in this age?

Emanate
Sep 29th 2008, 06:25 PM
Muse -

"I remember the days of old; I meditate on all thy works; I muse on the work of thy hands." - Psalm 143:5
Amuse -

1. To entertain the mind agreeably; to occupy or detain attention with agreeable objects, whether by singing, conversation, or a show of curiosities. Dr.Johnson remarks, that amuse implies something less lively than divert, and less important than please. Hence it is often said, we are amused with trifles.
2. To detain; to engage the attention by hope or expectation; as, to amuse one by flattering promises. - (Webster's (http://1828.mshaffer.com/d/search/word,amuse))
To be a millenialist (regardless of the pre or post variances), suggests one who believes in the millenium. To be an amillenialist, is to be one who believes there is no millenium. Likewise, to "muse" is to think upon and to be "amused", is to not think or to have your thoughts distracted by simple pleasures.

In the year 2008, is this an age where there is much musing or much amusing going on in the world and likewise in the church? What impact is this having in this age?

I am not sure your point as it pertains to millenialism or amillenialism. If you think that amillienialists are distracted by worldly pleasure which cause them to believe that the millennium is a spiritual application and not a literal, then I am not sure you understand their views.

As far as muse and amuse, I would say that today's church (for the most part) is very much into amusement with Motivation Preachers and ministry's aimed at getting people into church by way of reflecting the world. We have lost or Passover focus of leaving Egypt.

Rufus_1611
Sep 29th 2008, 07:04 PM
I am not sure your point as it pertains to millenialism or amillenialism. If you think that amillienialists are distracted by worldly pleasure which cause them to believe that the millennium is a spiritual application and not a literal, then I am not sure you understand their views. Not related at all to the topic at hand other than to point out the significance of the "a".

As far as muse and amuse, I would say that today's church (for the most part) is very much into amusement with Motivation Preachers and ministry's aimed at getting people into church by way of reflecting the world. We have lost or Passover focus of leaving Egypt. Amen.