PDA

View Full Version : Help, please :)

mannypr7
Sep 30th 2008, 01:12 AM
God Bless U All,

HI everyone I am new to this Forum, the reason that I joined was because of the developer Corner caught my attention. I've being trying to learn programming with one unique goal so far, is that I know a person that is a Disable person and depends a lot on A computer, this person is Christian, and has a Couple of Bible softwares that she uses but they seem to be not to ergonomic... So I was trying to build a Bible Software with big readable options and easy to browse ( only using the mouse), at least for one bible version for now, The thing is that I am not a programmer, I was an IT for the Navy, but that's about it, I being studying Python, with the Hope of getting to build the software, I am tryin to do something smililar to E-Sword, E sword was good except that the words in the part where you drop down to choose the bible are too small and she can't read them, I tried to get her use the magnifier but is annoying for her since She will only need it for E-sword, So I decide it to build a software similar to webpages you know click and read..., I am willing to learn and read any references you guys give me, any tutorial in any other webpage, I have Perl, Visual Basic Express 2008, and Python in my computer I have some tutorials from them, but they are not to deep.
Please help :D Thank U very Much and God Bless Ya'll

PS: I am a Native Spanish Speaker ( born and Raise In Puerto Rico) , if you guys need help in anything let me know.

bdh
Sep 30th 2008, 07:55 PM
If you're starting off with programming, I'd recommend this site for good references on starter books http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/

AlanR742
Feb 25th 2009, 01:11 AM
I'm not sure if python would be a good choice, I would reccomend C# for programming, it's always updated with .NET and is quite extensive.

However, Visual Basic in itself could most likely satisfy your needs for a basic bible program - even gamemaker could do something like that if you're into "drag and drop."

Master Jake
Feb 25th 2009, 12:13 PM
I'm not sure if python would be a good choice, I would reccomend C# for programming, it's always updated with .NET and is quite extensive.

However, Visual Basic in itself could most likely satisfy your needs for a basic bible program - even gamemaker could do something like that if you're into "drag and drop."

Drag and Drop is so overrated. If you use Game Maker then learn the GML so you can actually program the games with it. Other recommendations would be C++ if your serious about programming, and of course Visual Basic. You could also learn web programming and build an internet version or just send her to Bible.Com, it has an online version.

AlanR742
Feb 26th 2009, 04:12 AM
Drag and Drop is so overrated. If you use Game Maker then learn the GML so you can actually program the games with it. Other recommendations would be C++ if your serious about programming, and of course Visual Basic. You could also learn web programming and build an internet version or just send her to Bible.Com, it has an online version.

C++ is very old, and sometimes a bit more akward than C# - to keep up wth the times C# would be better in terms of modernization.

You could even use delphi (which supposedly has an odd syntax), many people use it for high-end products, Didier Dambrin who created FL Studio used Delphi - Mark Overmars even used it for Gamemaker. my Publisher also uses Delphi for his security software... but it's a lot more expensive, and, not updated as frequently as C# and other microsoft apps.

Jesus Bless

Master Jake
Feb 26th 2009, 10:37 AM
C++ is very old, and sometimes a bit more akward than C# - to keep up wth the times C# would be better in terms of modernization.

....... how can you even say that. C and C++ have been used to make pretty much every good and popular game and software you've ever seen, and it will continued to be used until the world ends due to it being pretty much the best and most flexible language. It's also the hardest but learning pays off when you can make anything you want, including 20 thousand dollar software if you have that kind of time and persevere. Even the Linux OS was made in C. C# is still in its baby stages IMO. I started learning it but decided to put it on hold a while back as I wanted to venture deeper in C++. You don't hear people say this very often.

Cool, what'd you make it in, C#?

Side Note: Java is fun too, and works on a lot of stuff :)

AlanR742
Feb 27th 2009, 09:35 PM
....... how can you even say that. C and C++ have been used to make pretty much every good and popular game and software you've ever seen, and it will continued to be used until the world ends due to it being pretty much the best and most flexible language. It's also the hardest but learning pays off when you can make anything you want, including 20 thousand dollar software if you have that kind of time and persevere. Even the Linux OS was made in C. C# is still in its baby stages IMO. I started learning it but decided to put it on hold a while back as I wanted to venture deeper in C++. You don't hear people say this very often.

Cool, what'd you make it in, C#?

Side Note: Java is fun too, and works on a lot of stuff :)

Oh I don't program with those, I'm just accustomed to what my friend always tells me (he's always harping about programming - he told me C# was better than C++), if I were to program, I'd want to use delphi.
I do however program math applications on my calculator (TI-83 Plus silver) - and also program with gamemaker (I don't use the drag and drop unless I'm lazy - the drag and drop actions actually make the game run slower - kind of like the difference between Assembly and BASIC).

I tired giving Visual Basic attention, but, programming isn't always my fancy, perhaps I might give it another go. But I'm busy with lots of research and math homework at the moment.

Master Jake
Feb 28th 2009, 12:42 PM
I'm learning C at the moment. I would recommend C then C++ to anyone who wants to make whatever they want at will. C#... meh. It's OK but nothing too fancy.

Ecumaniac
Mar 8th 2009, 03:45 PM
Java, heavens no! I learned that language at university, and I honestly don't recommend it for serious programming.

Aside from being slow, its UI philosophy is problematic. You cannot simply design one interface and expect it to be acceptable on all platforms. Different operating systems demand an experience tailored to their own native features, standards and idioms, or you get an end product which, on all platforms, can be said to "work" but feels unfinished.

That said, I'm going to offer a surprising alternative and say, why not consider writing an online application? You can use Javascript for any programming, and you can adjust the text to her liking with CSS. Take a look at the ESV Bible web service (http://www.gnpcb.org/esv/share/services/) for a start.

Why don't I care about the fact that JS is far slower and less consistant than Java? Because in this context speed isn't really important, and platform consistancy is not generally expected on the web. My objections to Java are on more general terms, not to mention that in this specific case it seems like overkill. :)

delawarerj
Jan 24th 2011, 04:34 PM
Although I'm relatively new to the Python programming language, it seems to have some strengths which might make it a good choice for you:

1. It's relatively easy to learn. Our homeschooled son and I learned some of the basics of it from a book called "Hello World!: Computer Programming for Kids and Other Beginners" writen by a man and his school-age son. (See http://www.manning.com/sande/.) I've even seen an online course (http://www.openbookproject.net/pybiblio/gasp/) developed for teaching Python to 4th and 5th grade students.

2. Some good, free online English-language (and 1 also in SPANISH) Python materials I'd recommend to anyone interested in learning it are:

A. Wikibook's online (HTML) "Python Programming" book (and a downloadable PDF version) at http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Python_Programming.

B. Professor Allen B. Downey's online course materials (http://allendowney.com/sd08spr/) for his "Software Design - Spring 2008" course (taught at Massachusetts' Olin College of Engineering). PDF versions of the course textbook "How to Think Like A Computer Scientist: Learning with Python", are available in English, SPANISH, Italian, Portuguest, and German from http://www.greenteapress.com/thinkpython/thinkCSpy/.

I see that there are quite a few other Spanish-language Python resources listed at http://wiki.python.org/moin/SpanishLanguage.

And the BibleDatabase program (http://bibledatabase.com/index.php) has Bible modules in English, Spanish, and several other languages.
By His abounding, exceeding, sufficient, saving, justifying, manifold, true grace,
(Romans 5:17, 2 Corinthians 9:14; 2 Corinthians 12:9; Ephesians 2:5, 8; Titus 3:7; 1 Peter 4:10, 1 Peter 5:12)

- RJ in Delaware
C>

God Bless U All,

HI everyone I am new to this Forum, the reason that I joined was because of the developer Corner caught my attention. I've being trying to learn programming with one unique goal so far, is that I know a person that is a Disable person and depends a lot on A computer, this person is Christian, and has a Couple of Bible softwares that she uses but they seem to be not to ergonomic... So I was trying to build a Bible Software with big readable options and easy to browse ( only using the mouse), at least for one bible version for now, The thing is that I am not a programmer, I was an IT for the Navy, but that's about it, I being studying Python, with the Hope of getting to build the software, I am tryin to do something smililar to E-Sword, E sword was good except that the words in the part where you drop down to choose the bible are too small and she can't read them, I tried to get her use the magnifier but is annoying for her since She will only need it for E-sword, So I decide it to build a software similar to webpages you know click and read..., I am willing to learn and read any references you guys give me, any tutorial in any other webpage, I have Perl, Visual Basic Express 2008, and Python in my computer I have some tutorials from them, but they are not to deep.
Please help :D Thank U very Much and God Bless Ya'll

PS: I am a Native Spanish Speaker ( born and Raise In Puerto Rico) , if you guys need help in anything let me know.