PDA

View Full Version : Down to nothing.

Kelly12345
Sep 30th 2008, 04:07 AM
Do you believe the phrase, "When you are down to nothing, God is up to something?" Sometimes I feel I am down to nothing. No friends, no one to speak to, no loving relationships, no nothing...

What is your take on this?

Richard H
Sep 30th 2008, 06:18 AM
Hi Kelly,
It’s all those people who seem to have “the life”, who are lacking.
But you know the author and giver of Life eternal.
You know Jesus! He’s EVERYTHING! :pp

OK, It is tough. I know.
Are there any groups you could join at your church?
If not, perhaps you could start one.

Get involved in activities where you meet people – then you’re more likely to find relationships.

You always have friends :hug: here, but you also need to meet people in the real world. They aren’t going to come to your door.

In the mean time, get out and take a walk every day.
Breathe in God’s air, and remember to SMILE. :idea:
You’ll find that some people smile back.

Richard

turtledove
Sep 30th 2008, 12:03 PM
Do you believe the phrase, "When you are down to nothing, God is up to something?" Sometimes I feel I am down to nothing. No friends, no one to speak to, no loving relationships, no nothing...

Hi Kelly, :hug: My take is that the Lord is there no matter how alone we feel. It can help at a time like this to reach out to others even giving them support and comfort. There is always someone who even needs it more than us.

2 Cor. 1:3-4 "Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God."

Peace and blessings....:pray:

karenoka27
Sep 30th 2008, 12:38 PM

This is a great question!
There could be many reasons why we all go through this. There are times when the Lord might need to pull us out so to speak, to get our attention regarding a certain area in our life. I always look at it as a form of discipline..but in a good way.
Hebrews 12:6-"because the Lord disciplines those he loves,
and he punishes everyone he accepts as a son."
When I feel the way you do, I ask the Lord to search my heart:
Psalm 139:23-24-"Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts and See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting."

If you sense there is something you need to change, well praise God for showing you. Remember we are being conformed into the image of His Son, so we need to have us taken out more and more.

But maybe the Lord is drawing you closer to Him.
James 4:8-"Come near to God and he will come near to you."
These are precious times that the Lord pulls us out, just so we might spend time with just Him. He really loves you, and wants you to spend time with just Him!

It is only for a time..I am not God and I don't know His thoughts so I can only guess. But I know that what I have shared have truly turned into blessings for me.

daughter
Sep 30th 2008, 03:14 PM

There is one person who you can always talk to, who always loves you, who is always your friend.

In the last few years I've often felt as you do. Yet in the middle of all that I've found that Jesus Christ has never once let me down - even when I've let Him down, even when I've felt so sorry for myself I didn't even want to talk to Him, because I just wanted to enjoy my own sorrow. (I don't know if that makes sense.)

But the point is, even when I've been, and believed myself, to be utterly unlovable, He has loved me, and stayed with me, and cherished me.

Honestly, sister, I promise you, He loves you more than you can know.

Emily
Sep 30th 2008, 09:40 PM
Hi Kelly! I know JUST how you feel, sister. :hug: Check out today's "Today God Is First" devotional by Os Hillman, I think it was written just to answer your question. :idea: Coincidence? ;) This has blessed me today, I hope it does the same for you. :)

September 30

Seeing the Big Picture

Genesis 42:36
..."Everything is against me!"

Jacob had come to the end of his rope. He had lost Joseph. Simeon was in jail in Egypt. Now, in order to free Simeon, Benjamin, Jacob's youngest son, would have to go to Egypt. It was more than Jacob could handle. Jacob could not see the years of preparation for what would be the most exciting time of his life and the life of a nation. The darkest hour is the hour just before daybreak. Jacob was in his darkest hour just before God's daybreak in his life. God's big picture is often too big for us to comprehend. The heartaches don't seem to add up, but Jacob was about to understand the big picture.
Eventually, Benjamin along with Jacob's other sons learned that their brother Joseph was second in command in Egypt. Joseph revealed his identity, and Jacob was reunited with his son whom he had not seen for more than 13 years. He had thought Joseph to be dead.

So often we believe our dreams are dead. There seems to be nothing left in our world to live for. Everything appears to be against us. During these times, God is doing His deepest behind-the-scenes work. During these times, God is performing a deeper work in each of us-a work that cannot be seen.
When clients began leaving my ad agency and it dried up for no apparent reason, it appeared "everything was against me." I could not see that God was orchestrating a whole new calling on my life. At the moment, it seemed like the worst thing in the world. It seemed that I had been a failure. But God said, "No." All the years before had been preparation for what God's ultimate calling would be. One of God's methods for directing His children's steps is through drying up resources: a job loss, a career change, or a disaster. In these times we are willing to listen more intently, and to seek God in ways we would not normally do. C.S. Lewis once wrote, "God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks in our conscience, but shouts in our pains; it is His megaphone to rouse a deaf world." [C.S.Lewis, The Problem of Pain (New York: Macmillan Publishing Company, 1962), 93.]

You can sign up for Os Hillman's devotionals here: http://www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/marketplace/ (http://www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/marketplace/)

They have tons of different devotionals on crosswalk.com too, look around for someone you like if Hillman isn't your type. :)