PDA

View Full Version : Mormons?

Defender of Christ
Sep 30th 2008, 02:37 PM
Hello everyone,

I have a question hopefully someone can answer.

First off I want to stary by saying I am a Christian.

Ok, here's my question..

Two Mormon teenagers keep appearing at my front door every Friday, and they want to teach me about Joseph Smith, but to be honest, I'm not really interested in learning about Mormonism. Simply because I believe Revelation was the end of God's word to the world.

Am I right or wrong?

mikeynash
Sep 30th 2008, 02:47 PM
hmmm, a hotly debated topic. Typically ending up in stalemate, however there are 1 or 2 points to bear in mind her.

Firstly. when Jesus was here... did he ever just reveal himself to just 1 person and tell them to do something without speaking to a load of other people too?

The revalation to which mormons speak is "unconfirmed" which means that he may be telling the truth, but knowing how God works from studying his word, it makes no sense to me why God would choose to reveal himself to just one person.

daughter
Sep 30th 2008, 03:06 PM
You are absolutely correct. Pray for the young men, but don't let them into your house! I have been running into Mormons recently, and they can do a lot of damage.

mikeynash
Sep 30th 2008, 03:08 PM
They can make you question all that you hold dear also. They're words seem like wisdom, but unfortunately for them, it is not grounded in the word of God.... and as I tell my youth, it doesn't measure up to the bible, its not right.

xSTEADFASTx
Sep 30th 2008, 03:58 PM
dont answer the front door :)

mikeynash
Sep 30th 2008, 04:01 PM
Have you forgotten all that the bible says about Hospitality?

xSTEADFASTx
Sep 30th 2008, 04:36 PM
theres hospitality; but ehn again; if you ask nicely for them not to come back and they still come back; why be hospitable?

Just a Door Keeper
Sep 30th 2008, 04:41 PM
read 2 John 9,10,11

Orendorf
Sep 30th 2008, 04:44 PM
Offer them a beer, they'll stay away.

A820djd
Sep 30th 2008, 05:00 PM
Christian Vs Mormon (sorta)

Viewer discretion is advised.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtXhSMEzQSs

threebigrocks
Sep 30th 2008, 05:47 PM
Viewer discretion advised - but only if you are Mormon... I'm sorry, but those were two very sad witnesses for Mr. Smith. Shut down in the name of Jesus Christ! Hooohaaa! :pp

AngelAuthor
Sep 30th 2008, 06:35 PM
Christian Vs Mormon (sorta)

Viewer discretion is advised.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtXhSMEzQSs
WOW... PWNAGE!!!

That was way cool to watch! :pp

Defender of Christ
Sep 30th 2008, 07:18 PM
You are absolutely correct. Pray for the young men, but don't let them into your house! I have been running into Mormons recently, and they can do a lot of damage.

Hello everyone, and thanks for the great responses!! But this one here caught my eye. Reason being, I already let them into my house the very first time they appeared. I was very polite, because I do understand that they worship the same God as me. So I was not mean or hostile in any way. They left me the 'Book of Mormons' and he gave me specific verses to read.. I guess this will convince me, I don't know. Well, whatever the case maybe, I am sticking to what Christianity stands for! And that's to believe Jesus Christ was the word to man from God and no some guy from the 15th century named Joseph Smith.

I know Revelation means, "Uncovering something," but I also believe it was the final chapter of God's word to the human race.

Am I wrong in saying this to a pair of Mormons?

Jurell
Sep 30th 2008, 07:37 PM
Instead of battling words for words, and wits for wits... why not just take the simple route of just putting a "No Solicitation" in the window or on the front door?

Defender of Christ
Sep 30th 2008, 07:42 PM
Instead of battling words for words, and wits for wits... why not just take the simple route of just putting a "No Solicitation" in the window or on the front door?

I know, you are right. I just don't understand why Christians have to try and convince other Christians. I mean, I'm already a believer.. go bother someone else. lol :B

AngelAuthor
Sep 30th 2008, 08:19 PM
Next time I recommend you speak to these gentlemen on your doorstep. Do not invite them in, do not wish them "God speed" for in doing so you'd be lying. You don't wish them well on their mission...their mission is to subvert the cause of Christ.

Take the Book of Mormon from your house and shred it or burn it lest it fall into other hands. If you entertain other Christians or the unsaved in your home, their seeing it on the bookshelf gives credence and a testimony to that hellish faith by virtue of your Christianity.

If you feel led to work on these men, then do so after first arming yourself fully for the battle. There are many good books out there on witnessing to Mormons that will show you step by step what arguments they will bring up and counter them. I bet you could find such information in a decent Google Search.

markedward
Oct 1st 2008, 05:47 AM
Hello everyone, and thanks for the great responses!! But this one here caught my eye. Reason being, I already let them into my house the very first time they appeared. I was very polite, because I do understand that they worship the same God as me. So I was not mean or hostile in any way. They left me the 'Book of Mormons'A. There is absolutely nothing wrong with simply having a couple of Mormons in your house. Them simply being inside of the place you live is not going to somehow corrupt your soul, as others would have you believe. This a pathetic legalistic rule used by Christians to entrap Christians, just as the Pharisees tried to entrap Christ for being in the company of tax-collectors, prostitutes, and sinners in general.

B. Mormons do not worship the same God as Christians. Christians believe that God is three persons who are One God. Mormons believe that there are three distinct gods who make up the "office" of the trinity, and that god (the father) is a physical tangible being who had sex with a goddess, and that Jesus is a created being, and is the brother of Satan. Christians believe that God is eternal and has always existed, and that man will always be incomparable to God. Mormons believe that god is from a distant planet named Kolob, and that he was once a mere man who became a god. By definition, Mormons are not Christians.

C. There is nothing inherently wrong with owning the Book of Mormon, though it is something you should be careful if you choose to read it. Don't read it just because a couple of Mormons told you to. But simply owning the Book of Mormon, if at least for the sake of studying it to know what it is the religion believes, is not wrong. After all, how can a Christian properly witness to the Mormons if they don't even know what it is that the Mormons believe that disagrees with what the Bible actually teaches? So, keep the Book of Mormon if you see it fit for studying for the purposes of witnessing to Mormons (I would recommend visiting websites such as CARM if you intend to do this), but if you see no purpose in owning it, then trash it (as Angyl suggested, burning it would be the best solution in a case as this).

daughter
Oct 1st 2008, 07:58 AM
Have you forgotten all that the bible says about Hospitality?
The Bible also says that we shouldn't even eat with those who deny the Lord who saved them.
2 John 1:10 If there come any unto you and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him Godspeed; 11 for he that biddeth him Godspeed is a partaker of his evil deeds.

daughter
Oct 1st 2008, 08:07 AM
Hello everyone, and thanks for the great responses!! But this one here caught my eye. Reason being, I already let them into my house the very first time they appeared. I was very polite, because I do understand that they worship the same God as me. So I was not mean or hostile in any way. They left me the 'Book of Mormons' and he gave me specific verses to read.. I guess this will convince me, I don't know. Well, whatever the case maybe, I am sticking to what Christianity stands for! And that's to believe Jesus Christ was the word to man from God and no some guy from the 15th century named Joseph Smith.

I know Revelation means, "Uncovering something," but I also believe it was the final chapter of God's word to the human race.

I know how you feel... I got into the same situation with some Jehova's Witnesses. It took ages for me to realise that they were really not interested in Jesus, but only in undermining my faith.

Pray about what to do, and ask God to help you. The Bible is quite clear on what to do - I know how hard it is, but don't give the enemy a toe hold. Explain to the men that you know that Jesus is God almighty, and that since they don't believe that, and since they want to deny Him, you can't in all honesty let them in. If they were people who were denying and undermining your mother or your wife's good name, you'd have no problem showing them the door. That's how I explained my situation when I asked the Witnesses not to come back, and it worked. In fact, one of them who works locally, seems to respect my opinion more these days, and asks some non "JW" approved questions, without his minder being always on his back. So just trust God. I'm praying for your situation to improve.

Orendorf
Oct 1st 2008, 02:33 PM
Lots of good responses in this thread but I still think my answer was the easiest :D

mcgyver
Oct 1st 2008, 02:48 PM
A. There is absolutely nothing wrong with simply having a couple of Mormons in your house. Them simply being inside of the place you live is not going to somehow corrupt your soul, as others would have you believe. This a pathetic legalistic rule used by Christians to entrap Christians, just as the Pharisees tried to entrap Christ for being in the company of tax-collectors, prostitutes, and sinners in general.

B. Mormons do not worship the same God as Christians. Christians believe that God is three persons who are One God. Mormons believe that there are three distinct gods who make up the "office" of the trinity, and that god (the father) is a physical tangible being who had sex with a goddess, and that Jesus is a created being, and is the brother of Satan. Christians believe that God is eternal and has always existed, and that man will always be incomparable to God. Mormons believe that god is from a distant planet named Kolob, and that he was once a mere man who became a god. By definition, Mormons are not Christians.

C. There is nothing inherently wrong with owning the Book of Mormon, though it is something you should be careful if you choose to read it. Don't read it just because a couple of Mormons told you to. But simply owning the Book of Mormon, if at least for the sake of studying it to know what it is the religion believes, is not wrong. After all, how can a Christian properly witness to the Mormons if they don't even know what it is that the Mormons believe that disagrees with what the Bible actually teaches? So, keep the Book of Mormon if you see it fit for studying for the purposes of witnessing to Mormons (I would recommend visiting websites such as CARM if you intend to do this), but if you see no purpose in owning it, then trash it (as Angyl suggested, burning it would be the best solution in a case as this).

100% agreement here!

Even though the Mormons (LDS) use Christian terminology, they are not Christian nor is their God (they use the Hebrew name "Elohim" BTW) the God of the Bible.

Years ago, the LDS were known as "god makers", as their theology teaches that if one is a good enough Mormon...then they will reach a state of "exaltation" wherein they themselves will become gods to populate and rule over their own planet...:rolleyes:

Cloudwalker
Oct 1st 2008, 04:06 PM
The expression about what they believe that I learnd goes like this.

"As we are God once was. As God is we shall become."

mcgyver
Oct 1st 2008, 04:51 PM
Yep

Fifth LDS President Lorenzo Snow declared in June of 1840, "As man is, God once was; as God is, man may become." :rolleyes:

And FWIW the LDS consider their president to be a "living prophet". Ergo...if there is a problem...just get a new revelation from the "living prophet" and boom...problem goes away (sigh)

daughter
Oct 1st 2008, 05:01 PM
You might find this an interesting video to watch. It's a cartoon version of what Mormon's believe... and has been banned by the Mormon church. Pretty damning stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy0d1HbItOo&feature=rec-fresh

David Taylor
Oct 1st 2008, 07:25 PM
Hello everyone,

I have a question hopefully someone can answer.

First off I want to stary by saying I am a Christian.

Ok, here's my question..

Two Mormon teenagers keep appearing at my front door every Friday, and they want to teach me about Joseph Smith, but to be honest, I'm not really interested in learning about Mormonism. Simply because I believe Revelation was the end of God's word to the world.

Am I right or wrong?

Just remember that what Mormons believe is much, much different that what historic Christianity has and does believe; although now adays, they use the term Christian to describe themselves to be more palatable; as if Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian, and Mormon are all about the same.

They believe in Polythiesm.
They believe that God was once a man of flesh and bones; and attained Godhood.
They believe they can oneday become the God of their own world.
They believe Jesus is the furthest exalted human from this planet on his way to becoming a god of his owm planet.
They believe that God the Father is still in a flesh and blood body, and that the Father with his flesh and blood body (not the Holy Spirit), had physical sexual intercourse with mary to procreate Jesus.
They believe that there is no hell, and no punishment for the wicked.

They believe many, many things that the Bible and Christianity strongly disagree with; and if you aren't familiar with them; their double-talk and teaching techniques can trip you up.

They use our words, "born-again", "resurrection", "salvation", etc...but they redefine them completely differently in the LDS paradigm.