PDA

View Full Version : Discussion When god said ..

aiitexx
Sep 30th 2008, 06:11 PM
Okay, my question is, when Jesus said

Delight in me and I will give you
the desires of your heart.
Psalm 37:4

For it is I who gave you those desires.
Philippians 2:13

Does that mean, that whatever i love doing most, is because of him? and because he given me the desire to love / want to do these things??

Kahtar
Sep 30th 2008, 06:14 PM
Not necessarily. If you are not delighting in the Lord, then your desires are most likely carnal, and not from Him.
First, delight in Him. Then, examine the desires of your heart.
Those desires that go against God's Word are not from Him, but from YOU.Make sense?

aiitexx
Sep 30th 2008, 06:29 PM
yeah, sorta. cause like all the sudden i gotten the desire to do something i never thought I'll do. idk if its me or if its him.

karenoka27
Sep 30th 2008, 06:30 PM
That's a neat question.
When we surrender our desires for the Lord's, we no longer desire the things of this earth.
I think of Proverbs 16:16-" 16 How much better to get wisdom than gold,
to choose understanding rather than silver!"
Our God wants us to desire what He has for us which is so much more than material things that fade away.

So when He says in His Word:

Delight in me and I will give you
the desires of your heart.
Psalm 37:4

We need to do just that. Delight ourselves in Him. We need to come to a place where the desires of our heart are to have and know more of Him.

He can bless us with anything whenever He wants, what a precious thing it is to be blessed with His wisdom that comes from above.

Richard H
Sep 30th 2008, 06:48 PM
Okay, my question is, when Jesus said

Does that mean, that whatever i love doing most, is because of him? and because he given me the desire to love / want to do these things??
Hi aiitexx, :)
Dunno where you captured the scripture quotes.
Sometimes, it is good to realize that these two lines are from different books and so the actual context may be different.
One line may serve to add understanding of the other.
(Notice that I too have used two lines from two books in my own signature.)
However, doing this is really taking things out of context, and so the conclusion may not be in line with the intent of the Word.

Now, as to one of the actual quotes: The King James has this:
For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.
Php 2:33

The quote used may have been from the Living Bible, which may not really accurate at all.

Using a more literal translation gives a better understanding, but one line speaks of our desires and then the other speaks of God’s desires.

It seems the person quoting these lines is trying to say: that when we desire what God desires, he will grant us our desires.

Fair enough. Still, always check the contexts.

Richard