PDA

View Full Version : Discussion In Christ name we pray...

uric3
Oct 1st 2008, 04:01 PM
I was talking with a friend and co-worker about the Bible and one of the subjects we talked about was prayer. After talking and reading a few things, it got me to thinking. Every since I can remember I have always heard people end prayers with "...in Jesus name we/I pray. Amen"

To my surprise there is no example of this or prayer recorded in the Bible with that tacked on the end so to speak.

Note: I am not saying there is necessarily anything wrong with it...

It just got me to thinking how wide spread it is... and I can about bet you, if someone ended a prayer without "...in Jesus name...'' someone one would think you didn't pray correctly or something...

Any thoughts or ideas as to where this mindset that we have to say in Jesus name we/I pray came from... and if you think we must end the prayer by saying in his name... can you provide scripture as to why.

jessiejane
Oct 1st 2008, 04:23 PM
John 15:16 " You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit - fruit that will last. The Father will give you whatever you ask in my name."

John 16:23 " In that day you will no longer ask me anything. I tell you the truth, my Father will give you whatever you ask in my name."

John 14:13-14 " And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. You may ask me for anything in my name and I will do it."

kf4zmt
Oct 1st 2008, 04:31 PM
What does it mean to do something "in the name of"?

Reynolds357
Oct 1st 2008, 04:53 PM
I was talking with a friend and co-worker about the Bible and one of the subjects we talked about was prayer. After talking and reading a few things, it got me to thinking. Every since I can remember I have always heard people end prayers with "...in Jesus name we/I pray. Amen"

To my surprise there is no example of this or prayer recorded in the Bible with that tacked on the end so to speak.

Note: I am not saying there is necessarily anything wrong with it...

It just got me to thinking how wide spread it is... and I can about bet you, if someone ended a prayer without "...in Jesus name...'' someone one would think you didn't pray correctly or something...

Any thoughts or ideas as to where this mindset that we have to say in Jesus name we/I pray came from... and if you think we must end the prayer by saying in his name... can you provide scripture as to why.

Jesus instructed us to ask of The Father in His name. His name is Jesus. His name is not Christ. Christ was His position. Jesus is His name.

Theophilus
Oct 1st 2008, 04:59 PM
What does it mean to do something "in the name of"?
Briefly, it means doing something "in the power and authority of " whoever is named. It is where your authority to do something is derived from.

If you're petitioning God the Father for something, and end your prayer in, "...in Jesus name...", you're saying that your Saviour has given you the authority to ask.

The apologetics site, Stand to Reason (str.org) has a great article on this very topic, titled "In Jesus Name". It's been awhile since I read it, but I think I've got the gist of it.

keck553
Oct 1st 2008, 05:15 PM
I would love to address this. My posts sometimes don't immediately address the point, but I do like to establsih some things so that my point makes sense, so please bear with me.

To pray in the spirit of God is to be alighned with God because we know Him and walk with Him. A good example is in a marriage. A husband or wife usually know what their spouse will want, say or think when approached about any given subject even before they ask. This is because the 'know' each other well. The 'walk' with each other.

Knowing God and praying His will comes by walking with Him when we read, study, memorize, meditate and pray His word. John 15:4 says "Stay united with me, as I will with you - for just as the branch can't put forth fruit by itself apart from the vine, so you can't bear fruit apart from me."

In the NT, the word 'pray' is often used to describle people who beg, beseech or implore of God. The Greek word used most for "pray" is "proseuchomai." The first usage in the NT of this word is in Matthew 5:44:

"But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you."

If you have ever had an enemy, you know how hard it is to pray for them. However, if you have prayed for them, you also know how powerful God is to heal your heart from bitterness and unforgiveness because of whay you pray. There is a great and mighty power of God in a relationship with Him as we pray, or communicate witih Him. God has given His word which shows how to pray. In His word according to His will is the power to bring forth His Kingdom.

"...whatever you ask the Father in my name, He may give it to you." - John 15:16

"Untill now, you have asked nothing in my name. Ask and you shall receive that your joy may be full" - John 16:24

There is an emplasis in asking in Yeshua's (Jesus) name. Why? Beacause Yeshua was 100% man, and 100% God. As High Priest, only He can approach the Father on our behalf. Because He is man, and He experienced human hunger, thrist, pain, temptation, hardship, joy, love, and all other human conditions, He can sympathize with our struggles. Yeshua is the ultimate intermediary between us and the Father.

There is no other way to approach the Father, but through His Son.

Scruffy Kid
Oct 1st 2008, 05:28 PM
Some other texts relevant to the idea of praying in Jesus name:

Acts 3:6 Then Peter said, Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk.

Acts 19:5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

Eph 5:20 Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;

Col 3:17 And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

Jas 5:14 Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil, in the name of the Lord:

uric3
Oct 1st 2008, 06:37 PM
I want to thank you for your replies and after the replies of Theophilus and Scruffy Kid I'll take it a little further. As mentioned to do something in the name of is to do it by the authority of as mentioned by Theophilus.

Scruffy Kid mentioned a few passages that takes the point a little further. Notice passages he mentioned such as Col 3:17

Col 3:17 And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

Notice this is the same as what we see in Eph 5:20

Eph 5:20 Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;

Think about it when you fix breakfast this morning did you say "In the name of Jesus I am fixing breakfast." Or when you started your car to go to work did you say "In the name of Jesus I start my car?" Obviously not... Just everything we do in our Christian lives is done in the authority of...

So when we pray we are doing it in the authority of Christ... however God already knows that... so is it necessary to say "...in Jesus name we pray." after every prayer?

Note: Once again I'm not saying its wrong to do so... I am just asking is it wrong if we don't say it... and if so why.

Firstfruits
Oct 1st 2008, 06:56 PM
Some other texts relevant to the idea of praying in Jesus name:

Acts 3:6 Then Peter said, Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk.

Acts 19:5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

Jas 5:14 Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil, in the name of the Lord:

Amen!

Firstfruits

Emanate
Oct 1st 2008, 07:15 PM
In first century Judaism and Rabbinic Literature, "in the name of" is a term used quite frequently. It is as some of said, speaking by the authority of given name. You will find many mentions of Rabbi "such and such" said in the name of Rabbi "so and so". It implies authority in terms of legal religious jurisdiction. Y'shua has given us the name above all names in which to apply our walk and authority as believers.

RoadWarrior
Oct 1st 2008, 07:24 PM
When a country sends out ambassadors, they are carefully chosen and trained for the job. When they go and speak to leaders in other countries, they are speaking with the voice of the country ... they represent the thinking, values and ideals of their own country.

Jesus trained the disciples so that when they went and spoke, they would be doing and speaking exactly as He would do. They were to go forth in the thinking, values and ideals of Jesus - the "ways" of Jesus.

This is why it is important for a new Christian to be discipled ... just as Jesus spent three years discipling his apostles. If one goes out and claims to speak in the name of Jesus, but does not speak according to the Ways of Jesus, that one is speaking fraudulently.

If we pray our own will or thoughts or plans, and tag "in Jesus' name" onto the end of the prayer, that prayer has no value before God. He will recognize the Way of His son, and can tell the difference. If we want to be able to pray powerful, effective prayers, then we must become like Jesus in all our ways and all our thoughts and all our desires.

Truly praying in Jesus' name is praying the same prayer that Jesus would pray in the same circumstances.

kf4zmt
Oct 1st 2008, 08:06 PM
The Bible definitely teaches that Jesus is our mediator, but does that mean we pray through him? 1 Tim 2:3-5 says He is our mediator in terms of salvation:

3 This is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour; 4 who would have all men to be saved, and come to the knowledge of the truth. 5 For there is one God, one mediator also between God and men, himself man, Christ Jesus, 6 who gave himself a ransom for all...The context of this passage is salvation. Note that it does not say anything about prayer. In connection with this, note Hebrews 9:11-12:

11 But Christ having come a high priest of the good things to come, through the greater and more perfect tabernacle, not made with hands, that is to say, not of this creation, 12 nor yet through the blood of goats and calves, but through his own blood, entered in once for all into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption. He entered into the holy place once to intercede and obtain redemption for us. Remember that when Christ died, the veil of the temple was torn in two symbolizing that there no longer remains a barrier between the Christian and God. This is why we are able to "draw near with boldness unto the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy, and may find grace to help us in time of need" (Heb 4:16).

I humbly ask, "Where is the passage that says we are to pray through Jesus to reach God"? Because of what Jesus did (Jesus took the barrier away), we have direct access to God. We are able to pray directly to God because we derive our authority to do so from Jesus - that is, we pray in Jesus' name.

Does this mean we have to actually state in our prayers somewhere that we are praying by Jesus' authority? We can if we choose, but does that make the prayer any more acceptable to God than if we don't? I can't see any reason why it would.

That is my two cents worth. I look forward to hearing other's thoughts. :D

RoadWarrior
Oct 1st 2008, 08:37 PM
I humbly ask, "Where is the passage that says we are to pray through Jesus to reach God"? Because of what Jesus did (Jesus took the barrier away), we have direct access to God. We are able to pray directly to God because we derive our authority to do so from Jesus - that is, we pray in Jesus' name.

Does this mean we have to actually state in our prayers somewhere that we are praying by Jesus' authority? We can if we choose, but does that make the prayer any more acceptable to God than if we don't?

That is my two cents worth. I look forward to hearing other's thoughts. :D

When the disciples asked Jesus, "Teach us to pray..." He began this way:
"Our Father..."

So we pray to the Father.

Sometimes when we do not know how to pray as we ought, the Holy Spirit intervenes "with groanings too deep to be uttered."

If we are praying as Jesus would pray in the same circumstances, we might say, "Father, Jesus taught us this while He was here ..."

keck553
Oct 1st 2008, 08:39 PM
kf4zmt,

This is what Yeshua says:

Joh 14:6 Yeshua said, "I AM the Way — and the Truth and the Life; no one comes to the Father except through me.

Kind of leaves unbelievinig Jews without a Temple and Priest to enter the Holy of Holies on their behalf in a tough spot, don't you think?

chal
Oct 1st 2008, 09:55 PM
So when we pray we are doing it in the authority of Christ... however God already knows that... so is it necessary to say "...in Jesus name we pray." after every prayer?

Note: Once again I'm not saying its wrong to do so... I am just asking is it wrong if we don't say it... and if so why.

chal> I don't think it's necessary to state it each time you pray, but to be aware of the concept and do so in that spirit. However as a former Sunday School teacher and Elder, I found that it is edifying to people who are young in the faith to actually hear it stated. I even did a SS class on this topic, discussing *why* we pray in His name.

kf4zmt
Oct 2nd 2008, 01:46 PM
This is what Yeshua says:

Joh 14:6 Yeshua said, "I AM the Way and the Truth and the Life; no one comes to the Father except through me.

Kind of leaves unbelievinig Jews without a Temple and Priest to enter the Holy of Holies on their behalf in a tough spot, don't you think? I'd say that it leaves all unbelievers in a tough spot.

graceforme
Oct 2nd 2008, 07:01 PM
Prayer in the Old Testament times was based upon a covenant relationship with God, or it was an appeal to His revealed nature as merciful, gracious, etc. Today prayer is based upon the redemptive work of Christ, whose death opened the way for us into the Father's presence. This is why acceptable prayer today is offered "in Jesus' Name". In John 14:6, Jesus told his disciples "I am the way, the truth, and the life; no man cometh unto the Father but by me."

Philippians 4:6-7 says, "Be careful for nothing, but in everything, by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known unto God: And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."

God Bless.

Emanate
Oct 2nd 2008, 08:36 PM
Prayer in the Old Testament times was based upon a covenant relationship with God, or it was an appeal to His revealed nature as merciful, gracious, etc. Today prayer is based upon the redemptive work of Christ, whose death opened the way for us into the Father's presence.

The latter also being a covenant.