PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice: my friend believes different

belville
Oct 2nd 2008, 05:16 AM
my friend believes in evolution and i feel bad and know only God can change him. he said if i could prove to him that there is eveidence God is real then he might believe there is a God i know only bGod can do this but do you know any scripture i can toss at him and also away to defend my faith/christian belief against a wiccain:hmm:
:note:

Revinius
Oct 2nd 2008, 03:07 PM
ask him if he can prove God isnt real...

belville
Oct 3rd 2008, 05:23 AM
he sya there is no evidence,... but that is smart to do what Jesus did and ask a question back
see=John 10:22-42 please read

Revinius
Oct 3rd 2008, 08:00 AM
The root of the problem isnt evidence, evidence for him is an excuse, a wall he is putting up to block Jesus in his life. He doesnt want to explore it because deep down he doesnt want it to be right. The best way to witness to someone like him is to simply bring them into your life, show them what it is to live like Christ. Show him Gods people and he will questions himself more deeply than any apologist can question him.

Athanasius
Oct 3rd 2008, 09:36 AM
Here's the trick: don't focus on evolution. When you come to faith in Christ you don't have to have everything "right". If he's someone who puts his faith in God and believes in evolution, then guess what? Awesome. We might disagree with him where macro-evolution is concerned, but he trusts God, and that's what matters. Let God sort out the rest, and God certainly will sort that out.

belville
Oct 4th 2008, 05:00 AM
what do you mean?
he doesnt believe god even exists
im not understanding what your saying:hmm:

Revinius
Oct 4th 2008, 02:45 PM
he is saying that evolution is not what it's all about. Evolution is not what gets you in or out of Hell, so don't bother focusing on it. He has to get a personal relationship with Christ (that is the only way) and the best way to do that is to show him the Christian life.

*Hope*
Oct 4th 2008, 03:58 PM
my friend believes in evolution and i feel bad and know only God can change him. he said if i could prove to him that there is eveidence God is real then he might believe there is a God i know only bGod can do this but do you know any scripture i can toss at him and also away to defend my faith/christian belief against a wiccain:hmm:
:note:

I wish I could tell you that all you need to do is live the Christian life and that would be enough. But it's not. The Scripture teaches us that we must be ready to offer a defense for the hope that is within us (see 1 Peter 3:15). This is just one of MANY scriptures that teach us it is not only possible, but IMPERATIVE, that we use words of truth and rationality to bring unbelievers to faith. The word "defense" in that verse is where we get our word "apologetics". It means to defend something. The life of Paul is the perfect example of someone who studied numerous competing religions and was prepared to offer answers to those who had questions. He was persuasive because he had answers to their questions, not because he merely lived the gospel truth. He spoke it. He defended it. 1 Peter 3:15 is not a suggestion to believers, it is a command.

I would suggest reading some good books to prepare your mind. The first book I would highly recommend is called "Love Your God With All Your Mind" by JP Moreland. This will teach you the importance of developing your mind for God, as well as offer great advice on how to defend your faith against many common arguments.

Essentially, being a mature believer means loving God with all your heart, all your soul, AND all your mind. This entails studying, learning, and basically becoming a lawyer for God. You know the reasons why you believe what you do and you can defend them. I wish it was easier. I wish it was as simple as living your life for God. But in our postmodern generation especially, people are looking for real, genuine answers. If we are not prepared to give them, there are others of numerous other religions who will step in to offer their "answers" instead.

If you would like some suggestions on books that will help you understand evolution and offer some intelligent, Christian responses, let me know. I have read several good ones that I would recommend.

Hope this helps :)

Mograce2U
Oct 4th 2008, 04:26 PM
Knowing God is Creator is essential to believing God exists. Paul's sermon to the Athenians highlights this in Acts 17. The brotherhood of mankind logically points back to the first 2 people who ever existed. Where did they come from? The evolutionist tracks back to the beginning and there is where he gets stuck and must wildly speculate to avoid the truth.

You needn't address the arguments of evolution, but you do need to show forth that creation and the design inherent in it, points to a Creator as its Source. Evolution is based upon the idea that order comes out of chaos which is logically and evidentially impossible. Man cannot even build anything without bringing order to the components he builds with. Our being created in the image of God shows that we have such things in common and that a Mind must be involved. For such things to just pop into existence "without cause" is actually proof of a supernatural Mind and power at work, and not mere chance. So because there is order and established patterns in the world - else there could be no science - the proof there is a God becomes more palatable than the idea that there is "nothing" which is able to bring "something" about.

belville
Oct 6th 2008, 02:43 AM
thanxs guys and gals:pray:
and the person named *hope* i would like some suggested books

Revinius
Oct 6th 2008, 07:28 AM
Apologetics (answers) are important but at the end of the day if God does not change his heart of stone there is little point. Focus on showing him godliness aswell as providing answers.