PDA

View Full Version : Two Questions: The Heart and The Devil

thebaker
Oct 2nd 2008, 05:57 AM
In a recent bible study, we discussed the verse Luke 8:4-15 which is the parable of the farmer who sowed some seed. Here is a link if you'd like to read it: http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=luke%208:4-15&version=31

In verse 12 says: "Those along the path are the ones who hear, and then the devil comes and takes away the word from their hearts, so that they may not believe and be saved."

I was wondering what the "heart" is in relation to God. Is it the mind? Free will? Conscience? If anyone knows of scripture or thoughts on this, I would love to read it.

Also, when me mentions the devil coming into your heart, how does he have this power? And what are the devels limitations and capabilities? How powerful is he really?

Just a few topics that have been on my mind. Any thoughts, ideas, or scriptures would be greatly appreciated :)

RoadWarrior
Oct 3rd 2008, 12:56 AM
In a recent bible study, we discussed the verse Luke 8:4-15 which is the parable of the farmer who sowed some seed. Here is a link if you'd like to read it: http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=luke%208:4-15&version=31

In verse 12 says: "Those along the path are the ones who hear, and then the devil comes and takes away the word from their hearts, so that they may not believe and be saved."

I was wondering what the "heart" is in relation to God. Is it the mind? Free will? Conscience? If anyone knows of scripture or thoughts on this, I would love to read it.

Also, when me mentions the devil coming into your heart, how does he have this power? And what are the devels limitations and capabilities? How powerful is he really?

Just a few topics that have been on my mind. Any thoughts, ideas, or scriptures would be greatly appreciated :)

This is an excellent question. I believe that the battleground is the mind. Jesus tells us the truth, and we hear it. Then the devil comes along (sometimes in the guise of a friend or family member) and tells us why Jesus' sayings are not true. Now we have to wrestle with the concepts and try to choose which to believe.

I don't think the devil comes "into" our heart, but he comes near enough to influence our thoughts.

Romans 12:2 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=52&chapter=12&verse=2&version=50&context=verse)
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.

Read through a few chapters of Romans, start about chapter 7, and observe all the places where Paul speaks of the mind. See if you agree with me. Ephesians also has some good quotes on the mind, as well as many other places in the NT.

walked
Oct 3rd 2008, 12:05 PM

A mans heart/mind is a mans motivation or purpose behind his actions.

satans only power on earth is to deceive man.

A mans heart/mind is a mans motivation or purpose behind his actions.

satans only power on earth is to deceive man.

Partaker of Christ
Oct 3rd 2008, 10:04 PM
Hi Thebaker!

Good questions:

I personally think that the heart is all three, and perhaps also the emotion.

We have scripture that says: 'pondered in her heart', and 'my soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my saviour'

Their conscience was seared as with a hot iron. And we can sin against the conscience, have our conscience sprinkled with the blood.

As RW pointed out in Romans 7 the words 'with my mind' and also 'to will'

I believe that the fruit of the Spirit touches all these:

A renewed mind, a good conscience, a humbled and surrendered will, peace and joy.

Gal 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
Gal 5:23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.