PDA

View Full Version : Religulous (Bill Maher)

A820djd
Oct 2nd 2008, 07:00 PM
Can be VERY offensive.

He asked in the trailer of the movie something like this

Bill: Why doesn't God just obliderate the devil?

Guy: He will.

Bill: Well what's he waiting for?

Links at bottom.

Clips:

He doesn't know: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHH2JItePlc

Devil be gone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvRGLjlCO9A

Link:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0815241/

MrAnteater
Oct 2nd 2008, 08:52 PM
Mocking God is not funny by any stretch of the imagination.

I pray that this movie flops big time and dies a quick death.

Jeanne D
Oct 2nd 2008, 09:20 PM
I will not watch this movie, but I will be praying that Bill finds the Lord.

Jeanne

EarlyCall
Oct 2nd 2008, 10:34 PM
bill maher is headed for a rude awakening and to be quite honest I have no sympathy for him. He is one of those individuals that cannot simply not believe in God but instead must raise his fist and rail against God. I find such people in need of an education - the one they get when they die.

Like it or not - that's my position on people like him. Of course my position sounds much like Christ's position on the pharisees.

Ashley274
Oct 3rd 2008, 03:52 AM
I agree with you. I saw him on Letterman talking about his trash movie and making fun of christian and Jewish teachings and I tuned him out...he is a vile man and God will deal with him I have zero pity for him. Its good I am not God :mad:

bill maher is headed for a rude awakening and to be quite honest I have no sympathy for him. He is one of those individuals that cannot simply not believe in God but instead must raise his fist and rail against God. I find such people in need of an education - the one they get when they die.

Like it or not - that's my position on people like him. Of course my position sounds much like Christ's position on the pharisees.

ilovemetal
Oct 3rd 2008, 04:08 AM
oh my, if only he could see himself from our eyes.

just brutal. i'm at a loss for words, i really am...

Gulah Papyrus
Oct 3rd 2008, 04:39 AM
I don't know why but I want to see it...is that bad? I mean, I can't stand the guy but I watch his HBO show every week. I usually watch MSNBC's pre/post convention or debate coverage too. Maybe I'm just fascinated with people who are so sure they are right when they are so completely dead wrong.:dunno:

CoffeeCat
Oct 3rd 2008, 05:58 AM
Okay, here's something I'll offer up:

I'm probably going to go see the movie this weekend. I KNOW people are offended, I KNOW it's not going to be edifying or helpful in any way, and I know the humour's going to be off-colour and that there's going to be stuff in there I'm not going to really WANT to hear or see. But at the same time.... I'm curious enough so I can see it, see what he has to say, and firmly critique it/the ideas that come up in the film.

This film is going to be watched PREDOMINANTLY by people who don't hold religious beliefs -- in some areas of the Bible belt, the film's not even being shown because of the protest. So all the more reason, I think, for the odd Christian who wants to, to go... take mental notes... dissect the ideas in it, have good solid reaons for rejecting those ideas...

And that's what I and a few other Christians, my boyfriend included, want to do this weekend. He's especially curious; since he's come to faith, he wants to see how he approaches something as a Christian differently than he would have 6 months ago or less, as an atheist. And good for him -- if he wants to judge the changes in his own attitude for himself, awesome. As for myself, I'll be bringing a notepad and a few pens. I consider a film like this something to pay attention to for the sole purposes of having fun taking it apart.

Assuming we actually go.... review to follow, after this weekend sometime.

My prediction before going: there will be immature, whiny jabs at various faiths, nobody will LEARN much of anything, and I'll probably come to the conclusion that Bill Maher's team ended up being sarcastic, petty and snarky through the whole thing. But I'd be interested to see if I'm wrong on ANY level!

Ashley274
Oct 3rd 2008, 06:24 AM
CC by going though you will help make this thing happen over and over....again .....I would not help his wallet ...surely Christians should know how to overcome trashy talk without going..I saw him on Letterman and he was just vile....I would not want to help the devil ...I hope God changes his heart but from all I saw on Letterman ....this movie is pure trash...and no I am not putting your decision down.

Gulah Papyrus
Oct 3rd 2008, 07:08 AM
Buy a ticket to a different movie...The theatre doesn't care which movie you see. That's what I did for Michael Moore's Fahrenheit 911 to avoid giving that lying sack of rats any of my money.:D

Ashley274
Oct 3rd 2008, 07:16 AM
Buy a ticket to a different movie...The theatre doesn't care which movie you see. That's what I did for Michael Moore's Fahrenheit 911 to avoid giving that lying sack of rats any of my money.:D

hahahha I kinda like that GP :lol:

ilovemetal
Oct 3rd 2008, 07:57 AM
it'll just be another jesus camp and edited to make religous people look crazy. or course it'll be all the actualy crazy extremest ones on the movie too...

CC, i also predict lack of actually solid-based arguments agains't God.

CoffeeCat
Oct 3rd 2008, 11:10 AM
Well, for what it's worth, we won't be paying for it. There's a free late-night showing for students.

From what I've already read (which was thoroughly expected!).... he uses humour in an over the top way, he's very good at mocking certain groups (in all religions).... but one reviewer called it 'propaganda' where he's literally just wanting to pull people over to HIS team.... which is unfortunate for him, because apparently quite a few are saying they didn't learn ANYTHING in watching it, it was all thoroughly predictable, and.... well, that's just bad. Not learning anything from a Documentary? Sheesh. ;) A few Christians who have reviewed it so far said basically the same thing - predictable, they certainly didn't lose their faith, and they laughed at the parts he MEANT to be serious... like when he says "religion must die for mankind to live". Come ON. *rolls eyes*

Anyways.... having went into it this way, now I'll be interested to see what my review'll be like. I'm pretty sure I already know. ;) I mean, the guy got help from Larry Charles, who directed Borat. Can anyone say "find a stereotyped caricature that really doesn't exist widely in anyone, and then ascribe it to EVERYONE"? Here's betting this movie will.

markinro
Oct 3rd 2008, 11:48 AM
I agree with you. I saw him on Letterman talking about his trash movie and making fun of christian and Jewish teachings and I tuned him out...he is a vile man and God will deal with him I have zero pity for him. Its good I am not God :mad:

Oh come on Ash - we all know you want to be God :lol:

markinro
Oct 3rd 2008, 11:52 AM
I read a few reviews - no surprise the world likes this movie.

Matt 10:22
Matt 24:9
Mark 13:13
Luke 19:14
Luke 21:17
John 15:18
John 15:24
John 15:25

I'm going to see Flash of Genius - little guy takes his cause to the end. Something "familiar" - something I have not sensed since... :D

Jeanne D
Oct 3rd 2008, 01:20 PM
Considering Bill is an atheist, he certainly seems obsessed with anything pertaining to a God he supposedly doesn't believe exists. Hmmm, makes you wonder.

Jeanne

the inside out
Oct 3rd 2008, 03:18 PM
I can't stand this man!!! He is ignorant beyond belief and he doesn't care...that upsets me for some reason. Maybe it's cause he's on tv.

Steve M
Oct 3rd 2008, 03:36 PM
Coffeecat--did you happen to catch the Pluggedinonline movie review of this?

I only ask because they agreed firmly with your predictions here...

My prediction before going: there will be immature, whiny jabs at various faiths, nobody will LEARN much of anything, and I'll probably come to the conclusion that Bill Maher's team ended up being sarcastic, petty and snarky through the whole thing. But I'd be interested to see if I'm wrong on ANY level!

Almost point by point. Quite interesting...

ilovemetal
Oct 4th 2008, 04:08 AM
so, who is this guy then? what's his history? i never heard of him.

is he buddies with dawkins? i beeeeeeeeeeettttttttt....

Ashley274
Oct 4th 2008, 04:29 AM
Oh come on Ash - we all know you want to be God :lol:

Well it could be fun but what would I do when some pray for rain and some pray for dry weather...as it is I can't make my mind up on what kind of bread I want to buy....so I think it may be best that God is God :rofl:

markinro
Oct 4th 2008, 11:27 AM
so, who is this guy then? what's his history? i never heard of him.

is he buddies with dawkins? i beeeeeeeeeeettttttttt....

Bill Maher is someone who uses comedy to express his anger at God. Psycologically, its a form of self-hatred.

dljc
Oct 4th 2008, 03:10 PM
Mocking God is not funny by any stretch of the imagination.

I pray that this movie flops big time and dies a quick death.To go along with what MrAnteater said.

Benito Mussolini challenged God to strike him dead if God existed. Mussolini gave God five minutes to do this. Five minutes past and he was still alive. Mussolini forgot about God's timing, in the end, God did strike him dead.

Margret Cho (sp?) in a skit criticizing Christians and God. Searched her mind to quote a verse from the Bible. She of course changed the words, but the verse was clear. Matthew 4:17 From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

God will not be mocked.

Gulah Papyrus
Oct 4th 2008, 03:35 PM
Bill Maher is someone who uses comedy to express his anger at God. Psycologically, its a form of self-hatred.

He is a guy, a self proclaimed comedian specializing in secular liberal viewpoints who while he seems intelligent in some respects, it appears that his rationale quit maturing in the 7th grade. Very sad. He's pushing 50 and is still a regular at the Playboy Mansion if that tells you anything. A truly vile man who is very, very lost.

CoffeeCat
Oct 4th 2008, 11:38 PM
**NOTE: A few spoilers**

Coffeecat--did you happen to catch the Pluggedinonline movie review of this?

I only ask because they agreed firmly with your predictions here...

Almost point by point. Quite interesting...

:lol: That's funny! No, I hadn't read the review. I've never been to Pluggedinonline before... so it's funny that my predictions were similar to their review.

As it turns out, my predictions were more or less spot-on. Mahr WAS funny occasionally, but he of course picked VERY bizarre examples that really aren't representations of the population at large... he talked to odd people on the fringe, or made examples of them, as though they somehow proved that because they were like that, everyone must be.... he was bitingly sarcastic... he didn't give people a chance to explain themselves (there was one guy who kept exclaiming 'let me finish!' and of course, he wasn't allowed to).... it was a typical to-the-far-left jab at religion. He literally thinks that religion must die for humanity to live, because he thinks people who ARE religious actually have some kind of brain disorder, or deep psychological void that religion fills -- ie, those who believe something aren't "whole" or "normal". He also thinks that religion lends itself deeply to fanaticism, hatred, and violence.... and thinks that people who are only vaguely or moderately religious are supporting a corrupt, generally hateful system that shouldn't be worth their time. That was the gist of everything.

Things he of course did NOT mention: those who are atheists who do great evil.... and those who hold religious beliefs and do great good. Those things were avoided like the plague.

About the only thing that remotely impressed me was that he was pretty kind to the people he talked with, overall, and passed himself off as a likeable guy.... and he might very well BE one, but he of course had to look good on camera. He didn't really ARGUE with people, but he DID spout off his own views, and of course he ended it with his 'jump-on-the-far-left-bandwagon-and-lambaste-religion-while-making-sweeping-assumptions' rant while he flashed predictable images of chanting extremists, the Twin towers, and other examples of fanaticism gone wrong.... So there ya go.

The movie was.... thoroughly typical. Predictable. Here's something funny. I turned to my boyfriend at the end, and asked "your thoughts?" and he responded with "so THIS is what Christ saved me from. Stupidity." :lol:

ilovemetal
Oct 5th 2008, 12:06 AM
*"so THIS is what Christ saved me from. Stupidity." :lol:

haha. nice one. :P

stoomart
Oct 5th 2008, 05:46 AM
One thing I got from the links in the OP was where he was actually right about 1 thing that we all should pay attention to: Christians should be more Christ-like. Of course he went on to say that Jesus' message was good and that's why we should follow it, but I assume he either doesn't know or is suppressing the fact that Jesus said "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

A wise man once said the biggest threat to Christianity is Christians themselves. Fellow brothers and sisters, this is the one piece of advice we should heed from this dark world, we must be like Christ to make a difference, God says so Himself!

In Christ's love, stoo

MrAnteater
Oct 5th 2008, 10:37 PM
Well, it's officially a flop.

$3.5M in it's first weekend.

I'm glad people stayed away from this garbage.

CoffeeCat
Oct 5th 2008, 10:38 PM
Yeah, Stoo, that was one point he brought up in the movie, which is fair enough -- if someone's a Christian, they should be acting or looking more Christ-like. In the movie, he gave more than a few examples of people who used religion to further their OWN agendas, which he (rightly) did point out was a far cry from Christ's intended message. If a Christian wants to take anything from that movie, that's something decent to take. (Although I'd wager most of us already know that.... but hey, the secular world's noticing that some Christians are quite unlike Christ, which they say is a barrier to them coming to Christ, so that's a problem.)

365_days_gone
Feb 11th 2009, 11:33 PM
Not only is this guy a New World Order pawn who is for America heading into a fascist prison, but he is also anti-Christianity. I Have ZERO respect for this man!:mad:

James of Sunshine
Feb 12th 2009, 01:59 AM
I had a passing appreciation for Mayer's intellect years ago when he had a show on network television. He mainly questioned and lampooned contemporary society as a whole in sort of a playful manner that was thought provoking. Then it seems he became popular, got involved with the Playboy crowd, and went off the deep end. Now he's a narcissistic egomaniac that hasn't the ability to get over himself. Or so it would seem. Sad really.

always
Feb 13th 2009, 10:35 PM
Considering Bill is an atheist, he certainly seems obsessed with anything pertaining to a God he supposedly doesn't believe exists. Hmmm, makes you wonder.

Jeanne

There are very few that I would put in the catagory of a reprobate.

There was a comedian a few years back(redhead, male) I can't remember his name, but he had been an ordained minister and turned his back on God, and his whole standup routine was blaspheming the Holy Ghost.

It was like he was committing suicide and you knew by his jokes that he understood exactly what he was doing, he was not just some upset babe in Christ.

He died in a car wreck, and there was just this knowing in me that his soul was lost.

Maher, is very close to this

teddyv
Feb 13th 2009, 11:29 PM
There are very few that I would put in the catagory of a reprobate.

There was a comedian a few years back(redhead, male) I can't remember his name, but he had been an ordained minister and turned his back on God, and his whole standup routine was blaspheming the Holy Ghost.

It was like he was committing suicide and you knew by his jokes that he understood exactly what he was doing, he was not just some upset babe in Christ.

He died in a car wreck, and there was just this knowing in me that his soul was lost.

Maher, is very close to this

I believe you are referring to Sam Kinnison (sp?)

always
Feb 14th 2009, 03:24 AM
I believe you are referring to Sam Kinnison (sp?)

Yes, that was his name:cry:

Metamorphasis
Feb 16th 2009, 08:46 AM
I want to see this. I know I won't agree with him entirely, I respect his upfront, hold nothing back attitude. He doesn't sugar coat things, he isn't afraid to call things what they are, its a good trait, if used incorrectly. I find his show to be very entertaining, maybe its because I have a thing for controversy.

Grace40
Feb 16th 2009, 04:32 PM
I just want to say I'm not a Maher fan and get that out of the way before I continue. I just read his bio and he does claim to believe in God just not organized religion. Iím a Christian, but you do have to admit there is a lot wrong with organized religion from the Christians to the Muslims, Hindus, buddist, etc... The world would be a lot better place without religion. If everyone could just believe whatever they chose to believe without anyone caring. (just a thought)

always
Feb 16th 2009, 06:01 PM
I just want to say I'm not a Maher fan and get that out of the way before I continue. I just read his bio and he does claim to believe in God just not organized religion. Iím a Christian, but you do have to admit there is a lot wrong with organized religion from the Christians to the Muslims, Hindus, buddist, etc... The world would be a lot better place without religion. If everyone could just believe whatever they chose to believe without anyone caring. (just a thought)

Grace, I understand what you are saying, although as a Christian I am compelled by the love of Christ to be concerned, and then to go further than concern to minister the gospel to the lost.

I find that those that use the excuse of "organized religion" do so because they lack the fruits of the spirit, one being obedience, don't get me wrong, it's obedience to God, not man that I am speaking of.

The lot wrong with organized religion imho does not out weigh the being obedient to God's word.

James 1:27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

When we do this and assemble with others that do this as well. It throws the "organized religion" excuse out the window

wheatbread
Feb 16th 2009, 06:22 PM
Grace, I understand what you are saying, although as a Christian I am compelled by the love of Christ to be concerned, and then to go further than concern to minister the gospel to the lost.

;) Hey always,

I think an issue here is how far some organized religion, and those involved, will go. I think the most effective way to minister is by example in order to draw the lost that are not even aware they are. Then minister by mouth that my God is the only one and true God, and love your neighbor as yourself.

That alone is enough for most folks to ponder on for sometime before they really can understand just what all that encompasses and will be drawn closer.

Along with Grace I am no "fan" of Bill, but I have been where he speaks from.

MHO

always
Feb 16th 2009, 06:30 PM
;) Hey always,

I think an issue here is how far some organized religion, and those involved, will go. I think the most effective way to minister is by example in order to draw the lost that are not even aware they are. Then minister by mouth that my God is the only one and true God, and love your neighbor as yourself.

That alone is enough for most folks to ponder on for sometime before they really can understand just what all that encompasses and will be drawn closer.

MHO

Hi you doing? Wheat

Ain't that the truth!!! have to agree

Grace40
Feb 16th 2009, 08:22 PM
I find that those that use the excuse of "organized religion" do so because they lack the fruits of the spirit, one being obedience, don't get me wrong, it's obedience to God, not man that I am speaking of.

When we do this and assemble with others that do this as well. It throws the "organized religion" excuse out the window

I agree as Christians we should witness to everyone and I was not trying to say otherwise. What I was trying to point out is that Muslins and Hindos, etc... feel just as strong that their religion is the right one as we do and that it causes alot of problems. I was by no means agreeing with Maher's way of making fun of religions.

Grace40
Feb 16th 2009, 08:23 PM
;) Hey always,

MHO

Thank you for understand what I was trying to say.:)

RabbiKnife
Feb 16th 2009, 09:58 PM

So you are willing to steal from Michael Moore and the film's producers?

Metamorphasis
Feb 17th 2009, 05:35 AM
You may not like to hear it, but I enjoy Michael Moore's films. I especially enjoyed Sicko, and in my defense I watched them expecting to hate them because I was originally not fond of Michael Moore. Not saying he isn't lying or distorting facts because I'm not gullible enough to eat facts from another person's hands without question, but in the documentaries everything was presented in a fair, witty, and very entertaining way. Just thought I would post something a little "against the flow."

diffangle
Feb 17th 2009, 04:31 PM
but in the documentaries everything was presented in a fair, witty, and very entertaining way.
He admits to omitting the opposing viewpoint to his in his films... is that really fair?

He fails to mention the cases like this Canadian man with a brain tumor who had to come to the U.S. for treatment...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4u5x9XAsAs

Gauntlet
Mar 9th 2009, 08:13 PM
hahahha I kinda like that GP :lol:

Lying sack of rats ? Look, I realize he's not popular among the Religious Right, but that is just mean. I would not compare Michael Moore with Bill Maher.