PDA

View Full Version : What will we do with the Bible when we get to heaven?

Dragonfighter1
Oct 3rd 2008, 05:58 PM
Serious question? Serious answers only please. (or light humour) But no trouble making ok?

Question....
What will we do with the Bible once we get to the new heaven and new earth?
Answers:...
Throw it away? ....doesn't sound right?
Will we even bring it with us? ...That sounds wrong.
Worship it? ...Uh uh, way off!
Hold it in great esteem but not read it because we have Christ all the time? Maybe..

Its an interesting question. I don't think it is terribly important but it is interesting. Anyone have other ideas?

walked
Oct 3rd 2008, 06:24 PM
We will learn, teach and discipline ourselves to it (Gods word) in truth with no deceptions introduced by the spirit of the evil one in our way.
God is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow, where we are in any of those days does not change that fact that He does not change.

daughter
Oct 3rd 2008, 06:53 PM
Well, Scripture tells us that the "word of the Lord endures forever", so I'm sure we'll still have the Bible. I believe we'll be able to understand, engage and interact with it in ways that we can't even understand now. So, I'm looking forward to it very much indeed!

Dragonfighter1
Oct 3rd 2008, 08:13 PM
Well, Scripture tells us that the "word of the Lord endures forever", so I'm sure we'll still have the Bible. I believe we'll be able to understand, engage and interact with it in ways that we can't even understand now. So, I'm looking forward to it very much indeed!

I appreciate your answer.

I do think however that the particular verse you used is a reference to Christ rather than the Bible. Nonetheless it is still true, and I am looking forward to treasuring the Bible.

I assume we will have access to it, in fact I suspect we will have access to it in the ORIGINAL In other words even more accurate than the King James Version... hey It will be perfect woooweee!!!!:bounce:
I just thought of that ...how cool!

I wonder what language we will use up there? Do you think we will go back to the pre-tower of Babel language? how cool!:bounce:

Emanate
Oct 3rd 2008, 08:14 PM
I am not sure we will need the bible as we will live with the Word made flesh.

AliveinChristDave
Oct 4th 2008, 03:59 AM
I am not sure we will need the bible as we will live with the Word made flesh.

Amen. Jesus Christ is the Word made flesh. He also is the truth. John 14:14 says the Word is truth.
We needed the written word because of our fallen nature. When we're glorifed we won't need the written word.
The Bible also says as he is that when He appears then we will be like Him. (IJohn 3:2) We will be completed epistles with the truth written on our pure hearts because we will be like our Lord. Everything we speak will be the Word of God.

Richard H
Oct 4th 2008, 06:02 AM
I'm bringin' mine to Q & A time.

daughter
Oct 4th 2008, 11:20 AM
I appreciate your answer.

I do think however that the particular verse you used is a reference to Christ rather than the Bible. Nonetheless it is still true, and I am looking forward to treasuring the Bible.

I assume we will have access to it, in fact I suspect we will have access to it in the ORIGINAL In other words even more accurate than the King James Version... hey It will be perfect woooweee!!!!:bounce:
I just thought of that ...how cool!

I wonder what language we will use up there? Do you think we will go back to the pre-tower of Babel language? how cool!:bounce:
I was thinking that we'd be returning to the language that Adam and Eve spoke when they communed with God, so yes, pre "babble." I know that the verse refers to Christ as well as the Bible - good catch.

One thing I like is the fact that we'll be able to find out what all those awkward passages and historical bits we don't understand mean. One thing I really want to know... what was Jesus writing on the ground when they brought the woman to Him who was caught in adultery?

Lots of things to think about!

Dragonfighter1
Oct 6th 2008, 12:17 PM
Hey, though I live in OHIO USA now. I originated from the midlands UK.
What city/town are you near?

Sold Out
Oct 6th 2008, 03:29 PM
Serious question? Serious answers only please. (or light humour) But no trouble making ok?

Question....
Hold it in great esteem but not read it because we have Christ all the time? Maybe..

Its an interesting question. I don't think it is terribly important but it is interesting. Anyone have other ideas?

I don't know! "Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away" Luke 21:33

Since we will no longer have a sin nature and will be in our glorified bodies in the very presence of God, I don't see where we would necessarily need the bible. Just like we don't observe certain parts of the OT law because it accomplished what it was supposed to (bring forth the Messiah), by the same token I would think the same would apply to all scriptures at that point. Everything will have been fulfilled and accomplished, just as God said it would.

We will be in the prescence of 'The Word' Himself!

larry2
Oct 12th 2008, 07:50 AM
Dear Dragonfighter, here is a segment of teaching I am presently transcribing from CD's given by Brother Gene Hawkins that may help.

Revelation 22:2. "In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations." And of course the tree of life is Christ Himself "Which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month." It means the full provision that Christ will have for eternity. There will be no lack and no end to the provisions of Christ for us even throughout all eternity, and then the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations. It's not as if they were sick, it really is more of the nurturing of the nations, or a full compliment of His care for them. What I want to notice here is that we still see the differences in people as far as their appropriation of Christ and I just ask you, which would you rather have; fruit or leaf? Now the leaves are fine for healing and nurturing but you must know that the fruit is far better. And so some people look upon the fruit and leaves and they see Christ as the fruit of their thinking, and others simply choose the leaves for nurturing or encouragement.

Chimon
Oct 12th 2008, 07:58 AM
My suggestion: "For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known." (1 Corinthians 13.)

I don't think we will need it, nor do I think it will be there. However, with glorified bodies, our brains might be able to remember all of it.

Richard H
Oct 12th 2008, 08:07 AM
Hey! I just thought of something! :idea:

God has books. Why wouldn't we? :bible:

Richard

justinbporter
Oct 12th 2008, 08:12 AM
I don't think we'll have the Bible in heaven, because I think we'll go back to having no knowledge of Good and Evil. Having no knowledge of Evil is the only way to not sin while having freewill (which I believe we will still have), but if we had the Bible, we would know what Evil was (since Evil is depicted in the Bible).

Thoughts?

Richard H
Oct 12th 2008, 08:17 AM
I don't think we'll have the Bible in heaven, because I think we'll go back to having no knowledge of Good and Evil. Having no knowledge of Evil is the only way to not sin while having freewill (which I believe we will still have), but if we had the Bible, we would know what Evil was (since Evil is depicted in the Bible).

Thoughts?
Then again, justinbporter makes an excellent point. :)

Richard

TEITZY
Oct 12th 2008, 11:21 AM

Question....

1 Cor 13:8-12 Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away. When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things. For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known.

When we are glorified we will have perfect knowledge. The Bible is only a partial revelation of God and Christ. It tells us what we need to know but certainly not all there is to know!

Jesus may keep aside a few Bibles for the KJV only folk but the rest of us will get along fine with out one I think. :lol:

Cheers
Leigh

tt1106
Oct 12th 2008, 12:11 PM
There will be no reason to have the Bible. If there is no sin, then there is no reason to have the law. Is there?
If e are perfected upon death, I can't imagine what purpose the Gospel
would serve.

ZuriCH
Oct 12th 2008, 12:28 PM
There will be no reason to have the Bible. If there is no sin, then there is no reason to have the law. Is there?
If e are perfected upon death, I can't imagine what purpose the Gospel
would serve.

Then again, even the gospel is eternal, according to rev 14:6.

RoadWarrior
Oct 12th 2008, 12:35 PM

Question....

When a man courts a woman, and sends her love letters, she saves them, ties them up with a ribbon, takes them out and reads them. When they are married, the letters are not discarded but kept as a treasure, to be read again in later years.

We do not forget the courtship time, when we are married to the person of our dreams.

The Bible can be thought of as the love letters that God has written to us, so that we can know Him, and fall ever more deeply in love with Him.

tt1106
Oct 12th 2008, 02:18 PM
Then again, even the gospel is eternal, according to rev 14:6.
Sure because the word is living and active and in the Beginning was the Word.
I have no doubt that it will be there, it just seems to me that all will be fulfilled, so it will no longer have the same purpose as here on Earth.

Dani H
Oct 12th 2008, 03:17 PM
When a man courts a woman, and sends her love letters, she saves them, ties them up with a ribbon, takes them out and reads them. When they are married, the letters are not discarded but kept as a treasure, to be read again in later years.

We do not forget the courtship time, when we are married to the person of our dreams.

The Bible can be thought of as the love letters that God has written to us, so that we can know Him, and fall ever more deeply in love with Him.

I really like that analogy. :)

Dragonfighter1
Oct 12th 2008, 04:25 PM
I really like that analogy. :)

Yep, agree, I think that is the winning entry!!!!

Reps to the winner!!!:pp

RoadWarrior
Oct 12th 2008, 04:32 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you! (Where is that curtseying smilie?)

What was in your love letter this morning? Here's what I got:

Ps 37:1-8
37 Do not fret because of evildoers,
Nor be envious of the workers of iniquity.
2 For they shall soon be cut down like the grass,
And wither as the green herb.
3 Trust in the Lord, and do good;
Dwell in the land, and feed on His faithfulness.
4 Delight yourself also in the Lord,
And He shall give you the desires of your heart.
5 Commit your way to the Lord,
Trust also in Him,
And He shall bring it to pass.
6 He shall bring forth your righteousness as the light,
And your justice as the noonday.
7 Rest in the Lord, and wait patiently for Him;
Do not fret because of him who prospers in his way,
Because of the man who brings wicked schemes to pass.
8 Cease from anger, and forsake wrath;
Do not fret — it only causes harm.
NKJV

Tanya~
Oct 12th 2008, 10:11 PM
I like RW's answer too. The first thought that came to my mind when reading the OP was this:

Rev 22:3-5
And there shall be no more curse, but the throne of God and of the Lamb shall be in it, and His servants shall serve Him. 4 They shall see His face, and His name shall be on their foreheads. 5 There shall be no night there: They need no lamp nor light of the sun, for the Lord God gives them light. And they shall reign forever and ever.
NKJV

Psalm 119:105

Your word is a lamp to my feet
And a light to my path.
NKJV

Having a Bible is like having a light in a dark place, it helps us to navigate our way through this life. In Eternity we will not need that as a lamp, because we will be fully in the light of Christ, of God Himself, we will be in His manifested presence.

I think it will be like the experience of Cleopas and that other guy who walked on the road to Emmaus. When the Lord came to them, He taught them:

Luke 24:27
And beginning at Moses and all the Prophets, He expounded to them in all the Scriptures the things concerning Himself.
NKJV

Then after He left them...

Luke 24:32
...they said to one another, "Did not our heart burn within us while He talked with us on the road, and while He opened the Scriptures to us?"
NKJV

I think we will still have the Bible in the sense that the Lord will open our understanding of everything in it, and we will all understand with perfect clarity -- as face to face, as others have said.

My heart's Desire
Oct 13th 2008, 12:58 AM
This brings to mind...an old argument, but....if people can't see sacrifices ongoing as only a memorial in the Kingdom then wouldn't having the Bible be the same thing, a memorial? I think as stated above that as Christ is the living Word then we won't need it on paper anymore. If we did, it would be a memorial. But then again, in Revelation why is the Ark of the Covenant in heaven? And it wasn't patterned from the one on earth, but the one on earth was patterned from the one in heaven.
Anyway, when I'm in heaven I'm leaving mine here on earth for others who will need it, at least for a short while.

RoadWarrior
Oct 13th 2008, 01:36 AM
This brings to mind...an old argument, but....if people can't see sacrifices ongoing as only a memorial in the Kingdom then wouldn't having the Bible be the same thing, a memorial? I think as stated above that as Christ is the living Word then we won't need it on paper anymore. If we did, it would be a memorial. But then again, in Revelation why is the Ark of the Covenant in heaven? And it wasn't patterned from the one on earth, but the one on earth was patterned from the one in heaven.
Anyway, when I'm in heaven I'm leaving mine here on earth for others who will need it, at least for a short while.

Make sure you tie it with a very pretty ribbon.

The left-behind Bibles of a believing grandmother or grandfather are real treasures, to the family member fortunate enough to inherit them. This is especially true if the ancestor made notes and cross-references in the margins.

But I think the OP was referencing a broader picture.

Here's another thought: You won't be able to take your goatskin-leather and fine-paper Bible with you to heaven ... but when you get there, be ready for the test! You may be held responsible for knowing what was written inside.

My heart's Desire
Oct 13th 2008, 01:42 AM
Make sure you tie it with a very pretty ribbon.

The left-behind Bibles of a believing grandmother or grandfather are real treasures, to the family member fortunate enough to inherit them. This is especially true if the ancestor made notes and cross-references in the margins.

.Thanks, I hope I have enough ribbons and bows! I know I have plenty of the others and they will not have to hunt on the shelf covered with dust to find them, but they'll find lots of tear stains and their name everywhere.

RoadWarrior
Oct 13th 2008, 01:45 AM
Thanks, I hope I have enough ribbons and bows! I know I have plenty of the others and they will not have to hunt on the shelf covered with dust to find them, but they'll find lots of tear stains.

Tear stains are even better! :hug: I bet every one is connected to a prayer.

Vhayes
Oct 13th 2008, 01:57 AM
Hey, though I live in OHIO USA now. I originated from the midlands UK.
What city/town are you near?
Where in Ohio? I'm an Ohioan too.

Vhayes
Oct 13th 2008, 02:14 AM
Beautiful answer Road Warrior!

I have always thought we would have the bible but that it would be greatly expanded. I based that thought on:
John 21
25 - And there are also many other things which Jesus did, which if they were written in detail, I suppose that even the world itself would not contain the books that would be written.
I'm not set in concrete on this view and I really hadn't thought about it in a long time.

V

My heart's Desire
Oct 13th 2008, 02:35 AM
Just think, in heaven we won't even have to worry that we have the right translation of not:pp

RoadWarrior
Oct 13th 2008, 04:12 AM
Early in my Christian life, I remember thinking or dreaming or maybe hearing it somewhere, that there would be libraries filled with knowledge beyond our wildest imaginings.

Even the most knowledgeable person on earth (the renaissance man) could not contain all the knowledge of that time. Today it is greatly increased, and barely touches what there is to know in this world.

Imagine having the entire universe to explore and study! And then imagine that God continues to create, design and develop more things for us to learn and enjoy.

The Bible is our training ground. :D

There really is going to be a test! :hmm: I'm quite sure of it. :lol:

I'm also sure that some people are too busy making paper airplanes and spitwads, and are missing the real teachings. :cry:

The Preacher
Oct 13th 2008, 04:32 AM

Question....

2 Cor 3:2-3
2 Ye are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read of all men:
3 Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.

Dragonfighter1
Oct 13th 2008, 10:58 AM
Where in Ohio? I'm an Ohioan too.

Stark county. south of Akron by about half an hour, south of Cleveland about one hour.

Dragonfighter1
Oct 13th 2008, 11:00 AM
I'm also sure that some people are too busy making paper airplanes and spitwads, and are missing the real teachings. :cry:

Hey! Whats wrong with a little play? lol

Here comes a spitwad at ya:P

jponb
Oct 14th 2008, 04:30 AM
God stated that He will write His words in our hearts. Your Bible will be in your heart.