PDA

View Full Version : Loan, Grant, scholarship advice

ConservChrist
Oct 4th 2008, 06:28 AM
Any experienced folks have any advice for this? Anyone know of any really awesome scholarships or loans? I would even be happy with a loan that would pay everything all the way to my master's degree and I just start paying back after I get my degrees. I just need some help with this stuff.
I'm going to a school online, $250 per credit hour, and to get my Bachelor's degree I need a total of 120 credit hours...bringing me to $30,000. Anyone feeling generous? lol

unkerns
Oct 5th 2008, 01:09 AM
Get all the free money you can, and save up, but whatever you do dont start getting into loans. The bible tells us not to borrow from anyone, but to lend to many and also not to have a bonds man(owe money too). My wife and I are 27,000 in debt mostly because of school, it makes it alot harder to do Yahwehs work.

Yahweh be with you

ConservChrist
Oct 5th 2008, 02:14 AM
Well, I don't see how it could possible be possible not to get a loan. I don't qualify for much of anything. I never had a great GPA in school, mainly because when I was in school, they didn't tell me just how important it all was. Most of the teachers had the same attitude as the students. Which was, mainly, focusing on the end of the day. When I went to the counselor's office to ask about scholarships, the counselor threw a small packet down on the table and told me to read it. All it was was a list of scholarships, and at that time, I wasn't sure on what to do with any of them. Also, I didn't, while in high school, do anything extra curricular bacause we as a family didn't have the money for things such as doctor visits for physicals, or the time or gas money for me to stay after school to do anything. I have a single parent, who didn't get home till after 6pm, and didn't have the gas money to go to town to pick me up anyway. My school didn't have activity buses or anything. I never did anything in school either like, school counsel or whatever it is. This is mainly because I was rejected by those people because I did'nt have a lot of money. Most of the preps were preps because they were wealthy. Oh well.....
So basically, I never had any understanding of any of this. What I know now has all come from talking to this college. So yeah, grants and scholarships, sadly, will be scarce. The only way I can see going to college, ever, and not having to use a loan is if God somehow, literally, gave me the money to go. This is not above Him of course. It is my lack of faith. And no scripture will change this sadly. Always, in the back of my mind, I will want to think and prepare for the worst. Which is horrible faith.
Anyway, when it comes to student loans, the Stafford loans, sounds okay. I've only ever heard of people talking about it. But in all honesty, without a loan, and with only "free money" how can I make it? I've never had free money before. And I know God can do it....but again, it is my own lack of faith in that. I know it is something I need to pray about but either way, at this moment in time, that doesn't change anything.

Revinius
Oct 5th 2008, 04:18 AM
Work and save, if God wants you to do this it will happen. Work hard for Him and great things will happen. One of the greatest evangelists of history was DL Moody, an uneducated man who had a gift for sales. Jesus simply took that gift and unleashed it in His name.

So it doesnt matter what you do, what work you pursue, but do it for His glory.

ConservChrist
Oct 5th 2008, 05:21 AM
Oh of course. I most certinaly intend to make it for His glory. I'm going to school to be a Family Counselor with, of course, strong Christian values, veiws, and emphasis.

Revinius
Oct 5th 2008, 01:26 PM
but if the money is not forthcoming, you should think of saving much of it yourself beforehand. Ultimately, if He wants you to go there it will happen and money will come, if not it wont happen via that means and you should work hard to come up with the cash. There are lessons to be had courtesy of the Lord in all walks of life.

unkerns
Oct 5th 2008, 02:40 PM
Revinius - I couldnt have said it better myself

ConservChrist
Oct 5th 2008, 04:51 PM
If it isn't His will, what would be the point in working for it?

Friend of Jesus
Oct 5th 2008, 08:12 PM
If it isn't His will, what would be the point in working for it?

Good point! (pun intended!)

I'm going to start putting money towards Bible College next year, it's amazing how much you can save if you just don't spend money. Even if it turns out you don't need the money that you saved up, it doesn't have to go to waste.

Pray for provision, it usually works.
God Bless

ConservChrist
Oct 5th 2008, 08:37 PM
Well, I've tried saving ever since my junior year. I worked all my senior year, full time and of course, school full time. I was a manager at a fast food resturant. 16 hour days easy. Then when I graduated, I kept that job for the summer, but I saw it going no where. So i quit. I wasn't making more than $7.35/hr.
So I was out of a job for a month then got a job paying $9.50 at AT&T. I loved that job. I got raises, and I got a promotion there to supervisor as well. Then AT&T left that particular company so they switched me over to USPS, and everything went down hill. I kept the same pay, but my stress level went through the roof. Then I had two seperate friends die on me within exactly one week of each other. I took a couple weeks off from work then, but couldnt bare the thought of going back. So I quit that job at $10.35/hr. Im still currently jobless, but my parents told me if I go to school, they will pay my bills...few there are. And I don't have to work, I can double up and get my BS in two or three years, then get my masters...then, for kicks and giggles, ill get my doctorates. A loan is not looking so bad. I mean, this world runs on loans. To buy new vehicles, houses, schooling, etc, you have to get a loan....prety much for the average every day American. I don't feel getting a loan will be totally bad. I already have one Im paying back now. But, by the time Im done with schooling, and having to pay back the college loan, my current loan will be done with. :-)

Revinius
Oct 6th 2008, 01:22 AM
It's up to you mate, i know personally that i cant stand being in debt, which is why i only use my visa debit card.

ConservChrist
Oct 6th 2008, 02:40 AM
Well with student loans, speaking with my older sister who owes $150,000 it's not too bad. If I can get the right one, the payments wont be too bad, mainly alos because I wont have to start paying until im done with college. And by then, ill be a licensed counselor and with smaller payments, paying the loans back wont be too bad. And then, even after that, I can dabble in getting my doctorates.

unkerns
Oct 6th 2008, 03:23 AM
Ill tell you what scripture says it for a reason, it has definitely made life alot harder.

As for the things you can purchase you can get cars for as low as $100 in that case all you would need to do is put in the wrench time, I also bought a paid for my first car it cost me 2,300 and I loved it.

I paid for my 2 years of community college while I worked in construction, it cost about the same as yours does, There plenty of houses you can rent to buy, or you can just continue to rent, and there are even community homes where people come together to live. After my second car I stopped getting loans and its was just a pain with that now im married and we have to pay for all the schooling she had.

Thing is my wife and I are finally doing Yahwehs work in our life and our schooling has been for the most part a big waste of money, but I will say I did learn some pretty cool things.

Im just trying to help you before you start digging that hole.

God be with you

ConservChrist
Oct 6th 2008, 04:36 AM
Well, like I had it explained quite well..Im not looking at it as a debt, but an investment. And investment with my life...my career. and when I become a counselor, I know I will be making good money,the loans will disappear.

my first car, was 2,500...I got a loan, and the first week i had it, it sat in my drive way and a hail storm went through, totalling it.lol Warrenty paid it off and I got it for free with $200 to spare. aweomse. I had that car for five years. lol then I got a new one. my current one. and Ill be making payments on it for five years. then it is gone. and by then, i should be workign on my masters. :-D Im getting excited! Im going to love college, going to be what Ive always known Im supposed to be.