PDA

View Full Version : What is God's form?-moved from Intro

nowiz
Oct 4th 2008, 06:45 PM
Something I've been wondering about for a while. Man was created in God's image and likeness. Does that mean that God looks like a human or did God (Jesus) in His Theophanies of the Old Testament take on human shape to relate to Abraham and others? If Jesus is the same past, present and future, does that mean He always looked like a human?:confused

HisLeast
Oct 4th 2008, 06:51 PM
Something I've been wondering about for a while. Man was created in God's image and likeness. Does that mean that God looks like a human or did God (Jesus) in His Theophanies of the Old Testament take on human shape to relate to Abraham and others? If Jesus is the same past, present and future, does that mean He always looked like a human?:confused

In my opinion its not talking about physical form or shape, but rather spiritual form and/or nature.

TRL1957
Oct 5th 2008, 02:52 AM
Welcome to the board!!! Many blessings to you. :)

Redneck Charger
Oct 5th 2008, 11:23 AM
G'day nowiz.. Welcome to the BibleForums.. Wonderful place to be..and even more wonderful to have you here with us..:hug:

BrokenOne
Oct 5th 2008, 04:48 PM
Being made in God's Image denotes several things. First we must realize that God is a Spirit not a physical being. The only physical aspect of God is in Jesus, which did not occur until the Incarnation of the Son. I personally believe that nothing is beyond God's ability to manifest Himself in a seemingly physical appearance. Some of what the Old Testament accounts for as God appearing to people is actually Him going to the people in an angelic representative. As for man being made in His image, this is in several aspects which include a will to choose, a liberty to act, and the ability to have a relationship with God which also includes the ability to love. Do not forget that man was originally created eternal. God had no intention for any man to die. This physical death was a result of sin. I hope this helps.

SIG
Oct 5th 2008, 09:54 PM

God's nature is the same always--His appearance, not so much. Consider Jesus as a lamb slain before the beginning of the world, as a Galilee carpenter, as a stranger at the door of Abraham's tent, as an infant in a manger, at His transfiguration, etc.

Consider the burning bush, a man who is captain of the Lord's host, one like the Son of Man walking in a fiery furnace, the Shekinah glory, and more...

Good question, by the way!

Ethnikos
Oct 5th 2008, 10:01 PM
...Does that mean that God looks like a human... If Adam was alive today, I am sure people would worship him as a god. We are not so great today because of so many generations of suffering the affects of sin.

David Taylor
Oct 6th 2008, 02:51 PM

God is a spirit.

When man was created in the image of God; it had to do with our sentient spirit; not our bodily appearance.

John 4:24 "God is a Spirit"

Luke 24:39 "For a spirit hath not flesh and bones."

Mormonism and some of the WOF movement teachers attempt to give God who is an omnipresent Spirit a body of flesh and bones; but historical Judaism and Christianity have both always taught that God is Spirit.