PDA

View Full Version : Driving: habits that reveal... the heart?

valleybldr
Oct 6th 2008, 11:25 AM
I do allot of driving. Being a middle age white male I know my group has more then it's fair share of "bad" drivers. I often watch how people drive and then guess their sex, age and race. I sometimes wonder what these folk are like in their personal relationships. The chronic lane changers who haven't the energy or moral need to use their turn signals. The people who's personal needs far outweigh everyone else’s on the road.

On the other hand we see real acts of kindness and generosity on the road. People who won't risk an accident to make a late turn but calmly go to the next exit and make their way "back on track."

I kinda wonder if one's faith walk tends to impact their driving. Maybe, I need to add a morning prayer, "Lord, may you be seen in my driving this day."

todd

graceforme
Oct 6th 2008, 12:34 PM
I do allot of driving. Being a middle age white male I know my group has more then it's fair share of "bad" drivers. I often watch how people drive and then guess their sex, age and race. I sometimes wonder what these folk are like in their personal relationships. The chronic lane changers who haven't the energy or moral need to use their turn signals. The people who's personal needs far outweigh everyone else’s on the road.

On the other hand we see real acts of kindness and generosity on the road. People who won't risk an accident to make a late turn but calmly go to the next exit and make their way "back on track."

I kinda wonder if one's faith walk tends to impact their driving. Maybe, I need to add a morning prayer, "Lord, may you be seen in my driving this day."

todd

Good words. Our driving habits, just like our very lives, can show others the love of Christ, or they can be a terrible witness for Him. Too often, in this busy life, people are careless, over-tired, distracted and do things that they might not do otherwise. Just yesterday, I was almost hit by a driver who ran right through a red light. She simply wasn't paying attention. I was very angry, but then I thought, "That could have been me." I, too, am over-tired, careless, and distracted at times. Prayer is needed.

And we all need to slow down, take our time, and be a lot more patient with those around us.

God Bless.

walked
Oct 6th 2008, 12:55 PM

todd

I will say yes, a persons driving habits will reveal which spirit is at the helm.
But, I will admit that my Lords spirit is not always at my helm steering and directing my life at times too. As much as I want to do good all of the time, I don't always.

Emanate
Oct 6th 2008, 01:11 PM
I find that many times I receive the gift of prophecy while driving. Sometimes when I see dangerous drivers I begin to prophecy where they will go, and how soon they can get there.

Vhayes
Oct 6th 2008, 01:23 PM
Good thread and good thoughts, Todd. Don't laugh but I have been saying a prayer asking God to guide me and keep me as I get in my vehicle for the last ten years or so. Not just that He get me safely to where I am going but that He keep my driving habits in His hands so I don't cause consternation in my fellow drivers.
V

Frances
Oct 6th 2008, 04:45 PM
Lord, this journey I must take,
please correct each fault I make.
When I see a frustrating car
help me see that's where You are.
Please Lord, may I always feel
Your hands on my steering wheel;
Help my arms turn the wheel right -
all things, Lord, are in Your sight,
Rule my feet on pedals small
for You. Lord, are over all.
So please take the controls of my car
for each journey near or far.

(from my website)

keck553
Oct 6th 2008, 04:47 PM
They certainly reveal the battle that rages within all of us.

NavyFirefighter
Oct 7th 2008, 10:16 AM
If driving habbits are any indication of someones spiritual life, every driver in Naples, Italy is going straight to hell and taking several belivers with them.

Esperanza32
Oct 7th 2008, 03:50 PM
I read this thread early this morning and have been thinking about it since. Thanks for starting it!

I suppose the love of Christ should be reflected in EVERYTHING we do...how we drive, shop, walk, do laundry, work, interact with others, etc etc etc...If our faith doesn't affect the little day-to-day details of our life, how important is it to us, really?

VerticalReality
Oct 7th 2008, 03:56 PM
Probably wouldn't be the best witness to see pastor so and so in court all the time paying speeding tickets and the like. The standard for that pastor is the same for every other Christian . . . be a good witness for our Lord Jesus Christ. This includes obeying the laws of the land and doing whatever you can to be a safe and courteous driver.

Dani H
Oct 7th 2008, 04:10 PM
If driving habbits are any indication of someones spiritual life, every driver in Naples, Italy is going straight to hell and taking several belivers with them.

Haha. In Paris (when I was there last over 20 years ago), the pedestrians have a habit of just crossing the road regardless of the traffic, and drivers swerving around them. Because if you stand there and wait for traffic to pass, then you will be waiting until the proverbial cows come home. When in France ... err, Rome ... err, Naples ... :D

My heart's Desire
Oct 7th 2008, 08:11 PM
Ah, good thread. I'm a good driver well in terms of no accidents or tickets in many, many years, yet I think I'm a bad one too. I never leave enough time to get somewhere so therefore rushed ((I confess my sin!;) ) Anyway, just like every human, I start to rile when others push, shove, get in front, no lane change etc.....As the words come out I have to stop and pray Lord, I'm sorry. I'm as bad as they and please get us all where we need to be safely. Driving has become my conviction, prayer center me thinks!

Oh yes, and uggggggggg cell phone drivers! God bless em! Ever see someone drive a Cell Phone? Well, they might as well be!

NavyFirefighter
Oct 12th 2008, 05:43 PM
Here is just a little taste of what trafic is like in Bella Napoli (Beautiful Naples)
I did not record these. They were already on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0h7JkkJUAs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BJThn0IDrY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqG63cZgIhk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QybToJRYkE

4 more weeks and I will be back in Alabama The Beautiful until God tells me to go somewhere else.

crossnote
Oct 13th 2008, 05:13 AM
My license plate states "Our sin His Death / His grace our life.'

I just wish my driving could be a witness to that.

But if pastors only preached what they practiced the pulpits would be kinda quiet.

Tailgaters peeve me especially when there are four lanes to my left that are open. Well, I get even when I get to work and jump in my tractor trailer.