PDA

View Full Version : When God's Will Is Not Your Will

walkin2e
Oct 8th 2008, 11:56 AM
When God's Will Is Not Your Will

Luke 22 verse 42 "Saying, Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done."

As a Christian, we are to seek God's will for our life, and for our situations. If we truly trust and have faith in God, He will do what is best, because His plans for us are right. I am sure that Jesus, as a man, did not want to face the cross, but He knew that it was the Father's plan. Other people, including some of His closest friends, family, and disciples, did not understand this simple fact...Jesus came to do the will of the Father.

Many times, the Lord places us in situations that we as human beings, do not want, do not desire, do not understand. Yet, we need to be submissive to the Father's will. Are you in a job where you know the Lord wants you, yet you are seeking a change? Are you living in an area where the Lord placed you, yet you are seeking to move? Are there some obnoxious people in your life, and you can't get rid of them? I could go on and on with the questions, and I am sure your answers would be yes. Just relax, give it to the Lord, and He will give you grace under pressure to endure until His divine purposes are accomplished.

Joseph was sold into slavery by his own kinfolk, yet he came to realize that God had placed him there for a time, a season, and a purpose. That story in the book of Genesis is one full of injustices, disappointments, heartache, and grief. In the end, however, it is a story of great victory and triumph...all because it was God's will.

Sometimes people you love and care for leave you, and are no longer a part of your life. God placed them there for a season and a reason. I have seen many people come and go in my lifetime, yet one always remains. He is my best friend, Jesus. I know I can trust Him in all things, even when I don't understand. After all, He was willing to follow the Father's will and give His life for me.

We should all be able to pray, "Our Father which art in heaven, hallowed be thy name, thy will be done as in heaven, so in earth".

Walkin2e

Lamplighter
Oct 10th 2008, 01:04 AM
The tricky thing is figuring out what is God's will through the Holy Spirit's guidance, and what is your own will and desires you think the Holy Spirit is leading you towards. Most of the time, Christians confuse their own will and desires, with the will of the Holy Spirit directed by God. It's an easy thing to do. Human will is very strong and selfish.

lendtay
Oct 10th 2008, 05:44 PM
The tricky thing is figuring out what is God's will through the Holy Spirit's guidance, and what is your own will and desires you think the Holy Spirit is leading you towards. Most of the time, Christians confuse their own will and desires, with the will of the Holy Spirit directed by God. It's an easy thing to do. Human will is very strong and selfish.

I agree. I don't always know what God's will is. If I get into a car accident, was that God's will that it should happen. I don't really know.

lendtay
Oct 10th 2008, 05:47 PM
Sometimes people you love and care for leave you, and are no longer a part of your life. God placed them there for a season and a reason.

Walkin2e

I have a friend who is coping with this right now. She met a Christian man at her church, they went out on just a couple of dates, then he had to move away. He said he'd keep in touch, but never did. She thinks now he was not "a real Christian" because he won't keep in touch with her. I think he just decided not to be part of her life, and is trying to communicate that with her in a non-verbal way.

Biastai
Oct 10th 2008, 10:08 PM
I like your example of Joseph. He was someone who easily could've bitterly dwelt on the drama within his own family. It turned out that the true scope of those events dwarfed the interests of only his family. The framework of that situation expanded from the family of Jacob to Egypt and the new nation of Israel.

Constantly working to expand my worldview is something I've been wrestling with for years and will be a lifelong work. It can be compared to when the geocentric point of view of the universe gave way to a heliocentric solar system. It was disturbing and shocking to a lot of folk, but when the view stabilized and sunk in, it ultimately cleared things up a lot more.

In the same way, we may go kicking and screaming into our development from a man-centered worldview to a God-centered worldview, but it must be done (Romans 12:2).

Dani H
Oct 11th 2008, 01:22 AM
Well, there are certain things that are always God's will, such as love your neighbor (especially those annoying people right under our nose), forgive people, seek God's face and pray, and so forth. These are plain Scripture and just require obedience. And with each step of obedience, usually the next step becomes clear as day.

We often question God's will in a situation, when really, we just don't want to obey and so we're trying to ... gracefully backtrack ... our way out, instead of moving forward in obedience. :)

Sold Out
Oct 11th 2008, 01:00 PM
After all, He was willing to follow the Father's will and give His life for me.

We should all be able to pray, "Our Father which art in heaven, hallowed be thy name, thy will be done as in heaven, so in earth".

Walkin2e

Fantastic post! I pray everyday that I will be able to do God's Will in my life.