PDA

View Full Version : Buddhists, Atheists, etc.....

cmays
Oct 8th 2008, 07:48 PM
My sister-in-law is struggling with her faith immensely. She accepts and believes in God and Jesus, but her sticking point is the fact that she doesn't think that God would not let someone into heaven that was a good person but was a Buddhist, or Atheist. I want to be able to answer this correctly and feel bad as a christian who can't answer it right now....need some advice. Thanks.

Tanya~
Oct 8th 2008, 07:54 PM
Hi cmays,

Thanks for your question, and welcome to the forums! I'm moving your post into the Apologetics and Evangelism forum which is more appropriate for this discussion. Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the rules of the board and the rules of the individual forums.

Thank you and I'm sure you will get some excellent replies in the A&E forum!

Literalist-Luke
Oct 8th 2008, 08:14 PM
My sister-in-law is struggling with her faith immensely. She accepts and believes in God and Jesus, but her sticking point is the fact that she doesn't think that God would not let someone into heaven that was a good person but was a Buddhist, or Atheist. I want to be able to answer this correctly and feel bad as a christian who can't answer it right now....need some advice. Thanks.Ask her who determines what constitutes a "good" person. A "good" person in our eyes is still like "filthy rags" (to quote the Bible) in God's eyes.

David Taylor
Oct 8th 2008, 08:47 PM
My sister-in-law is struggling with her faith immensely. She accepts and believes in God and Jesus, but her sticking point is the fact that she doesn't think that God would not let someone into heaven that was a good person but was a Buddhist, or Atheist. I want to be able to answer this correctly and feel bad as a christian who can't answer it right now....need some advice. Thanks.

A Buddhist or an Atheist still Cannot get to Heaven apart from repenting and turning to follow Jesus.

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Acts 4:10 Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole. This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner. Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

However, just because we personally, may not understand how God works with other people in all situations; doesn't mean God has abandoned them; and has not made Himself known to them.

God uses missionaries; as well as dreams and visions. God uses angels; God Himself has appeared to men.

It is a non-Christian worldview that perpetuates the idea that there are people in the African Savannah or Latin American Rainforests who have been forgotten by God.

That IMO, is a false premise.

I've been to the African plains and to the deep rainforests; and the message of Jesus Christ has been there and made known to folks just as it has in the jungles of New York City and Paris France.

What does the Scripture say?

Titus 2:11 "For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men"

Acts 17:24 "God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands; Neither is worshipped with men's hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things; And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation; That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us"

Romans 1:20 "For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse: Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools, And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things. Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves: Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator"

Romans 10:17 "So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. But I say, Have they not heard? Yes verily, their sound went into all the earth, and their words unto the ends of the world."

So it isn't that God is ineffective in getting His Word out about Jesus.......

rather, it is that men when they are confronted with the truth of God; in however He chooses to reveal it to them....choose darkness over light.

Buddhists and Atheists can go to Heaven, but only after repenting and turning to faithfully follow the Lord who created them.

Psalms 139:7-16 (MSG)
Is there anyplace I can go to avoid your Spirit?
to be out of your sight?
If I climb to the sky, you're there!
If I go underground, you're there!
If I flew on morning's wings
to the far western horizon,
You'd find me in a minute—
you're already there waiting!
Then I said to myself, "Oh, he even sees me in the dark!
At night I'm immersed in the light!"
It's a fact: darkness isn't dark to you;
night and day, darkness and light, they're all the same to you.
Oh yes, you shaped me first inside, then out;
you formed me in my mother's womb.
I thank you, High God—you're breathtaking!
Body and soul, I am marvelously made!
I worship in adoration—what a creation!
You know me inside and out,
you know every bone in my body;
You know exactly how I was made, bit by bit,
how I was sculpted from nothing into something.
Like an open book, you watched me grow from conception to birth;
all the stages of my life were spread out before you,
The days of my life all prepared before I'd even lived one day.

cmays
Oct 9th 2008, 01:16 AM
thanks.....I think I knew the answer to that in my heart, but I wanted reinforcement....it will be a difficult thing for me to convince her that Jesus Christ is the only way to heaven, it is hard for her because she has known people who were not Christians, but were what she called "good" people....part of our mission as Christians is to witness and testify to the Love of God.

Dani H
Oct 9th 2008, 02:16 AM
The fascinating thing about our flesh, which is our fallen human nature, is that it doesn't just have the propensity for evil, but also has the propensity for good.

And our good still doesn't measure up to a holy God, who abhors our flesh in its entirety and would rather give us His own nature when we embrace what Jesus has done for us and fully enter into it.

We must be clothed with Jesus Christ, because no flesh can stand in God's presence and live.

Sold Out
Oct 11th 2008, 01:28 PM

You need to point her to the goodness of God. Romans 5:8 says that God proved His love for us by sending Christ to die for our sins. Everyone has the same opportunity to respond to salvation. Romans 2:4 says the goodness of God leads us to repentance.

Your sister-in-law needs to stop leaning on her own understanding (Prov 3:5) and take God at His Word. That is true faith, taking God's Word over your own. According to Heb 11:6, only faith pleases God.

Jesus meant what He said in John 14:6, "Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."

He said He is 'THE' way, not 'A' way. Either God is a liar or He isn't. Our society's 'tolerant' thinking has poisoned people. Also, knowing that Jesus is the only way should motivate us to get out and tell people how to be saved!

Ethereal Spark
Oct 11th 2008, 02:22 PM
Isaiah 55:8 &9

For my thoughts [are] not your thoughts, neither [are] your ways my ways, saith the LORD.
For [as] the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

This might not seem relevant to this discussion at first, but I thought I'd add this because our idea of "a good person" is very far below God's. We can't worship Him in our own way. We must obey Him according to His way, whether it makes sense to our natural mind or not.

Just a couple more scriptures to add to those already posted:

Proverbs 16:25
There is a way that seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof [are] the ways of death.

Romans 5:18
For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.

Only one.