*Hope*
Oct 9th 2008, 02:29 AM
Just wanted to toss out a few questions to discuss:

1. Would you consider apologetics:
A. Useful in evangelism
B. Unnecessary in evangelism
C. Essential in evangelism

2. Why or why not on the above?

3. Do you think evangelism is a matter of the heart, mind or both? Why or why not?

4. What is your definition of true, biblical faith?

Thanks!

apothanein kerdos
Oct 9th 2008, 06:01 PM

A. Useful in evangelism

3. Do you think evangelism is a matter of the heart, mind or both? Why or why not?

Thanks!

1) It's not always necessary to use apologetics in evangelism. It could very well be that the person agrees with the Judeo-Christian worldview and, subsequently, apologetics are not needed. In most instances, however, I would argue that apologetics is needed as a precursor to evangelism. Make no mistake, however, Apologetics isn't evangelism.

2) Gave the description :)

3) It's both. Evangelism appeals to the entirety of human existence - intellect, heart, emotions, etc.

4) True faith is trusting on that which you know to be true.

Junos
Oct 9th 2008, 06:20 PM
Great question Hope!

1. I don't think apologetics are needed necessarily in evangelism. I think all you need is the law (10 commandments). Once you establish that a person is guilty, let the Holy Spirit do the rest. When it comes to evangelism, you don't want to get into an interlectual debate with anyone, attack the conscience .

3. All

4. Being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.

Just My Thoughts!

Sold Out
Oct 11th 2008, 01:21 PM

A. Useful in evangelism

Thanks!

It depends on the situation. Anytime I present the Gospel, I kindly ask the person to save their questions until I'm done. That way I don't get sidetracked answering a million questions. In only ONE witnessing situation, I had to rely upon apologetics to win a person to Christ. There are some people that need their questions answered to get over the hump, so to speak. In my experience, I rarely have to argue someone to salvation. The Gospel takes care of it all! It (the gospel) has the power to save, not my ability to use apologetics. (Rom 1:16)

Evangelism is a matter of faith. The reason is- faith is nothing more than taking God's word over our own. Since God said we are to witness, then we are exercising faith when we do. There are some Christians who have the spiritual gift of evangelism, so it comes very easily to them. Most of us have to do it on faith!