PDA

View Full Version : Hmmm?

DeadToSelf
Oct 10th 2008, 10:49 PM
Hi all,

Well I just wanted some insight on what you guys/gals thought and stuff.

Well the Key Word Study Bible and Strong's Concordance go hand and hand, from what I've read, but I have never looked into a Key Word Study Bible and I have only skimmed through a Strong's Concordance.

How do you use the books? Do what's with the number system and how does it all work out?

Thanks.

markedward
Oct 10th 2008, 11:39 PM
My mother owns a (very large) Strong's Concordance, and the few times I've used it, it worked pretty well. But fortunately, I much prefer the use of Lexicons; Concordances are good for telling me where a word is, but Lexicons are good for telling me what a word is in its original language, and what its definitions are (pretty much a dictionary for a foreign language). And, fortunately, online Lexicons take up both the tasks of regular Lexicons and Concordances.

I regularly use these two (http://bible.crosswalk.com/Lexicons/) Lexicons, but occasionally consult other ones on the 'net if I feel it necessary. The two Lexicons I linked to (one Hebrew, one Greek) give you a great deal of information. Both of them:

Give the option of looking up a word in the Bible by English or Hebrew/Greek or Strong's number
Find the closest matches and lists them (or offers a list of closest matches if you misspelled something - or if it thinks you did)
Gives the option of looking up your selected word (whether English/Greek/Hebrew/Strong's number) according to either the KJV or the NASB.
Shows multiple definitions for the chosen word
Shows how it is spelled in its own alphabet (the website provides the Hebrew and Greek fonts in case you don't have them already)
Shows how it is spelled in English (transliteration (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transliteration#Difference_between_transliteration _and_transcription))
Shows how to pronounce it (using English phonetics)
Provides an audio pronunciation
Provides whether it is a masculine, feminine or neutral word
Provides whether it is a noun, adjective, verb, etc.
Provides the root words (etymology)
Provides how many times the word is used in the Bible and how many times it is translated in such a way, depending on the version you selected (e.g., debeq is found 3 times in the OT, translated in the KJV as "joint" twice and "sodering" once)
Provides links to every book, chapter and verse that the word is used in, and highlights it in bold in that verse

It's a pretty powerful study tool.

Chimon
Oct 11th 2008, 12:13 AM
The problem I have with Strong's is that it is keyed to the KJV, which is an inferior translation (in terms of faithfulness to the critical text.) I used the NASB Strongest Concordance for a while, which is much better, however, I think you can get much more bang for your buck with software study tools now. I recommend Logos or BibleWorks.