PDA

View Full Version : Do you believe were the last generation?

Marc2x
Oct 12th 2008, 02:02 AM
Or at least live to be in the rapture or the tribulation?

Jesus said.

“This Generation
Will Not Pass”
Many are puzzled by Jesus Christ’s
words, “Assuredly, I say to you, this
generation will by no means pass away till all
these things take place” (Matthew 24:34).
Did He mean that generation of His disciples?
First, note the future context. Jesus
had just said, “So you also, when you see
all these things, know that it is near—at
the doors!” (verse 33).
Did His disciples “see all these things” in
their generation? Certainly not. They were
not in a generation that had the ability to
destroy all of mankind. Jesus said of the
final, end-time generation, “And unless
those days were shortened, no flesh would
be saved” (verse 22). Clearly the weapons
of that day were not sufficient to bring this
prophecy to pass.
Although Christ’s disciples did see wars,
famines, plagues and persecutions, and
some even lived to see the destruction of
Jerusalem several decades later, these
were not the total fulfillment of Jesus
Christ’s words. They were not the prophesied
global events that would directly lead
to Jesus Christ’s return.
So what did Jesus mean when He
referred to “this generation”? He could not
have meant that current generation of His
day. They died without seeing all the events
leading to His return. The obvious meaning,
then, is that He could only have meant the
generation of the last days.
Jesus knew that the course of end-time
events would not continue indefinitely.
Once they were set in motion, all would
occur within the lifetime of one generation.
Only one generation will witness all the
mounting global conditions described in
God’s Word. That generation will see the
arrival of the specific 31⁄2-year period that
will mark the end of “this present evil age”
and usher in the Kingdom of God.
These events will not pass from one
generation to another. Once the prophesied
conditions exist, all will be fulfilled—including
the return of Jesus Christ—within the
lifetime of one generation. Considering the
signs Jesus foretold that would mark that
time, it appears to be here.

Literalist-Luke
Oct 12th 2008, 02:10 AM
You have to take the entire Olivet Discourse into consideration, including Matthew 24/25, Mark 13, and Luke 21. When you put all three together and consider that Jesus was answering three different questions (listed below), then the comment about "this generation" makes perfect sense. None of the three versions of the Olivet Discourse is comprehensive. They have to be combined together, using their common points to determine Jesus' meaning.

Jesus was discussing three things the Apostles asked Him about:

1. When will the destruction of the temple happen?

2. What will be the sign of your coming?

3. What will be the sign of the end of the age?

The answer is spread out among all three accounts of the Olivet Discourse. The most extensive account of the destruction of the temple is given in Luke 21. However, there is a statement in Matthew 24 that pertains to that destruction - "This generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened."

It is very obvious that the generation that heard Jesus' words is long gone. So whatever He was talking about is something that has to have already happened. What did He discuss in the Olivet Discourse that has already happened? The destruction of the temple. It's not hard to figure out when you're not trying to find some dark, hidden meaning that was never intended. Jesus was giving the most straight-forward answer He could give. He wanted His disciples to understand Him. So for us to attempt to take His straight-forward answer and make it into something so confusing that thousands of people are debating about what it "means" is to rob ourselves of having a crystal-clear understanding of exactly what He said.

Revinius
Oct 12th 2008, 04:34 AM
I try to live like He will come again any time now.

Buzzword
Oct 12th 2008, 02:13 PM
Nope, mainly because EVERY generation since Christ has believed that THEY were the "last generation."

I just try to do God's will on a daily basis, and help others.

Because really, if you're living the life, you have nothing to worry about regarding the end times, or even regarding death.

Revinius
Oct 12th 2008, 02:24 PM
I am pretty sure urgency is part of the Christian mission. 146,000 people die each day, most not knowing Christ. World mission as a whole is incredibly important and it starts with us in our rich countries evangelising to those around us. With a figure like the above we should naturally be filled with some sort of sense of haste.

Buzzword
Oct 12th 2008, 07:46 PM
I am pretty sure urgency is part of the Christian mission. 146,000 people die each day, most not knowing Christ. World mission as a whole is incredibly important and it starts with us in our rich countries evangelising to those around us. With a figure like the above we should naturally be filled with some sort of sense of haste.

But not haste due to the whole "He could be back tomorrow!" spiel.

Haste due to the fact that your neighbor across the street could die tomorrow, and while you knew them for decades, you never took the responsibility to share with them.

Personally, I don't believe it reflects the character of God to banish those who have never heard of Christ to eternal separation.
He cannot be a just God if He punishes those who did not know they were sinning.

Athanasius
Oct 12th 2008, 07:55 PM
He cannot be a just God if He punishes those who did not know they were sinning.

Do you ever wonder why people who believe purely in naturalism raise the objection of suffering and evil?

Revinius
Oct 13th 2008, 04:11 AM
The potter can do what He wishes with the clay...

Friend of Jesus
Oct 13th 2008, 06:42 AM
The potter can do what He wishes with the clay...

Ah yes, but if you believe that Jesus saved you from your sin you become God's child. And the father will do all he can for his child!

Revinius
Oct 13th 2008, 12:23 PM
i was responding to Buzzwords assertion that God wouldn't smash someone who didnt know of Him.

Friend of Jesus
Oct 13th 2008, 03:17 PM
I know, but I thought I'd say it anyway.