PDA

View Full Version : Alone.

Kelly12345
Oct 12th 2008, 06:06 AM
Hey everyone.

Do you believe sometimes that God may want certain people alone? I guess what I am trying to say is: Do you think that maybe he is doing certain things in your life and he is trying to shield you from things?

I've been really alone. I have 7 brothers and sister all which are my half siblings...I only have close contact with two and lately I have not spoken with them lately too much. And once I told my brother and his wife, "I call you all the time and no one answers." He replied by saying, "That's because we don't want to talk." It really makes me sad. And I've been trying to make friends lately and they don't respond to my emails or calls. or anything. None of my brothers and sisters keep in contact with me. (expcept for two and as I've said...it's not even too often.)

I've been wondering when all of this loneliness will end or if it ever will or if God wants me to be alone.

Chimon
Oct 12th 2008, 08:10 AM
I think God draws us away from people for a time in order to teach us to rely on him. Eventually though, God brings us into a warm and loving spiritual family. We know that it is God's plan for us to live in a community, becuase God himself exists in community.

I encourage you to focus on prayer and knowing Gods word as a way of satisfying yourself in this time. As you focus on relying on God for your acceptance and support, God will slowly bring people alongside you to build you up.

At the same time, wait actively by getting involved with your church and other groups that allow you to build relationships.

Pr 18: "A man of many companions may come to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother." While some people who say this friend is God, I would disagree, and say that while God is our friend, the writer is refering to the close bond of a human friend.

Consider also Genesis 2: "Then the LORD God said, "It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him a helper fit for him."

Literalist-Luke
Oct 12th 2008, 12:37 PM
Kelly, are you active in a church? Is the church large enough that there's a good-sized group of other people about your age?

Justin121121
Oct 12th 2008, 05:28 PM
Your situation does seem sad, but you have to remember one thing, You're never truly alone if you have God in your life. As far as making friends, you may possibly be trying to hard. I remember heading into high school not knowing anybody, for a few weeks actually. If you just let nature ( with guidance from the good lord of course ) take its course, you'll have friends in no time, Trust me and trust The Good Lord.

Athanasius
Oct 12th 2008, 06:26 PM
Hey everyone.

Do you believe sometimes that God may want certain people alone? I guess what I am trying to say is: Do you think that maybe he is doing certain things in your life and he is trying to shield you from things?

I certainly believe God wants certain people to be 'alone', but let me explain what I mean.

If you look at Jesus' life, what will you notice? Jesus a lot of the time got away from everyone for time with God. Consider, especially his 40 days in the wilderness - just Jesus, God and angels, there were no people around (there was also no food). Jesus was led into this desert by the Holy Spirit, so God had a hand in getting Jesus away from everyone. Jesus was brought away from everyone so that he could refocus on God. So in that sense, God gets us away from the distractions of life to refocus us on Him.

I'm 2,000 miles away from everything I hold dear. This is my wilderness. God knows I need it (and I do). Though I will say I'm not alone, I'm in a community of believers (Bible College)

I've been really alone. I have 7 brothers and sister all which are my half siblings...I only have close contact with two and lately I have not spoken with them lately too much. And once I told my brother and his wife, "I call you all the time and no one answers." He replied by saying, "That's because we don't want to talk." It really makes me sad. And I've been trying to make friends lately and they don't respond to my emails or calls. or anything. None of my brothers and sisters keep in contact with me. (expcept for two and as I've said...it's not even too often.)

I've been wondering when all of this loneliness will end or if it ever will or if God wants me to be alone.

Hold old are you?

Kelly12345
Oct 12th 2008, 07:32 PM
I am 19 years old.

Athanasius
Oct 12th 2008, 07:56 PM
I am 19 years old.

Care to share more about your personal life? Why you don't have friends?

Kelly12345
Oct 12th 2008, 09:43 PM
Well...I graduated high school in MAY of 2007. I only had about three really close friends. One moved to College in a different part of the state (two hours away) and we emailed all the time and about six months ago she stopped responding and she wouldn't return calls or anything. Another friend just stopped having contact with me. We've met up twice since grad. One time in the summer of 2007 and once this past june...she doesn't respond to me when I contact her. Then there is one of my friends who is now a senior in school. We meet up maybe once a month for supper. Shes more close now with those friends in her classes. SO-there that is. I've tried to make friends with a few people I just talked to in classes...guess they dont want the same...

Literalist-Luke
Oct 12th 2008, 10:45 PM
Kelly, what about your church life? And to go ahead and answer your question, if God meant for us to be alone, he wouldn't have given Eve to Adam.

Kelly12345
Oct 13th 2008, 12:17 AM
Well...my church is made up of senior citizens...and only a few high-schoolers that are way younger than me.

σяєяυииєя
Oct 13th 2008, 12:52 AM
Well...my church is made up of senior citizens...and only a few high-schoolers that are way younger than me.

Hello Kelly,

Well you have us :spin:.

And:

God will provide... Gen. 22.8 Kelly God will.

Be good

http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/5459/natureavyty7.jpg
http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/3020/lifesigyyt9.gif

Ekeak
Oct 13th 2008, 01:57 AM
Jesus loves you. You can talk to him any time you want.

*Hope*
Oct 13th 2008, 02:19 AM
Most of the time I think God uses others to support and encourage us. Other times I think He wants us all to Himself.

Literalist-Luke
Oct 13th 2008, 02:25 AM
Hello Kelly,

Well you have us :spin:.

And:

God will provide... Gen. 22.8 Kelly God will.

Be good

http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/3020/lifesigyyt9.gifYeah, well, a lot of times, He gives us the wisdom/strength to do it ourselves.

Kelly, are you going to that church by yourself, or with some family? Why that particular church? Do you live in a pretty good-sized city or a small town?

Literalist-Luke
Oct 13th 2008, 02:26 AM
Most of the time I think God uses others to support and encourage us. Other times I think He wants us all to Himself.It's both. :yes:

Kelly12345
Oct 13th 2008, 03:53 AM
I live in a small town...
I've been going to that church since birth...
family members have moved/stopped going...so when I do go it is by myself.

σяєяυииєя
Oct 13th 2008, 05:08 AM
when I do go it is by myself.

That`s something!!

:saint:

Kelly12345
Oct 13th 2008, 05:27 AM
That`s something!!

:saint:

what does that mean?

Literalist-Luke
Oct 13th 2008, 05:28 AM
family members have moved/stopped going...so when I do go it is by myself.OK, so then you might have some options without having to offend any relatives that might not take kindly to abandoning them at church, that's good. Are there any other churches nearby that might have a more similar age level to you that would still be compatible with your beliefs?

Kelly12345
Oct 13th 2008, 05:37 AM
Yes. I live around very many churches.
But - I mean...
lately Its like I can't even hear from God it seems.

Literalist-Luke
Oct 13th 2008, 07:13 AM
Yes. I live around very many churches. But - I mean...lately Its like I can't even hear from God it seems.Oh, OK, I see where you’re coming from now. You’re feeling completely isolated to the point where you feel like you have nobody, even including God, to share your life with, right? I’ve been there.

Let’s talk about this on two levels – human and God.

The simplest one is the human level. You need to get around some people who you can relate to. The easiest thing to do would be to go to a church with some people who are close to your age and with whom you could establish some friendships. Just make sure you choose a church that is compatible with your beliefs and that has solid Bible teaching as the foundation for its beliefs.

Now, about God. This could wind up being really “deep”. I’m going to try to not bowl you over right now, but just so you know, I’ll go as deep into this discussion as you want. “Hearing from God” is something that I’ve been dealing with throughout most of my life, and I think I’ve gotten a pretty good understanding of it. I have learned to develop a relationship with Him that is very rich, meaningful, and helps me to live a full, abundant life. You can do the same thing as well.

The first thing is to make sure that you’re doing consistent Bible study. How often do you spend time reading your Bible? Without an understanding of the Bible, you’ll be short-circuiting your relationship with Him before you even get started. That doesn’t mean you need to be a seminary theologian or anything (besides, some of the ones I know ain’t that smart anyway), you just need to have some idea of what’s in your Bible.

When I was first starting out, the parts of the Bible that I found most helpful were Paul’s letters – especially the shorter ones to the Galatians, Ephesians, Colossians, and Philippians. I would take an evening and just read straight through one of them to get a sense of how the original recipients would have heard them the first time they were being read. Try to ignore the chapters and verses as much as you can and just let the words speak as if you were reading a letter from a friend. Just let Paul show you God’s frame of mind about the things he discusses in those letters. Keep in mind as your reading them that even though Paul wrote the words, it’s still the Word of God, so you’re actually getting a glimpse inside the mind of God Himself. (Pretty cool, huh? :) )

Getting to know your Bible will be a lifelong process. I’m still working on it and I’ve been at it now for about 20 years. Personally, I’m in the process of working through the minor prophets at the end of the Old Testament, but that’s pretty heavy stuff for a young believer.

One thing that was also a big, big help to me was to start using a read-the-Bible-in-a-year calendar. You could get a One Year Bible at your local Christian bookstore. I have been using those readings for my daily devotion for most of the last 20 years. We both know you’ll miss days here and there, and that’s OK. But after a few years, you’ll have read the entire Bible, much of it more than once. That’ll give you an excellent foundation in understanding your Bible.

OK, enough on your Bible, now for the deeper stuff – prayer.

Most people think of prayer as us talking to God using a lot of nice-sounding words. I call that approach "making a speech to God". I also despise it. True prayer is simply being in the presence of God. It's true that we'll spend part of that time talking to Him, but we don't have to the whole time. Prayer can also be simply being aware of His presence around you. Learning to perceive that presence on an ongoing basis will be the richest, most life-changing thing you can ever do. Let's get started right now -

Look at the room around you – right now. Stop looking at your computer and look around the room. Everything you see around you was made from materials that once did not exist. They were created by God in Genesis 1. That’s not just some story off in another world. The chair you’re sitting in was made out of materials that were created in Genesis 1, by the very God who made you as well.

Then go outside. Walk around a few minutes and look at the world around you. It was all made by Him for you to live in. And He’s here in the room with you right now as you are reading this, plus He’s also waiting for you outside as you walk around and admire His creation.

Notice all the innumerable details that went into it – the colors He assigned to the sky and the ground, the fact that the sun is at precisely the correct distance to keep the earth at just the right temperature to sustain life on this planet, the flowers, the trees, the clouds, all those things were a product of His imagination. And He created them for one purpose and one purpose only – for you to enjoy it and to have a home. Without us, the earth is useless and a waste of time.

When you come back inside after your walk, He’s inside waiting for you as well. He’ll be looking over your shoulder as you’re reading your Bible, and His Spirit in you will cause your mind to be able to understand it, even though our flesh’s nature is to reject anything and everything that has to do with the Bible. If even one word of the Bible makes sense to you, that’s only because the Spirit is in you and making it possible for your mind to understand it. That’s Him talking to you. It’s His personal message for you, right now, today.

In the midst of all this, if you feel like expressing anything to Him, go ahead. He already knows exactly what's in your mind and heart, so there's no need to make it sound fancy. Just spill it. He would much rather have somebody praying with Him in sincerity and stammering all over the place than somebody whose prayer sounds more polished than a new pair of leather boots but doesn't really mean it.

I could go on and on and on a lot more about this, and I would love to before we are done, but I fear I’ve given you a 72-ounce steak when you might have been simply looking for a hamburger. However, this is only Lesson # 1.

Anyway, consider what I’ve said here very seriously. I know a lot of people would think what I’ve said here is very strange or just plain dorky, but I’m deadly serious about it.

By the way, just on a side note, I don’t have my prayer time on my knees inside with my eyes closed. I walk outside (weather permitting, of course) at nighttime and have my daily prayer time standing up, looking at the stars and reveling in the creation around me, along with God’s presence around me, in me, and next to me, in the middle of the demonstration of His love for us that the creation represents. Often times when I feel the need, I'll kneel before Him, but it's not something that is required before you can enter His presence. And nothing in the entire Bible ever requires us to keep our eyes closed as we pray. After all, Solomon prayed the grandest prayer in the entire Bible with his eyes open before the whole nation of Israel and looking at the sky. (I Kings 8:22-61)

Let me know if this helps, and if you want to talk about it more, I would love to.

Luke

Kelly12345
Oct 13th 2008, 05:49 PM
it does help.
I understand.

Godismyteacher
Oct 27th 2008, 05:15 AM
I've felt the same way since returning to God and it makes me very sad too. Actually though, this thread has made me feel better, because maybe the reason why I feel so alone is because God is doing something I don't know about. I will just have to trust Him and have faith that He knows what He's doing.

JesusMySavior
Oct 29th 2008, 09:35 PM
Hey everyone.

Jesus, the Lamb of God knows exactly what you're going through.

He was known as "A Man of sorrows and acquainted with grief" (Isa. 53:3). Just read through Isaiah 53 and see for yourself that the King of the universe who died for our sins was very much a lonely man.

I think there's a reason people are distancing themselves for you and perhaps God is doing this so that He can show you where true happiness is.

I pray God's peace and fulfillment and tender mercy and love on you today and the following days. I love you and God does too. God bless you, friend. :hug:

JesusMySavior
Oct 29th 2008, 09:38 PM
what does that mean?

I think forerunner means that it's very impressive that you would go on your own to church. And I agree. Praise God for this :)

SilentThinker
Nov 23rd 2008, 12:16 PM
Hi,Kelly12345.

I also met the same situation as you for many years.

Prayer and reading the word of God helps me a lot especially in times of loneliness.

There was many period of loneliness that I find comfort in God by praying and reading His Word.(Verses like I will never leave you or forsake you.)

I remembered that I asked God for friends and that request was granted.I believed that God will grant you the request as he granted mine.(Ask for the right friends too.)

HappyChristian
Nov 24th 2008, 04:37 AM
it does help.
I understand.
Hi Kelly , I feel your pain and I know how you feel. My parents passed away close to one another through illneses and all the friends just disappeared . I also so do everything all alone. Yes I know how sad it can get during holidays . But I pray alot. I know GOD is there always helping us all. GOD does hear us and loves us . It is funny and sad as I reach out to friends and they have no time for me. I know it is hard, but pray always and keep your heart close to our LORD and he will lead you. I am here as well as all the Christians so we are your friends. GOD BLESS YOU , your brother in Christ, John