PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Something that has been puzzling me.

Justin121121
Oct 12th 2008, 05:16 PM
Hello all, and happy Sunday.
My name is Justin, and my apologies if I'm in the wrong section, but I'm new here.
To start off, I'm 16 years old and a junior in high school.
For the past week or so I've been having the deepest thoughts I've ever had in my life. Thoughts such as... What am i doing here? Why do i have life? If my parents sperm and egg where at different times would i still exist? Why are animals animals? There is a lot of religions, Which one is right? Do The people who don't follow the same religion burn, or... Do we all worship the same God? Just different people lead us to him? What about atheists? What do they think happens when they die? Why did God Choose to give me life? Why are WE here, are we all a bunch of sinners? and then as i start thinking deeper... I wonder what happens when we die? How do we know we're dead? Do we really spend an eternity in heaven? An eternity is a LONG time to spend somewhere. Wouldn't we eventually get bored spending an eternity in Heaven? (I like to hope I'm going there!) These questions, are so much to me that when i think of them my heart starts to race and i am overwhelmed by a very uncomfortable feeling, like i am going to vanish away any second. Followed by a Panic attack. I honestly just need somebody to clear these questions up for me. Please and thank you!
P.S. I am sorry for all of the confusion. I am just a very confused young adult right now and i need to see the light now more than ever!

oh and another thing... About the panic attacks and strange feeling after thinking these thoughts... Is that just God telling me I'm not ready to know all of this?

Literalist-Luke
Oct 12th 2008, 08:32 PM
OK, this might be a little "out there", but this is my take on life in general:

The angels were created first. At some point in the past, some of them (probably about 1/3 of them, based on Revelation 12) rebelled, under the leadership of "Lucifer", who we also call Satan (which is Hebrew for "adversary".)

God pronounced judgment on the rebellious angels and my guess is that they argued that He was being unfair in rendering an eternal judgment. So He decided to show them just how deserving they are of eternal punishment, so He created us for His "demonstration".

You see, Satan and the demons (fallen angels), had/have direct access to the Throne of God in Heaven. God decided to demonstrate for them that He could create a species that would NOT have direct access to the Throne, such as they had, and that in spite of that limitation, large numbers of the new species would still choose for Him IN SPITE of the lack of visible proof and IN SPITE of there being problems in the world.

So He made us "a little lower than angels" in the creational hierarchy.

He then turned Satan loose on us (Adam and Eve) and allowed Satan to incite them to rebellion, which of course leades to the story we all know in the Bible.

God demonstrated His mercy by dying for us "while we were yet sinners", disproving Satan's (probable) claim of God being "unmerciful". In addition, those of us who choose for God and wind up being faithful are further proof to the demons that they are without excuse. They had direct access to the Throne, for cryin' out loud, and yet they rebelled! We, the body of believers, however, have only the creation around us along with the Bible as His revelation of Himself to us, humankind. The fact that many of us will still respond with faith in God in spite of these limitations is only further proof that the demons did not "choose wisely". By virtue of our faithfulness in light of their rebellion even though they have seen the face of God and we have not, that is why we will "judge angels", as Paul said.

So the purpose of our life is two-fold:

1. To give us opportunity to demonstrate faithfulness to God, even in spite of bad things happening in this life.

2. Because if there was no suffering in the world, we would be ignorant of our need for salvation.

God created us originally to be immortal, so death itself is not even natural. Then he gave dominion of this creation to Adam, who subsequently handed the title deed over to Satan when he and Eve ate the forbidden fruit. God could intervene on people's behalf to alleviated suffering, but the record in the Bible demonstrates that when God intervenes in such a way, it does not increase faith, but rather actually (and ironically) decreases it. Consider for instance the Israelites in the wilderness under Moses. They had just seen one demonstration of power after another, both in Egypt and after they fled Egypt. Surely if there was ever a people who should have NO problem with their faith it would be the newly freed Hebrew slaves. So what did they do immediately after God appeared to them personally on the day He first issued the Ten Commandments? They built an idol, the infamous Golden Calf.

So God intervening in this world does not increase faith. Therefore, He has chosen to sit it out, for the most part. Now, He does intervene on some occasions, such as when He burst in on history through the Incarnation, which was Jesus. But for the most part, He is allowing the results of our actions (and Adam's) to play out. There will come a point in the future when those results will imminently threaten the extinction of the whole species, and that is when the 2nd Coming will occur. But until then He is being like a parent who allows a child to realize the consequences of their own actions, however much the parent might wish to jump in and go to the kid's rescue.

Hope this helps. :)

Revinius
Oct 13th 2008, 04:22 AM
the above is a nice story, but i hardly think we are just a 'demonstration' to angels. God is a relational God and He created for relationship.

*Hope*
Oct 14th 2008, 12:58 AM
It is normal to have questions like that. I'd suggest you go buy this book called "Smart Faith" by JP Moreland and Mark Matlock, it will answer some of your questions and at least get you pointed in the right direction for pursuing the other answers you need.

CoffeeCat
Oct 14th 2008, 02:26 AM
Welcome, Justin. Thanks for all your questions! They're good ones!

If I can start off with a question for you.... who is Christ, according to your understanding? What does being a Christian mean to you? :)

Thanks! I have more to say, but just want to start there.

unkerns
Oct 14th 2008, 11:39 PM
tell you what bro, I would normally answer all those questions, but instead I want you to do what I did. Find your answer, here are some books to get you started: "A Case for faith", "Pagen Christianity", "Velvet Elvis", and "Revolution in world missions". Also go online and do research too check out some Youtube videos like: A case for Christ, A case for a creator, Nooma, Etc.

Ekeak
Nov 24th 2008, 03:43 AM
So sad, so many young men today such as you and me struggling to defeat satan. Satan defines "worldly" he is "worldly" and he created "worldly". I still can't get over it somedays, but God be with us. Especially the English-speaking ones (considering how full we are every night). But the fact is, believe it or not, Jesus Loves You. He died for you, and was risen from the dead. If you give up past conformities (such as those that I could not dream of giving up, such as those that the children at my high school couldn't even begin to think they could "live without") then he will save you.

Revinius
Nov 24th 2008, 04:11 AM
He will save you regardless of your station in life, just ask Him in.

GitRDunn
Nov 24th 2008, 04:49 AM
Hello all, and happy Sunday.
My name is Justin, and my apologies if I'm in the wrong section, but I'm new here.
To start off, I'm 16 years old and a junior in high school.
For the past week or so I've been having the deepest thoughts I've ever had in my life. Thoughts such as... What am i doing here? Why do i have life? If my parents sperm and egg where at different times would i still exist? Why are animals animals? There is a lot of religions, Which one is right? Do The people who don't follow the same religion burn, or... Do we all worship the same God? Just different people lead us to him? What about atheists? What do they think happens when they die? Why did God Choose to give me life? Why are WE here, are we all a bunch of sinners? and then as i start thinking deeper... I wonder what happens when we die? How do we know we're dead? Do we really spend an eternity in heaven? An eternity is a LONG time to spend somewhere. Wouldn't we eventually get bored spending an eternity in Heaven? (I like to hope I'm going there!) These questions, are so much to me that when i think of them my heart starts to race and i am overwhelmed by a very uncomfortable feeling, like i am going to vanish away any second. Followed by a Panic attack. I honestly just need somebody to clear these questions up for me. Please and thank you!
P.S. I am sorry for all of the confusion. I am just a very confused young adult right now and i need to see the light now more than ever!

oh and another thing... About the panic attacks and strange feeling after thinking these thoughts... Is that just God telling me I'm not ready to know all of this?
I don't believe it is God telling you anything, it is simply a natural reaction when you are trying to process too much at once. I have experienced an overwhelming feeling sometimes as well when I think about eternity, but I don't believe it is anything to worry about, it is simply a limitation humans have. We as humans have finite minds and in our lives everything seems to have an end, no matter how far away. The sun will eventually burn out. The Earth will end when Jesus returns. Our lives on Earth will end, etc., etc. Trying to grasp the idea of eternity is hard and our earthly minds start to insert concepts that we have like, "won't we get bored, because I've never heard of anything that could go on forever and not get boring." Once we go to Heaven, though, we will receive our Heavenly bodies and with this will come a much greater ability to understand things and also, I don't think we will be able to get bored in Heaven. It is hard to understand now, but just as everything having an end is common on Earth, in Heaven everything being for eternity will be the norm and won't seem as strange. Don't worry yourself about how you will react to eternity, it will all be ok. All you need to concentrate on is making sure you end up where you want to be for eternity and that is Heaven.

findingmyfaith
Nov 27th 2008, 08:20 PM
As you are a teenager and becoming an adult, its perfectly natural to suddenly get a burst of questions as we learn to question our faith and seek more understanding. It is not a bad thing and will deepend your faith and make it stronger when you discover the truth. Take it slowly, trust in God that he will show you the answers you are looking for. There is something called An "alpha course" which I found really helpful. See if a church near you is running one, it's open to anyone and is a change to really study the christian faith and seek answers to any questions you have.

all the best xox

Reedan
Nov 28th 2008, 04:37 PM
Ask God for wisdom in the Name Of Jesus Christ, Talk to God about it, Just open up to God:)

God Bless:)