PDA

View Full Version : A Portrait of God

ConqueredbyLove
Oct 14th 2008, 02:41 AM
A Portrait of God

~The Lord is my Shepherd; I shall not want~

Sometimes it is hard for us to grasp the radiance of God. Often we are scarred by earthly fathers who were absent, weak, or abusive, leaving us with a cloudy image of what our Heavenly Father is like. Sometimes we are bitter from religions, pastors, priests, etc., who put the fear of God on us therefore we vision our God as cold, forceful and impersonal.

Often we question “who is God?” Is He really a loving God? After all, He has allowed these bad things to happen to me. Does He really care about me?

King David, of the Bible gives us one comforting answer in Psalm 23:1. ~The Lord is my Shepherd!~ Yahweh is my Shepherd!

The term “Yahweh”, sometimes shortened to “Yah” in the Old Testament and comes from a form of the Hebrew verb “to be”, suggesting that God is a self-sufficient God. Shepherd is a term for the One in control. Does that sound a little frightening? It is only as we get to know God’s beautiful character that we can rest and be joyful that He is the One in control.

The Shepherd is the Watcher and Caretaker of His sheep. The Shepherd frequently has to rescue His sheep from harm, even though the sheep may not even realize that they are in harm’s way.

A good Shepherd never leaves His sheep alone. His sheep would be lost without the shepherd. The Shepherd accepts the sheep the way they are unconditionally; the confused, selfish, sickly, even the black sheep, are all loved by the Shepherd.

The Shepherd knows His sheep intimately and pursues them in love. The Shepherd is one who is tender, yet forceful to fight for His sheep to protect them. The Shepherd provides security, and is ever present and watchful.

In the Bible, in John 10: 11-15 Jesus tells us that He is the good Shepherd who came to lay down His life for His sheep.

We can rest assured that we are never abandoned! Jesus will never leave us for any reason.

Do you have a grief of pain today in your heart? Come to the Shepherd who made the heart. He says to you today ~Come to me, all of you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest~.

We can find rest and renewal with the Shepherd today. Spend time alone today with your Shepherd. God is only as far away as our hearts, but He will never intrude. Go to the Shepherd in prayer for solitude is a healing place to repair that damage done to your heart. You can hear the Shepherd’s voice in God’s Word, the Bible. He is there waiting to comfort you.

Oh what a beautiful portrait of Jesus, the Shepherd God!

TBONE61
Oct 14th 2008, 02:32 PM
Amen and thanks for posting.

IMINXTC
Oct 16th 2008, 11:03 AM
This is tremendous truth, which our Lord demonstrates to me and has demonstrated to me over and over again.

"He healeth the broken in heart, and bindeth up their wounds." Ps 147:3

Your post is like a personal confirmation and a reminder of this.

ConqueredbyLove
Oct 16th 2008, 01:14 PM
This is tremendous truth, which our Lord demonstrates to me and has demonstrated to me over and over again.

"He healeth the broken in heart, and bindeth up their wounds." Ps 147:3

Your post is like a personal confirmation and a reminder of this.

Oh how lovely and a beautiful way to start today.

Thank you for your precious post which means so much to me :hug: :hug: :hug: