PDA

View Full Version : The new ESV Study Bible

maasive10
Oct 14th 2008, 03:11 PM
I have just looked into the new ESV Study Bible and it looks to be very comprehensive - do any of you have this bible yet? I know it is quite new but I would like to hear other thoughts on it. You can find the link for it here, there are even sample pages you can look at and a video link with even more info.
http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=502415&event=HPF1

thepenitent
Oct 14th 2008, 08:56 PM
I just go it today and it is absolutely awesome. Best study Bible I've ever seen and I've seen and reviewed most of them. Get it - you won't be disappointed.

JSobo
Oct 14th 2008, 10:55 PM
I have a regular ESV Bible, I like the way it reads in general but there is one thing that kind of bothers me - when someone is referring to JESUS as He the ESV does not capitalize He, for example:
Matthew 4:2 And after fasting forty days and forty nights, he was hungry.

Is it the same in the Study version?

I know this is a personal preference, grammatically I'm sure it is correct not capitalized.

Thanks
Jeff

scourge39
Oct 14th 2008, 11:00 PM
I have a regular ESV Bible, I like the way it reads in general but there is one thing that kind of bothers me - when someone is referring to JESUS as He the ESV does not capitalize He, for example:

I know this is a personal preference, grammatically I'm sure it is correct not capitalized.

Thanks
Jeff

As far as I know, only the KJV & NASB capitalize Divine pronouns.

TrustingFollower
Oct 14th 2008, 11:24 PM
Does anyone know who accurate the translation is? It looks pretty cool, but is it a paraphrased version or a version that is a translation of a translation type thing. How does it stand up to the other translations like KJV or NSAB.

maasive10
Oct 15th 2008, 01:51 AM
Does anyone know who accurate the translation is? It looks pretty cool, but is it a paraphrased version or a version that is a translation of a translation type thing. How does it stand up to the other translations like KJV or NSAB.

I understand it to be a "literal" translation - I took the following from the ESV website:

Translation Philosophy

The ESV is an “essentially literal” translation that seeks as far as possible to capture the precise wording of the original text and the personal style of each Bible writer. As such, its emphasis is on “word-for-word” correspondence, at the same time taking into account differences of grammar, syntax, and idiom between current literary English and the original languages. Thus it seeks to be transparent to the original text, letting the reader see as directly as possible the structure and meaning of the original.
In contrast to the ESV, some Bible versions (http://www.esv.org/about/other.translations) have followed a “thought-for-thought” rather than “word-for-word” translation philosophy, emphasizing “dynamic equivalence” rather than the “essentially literal” meaning of the original. A “thought-for-thought” translation is of necessity more inclined to reflect the interpretive opinions of the translator and the influences of contemporary culture.
Every translation is at many points a trade-off between literal precision and readability, between “formal equivalence” in expression and “functional equivalence” in communication, and the ESV is no exception. Within this framework we have sought to be “as literal as possible” while maintaining clarity of expression and literary excellence.
Therefore, to the extent that plain English permits and the meaning in each case allows, we have sought to use the same English word for important recurring words in the original; and, as far as grammar and syntax allow, we have rendered Old Testament passages cited in the New in ways that show their correspondence. Thus in each of these areas, as well as throughout the Bible as a whole, we have sought to capture the echoes and overtones of meaning that are so abundantly present in the original texts.
As an essentially literal translation, then, the ESV seeks to carry over every possible nuance of meaning in the original words of Scripture into our own language. As such, it is ideally suited for in-depth study of the Bible. Indeed, with its emphasis on literary excellence, the ESV is equally suited for public reading and preaching, for private reading and reflection, for both academic and devotional study, and for Scripture memorization.

TrustingFollower
Oct 15th 2008, 02:12 AM
From what I see so far it looks like one that will be added to my library in the future, as funds are available of course.

larry2
Oct 15th 2008, 05:21 AM
Is it another copyrighted version to make money off the word of God? Looks as more of an advertisement to me - Sorry

scourge39
Oct 15th 2008, 05:33 AM
From what I see so far it looks like one that will be added to my library in the future, as funds are available of course.

I've been reading the ESV translation since '03 and love it. I studied under some of the translators as well as some of the scholars who contributed notes to the study Bible. It's a literal translation, but it reads more smoothly than the NASB. It's great for preaching too, for which using the NASB can be challenging. I'll be getting the ESV Study Bible soon. The ESV text is printed in a single column (like the original NASB Inductive Study Bible), all the charts and maps are full-color, and the binding is sewn.

If the ESV Study Bible were merely another money-making scheme, Crossway would never have sewn the binding. That's done to ensure longevity and durability as well as to enable the Bible to lay flat when opened and not close prematurely. They're not creating 'disposable' Bibles with glued binding like some other publishers. They'll ultimately sell fewer copies and lose money in the long-term.

JSobo
Oct 15th 2008, 07:52 AM

NKJV too

Do you know why all the other versions not capitalize the Divine pronouns?

daughter
Oct 15th 2008, 08:03 AM
So does Holman's.

Actually, although I prefer to capitalise the Divine pronouns, I can see why, from a translation point of view, someone may prefer not to. There are passages in the Old Testament where if you capitalise the pronoun you contract the meaning... for example, the "he" referred to may be a temporal king like David, while at the same time referring to the true Messianic King. It could be that the translators want to retain the fluidity between layers of meaning, hence they consistently don't capitalise.

I like the way the ESV reads as well, and I'm hoping to get hold of a copy of this study bible, if and when I can ever afford it.

Gospel-Witness
Oct 16th 2008, 03:55 PM
One of the things that I like about the ESV is that compared to the NASB, where many of the literal word meanings are often found in the footnotes and center references, the ESV places the actual meaning in the text of the passage. It makes it so much easier to read, and while no translation is without some criticism the ESV is very good and I believe to be one of the better versions available. I use the large print version almost exclusively, but perhaps in time I will get the study bible version.

Biastai
Oct 16th 2008, 08:00 PM
Thank you for this information!
I was going to try to put together a "Bible reference" binder with maps, charts, etc, etc. I'll definitely take a look at a copy of this Bible before starting that type of task.

Partaker of Christ
Oct 16th 2008, 08:10 PM
If anyone has e-sword, there is an ESV version of the bible for free!

9Marksfan
Oct 16th 2008, 10:56 PM
And on bible gateway!

It is not only a very accurate and readable translation, but this Study Bible is quite possibly the best that has ever been put together in terms of comprehensiveness and helpfulness in study and preaching.

Great to see such a positive thread on a "new" bible! ;)

Chimon
Oct 17th 2008, 01:51 AM

The reason this is done is because there are sometimes when it is debatable whether or not a pronoun refers to God or not. In order to avoid putting the theological bias of the translator into the text, the choice was made to not capitalize any pronouns.

The same argument is used against red lettering. Greek has no quotation marks, and sometimes it is not clear if Jesus is speak, or the author is writing something after Jesus has spoken to elaborate on what he said.

John 3:16-21 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=john%203:16-21;&version=47;) is one passage that many scholars think was written by John, and not spoken by Jesus.

Bear in mind the thing about red lettering does not affect doctrine, because we believe ALL of the Scripture is the divinely inspired words of the Holy Spirit expressed through a human author. The capitalization of pronouns can occasionally affect minor doctrines.

apothanein kerdos
Oct 17th 2008, 01:54 AM
Well if it's not the King James....

I don't have it yet, but I do want it. I have a regular ESV and from what I can tell it's the most accurate English translation I've come across.

JSobo
Oct 17th 2008, 07:49 AM
The reason this is done is because there are sometimes when it is debatable whether or not a pronoun refers to God or not. In order to avoid putting the theological bias of the translator into the text, the choice was made to not capitalize any pronouns.

The same argument is used against red lettering. Greek has no quotation marks, and sometimes it is not clear if Jesus is speak, or the author is writing something after Jesus has spoken to elaborate on what he said.

John 3:16-21 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=john%203:16-21;&version=47;) is one passage that many scholars think was written by John, and not spoken by Jesus.

Bear in mind the thing about red lettering does not affect doctrine, because we believe ALL of the Scripture is the divinely inspired words of the Holy Spirit expressed through a human author. The capitalization of pronouns can occasionally affect minor doctrines.

Interesting - Thanks for the reply!

The ESV Study Bible does look good.

Levin
Oct 17th 2008, 08:53 AM
All I'm going to say:

If you have J.I. Packer, Wayne Grudem, and Thomas Schreiner on the same project then I say yes!

Quickened
Oct 17th 2008, 05:35 PM
I am looking forward for this for the articles and insight provided along with the main text. I enjoy the ESV as a translation for everyday reading.