PDA

View Full Version : Discussion Christian Colleges

kbm0329
Oct 15th 2008, 12:05 AM
This is for everyone looking for a great Christian college experience. Where are you thinking about going?

For those of you who have had or are having a great Christian college experience - where did/do you go? What stood/stands out about the school?

It would be great to collaborate and help those out there looking to be educated about a particular school from those who have already attended.

kbm0329
Oct 15th 2008, 12:09 AM
Personally, I attended Union University in Jackson, TN. It is affiliated with the Southern Baptist Convention. website: http://www.uu.edu

I just want to say how much of a blessing this place was. Besides the fact I met my wife there ;), I grew much more mature in the Lord and learned a lot about plain life in the process. They have a plethora of awesome student groups to get involved in, and most of the professors were amazing. I went to a state school for two years before going there, and it was almost complete night and day! Not to mention they are also regarded by U.S. News (http://www.uu.edu/news/newsreleases/release.cfm?ID=1377) as one of the top "Up-and-Coming Schools" in the United States.

unkerns
Oct 16th 2008, 02:44 AM
My wife and I have both been to college she went to a Christian University, she experienced many lukewarm christians, classes that she couldve got at a regular college, and now we have lots of debt to pay. It may be fun while your in college, but once your out it does you no good. My advice save first and pay as you go .

Buzzword
Oct 16th 2008, 09:48 PM
My wife and I have both been to college she went to a Christian University, she experienced many lukewarm christians, classes that she couldve got at a regular college, and now we have lots of debt to pay. It may be fun while your in college, but once your out it does you no good. My advice save first and pay as you go .

Amen!

I attended a Christian school for three years, and while many of the required theology classes did have an impact on the development of my faith, too much of the student body were what my dad calls "God's grandkids," ie kids raised in the church by Christian parents, who had never taken the time to have a personal relationship with Christ.

Also, way too many students had had "abstinence only" ground into their heads, that they get married JUST FOR SEX, just so they can have sex without anyone putting them on a guilt trip....helping raising the divorce rate in the process.

Also, it was horrendously expensive ($13,000 per semester if you're taking 12 hours).

Chimon
Oct 17th 2008, 01:26 AM
Among those I visited, Grace in Winona Lake, IN, and Wheaton, in Wheaton IL seemed spiritually sound. I can personally say that Olivet Nazerene in Bourbenouis, IL is very lukewarm, and not spiritually healthy.

Hope College in Holland, MI worried me, because the don't require students or profs to be Christians, which seems to defeat the idea of Christian education. Why not just be a secular school.

Calvin College disturbs me greatly because they accept a lot of students who aren't really Christians, but claim they are in order to get free scholarships. Definately a lot of idle brothers and wolves in sheep's clothing, but that's what happens when you accept every single person who finishes the application process... (98% of those who start the process.) They also told me that Latin is a Biblical language, which is sort of (read: completely) not true.

I have heard good things about Trinity International University in Deerfield, IL, and Judson University in Elgin, IL, and I have had pastors from these schools, but I personally haven't them.

I know people who transferred to my college from Southeastern, Azusa Pacific, Evangel, Biola, Wheaton, and Bethel, and they have all given reports that they are Biblically sound and spiritually healthy. They are on the list of the top ten Christian Colleges that I posted below. I will vouch for its credibility.

Top Ten Christian Colleges (http://christianteens.about.com/od/schoolstuff/tp/tencolleges.htm)

kbm0329
Oct 22nd 2008, 01:05 PM
I know people who transferred to my college from Southeastern, Azusa Pacific, Evangel, Biola, Wheaton, and Bethel, and they have all given reports that they are Biblically sound and spiritually healthy. They are on the list of the top ten Christian Colleges that I posted below. I will vouch for its credibility.

Top Ten Christian Colleges (http://christianteens.about.com/od/schoolstuff/tp/tencolleges.htm)

Thanks for the input y'all. I think it is good for people to see that some Christian colleges aren't really what they claim to be. I noticed Chimon had something good to say about Southeaster. I have a sibling that went there briefly as well as a couple of good friends. I would consider them all solid in their faith, and they all had many good things to say about Southeastern. I also know that school is growing like crazy, and has a beautiful campus.

kbm0329
Oct 22nd 2008, 01:08 PM
Has anyone heard anything about Ouachita Baptist in Arkansas? Their website: http://www.obu.edu/

My youngest brother is looking at them for school. My wife says she has heard "good things" about them, and knows a number of missionaries who sent their children there. Anyways, just wondering. Thanks!

jlmccub2009
Oct 24th 2008, 05:02 AM
I'm just a senior in high school, but I know many people who have gone to Lincoln Christian College (Lincoln, Il). Many people in my church family have gone there, even one of the professors attends our church. They are all great people with strong faith. I've been to a few of their volleyball camps, but when I went to a campus visit day, it didn't seem right with me. Don't get me wrong, but it just wasn't the place for me, ya know?

One of my friends from school told me about Greenville College (Greenville, IL)...her aunt & uncle live in the area and her aunt works for the college. I visited their booth at a college fair and it certainly caught my attention. Earlier this year-on my birthday, actually-I went for a visit day with my mom...and completely fell in love with it! The chapel service, the campus, the professors, the students, everything was so filled with love! I knew within the first 30 minutes that I wanted to go there. I applied to Greenville and got accepted! I also visited a non-Christian school (Millikin University in Decatur) and was not impressed with it...and some of the things that my youth minister said about his freshman year there made me glad I didn't complete my application for there! (He ended up at LCC).

So by next fall I'll be a freshman at Greenville College, possibly working toward a vocal performance major with a music business minor (still not 100% sure) and I hope I'll enjoy it even more than I did on the visit day!