PDA

View Full Version : Study Bibles/ Mini Bibles

poochie
Oct 15th 2008, 10:11 AM
The new ESV Study Bible came out and I am interested in hearing your thoughts. But besides that how does it compare to the other ESV Study Bibles or even the other study Bibles?

I have the Reformation ESV Study Bible and am not too impressed. The Zondervan NIV Study Bible is much better all around. How does the Scoffield, Ryrie and others compare?

Also among the mini Bibles. I saw a Scoffield Mini KJV Study Bible. It looked nice but not sure of the quality of work in such a small Bible. This one would not fit in yoru pocket, but was easy to lug around.

What is the best mini Bible that you have seen? I have the NIV mini Bible and its the best I have seen because it has book intro's, cross refs, section headers, a few tables, charts and maps,etc.. I also have a KJV and ESV Mini Bible but they do not have nearly as much.

Thanks..

scourge39
Oct 15th 2008, 02:12 PM
The new ESV Study Bible came out and I am interested in hearing your thoughts. But besides that how does it compare to the other ESV Study Bibles or even the other study Bibles?

I have the Reformation ESV Study Bible and am not too impressed. The Zondervan NIV Study Bible is much better all around. How does the Scoffield, Ryrie and others compare?

Also among the mini Bibles. I saw a Scoffield Mini KJV Study Bible. It looked nice but not sure of the quality of work in such a small Bible. This one would not fit in yoru pocket, but was easy to lug around.

What is the best mini Bible that you have seen? I have the NIV mini Bible and its the best I have seen because it has book intro's, cross refs, section headers, a few tables, charts and maps,etc.. I also have a KJV and ESV Mini Bible but they do not have nearly as much.

Thanks..

The maps & charts are full color, the study notes are more comprehensive, the ESV text is presented in a single column instead of 2, which is great for study, above all, the binding is sewn so the pages won't fall out and it will last longer.

Literalist-Luke
Oct 15th 2008, 03:04 PM
My favorite Bible is the TNIV Study Bible. The TNIV ("Today's New International Version") is simply the latest revision of the NIV. The TNIV Study Bible has hundreds of updates and additions in the study notes from the NIV Study Bible.

I'm not really familiar with mini Bibles, so can't help there, sorry. :)

poochie
Oct 15th 2008, 04:34 PM
The maps & charts are full color, the study notes are more comprehensive, the ESV text is presented in a single column instead of 2, which is great for study, above all, the binding is sewn so the pages won't fall out and it will last longer.

I've used my NIV study Bible for 3 years (heavily) and it has yet to fall out.

poochie
Oct 15th 2008, 04:37 PM
My favorite Bible is the TNIV Study Bible. The TNIV ("Today's New International Version") is simply the latest revision of the NIV. The TNIV Study Bible has hundreds of updates and additions in the study notes from the NIV Study Bible.

I'm not really familiar with mini Bibles, so can't help there, sorry. :)

I strongly reject the TNIV which is not an update to the NIV, but a new translation that replaces male and mascalune prononouns with neutral free language. (Ie.. Sons of God (NIV), children of God (TNIV).

Read this article comparing the TNIV and the NIV to the original languages.

Written by Scholar Wayne Grudem whom may have ciontributed to this new ESV Study Bible.

The TNIV vs. the NIV (http://www.cerm.info/bible_studies/Exegetical/TNIV.htm)

Literalist-Luke
Oct 15th 2008, 04:59 PM
I strongly reject the TNIV which is not an update to the NIV, but a new translation that replaces male and mascalune prononouns with neutral free language. (Ie.. Sons of God (NIV), children of God (TNIV).

Read this article comparing the TNIV and the NIV to the original languages.

Written by Scholar Wayne Grudem whom may have ciontributed to this new ESV Study Bible.

The TNIV vs. the NIV (http://www.cerm.info/bible_studies/Exegetical/TNIV.htm)The problem with that article is that the writer is assuming the NIV is the one that got it right, when in fact, the meaning behind the original languages is rendered more accurately by the TNIV.

The TNIV has not gone gender "neutral". Rather, it has gone gender accurate. The only changes in the TNIV text regarding gender are places where the NIV rendered something in the masculine due to "tradition" (think "KJV"), but where the original language writer's intent was not directed at a specific gender. God is still rendered exclusively as a "he" throughout the TNIV. The TNIV is a more accurate, better-researched version than the NIV.

IBWatching
Oct 15th 2008, 05:18 PM

Thanks..

I assume you are talking about Crossway's new version. Don't know it. The ESV comes in Scofield also. It's called Scofield Study Bible III (I have one). Most people generally pick study Bibles that closest match their theology. If you only need general theology, then the Zondervan Study Bibles or Thompson Chain Reference Study Bibles are good. IMO, the Scofield study Bibles still have the best cross-reference system around.

Having said that, my BIL had a Ryrie study Bible even though he belonged to the Church of Christ. Because that church does not hold to Ryrie's pre-millennial theology, I asked him why he liked it. He said the book introductions and charts were hard to beat. To each his own.

I gave away my last mini-Bible a few years back. You either end up with so small print that you can't read it. Or the Bible ends up 2 inches thick because of content. Not practical for me. But a gal I know has had an NIV mini-Bible with a snap closing flap for almost 20 years now. Again, to each his own.

poochie
Oct 15th 2008, 10:02 PM
Cite your credentials please. Are you as scholarly as Grudem who wrote an entire systematic theology volume.

The problem with that article is that the writer is assuming the NIV is the one that got it right, when in fact, the meaning behind the original languages is rendered more accurately by the TNIV.

The TNIV has not gone gender "neutral". Rather, it has gone gender accurate. The only changes in the TNIV text regarding gender are places where the NIV rendered something in the masculine due to "tradition" (think "KJV"), but where the original language writer's intent was not directed at a specific gender. God is still rendered exclusively as a "he" throughout the TNIV. The TNIV is a more accurate, better-researched version than the NIV.

Literalist-Luke
Oct 16th 2008, 02:54 AM
Cite your credentials please. Are you as scholarly as Grudem who wrote an entire systematic theology volume.Here is an official TNIV website article (http://www.tniv.info/light/genderaccurate.php) from which I took my information, written by Dr. Mark L. Strauss, who holds a Doctorate of Divinity from the University of Aberdeen and is Associate Professor of New Testament at Bethel Seminary in San Diego, California.

My heart's Desire
Oct 16th 2008, 05:08 AM
I have a KJ Large Print compact bible by Holman that has maps, concordance, how to read bible through, a daily bible reading plan, favorite reading from the bible, harmonies of the Gospels at the back. Also has end of verse cross references and marks Messianic prophecy with stars and their fulfillment in the text. The print is pretty easy on the eyes. I don't use KJ much as I like my NASB, but this little Bible is pretty good as far as small goes. It is bonded leather. Not sure of the size but could fit in a coat jacket pocket.