PDA

View Full Version : Revelatory Gifts?

jessiejane
Oct 15th 2008, 10:03 PM
I have just been introduced to the term revelatory gifts. I have been collecting information on the subject but just cant get a good grip on what this entails. Does anyone have any insight on this subject? The information I have collected is very vague. Can someone please elaborate for the simple minded? How does administering dreams work?

Richard H
Oct 15th 2008, 10:29 PM
I have just been introduced to the term revelatory gifts. I have been collecting information on the subject but just cant get a good grip on what this entails. Does anyone have any insight on this subject? The information I have collected is very vague. Can someone please elaborate for the simple minded? How does administering dreams work?Hi JessieJane, :)
Welcome to the board. :wave:

There's actually a forum for such topics, but you cannot see it until 30 days of membership, and 40 posts, and a good reputation.
(blue rep points)

Interesting topic.
Let's see what sort of response there is here.

Richard

Dani H
Oct 15th 2008, 11:07 PM
My personal experience with dreams have been just that ... personal.

I'm not one to claim prophetic foresight and have had no dreams that have "come true" in any way. Rather, for me, they have always been a nudge to prayer. I really do believe that God is able to use our subconscious ... mind (?) ... soul (?) ... to make things bubble up that we perhaps have forgotten about or choose to not want to remember due to hurtful past events, and that He has decided it is time to deal with. At least that has been my experience.

I really only ever pay attention to dreams if they're either a) very clearly imprinted on me long after I wake up, and that imprint just won't go away, or b) have a recurrent theme over a period of time (usually several months).

If that happens, I will take it to concerted prayer, and God will usually provide an explanation.

I've never had dreams related to anything outside my immediate sphere, so I can't comment on that.

Hope my small contribution helps you in some way. :)

jessiejane
Oct 16th 2008, 12:10 AM
I really appreciate the response. I was reading about this revelatory gifts class that a church was offering and was wondering exactly what they were. Does this pertain to prophesy? Or are they referring to the gifts of the Holy Spirit. Is that what they call "bearing fruit"?

Dani H
Oct 16th 2008, 12:43 AM
There is a difference of the "gifts of the Spirit" and the "fruit of the Spirit."

We are ALL called to bear fruit as we abide in the Vine, who is Jesus Christ. Those fruits are grown by God as we obey Him and seek Him and learn His ways. They will (or should) manifest themselves in our daily activities and interaction with others. That means as you grow in God, you ought to become kinder and more gentle, and more loving, and so forth, in the way you deal with people 24/7.

Gifts, on the other hand, are distributed to believers according to God's own will and purpose. They are designed to manifest, as God wills, according to specific situations to deal with specific things.

We are, however, exhorted by Paul in 1 Corinthians 13, to make sure that any gift is always seasoned with love, which is the way that we are to excercise our gifts. Because gifts will eventually no longer be needed, but love is something that will last for all eternity.

1 Corinthians 12 through 14 deals with the gifts in a very detailed way, and so I would suggest you begin your studies there.

Galatians deals with the fruits of the Spirit, specifically chapter 5.

I've only given you the "30,000 foot view" so to speak, because I'd rather point someone to Scripture and let them study things out for themselves, than present them with a pre-chewed meal.

Happy studying. :)

jessiejane
Oct 16th 2008, 02:14 PM
Thank you Dani I will study that today. It is seeming more and more clear to me now.

God Bless

chad
Oct 17th 2008, 05:49 AM
Hi JesseJane,

Revelatory Gifts?

The term is a bit vague and could mean alot of different things. Would it be possible for you to share a bit of the information you have so far, then we could get a better idea on how we could help in answering your question?

Without really knowing more, All I could really say is that in general gifts given by god relate to the gifts of the holy spirit.

Hope this helps.

Chad. :rolleyes:

Levin
Oct 17th 2008, 08:25 AM
I have just been introduced to the term revelatory gifts. I have been collecting information on the subject but just cant get a good grip on what this entails. Does anyone have any insight on this subject? The information I have collected is very vague. Can someone please elaborate for the simple minded? How does administering dreams work?

Are you referring to the role of the Holy Spirit in the illumination and interpretation of scripture? Or something else? Such as the administration and appearance of dreams and visions? Or how the Holy Spirit works through such visions/dreams? Or perhaps the gift of prophecy in the church age? Please espouse your question.

Love,
Levin

Chimon
Oct 17th 2008, 10:52 AM
In addition to the questions that have been asked, I would be curious as to where you have been collecting information on this topic, and what that information has said, if you don't mind me asking?

godsgirl
Oct 17th 2008, 11:34 AM
I would imagine "revelatory gifts" refer to what the Bible calls , the Word of Knowledge, and the Word of Wisdom"---this is knowledge that the Holy Spirit gives you concerning a certian person or subject that you would have no way of knowing without His pouring that knowledge into you--Word of Wisdom concerns the best way of applying the knowledge that the Lord gives you.

Dani H
Oct 17th 2008, 03:15 PM
I had addressed many of her questions here:

http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php?t=143359 (http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php?t=143359)

Feel free to add.

:)

Richard H
Oct 17th 2008, 03:40 PM
I had addressed many of her questions here:

http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php?t=143359 (http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php?t=143359)

Feel free to add.

:)
I'm glad you posted this link here, Dani.
Your post is well worth reading.

Richard

larry2
Oct 17th 2008, 04:18 PM
Our gifts are to be shared with the body of Christ and these revelatory gifts are those that reveal or make aware of something. I'm not familiar with the meaning of those using that term.

The gifts of revelation –

(a) a word of wisdom
(b) a word of knowledge
(c) discerning of spirits.

The vocal gifts -

(d) gifts are prophesy
(e) tongues
(f) interpretation of tongues

The gifts of power –

(g) gift of faith
(h) gifts of healing
(i) working of miracles

chad
Oct 17th 2008, 10:08 PM
I found this link quite useful. Hope this helps.

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gifts_of_the_holy_spirit

Chad. :rolleyes:

LookingUp
Oct 17th 2008, 11:27 PM
Our gifts are to be shared with the body of Christ and these revelatory gifts are those that reveal or make aware of something. I'm not familiar with the meaning of those using that term.I am not picking on you larry2 but I'm going to use your list to ask some questions.

The gifts of revelation –

(a) a word of wisdom
(b) a word of knowledge
(c) discerning of spirits.
Wisdom comes from living out what one learns (knowledge) in Scripture. One can discern misleading spirits more efficiently when one spends time in Scripture and prayer.

How are these special gifts given by the Lord?

The vocal gifts -

(d) gifts are prophesy
(e) tongues
(f) interpretation of tongues
I still have not met anyone in all my years who can speak another language they have not studied for years and I have not yet met anyone who can interpret another language they have not studied for years.

Prophecy... don't know anyone who can prophesy like they did in the 1st century church.

The gifts of power –

(g) gift of faith
(h) gifts of healing
(i) working of miracles
Faith is for all in the Body. God heals. I have never met anyone with the power to heal as was done in the 1st century church. People cast themselves in Paul's shadow and were healed. Don't see that now.

Miracles... none. God performs miracles, yes. But believers do not perform miracles as was done in the 1st century church.

Sorry to be such a bummer…just tryin’ to keep it real. I'm just listing what is true for me and for any believer I've ever met. I've met many and I ask a lot of questions. Been studying for 12 years.

Okay, hit me! :P