PDA

View Full Version : Concern about factual statements from the Holy Spirit

danield
Oct 16th 2008, 01:05 AM
I just wanted to start a thread about the Holy Spirit revealing to you things about major world events.
I feel certain that the Holy Spirit is alive and well on earth today. And I know the Holy Spirit guides each of us in our lives in many ways. But one thing that disturbs me is how some people make claims about what the Holy Spirit has revealed to them. Some of the claims make people scratch their heads, and then others are just down right lies and deception. We all need to remember that the Holy Spirit never lies nor does it sin in any way. It is part of our trinity that we all hold sacred in our hearts. And when we make claims on his behalf, then we are assuming our speech is from his authority. This is what happened in ages past when someone was deceitful in the presence of the Holy Spirit.

Acts 5:1-10 NLT Acts 5:1 But there was a certain man named Ananias who, with his wife, Sapphira, sold some property. 2 He brought part of the money to the apostles, claiming it was the full amount. With his wife's consent, he kept the rest. 3 Then Peter said, "Ananias, why have you let Satan fill your heart? You lied to the Holy Spirit, and you kept some of the money for yourself. 4 The property was yours to sell or not sell, as you wished. And after selling it, the money was also yours to give away. How could you do a thing like this? You weren't lying to us but to God!" 5 As soon as Ananias heard these words, he fell to the floor and died. Everyone who heard about it was terrified. 6 Then some young men got up, wrapped him in a sheet, and took him out and buried him. 7 About three hours later his wife came in, not knowing what had happened. 8 Peter asked her, "Was this the price you and your husband received for your land?" "Yes," she replied, "that was the price." 9 And Peter said, "How could the two of you even think of conspiring to test the Spirit of the Lord like this? The young men who buried your husband are just outside the door, and they will carry you out, too." 10 Instantly, she fell to the floor and died. When the young men came in and saw that she was dead, they carried her out and buried her beside her husband.

Remember Ananias and Sapphira were just telling half truths which is such a common occurrence in our world today. If we are not allowed to tell half truths in the presence on the Holy Spirit then how much of a greater punishment will we have at judgment when we represent the Holy Spirit with deceit. You see when someone reads what you have claimed then they think poorly of Christians when we have such deceit is in our midst. It will hurt our testimony to others about our faith. I am not saying that the Holy Spirit can not reveal something to your heart. Of course it can, and I am sure it often does. It is just that we should have enough self control to offer a wild revelation about something stamped with the authority of God when it is nothing more than deceit. If God is holy to us then we should give him all the reverence we possibly can. I can only suggest that we pray about matters before making statements with the authority of God stamped on it. I assure you that if God wants you to reveal something there will be no mistake about what his message is and who it is from!

God Bless.

jponb
Oct 16th 2008, 01:57 AM
Consider what God said in Jeremiah about the prophets of his day.

ch 23:21
21I have not sent these prophets, yet they ran: I have not spoken to them, yet they prophesied.

Roelof
Oct 16th 2008, 03:49 AM
Remember Ananias and Sapphira were just telling half truths which is such a common occurrence in our world today.

danield

Please explain, I did not pick up any half truths

danield
Oct 16th 2008, 10:21 AM
Acts 4:34-37 34 For there was not a needy person among them, for all who were owners of land or houses would sell them and bring the proceeds of the sales, 35 and lay them at the apostles' feet; and they would be distributed to each, as any had need. 36 And Joseph, a Levite of Cyprian birth, who was also called Barnabas by the apostles (which translated means, Son of Encouragement), 37 and who owned a tract of land, sold it and brought the money and laid it at the apostles' feet.
This was the passage before. Several people sold their land and brought the full price to the apostles and laid it at their feet to help with the poor. He brought part of the money to the apostles, claiming it was the full amount. The Truth part was that he told the Holy Spirit was that he sold the property. The deceitful part was that he only gave half the money. I believe this is where the term half truth originated from.

Acts 5:4 4 "While it remained unsold, did it not remain your own? And after it was sold, was it not under your control?
I also want to point out this passage where it plainly shows that Ananias could have just told everyone that he was donating half the money and it would have been alright. I am sure he would have been well thought of for giving something to the poor. In any event, I think we should be forthcoming especially when we represent matters before God.

tundra
Oct 16th 2008, 12:02 PM
Danield,

There is defintely a problem with publicly revealing things that the Holy Spirit reveals to us at times. That is, unless what we have heard explicitly lines up with scripture, or that God has explicitly commanded us to share with others. In the latter case Christians must confirm that the Lord truly spoke to them before sharing publicly. When He revealed future events to our brothers in the Bible (like Daniel for example), many times the Lord would say 'seal up the vision' until the appointed time. Other times people will think they heard the Holy Spirit speak, but it really wasn't Him. I think we are all guilty of that from time to time - nobody has arrived yet that I know of :)

Also, please realize that the Holy Spirit is a He, not an "it". He is part of the Godhead and is not some impersonal force (not that you were implying that, I say this just to make a point). The Holy Spirit is a He.

God Bless,
Matt

RevLogos
Oct 16th 2008, 01:55 PM
Danield,

Also, please realize that the Holy Spirit is a He, not an "it". He is part of the Godhead and is not some impersonal force (not that you were implying that, I say this just to make a point). The Holy Spirit is a He.

God Bless,
Matt

I have never felt any sense that the Holy Spirit is a "he". Does the Bible use this personal pronoun when referring to the Holy Spirit?

John146
Oct 16th 2008, 02:59 PM
I have never felt any sense that the Holy Spirit is a "he". Does the Bible use this personal pronoun when referring to the Holy Spirit?Absolutely.

John 14
16And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; 17Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

John 14:26
But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

John 15:26
But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:

John 16
7Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you. 8And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

tundra
Oct 16th 2008, 03:06 PM
Thank you John146, you beat me to the punch :D

Scruffy Kid
Oct 16th 2008, 04:05 PM
I have never felt any sense that the Holy Spirit is a "he". Does the Bible use this personal pronoun when referring to the Holy Spirit?1. The Greek word for "spirit" is "pneuma" (meaning breath, wind, spirit, etc.) (related to the roots from which we get "pulmonary", referring to the lungs, or "pneumonia").

2. Greek is a language in which there are three grammatical genders, Masculine, Feminine, and Neuter. The Greek word "pneuma" (like many other words ending in "ma", I believe) is a neuter noun.

3. When the NT refers to the Holy Spirit ("Pneuma") and then uses a pronoun to refer to the Spirit, in the latter chapters of John's Gospel (John 14:17, 14:26, 15:26, 16:13) the pronoun that is used is a masculine pronoun.

Probably the main point of this usage is that the Spirit is personal -- a person who speaks, and descends, and is in fellowship with the Father and the Son -- not some impersonal force. However, the Holy Spirit is (with the Father and the Son) God. Thus the overall Biblical usage, in which God is referred to with masculine pronouns (because Christ is the Bridegroom, the Church the Bride; God is the husband of Israel, God is our Father, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ; God is Lord) fits with using the masculine pronoun for the Spirit.

This does not mean that God is male -- the whole idea would be impossible, for God is Spirit, and has no body -- (although of course God the Son, incarnate, Jesus Christ, was a man, a male human being). But the usage -- our thinking of God as Father; or as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, one God; as Lord; and so on -- is what God has revealed to us. God is our Father. Jesus Christ is our Lord. God is in relation to humanity, to the church, to the individual human soul, somewhat as a Father is to a son, or a bridegroom to a bride.

Thus, as I understand it, the correct way to refer to the Holy Spirit (if one is using a pronoun) is as "He".

theBelovedDisciple
Oct 16th 2008, 04:42 PM
Jesus Himself called the Holy Ghost a 'he' or 'him'... that's enough for me to believe..... and trust Him in what He is saying.....

sunsetssplendor
Oct 16th 2008, 05:17 PM
Are there any recent statements that have been made on behalf of the HS that concern you?

My pastor said during his prayer time he was given an urgent notice to pray for Obama and McCain. I've felt the same way and I do think the HS is prompting people to pray and stand in the middle.

third hero
Oct 16th 2008, 05:26 PM
Danield,

There is defintely a problem with publicly revealing things that the Holy Spirit reveals to us at times. That is, unless what we have heard explicitly lines up with scripture, or that God has explicitly commanded us to share with others. In the latter case Christians must confirm that the Lord truly spoke to them before sharing publicly. When He revealed future events to our brothers in the Bible (like Daniel for example), many times the Lord would say 'seal up the vision' until the appointed time. Other times people will think they heard the Holy Spirit speak, but it really wasn't Him. I think we are all guilty of that from time to time - nobody has arrived yet that I know of :)

God Bless,
Matt
You know, there is a lot of truth to this paragraph. When someone actually hears fromthe GHoly Spirit, and they share it prematurely, what they have heard is often, if not always, met with skepticism.

However, in the same token, there are plenty who tll falsehoods, and proclaim them as truth, saying the "the Holy Spirit showed them this". These are the people that I believe Danield are talking about. I have ran into one of thosde in anothre thread in this forum, and like Danield, it sickens me to no end. These are the people who are so free with their tongues that they preach blasphemy and then blaspheme the Holy Spirit, not realizing that they are committing fatal errors in doing so. I suggest that those who throw around the "Holy Spirit has taught me thus" beware of what you are actually saying, because if the Holy Spirit has not taught you, and you know that He has not, and yet you continue to say that He has, then the annanias and sapphira problem will become your problem.

Mograce2U
Oct 16th 2008, 05:37 PM
(Jer 23:25-28) I have heard what the prophets said, that prophesy lies in my name, saying, I have dreamed, I have dreamed. {26} How long shall this be in the heart of the prophets that prophesy lies? yea, they are prophets of the deceit of their own heart; {27} Which think to cause my people to forget my name by their dreams which they tell every man to his neighbour, as their fathers have forgotten my name for Baal. {28} The prophet that hath a dream, let him tell a dream; and he that hath my word, let him speak my word faithfully. What is the chaff to the wheat? saith the LORD.

Discernment is certainly needed and no doubt the reason we are told to test the spirits.

(John 15:26) But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:

(1 John 4:1) Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world...

quiet dove
Oct 16th 2008, 05:44 PM
I agree, discernment is priority. The thing I think we all here need to consider, especially with all us regulars who are familiar with the routine here. Is that most of the posters that show up, be they old or new members, are genuinly sincere. When most of them say the Holy Spirit has revealed something, they sincerely believe that and their desire is to help others.

I understand there are many out there who are intentionally deceptive, but we must be careful not to hurt a brother or sister who is sincerely mistaken as opposed to intentionally deceptive, there is a difference. Bbiblically speaking, we are to be encouraging to one another. Even when we disagree, we can still do it in such a manner as to not tear down or apart a member of our own Body. In our disagreements with one another we certainly do not want to cause a weaker or less mature brother or sister to stumble, for God will surely be displeased with that also.

danield
Oct 16th 2008, 08:46 PM
First of all please forgive me for not calling the Holy Spirit by he or him. I also want to mention that this thread is in response to someone claiming that they knew who the AC was. You know, I do not have a problem if someone says they think that someone is the AC, but when you phrase it with the Holy Spirit has revealed to you that the AC is XYZ, it is disturbing especially when you know it is not true. One of the reasons I think that Revelations is such a mystery is because if it was completely foretold then someone could very well come along and change history. It might even be why the beast receives a wound to the head and has to be healed miraculously. But never the less God instructed John to seal up what the seven thunders have said until he blows his trumpet. I can only expect it marks a critical part of Revelation. And I am sure his plan will be revealed at the appropriate time for all to know.

Revelation 10:4-6 When the seven thunders spoke, I was about to write. But I heard a voice from heaven saying, "Keep secret what the seven thunders said, and do not write it down." 5 Then the angel I saw standing on the sea and on the land raised his right hand toward heaven. 6 He swore an oath in the name of the one who lives forever and ever, who created the heavens and everything in them, the earth and everything in it, and the sea and everything in it. He said, "There will be no more delay. 7 When the seventh angel blows his trumpet, God's mysterious plan will be fulfilled. It will happen just as he announced it to his servants the prophets."
I am not saying that we should not scratch our heads on the issues, but when someone suggests that the AC might be someone who it could not possibly be, then I feel it is irresponsible to make fantastic claims on behalf of the Holy Spirit. Anyway I am sorry to have brought the issue up.

God Bless.

quiet dove
Oct 16th 2008, 08:48 PM
First of all please forgive me for not calling the Holy Spirit by he or him. I also want to mention that this thread is in response to someone claiming that they knew who the AC was. You know, I do not have a problem if someone says they think that someone is the AC, but when you phrase it with the Holy Spirit has revealed to you that the AC is XYZ, it is disturbing. One of the reasons I think that Revelations is such a mystery is because if it was completely foretold then someone could very well come along and change history. It might even be why the beast receives a wound to the head and has to be healed miraculously. But never the less God instructed John to seal up what the seven thunders have said until he blows his trumpet. I can only expect it marks a critical part of Revelation. And I am sure his plan will be revealed at the appropriate time for all to know.

I am not saying that we should not scratch our heads on the issues, but when someone suggests that the AC might be someone who it could not possibly be, then I feel it is irresponsible to make fantastic claims on behalf of the Holy Spirit. Anyway I am sorry to have brought the issue up.

God Bless.

You have not need of being sorry for bringing it up, it is a valid point. And there is concern for folks who get led to believe these things. It shows they are not grounded well enough in the scriptures and that in turn could leave them with much disappointment and confusion when these so called prophets are wrong.

Mograce2U
Oct 16th 2008, 09:29 PM
danield,
I think the illustration you chose for the OP is a good one concerning this issue. Ananias & Sapphira wanted to appear as part of what they saw going on in the early church. But not so much so that they were willing to forsake the covetousness of their heart. This pretense of being what one is not is the issue with the false prophet too. They want the glory and the attention of a prophet of God and think they have found a way to get it - even thru pretense. Which is not unlike what Simon the sorcerer had in mind either - in that they covet the things of God for the wrong reason - to bring (undeserved) glory to themselves. That the Holy Spirit does a genuine work in the heart of the believer is not what these men are concerned with - nor what they are after.

Gentle Soul
Oct 16th 2008, 11:48 PM
I think it's dangerous to take what is revealed to you as revelation that should be discussed with others. I feel your relationship with the Holy Spirit is personal, between you and him and should stay that way. I tend to lean on him in prayer, and if I have something of grave concern, I'll ask away and sometimes he reveals himself to me on que, as if giving me an affirmation to the decision I am about to make. There is no audio dialog going on, nor is it a complex relationship, and when I discuss experiencing him, I have discernment to determin if the person I'm talking to has experienced the real mccoy, or if they are simply trying to fit in and go with the crowd.

People should be very sure of what they discuss when it comes to explaining the source, and if you are unsure to any degree of any level, you should show restraint, and at best, word it as an opinion, or speculation. For we are limited in our capacity to interpret and often times get things wrong in the translation.

tundra
Oct 17th 2008, 01:00 AM
First of all please forgive me for not calling the Holy Spirit by he or him. I also want to mention that this thread is in response to someone claiming that they knew who the AC was. You know, I do not have a problem if someone says they think that someone is the AC, but when you phrase it with the Holy Spirit has revealed to you that the AC is XYZ, it is disturbing especially when you know it is not true. One of the reasons I think that Revelations is such a mystery is because if it was completely foretold then someone could very well come along and change history. It might even be why the beast receives a wound to the head and has to be healed miraculously. But never the less God instructed John to seal up what the seven thunders have said until he blows his trumpet. I can only expect it marks a critical part of Revelation. And I am sure his plan will be revealed at the appropriate time for all to know.

God Bless.

Hi Danield,

Hey bro you have no need to apologize for anything it was a good post, yet I appreciate your humility! When I read what you wrote I agreed, but felt led to expound a bit more on the person of the Holy Spirit. I hope that you didn't take what I wrote the wrong way. It was surely meant in love and to help you and others gain a bit more understanding! :)

Thanks for giving the specific example of what was bothering you. In that context, I totally agree with what you said. We Christians need to be much more careful with our words, and especially not playing the 'name dropping game' with the precious Holy Spirit. It seems that some people like to add "the Holy Spirit said this" to make themselves sound credible, but if He really didn't speak it is an extremely irresponsible sin.

The sort of thing you've described really grieves the Lord. Let's pray together for this person that the Lord would intervene in their life and correct them.

-Matt

OneTime
Oct 17th 2008, 01:06 AM
This is a weird scripture, and part of me doubts the validity of it. EVERY SINGLE Christian has duality in his or her heart, and we are commanded to give from a cheerful heart and not under compulsion. Who knows why God struck them dead, but the bottom line is if He held us all to such a standard, allowing that he would wait until we were of age to hold us to such a standard, none of us would have made it out of our teens.

Gentle Soul
Oct 17th 2008, 01:20 AM
allowing that he would wait until we were of age to hold us to such a standard, none of us would have made it out of our teens.

:Chuckles: Amen!!!

Something that strikes my mind, and perhaps might make some sense of why they were struck down. If you look to the story of Able and Cain, how we see similarities going on here and how each can relate to each other. This seems like a condensed version in a sense, as if these people should have known better to begin with, thus the reason they were dealt with so abruptly.

tundra
Oct 17th 2008, 01:26 AM
This is a weird scripture, and part of me doubts the validity of it. EVERY SINGLE Christian has duality in his or her heart, and we are commanded to give from a cheerful heart and not under compulsion. Who knows why God struck them dead, but the bottom line is if He held us all to such a standard, allowing that he would wait until we were of age to hold us to such a standard, none of us would have made it out of our teens.

I can see your logic, but you have to remember the context of when this happened. There were many people being saved and their number was growing rapidly. They were mostly baby Christians in the New Covenant. I believe the Lord made an example of Ananias and Sapphira, likely to infuse a healthy dose of the fear of the Lord into His bride. Look at verse 11 in Acts 5: "So great fear came upon all the church and upon all who heard these things." Not a scared fear like the worldy people have, but a great reverence and awesome respect for their all powerful God. Sadly, many in the church world today seem to have lost this.

Of course, this type of punishment is definitely not the norm (thank the Lord for that too!). But sometimes the Lord chooses to make strong examples of sinful actions (like Sodom & Gomorrah). He gives and takes away, and who can fully understand His ways. All I know is you can firmly believe this event to be true because if it weren't..... you better believe that God would not have allowed it into the Scriptures.

danield
Oct 17th 2008, 01:44 AM
Who knows why God struck them dead, but the bottom line is if He held us all to such a standard, allowing that he would wait until we were of age to hold us to such a standard, none of us would have made it out of our teens.

I feel certain that God does hold us to such standards. God never changes. He is the same as he was yesterday as he is today and will be tomorrow. The reason they died was because they were trying to deceive the Holy Spirit (in his very presence ). It is like trying to tell a lie to someone who already knows your thoughts before you speak. I like you feel that God will not hold children accountable for their actions as he does adults. Children have not developed a full sense of right from wrong. Even in our teens we are still developing our understanding of our environments.

quiet dove
Oct 17th 2008, 01:46 AM

it says they were enticed by Satan to lie to the Holy Spirit to lie to God, thats why they were struck dead, not because they lied to men.

Act 5:3 But Peter said, "Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy and keep back part of the price of the land for yourself? Act 5:4 While it remained, was it not your own? And after it was sold, was it not in your own control? Why have you conceived this thing in your heart? You have not lied to men but to God."

Gentle Soul
Oct 17th 2008, 01:49 AM
it says they were enticed by Satan to lie to the Holy Spirit to lie to God, thats why they were struck dead, not because they lied to men.

Act 5:3 But Peter said, "Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy and keep back part of the price of the land for yourself? Act 5:4 While it remained, was it not your own? And after it was sold, was it not in your own control? Why have you conceived this thing in your heart? You have not lied to men but to God."

I took note of your post count Quiet Dove:

I think I'm going to remain reserved if you opt to have a bad hair day on me. :), lol.

You do have a great point here, it's very clear now, thank you!

quiet dove
Oct 17th 2008, 02:35 AM
I took note of your post count Quiet Dove:

I think I'm going to remain reserved if you opt to have a bad hair day on me. :), lol.

You do have a great point here, it's very clear now, thank you!

I have not paid any attention to my post count. But I it should be 6671 now. :saint:

third hero
Oct 17th 2008, 06:24 AM
I think it's dangerous to take what is revealed to you as revelation that should be discussed with others. I feel your relationship with the Holy Spirit is personal, between you and him and should stay that way. I tend to lean on him in prayer, and if I have something of grave concern, I'll ask away and sometimes he reveals himself to me on que, as if giving me an affirmation to the decision I am about to make. There is no audio dialog going on, nor is it a complex relationship, and when I discuss experiencing him, I have discernment to determin if the person I'm talking to has experienced the real mccoy, or if they are simply trying to fit in and go with the crowd.

People should be very sure of what they discuss when it comes to explaining the source, and if you are unsure to any degree of any level, you should show restraint, and at best, word it as an opinion, or speculation. For we are limited in our capacity to interpret and often times get things wrong in the translation.

I both agree and disagree at the exact same time. Yes, it is true that one's relationship with the Holy Spirit is personal. However, if the Holy Spirit shows you something, and you feel compelled to share it, then that has to be shared, since the Holy Spirit is the one compelling you to share it.

Gentle Soul
Oct 17th 2008, 07:07 AM
I both agree and disagree at the exact same time. Yes, it is true that one's relationship with the Holy Spirit is personal. However, if the Holy Spirit shows you something, and you feel compelled to share it, then that has to be shared, since the Holy Spirit is the one compelling you to share it.

Perhaps it's just me, but I always felt the HS was conveyuing info just for me, kind of like a big brother telling his sybling what's up rather then myself telling what I experienced to a group of people that cannot possible understand, much less apprieciate. It's nice to be able to talk about this stuff here, being in like minded company makes a world of difference.

third hero
Oct 17th 2008, 07:50 AM
Perhaps it's just me, but I always felt the HS was conveyuing info just for me, kind of like a big brother telling his sybling what's up rather then myself telling what I experienced to a group of people that cannot possible understand, much less apprieciate. It's nice to be able to talk about this stuff here, being in like minded company makes a world of difference.

Well, He does operate just as you say. And yes, being around like-minded people is such a blessing. I do believe, however, that although much of what the Holy Spirit shows you is indeed personal, He does have the knack to show you things that you will be able to share. Although it may seem as though some may not understand it, but if the Lord truly shown you something, He will show it to you in terms that you can clearly understand. With that understanding, He will also guide your words, so that others will be able to understand, that is if they are not of the closed-minded type, which most people generally are.

Gentle Soul
Oct 17th 2008, 09:09 AM
Well, He does operate just as you say. And yes, being around like-minded people is such a blessing. I do believe, however, that although much of what the Holy Spirit shows you is indeed personal, He does have the knack to show you things that you will be able to share. Although it may seem as though some may not understand it, but if the Lord truly shown you something, He will show it to you in terms that you can clearly understand. With that understanding, He will also guide your words, so that others will be able to understand, that is if they are not of the closed-minded type, which most people generally are.

Great, no pressure, some of my words are my flawed "own" some of them from God, no pressure, none at all, lol... :)

Looking to the vastness of the cosmos, that alone is a testiment knowing the creator himself takes reality with his creation on a personal, direct basis.

God is Good!!!!

B

OneTime
Oct 17th 2008, 10:45 AM

I like that. Good thoughts from all. So possibly, this was not going to be the last "move" they made considering that Satan had entered them. If you combine that with the "making an example out of them" thought process, it seems to add up a lot more.