PDA

View Full Version : Theory of Evolution

rhettender
Oct 17th 2008, 10:43 PM
So what concrete evidence is there for evolution? It's a theory, nothing more.

The other point is that schools shouldn't be teaching any theory as if it were fact. Theories should be recognised as theories.

I would like to respond to this, but I know there is a limit of one non-Christian to a thread. Could a Mod start this as a new thread (I posted here because I wanted to respond to the above quote, and would like it if that quote might possibly be retained in any new thread).

Thanks.

rhettender
Oct 17th 2008, 11:30 PM
Full thanks to the mods.

The most powerful evidence for the theory of evolution comes from a relatively new field: genetics. Darwin's theory predicted a system of heredity with the ability to invent new hereditary units. DNA accomplishes this through mutation. Every facet of genetics aligns with evolutionary theory.

Take this for example: Taxonomists have long believed Humans were most closely related to Chimps, followed by Gorillas, followed Orangutans, followed by Gibbons (those are the five genuses of apes). With genome sequencing scientists have demonstrated just this: we share most of our DNA with chimps (between 95 and 98.5%, depending on what standard of shared is used), slightly less with gorillas, etc.. Even more interestingly, Humans and Chimps have many of the same introns (which are non-coding DNA, which don't produce proteins and are apparently useless) in the exact same places, suggesting a common evolutionary ancestor.

There is so much to evolutionary biology that I would strongly suggest personal study of the subject, for it is truly fascinating.

I don't want to attack anyone's faith are attempt to lead them astray. I simply believe Christians would win more for the side of Christ if they worked with the science, rather than against it.

Tanya~
Oct 18th 2008, 12:27 AM
Full thanks to the mods.

The most powerful evidence for the theory of evolution comes from a relatively new field: genetics. Darwin's theory predicted a system of heredity with the ability to invent new hereditary units. DNA accomplishes this through mutation. Every facet of genetics aligns with evolutionary theory.

On the other hand, the laws of heredity fully fit within the Biblical framework of the concept of everything reproducing after their own kind. I'm not sure how you come up with the idea that "every facet of genetics aligns with evolutionary theory." I think the opposite is true. There is still no mechanism for evolution. Mutation helps to bring about new variations but cannot bridge that gap between basic kinds. You can have many different kinds of finches on the Galapagos Islands. But they're all still finches. These adaptations did not turn them into another kind of animal.

Take this for example: Taxonomists have long believed Humans were most closely related to Chimps, followed by Gorillas, followed Orangutans, followed by Gibbons (those are the five genuses of apes). With genome sequencing scientists have demonstrated just this: we share most of our DNA with chimps (between 95 and 98.5%, depending on what standard of shared is used), slightly less with gorillas, etc.. Even more interestingly, Humans and Chimps have many of the same introns (which are non-coding DNA, which don't produce proteins and are apparently useless) in the exact same places, suggesting a common evolutionary ancestor.

Humans share 50-60% genes with a banana. Do we have a common ancestor with a banana? The similarity of genetic makeup is not proof of evolution or evolutionary relationship. It shows that life is programmed. The coding is for everything that makes life work -- building cells, manufacturing proteins and enzymes -- things that are common to all life. The programming suggests a programmer.

I don't want to attack anyone's faith are attempt to lead them astray. I simply believe Christians would win more for the side of Christ if they worked with the science, rather than against it.

Christianity does not work against science. Science doesn't disprove Christianity. The problem is when unproven ideas or interpretations of data are used in an attempt to 'debunk' faith. The world view, biases and presuppositions of the person looking at raw scientific data will color how that data is interpreted. It is a deception to assume that scientists are unbiased and 'objective' while Christians aren't.

rhettender, I went ahead and moved that post to open this thread for you and replied to it but I'm going to lock it now. The reason is that this forum is not a debate forum, as stated in the rules. I know that is probably a disappointment to you but there are other places and forums where you can debate with Christians about Evolution. Our purpose is spelled out in the rules, and we would be happy to answer any questions that you have.

Thanks for your understanding and cooperation.