PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice: The yoke of Jesus in Matthew 11:28-30

stillforgiven
Oct 21st 2008, 01:42 PM
Matthew 11:28-30

28 Then Jesus said, ďCome to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.Ē

What is the yoke that Jesus spoke of here? It canít be Christianity, because itís anything but easy and light. Itís in trying to be a good Christian and in trying to serve Him that I become the most wearied and burden to the point of burn out, so this canít be what Jesus was talking about. And yet, He said to come to Him for rest.

What is this yoke He spoke of? What did He mean?

theBelovedDisciple
Oct 21st 2008, 02:53 PM
Matthew 11:28-30

28 Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.”

What is the yoke that Jesus spoke of here? It can’t be Christianity, because it’s anything but easy and light. It’s in trying to be a good Christian and in trying to serve Him that I become the most wearied and burden to the point of burn out, so this can’t be what Jesus was talking about. And yet, He said to come to Him for rest.

What is this yoke He spoke of? What did He mean?

The 'yoke' in the Greek is translated as.....

) a yoke
a) a yoke that is put on draught cattle
b) metaph., used of any burden or bondage
1) as that of slavery
2) of troublesome laws imposed on one, esp. of the Mosaic law, hence the name is so transferred to the commands of Christ as to contrast them with the commands of the Pharisees which were a veritable 'yoke'; yet even Christ's commands must be submitted to, though easier to be kept
2) a balance, pair of scales

The #2 part under (b) is a very good description of the 'yoke' the religious establishment had placed on people.. those Pharisees and Saduucees of His day... they pushed the Law on people and added more rules and regulations on how to make 'oneself' holy.... that yoke they pushed on people was almost impossible to fulfill or follow.. and the Pharisees themselves would not lift one hand to help those whom they imposed and demanded upon.. Jesus Himself called them 'whited' sceplechures' full of dead men's bones and all corruption... This yoke they imposed upon people was 'condemning' and 'guilt ridden'.... thus putting those who follow it into complete slavery and bondage to it....
Even in today's religious establishment there are 'rules' and 'regulation's imposed upon Christians in order to make them appear more 'righteous' or holy above everybody else... its called Legalism.... and that is almost the same type of bondage that Jesus dealt with the Pharisees and Sadducees
touch not , taste not, do this, dont do that... all to make oneself more righteous or holy...

Jesus's YOKE is EASY.. ITS LIGHT... He demands that you 'know' Him and follow Him.... 'knowing' your Redeemer is very important.. What you do and dont do will be out of a Relatiionship with your Redeemer and your obedience to Him will be a direct result of that.. vs..not following man made 'religous' yokes that are placed on people and 'demanded' of people... If you happen to stumble and fall... Jesus is there to pick you up and give you strength to continue on.. He'll teach you... He won't condemn you and fill you full of guilt if you make a mistake.... His 'yoke' is TRULY EASY AND ITS LIGHT and with His Yoke upon you there is .. REST........ and its not BURDENSOME... if you are led of the Spirit you will come to realize this or He will reveal it to you........

kf4zmt
Oct 21st 2008, 08:00 PM
A yoke is a wooden beam placed upon the neck of work animals to which a load was attached. They were then able to pull the load (plow. wagon, etc.).

I've always looked at it as a comparison. Jesus' yoke is easy compared to the yoke of sin. When we live in obedience to Jesus' commands, we avoid so many of the hardships, troubles and trials that sin brings upon us.

A secondary meaning I take from Jesus' saying in this passage is that since we wear His yoke, it implies we also have work which He gives us to do.

Éσяєяυииєя
Oct 21st 2008, 08:02 PM
Actually there`s a verse:

But the word of the LORD was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little; that they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken. Isa 28.13

Well my friend, one could keep going to church the whole life, and yet don`t rejoice or experience peace with God.

The man of Romans chapter 7 is or rather can`t find joy in the law. So that man regarded in Psalm 119 who finds joy and delight in the law of God is not or can not be matched to the man of Romans 7 but 8.

What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.

But sin, taking occasion by the commandment, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence. For without the law sin was dead.

For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.

And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death. Rom 7: 7-10.

Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life. 2 Corinthians 3:6

There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death. Romans 8:1-2.

Be good

Sold Out
Oct 21st 2008, 09:09 PM
A yoke (spiritually speaking) would be burdens, hurts, misc. baggage a person has brought into their Christianity.

For instance, I had a bad childhood. I carried that yoke around for many years - as a Christian. After some counseling with my pastor, I learned how to give it to Christ so I didn't carry it around anymore. I am a lot lighter, spiritually speaking!

stillforgiven
Oct 22nd 2008, 12:35 AM
I appreciate all of your replies more than you can know.

Jesus's YOKE is EASY.. ITS LIGHT... He demands that you 'know' Him and follow Him.... 'knowing' your Redeemer is very important.. What you do and don't do will be out of a Relationship with your Redeemer and your obedience to Him will be a direct result of that.. vs..not following man made 'religious' yokes that are placed on people and 'demanded' of people... If you happen to stumble and fall... Jesus is there to pick you up and give you strength to continue on.. He'll teach you... He won't condemn you and fill you full of guilt if you make a mistake.... His 'yoke' is TRULY EASY AND ITS LIGHT and with His Yoke upon you there is .. REST........ and its not BURDENSOME... if you are led of the Spirit you will come to realize this or He will reveal it to you........

This is where I've missed it. Any relationship I've had with Him has been pretty messed up. The truth is, I don't trust Him or anyone to really love or like me for who I am, so I work to be who I think they want me to be. Even God. And when man would pile on the burdens, I would "see" them coming from Him.

A yoke (spiritually speaking) would be burdens, hurts, misc. baggage a person has brought into their Christianity.

For instance, I had a bad childhood. I carried that yoke around for many years - as a Christian.

And about the childhood thing...yep, me too.

Again, thank you so much for all the replies so far.

Dani H
Oct 22nd 2008, 12:43 AM
It's only difficult when we're trying not to be something. Usually for the sake of our own judgmentalism towards ourselves or that of other people.

See yourself like God sees you, and be that person. Fully.

And His yoke will be lighter than you can imagine. :)

stillforgiven
Oct 22nd 2008, 12:47 AM
See yourself like God sees you...

That's the hardest part of all.

Dani H
Oct 22nd 2008, 01:06 AM
That's the hardest part of all.

Well, then anyone who told you the opposite, was wrong, eh?

Human beings, in our delusion and distorted self-imagery, are very good to project our own distorted self-imagery onto those around us.

We HAVE to know who we are in Christ. We HAVE to know and accept how God sees us, and repent, and agree with Him, because He alone is right. I am who God says I am. I can do what God says I can do.

If God says He loves me, then I have no right to reject His love based on how I might feel about myself.

If Jesus said He died for me, and that being with me forever was worth His life, and He proved that by doing what He did, then I have to believe that.

If God says that He thinks good thoughts towards me and that His plans for me are good, then I have to believe that.

If God says I am righteous, then I have to believe it. Am I better than God? Do I know more than He does? But our Self can set itself onto the throne of our hearts and act like it's God, and squawk its lies and deceptions, and it is up to us to kick that thing off and put Jesus where He belongs. Right there, as King of Kings and Lord of Lords, within ourselves, and with Self on the cross, dying, where it belongs, because it's wrong, wrong, wrong, and always will be. :)

theBelovedDisciple
Oct 22nd 2008, 01:22 AM
I would just continue to encourage ..you to be you... God does not 'create' religious robots... Each of His children are unique in certain ways..........God already 'knows' you.. He 'knows' your weaknessness and He knows your strengths.. He knows your comings and goings.. He is familiar with all your ways... Thats why He is God....

Man and his established religious system always sets a standard.. a 'benchmark' if I may put it that way.....they 'want' you to be molded into this 'perfect' image... outwardly.. yet this never really takes care of the 'inner man'.. only Jesus the Christ can set your 'inner person' FREE from all those 'standards', 'benchmarks', 'the image' people set up.. and yes this even in so called 'christian' circles and groups..... Along with these so called 'standards' or benchmarks people set ... comes the condemnation and guilt assoicated with them when they are not 'aquired' or people fail in their attempt to meet them...

God's Word says there is No condemnation for those who are In Christ Jesus.... no matter what.....

Paul cried in the NT... By the Grace of God .. I am what I am.....

If you look to the OT and NT.. those whom God called were certainly not the 'elite'... the perfect image.... the 'in crowd'.. those who had 'met' the bench mark.......... etc... they were sinners.. who had imperfections... yet He used them mightliy to complete His will... He still calls those today... and He will continue to call people and use people...

You will find when you trust Him and 'get close' to Him... 'knowing' Him ...you'll find a gentle and Humble teacher... who wants to teach you and instruct you.. yet give you all the desires of your heart... while serving Him and others as He works thru you... this all given FREELY and without the guilt and condemnation that comes along with meeting the 'status quo'.... I testify to this day that ....... Truly His Yoke and Burden is Light...... May God bless you Immensely in your Daily Walk with Him...

stillforgiven
Oct 22nd 2008, 02:03 AM
Well, then anyone who told you the opposite, was wrong, eh?...

I would just continue to encourage ..you to be you...

I've copied what you posted along with the other advice given into a word doc to read. I'll read it until I get it.

I really appreciate all of this.

Dani H
Oct 22nd 2008, 02:07 AM
I've copied what you posted along with the other advice given into a word doc to read. I'll read it until I get it.

I really appreciate all of this.

No worries.

I submit that God made you exactly who you are because He needs you to be just like that. Who else is going to do the job He has for you? And how else are you going to do it except by being you?

Be encouraged. :hug:

Biastai
Oct 22nd 2008, 02:55 AM
I know this is from an Epicurean pen but...

"When Man's life upon earth in base dismay
Crushed by the burden of Religion, lay,....
...Till underfoot is tamed religion trod,
And by his victory, Man ascends to God."
Lucretius, from On the Nature of Things

Rites, prayers, sacrifices, and payments necessary to satisfy God/gods made a heavy burden for those wanting to be in favour. It was something felt in almost all religions. Jesus condemned the Pharisees for such demands. They "[tied] up heavy loads and put them on men's shoulders, but they themselves [were] not willing to lift a finger to move them." (Matthew 23:4) Jesus wanted a shift of focus from tithing mint, dill, and cummin to weightier matters of the Law, namely "justice, mercy, and faithfulness." (Matthew 23:23)

stillforgiven
Oct 22nd 2008, 03:07 AM

Rites, prayers, sacrifices, and payments necessary to satisfy God/gods made a heavy burden for those wanting to be in favour. It was something felt in almost all religions. Jesus condemned the Pharisees for such demands. They "[tied] up heavy loads and put them on men's shoulders, but they themselves [were] not willing to lift a finger to move them." (Matthew 23:4) Jesus wanted a shift of focus from tithing mint, dill, and cummin to weightier matters of the Law, namely "justice, mercy, and faithfulness." (Matthew 23:23)

I don't know what "Epicurean pen" means, but I suspect it's frowned upon by some on the board here. Nevertheless, it's a good quote. Thanks.

Biastai
Oct 22nd 2008, 05:38 AM
I don't know what "Epicurean pen" means, but I suspect it's frowned upon by some on the board here. Nevertheless, it's a good quote. Thanks.

Hmm, I just took a second look at the rules of the forum. In my defense, its a sample taken from C. K. Barrett's compilation of excerpts titled The New Testament Background, a work giving writings which help along a better understanding of the environment of our NT. I felt Lucretius' description of the "burden of religion" is very relevant to this topic. Sadly, this burdening is an error that's been repeated in the church at times (in my personal experience at least).

theBelovedDisciple
Oct 22nd 2008, 04:35 PM

-------------------------------------------------------

This is what I addressed in my first post... Its no different today ... Personally, I know what its like to taste 'freedom'.. then be drawn back into 'religious burden's'.. and that very 'subtly'.....then have His Grace and Mercy pull me back out again and shown the Truth...

stillforgiven
Oct 22nd 2008, 11:56 PM
Hmm, I just took a second look at the rules of the forum. In my defense, its a sample taken from C. K. Barrett's compilation of excerpts titled The New Testament Background, a work giving writings which help along a better understanding of the environment of our NT. I felt Lucretius' description of the "burden of religion" is very relevant to this topic. Sadly, this burdening is an error that's been repeated in the church at times (in my personal experience at least).

-------------------------------------------------------

This is what I addressed in my first post... Its no different today ... Personally, I know what its like to taste 'freedom'.. then be drawn back into 'religious burden's'.. and that very 'subtly'.....then have His Grace and Mercy pull me back out again and shown the Truth...

The burden of religion is definitely alive and well in 2008. My mistake is allowing it and the men/women behind it to run me off from God when I avoid churches nearly any gathering of Christians.

I appreciate your posts. :)

cdo
Oct 23rd 2008, 02:51 AM
:)
Hi stillforgiven,
The yoke Jesus is talking about is the burdens that your trying to carry yourself.He wants you to give them to Him and He'll take care of them for you."His yoke is light" yes, b/c we can't do anything without Him...not our yokes...but,His is easy b/c He's taking care of your burdens and the one's we face daily.
Blessing,:hug::hug: