PDA

View Full Version : Give scriptural encouragement.

turtledove
Oct 21st 2008, 03:09 PM
Some time ago one of our members here asked we share with him scriptures of comfort and encouragement. That thread has long been inactive so I thought it would be good to start a new one in which we take turns sharing with one another for our edification and blessing at least one of our favorite scriptures of Comfort and/or Encouragement. Follow with a prayer if you like.

I'll start with one of my favorites - one which does comfort and encourage me. :saint:

John 14:27 (Words of Jesus) "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."

My prayer is: [Lord Jesus, thank you for the peace which the world does not give.] :pray:

Please share one of yours..more if you like and more than once on the thread if you feel so inclined.

wiseoldowl :)

Firefighter
Oct 21st 2008, 04:29 PM
1Pe 5:10 And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you.

hidden
Oct 21st 2008, 10:44 PM
(Psalm 46:10) “Be still, and know that I am God”

Dani H
Oct 22nd 2008, 02:31 AM
Jeremiah 29:11 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=30&chapter=29&verse=11&version=50&context=verse)
For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

unkerns
Oct 22nd 2008, 07:24 PM
1 Timothy 1:15
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst.

turtledove
Oct 23rd 2008, 12:34 PM
Colossians 2:2 NIV (http://www.tnivbible.com/bible/passagesearch.php?passage_request=Colossians 2:2&niv=yes)
My purpose is that they may be encouraged in heart and united in love, so that they may have the full riches of complete understanding, in order that they may know the mystery of God, namely, Christ,...

My prayer: [God, grant that every day we also be 'encouraged in heart and united in love', so that we may have better understanding, in order that we may grow in our knowledge of Jesus ]:pray:

daughter
Oct 23rd 2008, 01:18 PM
I absolutely love the story of the leper who Jesus cleansed. In all three accounts, the leper says "if you will (or in modern speak, "if you want to") you can make me clean." And Jesus reaches out and says, "I want to. Be clean."

I just love the fact that Jesus WANTS to make us clean, and reaches out His hand to do so.

The story is in Matthew 8, verses 1 to four, Mark 1, verses 40 to 45, and Luke 5, 12 to 16.

When you think how outcast lepers were... Jesus reached out and TOUCHED him.

That comforts me so much, because Jesus still reaches out to cleanse us.

Here's the version from Matthew. Enjoy!

8:1 (http://net.bible.org/verse.php?book=Mat&chapter=8&verse=1) After he came down from the mountain, large crowds followed him. 8:2 (http://net.bible.org/verse.php?book=Mat&chapter=8&verse=2) And a leper 1 (http://net.bible.org/passage.php?passage=mat%208:1-4#n1) approached, and bowed low before him, saying, 2 (http://net.bible.org/passage.php?passage=mat%208:1-4#n2) “Lord, if 3 (http://net.bible.org/passage.php?passage=mat%208:1-4#n3) you are willing, you can make me clean.” 8:3 (http://net.bible.org/verse.php?book=Mat&chapter=8&verse=3) He stretched out his hand and touched 4 (http://net.bible.org/passage.php?passage=mat%208:1-4#n4) him saying, “I am willing. Be clean!” Immediately his leprosy was cleansed. 8:4 (http://net.bible.org/verse.php?book=Mat&chapter=8&verse=4) Then Jesus said to him, “See that you do not speak to anyone, 5 (http://net.bible.org/passage.php?passage=mat%208:1-4#n5) but go, show yourself to a priest, and bring the offering 6 (http://net.bible.org/passage.php?passage=mat%208:1-4#n6) that Moses commanded, 7 (http://net.bible.org/passage.php?passage=mat%208:1-4#n7) as a testimony to them.” 8 (http://net.bible.org/passage.php?passage=mat%208:1-4#n8)

tt1106
Oct 23rd 2008, 01:24 PM
Psalm 91:4: He will comfort you with his pinions and under his wings you will find refuge. His faithfulness is a shield and Buckler.

9Marksfan
Oct 23rd 2008, 01:29 PM
A bruised reed He will not break, and smoking flax He will not quench.... Is 42:3 NKJV

I remember hearing a missionary home on furlough preaching over 20 years ago and he mentioned this verse, with the following simple yet profound application:-

Are you a bruised reed? God's not going to break you.

Are you a smoking flax? God's not going to snuff you out.

Beautiful.

Slug1
Oct 23rd 2008, 01:35 PM
Psalm 91 and Psalm 51 v10, 17.

moonglow
Oct 23rd 2008, 02:33 PM
I am sharing my favorite passage in the forum of a video I did, if that is ok:

What is Love (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7ojQL0XKKI)

Nice thread wiseoldowl! :)

God bless

turtledove
Oct 23rd 2008, 02:44 PM
I am sharing my favorite passage in the forum of a video I did, if that is ok:

What is Love (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7ojQL0XKKI)

Nice thread wiseoldowl! :)

God bless

MG, This is very beautiful..1 Cor. 13..especially that last precious line..

"and the greatest of these is love."

So encouraging..:)

wiseoldowl :hug:

moonglow
Oct 23rd 2008, 02:50 PM
MG, This is very beautiful..1 Cor. 13..especially that last precious line..

"and the greatest of these is love."

So encouraging..:)

wiseoldowl :hug:

Thanks! :)

I was sitting here thinking I need to make another one...I had something in mind the other day, but I forgot what is was...:lol::rolleyes:

But I really should clean house...:cool:

My other favorite is Psalms 23

A Psalm of David.
1 The LORD is my shepherd;
I shall not want.
2 He makes me to lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside the still waters.
3 He restores my soul;
He leads me in the paths of righteousness
For His name’s sake.

4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil;
For You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
You anoint my head with oil;
My cup runs over.
6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
All the days of my life;
And I will dwell in the house of the LORD
Forever.

God bless

Godisnumber1
Oct 23rd 2008, 02:57 PM
phil 4:13 & galatians 2:20 :D

JesusReignsForever
Oct 23rd 2008, 04:12 PM
17 The righteous cry out, and the LORD hears,
And delivers them out of all their troubles.

This is one of the many verses I love in the bible and find great comfort in We cry out to the Lord and he hears us and he delivers us out of ALL not some. not half, but ALL of our troubles!

WOW! Thank God for Jesus!

turtledove
Oct 24th 2008, 11:31 AM
Great replies here. Thanks to all who have been sharing scriptures. I should have mentioned before to be sure to include the words of the scripture, not just the numbers so that we don't have to look them up. And please, if you wish, consider adding a comment and/or a prayer as well as the scripture.

God bless you all. :pp

Owl...your friendly facilitator..

turtledove
Oct 24th 2008, 02:50 PM
"So do not worry saying, "What shall we eat? or What shall we drink? or What shall we wear?... your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. " [Matthew 6: 31, 33. ]

My prayer: Lord, you know us and you know all of our needs. Help us first seek your kingdom and your righteousness. God, thank you today for your provisions. In the Name of Jesus. Amen. :pray:

turtledove
Oct 26th 2008, 02:06 PM
"He (Paul) traveled through that area, speaking many words of encouragement to the people, and finally arrived in Greece, "(Acts 20:2) NIV

As Paul encouraged others so are we encouraged and so do we give encouragement..:):pray:

CoffeeCat
Oct 26th 2008, 03:40 PM
Romans 8:28-39....

28And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. 29For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. 30And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified.

31What, then, shall we say in response to this? If God is for us, who can be against us? 32He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all—how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things? 33Who will bring any charge against those whom God has chosen? It is God who justifies. 34Who is he that condemns? Christ Jesus, who died—more than that, who was raised to life—is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us. 35Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? 36As it is written:
"For your sake we face death all day long;
we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered." 37No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. 38For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons,[m] neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Abba, Father, I thank You for saving us through Your Son, Jesus Christ. No matter what troubles we come up against, because of what You've done for us to renew us to You, NOTHING can separate us from You. Thank You, Lord, for giving us that reassurance and all of Your love!

turtledove
Oct 27th 2008, 01:12 PM
Here's another one for comfort and encouragement...

Psalm 36:7 "How priceless is your unfailing love! Both high and low among men find refuge in the shadow of your wings."

Prayer: Thank you, God, our protector, as your love does not fail. No matter what -- we can find refuge in your covering. Your banner over us is your love! Amen. :pray:

turtledove
Oct 31st 2008, 02:42 PM
This is so encouraging!

"Not one of all the LORD'S good promises to the house of Israel failed; every one was fulfilled." Joshua 21:45 :)

mongoose303
Nov 1st 2008, 01:40 AM
Isaiah 40:31

But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew thier strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk and not faint.

Psalm 40:

1 I waited patiently for the Lord; and He inclined unto me, and heard my cry.
2 He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings.
3 And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God:many shall see it and fear, and shall trust in the Lord.

KJV.

ƒσяєяυииєя
Nov 1st 2008, 03:37 AM
Nice thread Owl :]

For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace. Romans 6:14.

I have blotted out, as a thick cloud, thy transgressions, and, as a cloud, thy sins: return unto me; for I have redeemed thee. Isaiah 44:22

God bless you

cheech
Nov 1st 2008, 03:44 AM
1 John 4:4
4You are from God, little children, and have overcome them; because greater is He who is in you than he who is in the world.

Slug1
Nov 1st 2008, 01:01 PM
God has my back...

Joshua 1:9

9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.”

WalkingInFaith
Nov 1st 2008, 08:23 PM
James 1:2,3 My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience.

Thaddaeus
Nov 2nd 2008, 08:49 PM
Jas 1:27Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

Richard H
Nov 3rd 2008, 06:24 AM
This verse always helps give me perspective, when I’m full of remorse for falling short.
Blessed be Yeshua who has taken my guilt upon Himself.

Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. Romans 8:1

turtledove
Nov 4th 2008, 01:27 PM
This is a comforting word. :)

"As a mother comforts her child, so will I comfort you;; and you will be comforted..." (Isaiah 66:13)

jessiejane
Nov 6th 2008, 08:17 PM
1 The LORD is my light and my salvation—
whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the stronghold of my life—
of whom shall I be afraid?
2 When evil men advance against me
to devour my flesh, [a]
when my enemies and my foes attack me,
they will stumble and fall.

3 Though an army besiege me,
my heart will not fear;
though war break out against me,
even then will I be confident.

Psalm 27:1-3

turtledove
Nov 7th 2008, 02:52 PM
Acts 9:31 NIV (http://www.tnivbible.com/bible/passagesearch.php?passage_request=Acts 9:31&niv=yes)
Then the church throughout Judea, Galilee and Samaria enjoyed a time of peace. It was strengthened; and encouraged by the Holy Spirit, it grew in numbers, living in the fear of the Lord.

Like the early church we are still encouraged by the Holy Spirit as we grow in numbers living in the fear of the Lord. That is awesome to me and very encouraging!

God, grant us all the ministry of comfort and encouragement! :pray:

turtledove
Nov 12th 2008, 01:06 PM
21 Yet this I call to mind
and therefore I have hope:

22 Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed,
for his compassions never fail. 23 They are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness. (NIV)

This passage I find so comforting and encouraging especially the last line, "great is your faithfulness." which brings to mind the old hymn.."Great is Thy Faithfulness" which is based on that scripture. :pp

turtledove
Nov 18th 2008, 07:12 AM
2 Peter 3:13

"But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to a new heavens and a new earth, the home of righteousness."

The words of the apostle Peter lift our hearts as we, like him, look forward to our eternal home. :pp

RedBird777
Nov 22nd 2008, 04:51 AM
ALL of the Psalms. Whichever Psalm you use depends on what type of encouragement is needed.

turtledove
Nov 22nd 2008, 02:09 PM
Here's a scripture which gives hope in our troubled times:

"But he lifted the needy out of their affliction and increased their families like flocks." (Psalm 107:41) NIV

[Lord, please..come to the assistance of those who suffer affliction. Help those who have lost their jobs and their homes.] :pray:

looking4jesus
Nov 23rd 2008, 02:31 AM
2 Peter 3:13

"But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to a new heavens and a new earth, the home of righteousness."

The words of the apostle Peter lift our hearts as we, like him, look forward to our eternal home. :pp

Amen something wonderful is about to happen
God Bless
Randy

FaithfulSheep
Nov 23rd 2008, 02:36 AM
Isaiah 61:1-3 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=29&chapter=61&verse=1&end_verse=3&version=49&context=context)

1The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me, Because the LORD has anointed me To bring good news to the afflicted; He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, To proclaim liberty to captives And freedom to prisoners; 2To proclaim the favorable year of the LORD And the day of vengeance of our God; To comfort all who mourn, 3To grant those who mourn in Zion, Giving them a garland instead of ashes, The oil of gladness instead of mourning, The mantle of praise instead of a spirit of fainting So they will be called oaks of righteousness, The planting of the LORD, that He may be glorified.

turtledove
Nov 23rd 2008, 02:35 PM
Galatians 6:9-10 (NIV) "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

[God, help me have perseverance in doing good even when I don't feel like it. Direct me to have the patience (which I sure need) to wait upon you for the results to come about. I know it is you working in me and in others on the behalf of those who need our ministry. Please give me an awareness of when these opportunites come so that I can be helpful, uplifting, and available...especially to those in your family. ] :amen:

turtledove
Nov 24th 2008, 01:34 PM
This particular scripture really comforted me today:

"And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or fields for my sake will receive a hundred times as much ..." (Matthew 19:29) (NIV)

I remember when I first decided to teach in a remote mission school as a volunteer right out of college. My older brother and mother were very opposed; but I felt called to go despite their disapproval. That decision changed my life and, in time, my brother and mother, although not understanding why I would give up a good salary for this, ..accepted my decision. God is so good to have blessed me during (two years) and after that time and, to think, more is to come! :)

turtledove
Dec 2nd 2008, 12:36 PM
The words of Jesus from Matthew 28:20 bring encouragement and comfort to us:

" And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." :)

And as the Spirit of God speaks through Paul: 1 Thess 1:4-5 (NIV)

" For we know, ..., that he has chosen you, because our gospel came to you not simply with words, but also with power, with the Holy Spirit and with deep conviction."

turtledove
Dec 10th 2008, 01:11 PM
This one encourages me any day but I especially want to share it as encouragement during this season:

"The Word (Jesus) became flesh and made His dwelling among us. We have seen His glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth." (John 1:14)

:amen:

angelwind
Dec 10th 2008, 04:04 PM
I love these verses...having recently understood ( a little better) how wonderful and powerful God's grace really is towards those who believe in Jesus.

And understanding the times and trials that many are facing or will face...also I have found out by experience (a little better anyway) how really powerful God's grace really is towards them that believe in Jesus Christ. These words help me to see that if I go through rough waters I am not out of God's will nor beyond His reach to help me and keep my soul.

But may the God of all grace,
who called us to His eternal glory by Christ Jesus,
after you have suffered a while,
perfect, establish, strengthen, and settle you.

To Him be the glory
and
the dominion
forever and ever.
Amen.

shelby52
Dec 14th 2008, 11:53 PM
John 14:16 And I will pray Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you forever;

FaithfulSheep
Dec 15th 2008, 12:44 AM
Jeremiah 29:11 – “For I know the plans I have for you" - this is the Lord’s declaration – “plans for your welfare, not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope."

turtledove
Dec 15th 2008, 12:56 PM
"Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom." (Luke 12:32, NIV)

Wow, this scripture really encourages me and something I go to to remind me of God's greatest gift..the Lord Jesus Christ.

peace and blessings of the season and always :saint:

Tamararc
Dec 19th 2008, 04:00 AM
Romans 8:26
So too the Spirit comes to our aid and bears us up in our weakness; for we do not know what prayer to offer nor how to offer it worthily as we ought, but the Spirit Himself goes to meet our supplication and pleads in our behalf with unspeakable yearnings and groanings too deep for utterance.
---This is from an Amplified Topical Reference Bible [which I love!], but I have omitted the typical parenthetical definitions and etc to avoid confusion. :)

turtledove
Dec 19th 2008, 02:47 PM
"Then Jesus declared, "I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty."

Surely this Word of Jesus speaks to us today and is so comforting and encouraging.

peace and blessings of the season..:pray:

angelwind
Dec 22nd 2008, 02:40 PM
His Steadfast Love Endures Forever

136:1 Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good,
for his steadfast love endures forever.

2 Give thanks to the God of gods,

3 Give thanks to the Lord of lords,
for his steadfast love endures forever;

4 to him who alone does great wonders,

5 to him who by understanding made the heavens,

6 to him who spread out the earth above the waters,

7 to him who made the great lights,

8 the sun to rule over the day,

9 the moon and stars to rule over the night,

10 to him who struck down the firstborn of Egypt,

11 and brought Israel out from among them,

12 with a strong hand and an outstretched arm,

13 to him who divided the Red Sea in two,

14 and made Israel pass through the midst of it,

15 but overthrew [1] (http://www.gnpcb.org/esv/search/?q=Psalm+136#f1) Pharaoh and his host in the Red Sea,

16 to him who led his people through the wilderness,

17 to him who struck down great kings,

18 and killed mighty kings,

19 Sihon, king of the Amorites,

20 and Og, king of Bashan,

21 and gave their land as a heritage,

22 a heritage to Israel his servant,

23 It is he who remembered us in our low estate,

24 and rescued us from our foes,

25 he who gives food to all flesh,

26 Give thanks to the God of heaven,

I posted this entire Psalm today, it was one of my readings. Sometimes when we are low...feeling without strength...waiting for Him to give us strength....sometimes it is good to remember all the things He has done and continues to do...to give Him thanks...to remember His steadfast love endures forever.

turtledove
Dec 26th 2008, 04:33 PM
"And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely." (Rev. 21:6) (KJV)

I am using the last part of this scripture (on my other posts) as the scripture on my signature as we soon start 2009 with hope and peace in my heart for a good year in Christ.

Jesus is our way, our truth, and our life..indeed, the beginning and the end. :amen:

turtledove
Jan 2nd 2009, 02:50 PM
"He restores my soul,
He Leads me in the paths of righteousness
For His name's sake." (Psalm 23:3)

This verse from Psalm 23..speaks of a Shepherd who comforts and cares for each of us; one who knows our every need. He knows when we are weary and when we need rest. He knows when we need to be restored and refreshed. His response to each of us differs according to what our needs are.

As we are beginning 2009 we can be comforted and encouraged by this verse and thus be lead by Christ in the paths of His righteousnous.

For His name's sake..

Because He cares for His sheep. :pray::)

MercyChild
Jan 2nd 2009, 06:11 PM
1Pe 5:7 casting all your anxiety upon him, because he careth for you. (ASV):hug:

turtledove
Jan 3rd 2009, 02:05 AM
This is the verse that brought me to Christ. I was raised in church all my life and yet I had a mistaken preception of what salvation is. I thought that God accepted us on the grounds of our merit. I had went to the altar time after time and promised God a bunch of things that I just couldn't do, such as, "I'll never drink again," "I'll never cuss again," "I'll never lie again," etc. And I would find myself unable to keep these promises, so I got to the place that I was bitter towards God. You see, I thought that God just didn't want me, because I was serious with all the promises I made, but I didn't understand that, "It is not in man that walketh to direct his own steps." I really thought that God meant for me to go to hell, because I really gave it my best to keep all of my vain promises. Then one night in a little store front mission, I saw a congregation with the love and the Spirit of God all over them. I sat there in that home-made slatted pew angry because I couldn't be like them. I thought that God just didn't want me. I thought, God why can't I be like these people? Then the young preacher in the pulpit quoted John 16:24, "Hitherto have ye asked nothing in My name: ask, and ye shall receive, that your joy may be full." It was like the Holy Spirit sat down beside of me and said, "That's why you have never been saved. You've been trying to do it all by yourself and you've left Christ and His cross out of all your efforts." When the preacher said, "Every head bowed, and every eye closed, I ran to an old black mourner's bench in front of the pulpit in that little building and from my heart I told God that I hadn't come that night to promise anything, but rather to accept the promise that He had made to me. I told Him that I believed that He had given Christ to take my sin upon Himself and die in my place on Calvary's tree. I told Him that I trusted in His vicarious death, His burial, and in His glorious resurrection. And God spoke peace to my heart. That night I surrendered to my inability and trusted completely in Christs sufficiency. I have been saved every since! Bless His name!!!!!! Oh yeah, Remember, Charity never faileth! :hug:

PastorMike, this is a wonderful testimony which belongs in our testimonies section ..so I am moving it to that section where more will read it. It will appear there as a new thread. But, I am leaving it quoted above so others can read it here too. God bless you for sharing it with us. :)

Here is the link to it in the testimonies section.

http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php?t=153178

wiseoldowl..facilitator...C&E

CoffeeCat
Jan 3rd 2009, 02:54 AM
I was thinking of these ones, today. I was reminded that God is OUR God, always, and that He will love us and lead us through everything in our lives.... into eternity. :)

Romans 8:28 -- "And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose."

2 Corinthians 4:16-18 -- "Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal."

MercyChild
Jan 5th 2009, 03:53 PM
Pro 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
Pro 3:6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

angelwind
Jan 5th 2009, 07:24 PM
Now to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling, and to present you faultless before the presence of His glory with exceeding joy,

To God our Saviour
Who alone is wise,
Be glory and majesty,
Dominion and power,
Both now and forever,
Amen.

What a God we have...what a promise!!!!!!!

turtledove
Jan 6th 2009, 11:45 AM
Psalm 94:19 "In the multitude of my anxieties within me, Your comforts delight my soul."

God is our comforter. He doesn't forsake us. He is faithful.

JesusReignsForever
Jan 7th 2009, 01:18 AM
I thank God for this thread...finally some peace for the storm....

thank you Jesus...and wiseoldowl

You just dont know what a blessing this has been to my broken spirit.

turtledove
Jan 7th 2009, 12:14 PM
Here's a scripture to go with the previous poster's post since one isn't included.

"Your Word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path." (Ps. 119:105, NIV).

Whatever we are going through it is comforting to know that His Word is lighting the path for us.

owl :)

cross crusader
Jan 7th 2009, 08:50 PM
Here's a scripture to go with the previous poster's post since one isn't included.

"Your Word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path." (Ps. 119:105, NIV).

Whatever we are going through it is comforting to know that His Word is lighting the path for us.

owl :)
amen praise the lord

MercyChild
Jan 8th 2009, 12:19 AM
This is such a great thread, how much I needed to come back to read this great scriptures in here tonight! Thank you so much for everyone that shared scriptures here.:hug:

MercyChild
Jan 8th 2009, 10:22 AM
1Co 10:13 There isn't any temptation that you have experienced which is unusual for humans. God, who faithfully keeps his promises, will not allow you to be tempted beyond your power to resist. But when you are tempted, he will also give you the ability to endure the temptation as your way of escape. :pp

militarywife
Jan 8th 2009, 01:55 PM
1Pe 5:10 And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you.
I needed to hear this today. Restore, Confirm, STRENGTHEN, and ESTABLISH you is SUCH a wonderful promise. Thank you Lord.:hug:

turtledove
Jan 9th 2009, 01:22 PM
Justing saying thanks to all who share scriptures in this thread and how they have blessed you.

Please keep it up. Many who don't even post on our forum read them and are encouraged and comforted.

Comfort and encouragement is really not the counseling section of the forum. The purpose here is to share encouragement and comfort with one another by sharing scriptures, stories, poems, and items of inspiration.. and a very good way to do that is to share the scriptures on a daily basis. Some come who are looking for encouragement which is fine; but so often people come here because they want advice or counseling. Then I have to move them into the counseling section And some, like those of you on this thread..come not only to receive but to give to others. Thanks for giving...

Here is a scripture to encourage all of you givers here today.

Luke 6:38 "Give and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you." (NIV)

wiseoldowl C&E facilitator...

angelwind
Jan 9th 2009, 02:35 PM
12 Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him.

turtledove
Jan 12th 2009, 02:50 PM
"... Abraham, when called to go to a place he would later receive as his inheritance, obeyed and went, even though he did not know where he was going." (Hebrews 11:8)

I find this scripture about Abraham comforting in that God promised to take him to a place where he would later receive his inheritance and that in obedience Abraham went. Of course the words which ring loudest to me are "..he did not know where he was going." :)

[Lord God of Abraham and my God..grant me the courage and discernment to see the light on my path..help me to go where you want me to go even though I don't always know just where that is. Help me to trust in the guidance of your Holy Spirit. :amen: ]

angelwind
Jan 12th 2009, 09:15 PM
For You, Lord, are good,

And ready to forgive;

Abundant in mercy to all those who call upon You.

I have been fascinated by what is spoken of the Lord and His goodness in scripture...here we read: because the Lord is GOOD...He is ready to forgive.

Lord help us always to remember Your goodness...help us always to go to You with our sins...confessing them to You quickly, humbly, sincerely...knowing You are already "there" for us...ready to forgive.

Oregongrown
Jan 13th 2009, 10:08 PM
Thank you for this thread WOO:) I shared this one earlier on another thread but maybe here would be good too. I came across it in a little verse book someone gave me about a year ago. It's called "God's Promises for your every need". Sometimes it is easier for me to pick it up and look for my need in the list and go right to the verse. I am not well read enough in the bible yet to be able to find them there that easy.

Fear not, for I am with you;
Be not dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you,
Yes, I will help you,
I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.
Isaiah 41:10

Dear Father in heaven, thank you for giving me Your Word this a.m. when I needed it so desparatly. Thank you for Your kids that helped me through. Thank you most for your righteous right hand which I believe to be Jesus:) Praise you Father and grant me the wisdom to help others, as well as the willingness to say yes when you call me into service. In the precious name of Jesus, amen

Some time ago one of our members here asked we share with him scriptures of comfort and encouragement. That thread has long been inactive so I thought it would be good to start a new one in which we take turns sharing with one another for our edification and blessing at least one of our favorite scriptures of Comfort and/or Encouragement. Follow with a prayer if you like.

I'll start with one of my favorites - one which does comfort and encourage me. :saint:

John 14:27 (Words of Jesus) "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."

My prayer is: [Lord Jesus, thank you for the peace which the world does not give.] :pray:

Please share one of yours..more if you like and more than once on the thread if you feel so inclined.

wiseoldowl :)

turtledove
Jan 16th 2009, 12:19 PM
[For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater:
So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.
For ye shall go out with joy, and be led forth with peace: the mountains and the hills shall break forth before you into singing, and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands.] (Isaiah 55:10-12) (KJV)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When God's Word goes forth it is as rain and snow and as seed and as bread to those who receive it..

God's Word is living and never void nor empty. It does accomplish what God wills.

I especially find it amazing to ponder the last verse(12) in the above quote from Isaiah..The hills are really alive with the 'sound of music' and this was written long before Rodgers and Hamerstein wrote theirs..:hmm:Can't you just picture all of the trees of the field clapping their hands in the wind. :spin:

And we shall go out with joy and surely be led with peace. :bible::thumbsup::yes:

Rudy190
Jan 17th 2009, 10:19 PM
1 Peter 5:7 "Casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you."

This is my favorite Scripture verse. To me, it says that if we give everything to God, He will take care of it, because He cares for us. How comforting that is!

turtledove
Jan 17th 2009, 11:12 PM
1 Peter 5:7 "Casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you."

This is my favorite Scripture verse. To me, it says that if we give everything to God, He will take care of it, because He cares for us. How comforting that is!

Yes, very comforting. Welcome to bibleforums, Rudy!

turtledove
Jan 19th 2009, 05:13 PM
During these times of economic distress these words speak to me!

"And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4:19, RSV):bible:

angelwind
Jan 20th 2009, 04:30 PM
Now may the God of peace who brought up our Lord Jesus from the dead,
that great Shepherd of the sheep,
through the blood of the everlasting covenant,

make you complete in every good work to do His will,
working in you what is well pleasing in His sight,
to whom be glory forever and ever. Amen.

He 20-21

turtledove
Jan 25th 2009, 02:19 PM
Jesus has taught us: Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called the sons of God. (Matt 5:9, NIV)

So when we bring peace into a situation we are then blessed by God.

Encouraging words. :) Thanks be to God! :pray:

angelwind
Jan 27th 2009, 07:16 PM
Ephesians 6:12-13 (Amplified Bible)

12For we are not wrestling with flesh and blood [contending only with physical opponents], but against the despotisms, against the powers, against [the master spirits who are] the world rulers of this present darkness, against the spirit forces of wickedness in the heavenly (supernatural) sphere.
13Therefore put on God's complete armor, that you may be able to resist and stand your ground on the evil day [of danger], and, having done all [the crisis demands], to stand [firmly in your place].

Daniel 4:17 (Amplified Bible)

17This sentence is by the decree of the [heavenly] watchers and the decision is by the word of the holy ones, to the intent that the living may know that the Most High [God] rules the kingdom of mankind and gives it to whomever He will and sets over it the humblest and lowliest of men.(A (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Daniel%204:17;&version=45;#cen-AMP-21855A))

Cross references:

Daniel 4:17 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Daniel%204:17;&version=45;#en-AMP-21855) : Dan 2:21; 5:21 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Dan%202:21;%205:21%20&version=45)

Daniel 4:34-35 (Amplified Bible)

34And at the end of the days [seven years], I, Nebuchadnezzar, lifted up my eyes to heaven, and my understanding and the right use of my mind returned to me; and I blessed the Most High [God] and I praised and honored and glorified Him Who lives forever, Whose dominion is an everlasting dominion; and His kingdom endures from generation to generation.
35And all the inhabitants of the earth are accounted as nothing. And He does according to His will in the host of heaven and among the inhabitants of the earth, and none can stay His hand or say to Him, What are You doing?

It is good to remind ourselves of the invisible battle we face every day as Christians in a fallen world...and what we are to do about it...that is learn to put on the armor of God...not fleshly worldly armor.

I also cannot read enough or think enough of God's sovereignty over all the affairs of nations and men...He is reigning even now!!! AMEN!!!

Live links are to BibleGateway...:)

turtledove
Jan 29th 2009, 01:29 PM
"Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you."

1 Peter 5:7 (NIV)

This verse really spoke to me this morning. I know that no matter what this day brings I can cast all anxiety (and fear) on the rock who is Jesus Christ..because of His loving kindness and because He cares for me!

Encouraging scripture! :amen:

turtledove
Feb 4th 2009, 02:17 PM
"The Name of the LORD is a strong tower; the righteous run to it and are safe." (Proverbs 18:10)

Lord, help me to seek this tower in which I am safe..the power of your Name. Jesus..Christ...Lord...Savior...King..

:amen:

angelwind
Feb 6th 2009, 05:19 PM
Amplified Bible (AMP)

View commentary related to this passage (http://www.biblegateway.com/resources/commentaries/?action=getCommentaryText&cid=55&source=2&seq=i.54.4.1)

7However, we possess this precious treasure [the divine Light of the Gospel] in [frail, human] vessels of earth, that the grandeur and exceeding greatness of the power may be shown to be from God and not from ourselves.
8We are hedged in (pressed) on every side [troubled and oppressed in every way], but not cramped or crushed; we suffer embarrassments and are perplexed and unable to find a way out, but not driven to despair;
9We are pursued (persecuted and hard driven), but not deserted [to stand alone]; we are struck down to the ground, but never struck out and destroyed;
10Always carrying about in the body the liability and exposure to the same putting to death that the Lord Jesus suffered, so that the [[a (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2%20Corinthians%204:7-10;&version=47;45;#fen-ESV-en-AMP-28868a)]resurrection] life of Jesus also may be shown forth by and in our bodies.

Footnotes:

2 Corinthians 4:10 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2%20Corinthians%204:7-10;&version=47;45;#en-ESV-en-AMP-28868) Marvin Vincent, Word Studies.

Amplified Bible (http://www.biblegateway.com/versions/?action=getVersionInfo&vid=45) (AMP) Copyright © 1954, 1958, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1987 by The Lockman Foundation (http://www.lockman.org/)
http://www.biblegateway.com/bg_versions/bgview.php?what=54 (http://www.biblegateway.com/bg_versions/bgclick.php?what=54) http://www.biblegateway.com/bg_versions/bgview.php?what=3 (http://www.biblegateway.com/bg_versions/bgclick.php?what=3) http://www.biblegateway.com/bg_versions/bgview.php?what=1 (http://www.biblegateway.com/bg_versions/bgclick.php?what=1) http://www.biblegateway.com/bg_versions/bgview.php?what=2 (http://www.biblegateway.com/bg_versions/bgclick.php?what=2)

Life can get very difficult for us as believers in the Gospel...knowing ourselves to be in the will of God "anyway"...in spite of problems gives us strength to face our particular circumstances.

I love Paul for saying he was not deserted...even though he may have felt that way and many of his "friends"...did leave him...still he knew he was not alone and he was living in God's will...not fearing to look weak in other men's eyes...but rejoicing that the power displayed in his life was from God...not himself.

Lord help us to step aside and let Your glory be the center of attention in our hearts and our will...truly... by Your grace and mercy.

turtledove
Feb 12th 2009, 01:19 PM
Therefore, humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time, casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you. 1 Peter 5:6,7 (NKJV)

:pray:

He cares! :pp

angelwind
Feb 13th 2009, 06:11 PM
Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God! Therefore the world does not know us, because it did not know Him.

Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is.

I thought these verses were good for the day before Valentine's day...they were in my Spurgeon devotional this morning.

All of us who are in Christ are children of God...Now...we are not orphans, we belong to Someone, we have a Father...a Father who wants us...we are accepted in the Beloved...He made us so by His grace, just because He wanted to...and who can argue with God???...

Lord I pray that Your children would be able to hear and receive this truth more and more ... cause it to bear much fruit in our lives...drawing us closer and closer to You in fellowship and giving us strength and joy to share You with others.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i211/stillwaters_2006/Smilies/godisluv.gif

turtledove
Feb 15th 2009, 02:38 PM
This speaks for itself: :amen:

God is faithful.:)

"Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for his compasions never fail. They are new every morning, great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, 'The Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait for him.'"

"Though he brings grief, he will show compassion, so great is his unfailing love." (NIV) :pray:

turtledove
Feb 21st 2009, 01:39 PM
"We do not belong to the night or to the darkness." (I Thessolonians 5:5b)

Yes, we belong to the light which is Christ, the one who shines in the darkness.

Thanks be to God! :amen:

angelwind
Mar 4th 2009, 09:03 PM
Though I walk in the midst of trouble, You will revive me; You will stretch out Your hand against the wrath of my enemies, and Your right hand will save me.

The Lord will perfect that which concerns me; Your mercy, O Lord, endures forever; do not forsake the work of Your hands.

It is very comforting to know...to believe...to expect the Lord's help when we are walking along in troubled times...in the dark, past human wisdom...He sees, He knows and He will revive us. It is best to wait for Him than run to alternative comforts that might make things worse in the long run.

elle_kay
Mar 5th 2009, 04:55 PM
After having spent most of the morning reading the verses posted here, I'll add some and pray you'll be as blessed as I have been! (all verses NASB)

Isaiah 25:

1O LORD, You are my God;
I will exalt You, I will give thanks to Your name;
For You have worked wonders,
Plans formed long ago, with perfect faithfulness.

*sigh* perfectly faithful- that's our God!

9And it will be said in that day,
"Behold, this is our God for whom we have waited that He might save us
This is the LORD for whom we have waited;
Let us rejoice and be glad in His salvation.

Isaiah 25:9...it's my life verse. I cannot even begin to count the things for which I have waited, and some things for which I continue to wait. But my Lord, who is perfectly faithful, will bring about "that day" and I will say those words again.

Bob Fitts did a wonderful song years ago called "He Will Save You". I cry every time I hear it...it reminds me of this verse and tells me who I serve!

moonglow
Mar 5th 2009, 07:58 PM
This is a video on Matthew 6:22 (Psalm 103) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aRKtl76jKo)

Wonderful music..this young man is oriental so the music is in another language. ...He lives in the UK does alot of video on the persecution of Christians in other countries.

God bless

turtledove
Mar 6th 2009, 01:45 PM
Sharing some scriptures on the kindness of God: :)

Psalm 31:21 KJV (http://www.tnivbible.com/bible/passagesearch.php?passage_request=Psalm 31:21&kjv=yes) Chapter (http://www.tnivbible.com/bible/passagesearch.php?passage_request=Psalm 31&kjv=yes)
Blessed be the LORD: for he hath shewed me his marvellous kindness in a strong city.

Psalm 117:2 KJV (http://www.tnivbible.com/bible/passagesearch.php?passage_request=Psalm 117:2&kjv=yes) Chapter (http://www.tnivbible.com/bible/passagesearch.php?passage_request=Psalm 117&kjv=yes)
For his merciful kindness is great toward us: and the truth of the LORD endureth for ever. Praise ye the LORD.

Psalm 141:5a KJV (http://www.tnivbible.com/bible/passagesearch.php?passage_request=Psalm 141:5&kjv=yes)
Let the righteous smite me; it shall be a kindness: and let him reprove me; it shall be an excellent oil, which shall not break my head:

Isaiah 54:10 KJV (http://www.tnivbible.com/bible/passagesearch.php?passage_request=Isaiah 54:10&kjv=yes)
For the mountains shall depart, and the hills be removed; but my kindness shall not depart from thee, neither shall the covenant of my peace be removed, saith the LORD that hath mercy on thee.

Thanks be to you, our loving God, for your everlasting kindness. :pray:

beachbum53
Mar 11th 2009, 07:22 PM
One I remember at work when attitudes are 'jumping'

God is opposed to the proud, but gives grace to the humble

James 4:6

Isaiah 55

8"For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways My ways," declares the LORD.
9"For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are My ways higher than your ways
And My thoughts than your thoughts.

11So will My word be which goes forth from My mouth;
It will not return to Me empty,
Without accomplishing what I desire,

When I'm troubled about why things happen...God is in control

turtledove
Mar 11th 2009, 08:38 PM
Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing. 1Thes.5:11(RSV) :)

turtledove
Mar 26th 2009, 03:26 PM
:bible:This scripture really encouraged me this morning: :)

"But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, the home of righteousness." (2 Peter 2:13, NIV) :spin:

angelwind
Apr 9th 2009, 03:15 PM
Samuel's encouragement to Israel after they asked for a king to rule over them:

And Samuel said to the people, "Do not fear. You have committed all this evil, yet do not turn aside from following the Lord, but serve the Lord with all your heart.

"And you must not turn aside, for then you would go after futile things which cannot profit or deliver, because they are futile.

"For the Lord will not abandon His people on account of His great name,
because the Lord has been pleased to make you a people for Himself.

When the Lord is dealing with us...giving us the grace to realize our sins against Him, against others as well as ourselves...it can be overwhelming; but this is His mercy being poured out upon us...to help us repent and draw closer to Him. It is time to know how truly good He is and how truly dependant we are upon Him.

turtledove
Jun 30th 2009, 02:09 PM
This encourages me as I trust in God's Word and promise.

I will remember my covenant between me and you and all living creatures of every kind. Never again will the waters become a flood to destroy all life. (Genesis 9:15, NIV)

:blushhap: