PDA

View Full Version : Scripture passages to encourage the poor

sapphire904
Oct 21st 2008, 04:49 PM
Good Morning!
My husband and I want to give bagged lunches out to the homeless in Manhattan this weekend. I've lived there and know that there is an abundance that are in need of a good meal and saving Grace. We would like to include a card with scripture in the bags to maybe lead them to Jesus or encouage them (whatever the Holy Spirit wants to use them for). Does anyone have suggestions on what we can print on these cards? I was thinking of a small testimony or passage, whatever...any ideas are greatly appreciated. :hmm:

Elouise
Oct 21st 2008, 05:02 PM
For those who are truly poor the compassion of Christ in giving them food, the warmth of a smile who looks on them and sees them as humans worthy of care, someone who builds up a relationship that asks 'how are you today?' so that they wonder who this may be who has come to care for them.

From experience of working with the most needy, they will not even read the scriptures their needs are so great they will only be able to focus on the food and maybe the person who gives it to them.
You need to witness Christ through acts of compassion so they have enough that they can begin to listen.

Even Christ meet raw human need before preaching.

jponb
Oct 22nd 2008, 02:58 AM
Come to Me all who are burden and heavy laden and I will give you rest.

σяєяυииєя
Oct 22nd 2008, 06:09 PM
The LORD also will be a refuge for the oppressed, a refuge in times of trouble. Psalm 9:9

He delivereth the poor in his affliction, and openeth their ears in oppression. Job 36:15

For the needy shall not always be forgotten: the expectation of the poor shall not perish for ever. Psalm 9:18

Arise, O LORD; O God, lift up thine hand: forget not the humble. Psalm 10:12

For the oppression of the poor, for the sighing of the needy, now will I arise, saith the LORD; I will set him in safety from him that puffeth at him. Psalm 12:5

This poor man cried, and the LORD heard him, and saved him out of all his troubles. Psalm 34:6

Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Matthew 5:3

-----------------------------------------

For ye have the poor with you always, and whensoever ye will ye may do them good: Mark 14.7

God bless

unkerns
Oct 22nd 2008, 07:12 PM
Jesus said go out into the world and make diciples, use the opportunity to really diciple them and help them along the way.

Jeffinator
Oct 29th 2008, 05:51 AM
Luke 12:13
Then one from the crowd said to Him, "Teacher tell my brother to divide the inheritance with me"
Jesus replied, "Man, who made me a judge or an arbitrator over you?"
Then He said to them, "take heed and beware of covetousness, for one's life does not consist in the abundance of the things he possesses."

SpokenFor
Oct 29th 2008, 05:55 PM
I think it is important to remember that we don't repent and trust in Christ for a Life Enhancement, but because of what is to come. A clear presentation of the law to convince them of their sins and then the good news of the gospel is all that is needed.

Great idea on the bagged lunches. When I lived in NYC I would often give away my own bagged lunch or snack when people would beg on the subway rather than give money (which I usually didn't carry cash anyway).
Blessings

David Taylor
Oct 31st 2008, 03:56 PM
Good Morning!
My husband and I want to give bagged lunches out to the homeless in Manhattan this weekend. I've lived there and know that there is an abundance that are in need of a good meal and saving Grace. We would like to include a card with scripture in the bags to maybe lead them to Jesus or encouage them (whatever the Holy Spirit wants to use them for). Does anyone have suggestions on what we can print on these cards? I was thinking of a small testimony or passage, whatever...any ideas are greatly appreciated. :hmm:

Probably the most common passage our Room-in-the-Inn homeless ministry shares is this one:

Matthew 25:34 "Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. "

David Taylor
Oct 31st 2008, 04:00 PM
Here is another one from the Psalms that can be an interesting devoational as well, kinda a self-check in how we are accountable for ministering to the poor:

Psalms 31:14 "What then shall I do when God riseth up? and when he visiteth, what shall I answer him? Did not he that made me in the womb make him? and did not one fashion us in the womb? If I have withheld the poor from their desire, or have caused the eyes of the widow to fail; Or have eaten my morsel myself alone, and the fatherless hath not eaten thereof; (For from my youth he was brought up with me, as with a father, and I have guided her from my mother's womb;) If I have seen any perish for want of clothing, or any poor without covering; If his loins have not blessed me, and if he were not warmed with the fleece of my sheep; If I have lifted up my hand against the fatherless, when I saw my help in the gate: Then let mine arm fall from my shoulder blade, and mine arm be broken from the bone. "

A very thought-provoking, and selfless Psalm about provide for others beyond ourselves.