PDA

View Full Version : ALL Scripture is God Breathed-Help Needed

tt1106
Oct 23rd 2008, 01:14 PM
So yesterday at Bible Study, we concentrated on 2 Timothy 3:16. The question came up: Paul obviously could not have been referring to NT scripture, because it was not considered scripture and hadnít been written at this point, so why do we attribute this verse to ALL scripture including NT.

My answer: Although Paul was referring to the OT, or probably referring to the OT, You can still apply this same test to the NT. The NT is God- inspired because the Holy Spirit testifies to itís accuracy. None of the Authors of the OT KNEW their writings would be adopted into scripture either, but God still inspired the writing, Just as he did with NT authors. Many Scholars were able to compare NT writings with OT writings and see that the NT is the OT revealed. In the end it comes down to Faith and believing that God blessed the canonization of the scriptures.

I feel as if my answer is insufficient and I would like some help in my defense. Thank you in advance.

Slug1
Oct 23rd 2008, 01:26 PM
Here's my opinion on this :rolleyes: :lol:

Many are of the mind set that "God said" while they should be of the mind set of "God is saying".

So what 'God said" back then through His apostles and disciples as they were led by the Holy Spirit and is now 'The Bible' is God continuing to speak to us today and into tomorrow. So God is... saying!

God knew the purpose of His words and the fact that those men He used may not have known that all would be recorded for us over 2000 years later... IMO, don't matter. All that matters is what God is saying... now, as His words in The Word speaks (not spoke) to us!

Firefighter
Oct 23rd 2008, 03:19 PM
While I believe that the NT is the inspired Word of God, you cannot apply that scripture to the NT.

Bible translation 101 -
Step 1 - Plain literal meaning (unless textual reason suggests otherwise),
Step 2 - What would the original hearers of the scripture understood it to mean?

The original audience understood it to mean the OT, the author obviously meant it to be understood as the OT, so that is where we have to leave it. While it is certainly true, we cannot use 2 Timothy 3:16 as a prooftext and retain any level of intellectual honesty.

Butch5
Oct 23rd 2008, 04:26 PM
So yesterday at Bible Study, we concentrated on 2 Timothy 3:16. The question came up: Paul obviously could not have been referring to NT scripture, because it was not considered scripture and hadnít been written at this point, so why do we attribute this verse to ALL scripture including NT.

My answer: Although Paul was referring to the OT, or probably referring to the OT, You can still apply this same test to the NT. The NT is God- inspired because the Holy Spirit testifies to itís accuracy. None of the Authors of the OT KNEW their writings would be adopted into scripture either, but God still inspired the writing, Just as he did with NT authors. Many Scholars were able to compare NT writings with OT writings and see that the NT is the OT revealed. In the end it comes down to Faith and believing that God blessed the canonization of the scriptures.

I feel as if my answer is insufficient and I would like some help in my defense. Thank you in advance.

Urban Missionary may be correct in his understanding of the Scripture, however we do not need to use 2 Timothy 3:16 to show that all Scripture is inspired. Jesus said this to the disciples,

John 16:12-13 ( KJV ) 12I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now. 13Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will show you things to come.

And Paul said,

Galatians 1:10-12 ( KJV ) 10For do I now persuade men, or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ. 11But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man. 12For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.

tt1106
Oct 23rd 2008, 10:24 PM
Thanks All. That helps alot. Especially the scripture.

Levin
Nov 5th 2008, 09:02 AM
So, here's a really fun verse when it comes to inspiriation: 2 Peter 3:15-16

And count the patience of our Lord as salvation, just as our beloved brother Paul also wrote to you according to the wisdom given him, as he does in all his letters when he speaks in them of these matters. There are some things in them that are hard to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction, as they do the other Scriptures.

Here Peter puts the letters of Paul on the same level as the rest of the Scriptures! Already in the 1st century an apostle affirms that there is new inspired writings of God. This should help any discussions about the inspiration of the NT.

Have fun,
Levin

Lamplighter
Nov 5th 2008, 07:16 PM
So, here's a really fun verse when it comes to inspiriation: 2 Peter 3:15-16

And count the patience of our Lord as salvation, just as our beloved brother Paul also wrote to you according to the wisdom given him, as he does in all his letters when he speaks in them of these matters. There are some things in them that are hard to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction, as they do the other Scriptures.

Here Peter puts the letters of Paul on the same level as the rest of the Scriptures! Already in the 1st century an apostle affirms that there is new inspired writings of God. This should help any discussions about the inspiration of the NT.

Have fun,
Levin

Awesome Bible verse.

Peter confirms Paul's letters as being scripture.