PDA

View Full Version : Discussion Stocking up for the times ahead...

JesusMySavior
Oct 23rd 2008, 08:23 PM
Hey brothers and sisters,

I've had some things on my mind for awhile now and I'd like to spill them out so I can get some second thoughts/opinions/scriptures so I can maybe sort this out. I feel as if God is leading me in a different direction than He was in the past few months but I want to be sure, though I really do feel Him and His peace on me.

Here's my thoughts for the past couple months.

I truly believe we are in the end times, with all of my heart. I believe that the world is in economic turmoil because it is being set up for the final one world government. I know the Lord is so near and I'm anxious for His return. For this reason however I've become distraught and apathetic about our nation (USA), because we've smited God, turned our backs we're striving to be another Egypt or Sodom and Gomorrah. "Rain down judgment on the guilty ones", is my heart's cry. I still pray for a turn-around but I don't believe it's what I want deep down because I just want to see my Savior coming in the clouds.

But I was praying today and a man was on TV that seemed genuine. He wasn't over the top saying prophecies about America but he just knew in his heart that God would move if we were honest with Him. So I prayed as he did on TV and something just clicked. And that thing has been on my mind all day which is why I'm posting.

Now, concerning the end times, I will say that I don't believe wholeheartedly in a pre-trib rapture. It could still happen before the tribulation, and if it does, praise Jesus! But more and more I'm seeing people using it as an excuse from being a real Christian. Christ also said there would be heavy persecution in the last days. Well, if all the Christians are gone, who are they going to persecute?! Also read 1 Corinthians 15:52.

Anyways (sorry I'm preaching), I've been stocking up food and supplies not only for the economic collapse, but also for the time where I can't buy or sell without the mark. My friend has been telling me that it's more on the side of foolishness than it is on the side of wisdom. He says that God will provide in those times if we are to stay behind. I believe that. But I also believe that God tells us to have wisdom and commands us to "know when it is near". So I've been purchasing things for my "emergency boxes" every time I go grocery shopping. But lately, God's been quietly tugging on my heart, and I feel Him saying "Jared, don't worry...;) I will provide for you."

The way I take it is, God is not saying that we won't face tribulation or persecution - but in those times, God will provide for us. So basically, be wise about the situation, but don't lose sleep over it.

I feel some unusual peace about it all. It's His will be done, not mine.

What do you guys think of stocking up for the end times and praying for America? What's best and wise?

:saint:

daughter
Oct 23rd 2008, 09:00 PM
You should certainly pray for your nation... it's the country God placed you in, and you are to be a watch man in it.

Other than that... I don't know. I felt called to stock pile earlier this year, and I've been laughing since, my job came to an end, but I've not run out of food, since I bought several months worth of staples. So, thank God I stockpiled! Not that it's the end of the world, necessarily, but I can now feed two people for under ten pounds a week for the next few months, until I get a job, or God sorts something else out.

You know... trust your instincts. He really does know what He's telling you.

Saved!
Oct 23rd 2008, 09:09 PM
I used to stockpile. Not now. When I really thought about it, I couldn't realistically save up enough stuff to provide for 3.5 years for:

Me, My husband, My son, My Mom and Dad, My brother and his family, my husband's family, my aunts and uncles, my friends, my neighbors, and my church family.

Which of those, if hungry, would I turn away?

No, no....best for me to trust that God will provide. If He decides to leave me here and I am to die for Him during the tribulation...well, I'd rather just go on to be with Him at the same time as all of the people on this Earth that are dear to me.

Ethnikos
Oct 23rd 2008, 09:26 PM
Keep in mind that during the reign of terror, from the French Revolution, the majority of people killed were for the offense of "hording". It was made illegal to hold back any food for yourself and if they found food in your house, they would kill you.
Canned food may be the only way to keep food because the government has detectors for sniffing out drugs that can be used to find any kind of food. If you had some well hidden cans, you may be able to keep them. You would have to sterilize your old cans and hide those too.

JesusMySavior
Oct 23rd 2008, 09:33 PM
Keep in mind that during the reign of terror, from the French Revolution, the majority of people killed were for the offense of "hording". It was made illegal to hold back any food for yourself and if they found food in your house, they would kill you.
Canned food may be the only way to keep food because the government has detectors for sniffing out drugs that can be used to find any kind of food. If you had some well hidden cans, you may be able to keep them. You would have to sterilize your old cans and hide those too.

haha that's intense. almost conspiracy theory-esque.

so stock piling for the time of the MOTB would be fruitless, you think?

Ethnikos
Oct 23rd 2008, 09:59 PM
haha that's intense. almost conspiracy theory-esque.

so stock piling for the time of the MOTB would be fruitless, you think?
They were talking about these devices, this morning on the Power Hour radio show. They had some guests on who got arrested for bringing raw chocolate across the border from Canada, by these detectors.
It would be a good idea to have enough food to keep you going until they tell you to turn in your food. After that, you would need to be sneaky. Unless you live out in the woods or something, having three years worth of food may not work out too well. Everyone should probably have to have a couple months worth. I knew someone who lived through a revolution in South America and you could not leave your house without risking your life. People were sneaking food to their neighbors who had no food. So, you have to think about having some that you can share.

Richard H
Oct 23rd 2008, 10:28 PM
If you are going to stock up a bit:

A really good gravity flow water filter (& replacements) and containers.
Camp lanterns and wicks. No kerosene, but lamp oil. (less indoor pollution)
Flint and knife.
Some sort of stove - don't burn any lumber yard wood - it contains toxic chemicals - treated or not.
Bicycle.
Seek His leading and exercise your faith.
In the end, we walk by faith. :)

tundra
Oct 24th 2008, 12:45 AM
Really good and pertinent question JesusMySavior. We've also felt the need to prepare for the times to come. Nothing crazy though because our faith is in the Lord that He will provide. As for how we've been preparing though, we have felt led to start upsizing our garden and have been canning recently. If something would hit, I really want to be able to share with my neighbors as much as possible too. Another thing we've felt led of the Lord to do was put in a wood burner. Not only will it help with high propane heating bills, the wood burner would also come in handy for cooking / heating in tougher times. Of course though, seek the Lord and He will lead you - I'm sure His plan is not the same for everyone :)

I consider the items that Richard H has mentioned as being a wise move for anyone, you never know when you might have a prolonged power outage or similar and those type of items would come in extremely handy. In fact, about a month ago here in Ohio hundreds of thousands of people lost power due to a large wind storm for 1+ week! Many people had a tough time as you could imagine, because they were not prepared for it.

Trying to store up 3.5 years of food supplies however, would be way overkill and not advised IMHO. Our trust is in the Lord and not a surplus of food, AMEN. After prayer and seeking the Lord's face, I firmly believe there will be a day in my lifetime when food will be so short that the Lord will grant miracles (like the multiplication of the loaves and fish) to feed His people. Like our brother Richard stated above - The just shall live by faith! :)

God Bless,
Matt

Nihil Obstat
Oct 24th 2008, 01:13 AM
I'll say two quick things. 1) The church will have to learn to live as a community in those days, as in Acts. And 2) Worship instruments. Seriously important when demons are roaming the earth unveiled and raging, and people still worship them. - Lk.11

Dani H
Oct 24th 2008, 01:22 AM
If you are going to stock up a bit:

A really good gravity flow water filter (& replacements) and containers.
Camp lanterns and wicks. No kerosene, but lamp oil. (less indoor pollution)
Flint and knife.
Some sort of stove - don't burn any lumber yard wood - it contains toxic chemicals - treated or not.
Bicycle.
Seek His leading and exercise your faith.
In the end, we walk by faith. :)

For those of us who live in Florida, the Plywood State, that's normal hurricane season preparedness. :lol:

JesusMySavior
Oct 24th 2008, 01:27 AM
I'll say two quick things. 1) The church will have to learn to live as a community in those days, as in Acts. And 2) Worship instruments. Seriously important when demons are roaming the earth unveiled and raging, and people still worship them. - Lk.11

Amen for the worship instruments! Gotta remember my acoustic guitar and a djembe! They are weapons of warfare, Amen!

Also, I know a lot of food perishes and it's very expensive to buy all of this canned food, is there a better way to preserve, and better yet, how do you can (verb) cooked food?

Saved!
Oct 24th 2008, 01:33 AM
My husband's aunt canned plenty of cooked foods. In fact, she always made extra vegetable beef soup to can.

You should talk to your county's agricultural extention agency to get the how-tos.

My husband's aunt used a simple water bath canning method. But, many foods are said to require pressure canning to ensure safety. You'd need to look into all of this.

tundra
Oct 24th 2008, 01:43 AM
Amen for the worship instruments! Gotta remember my acoustic guitar and a djembe! They are weapons of warfare, Amen!

Also, I know a lot of food perishes and it's very expensive to buy all of this canned food, is there a better way to preserve, and better yet, how do you can (verb) cooked food?

Actually by planning ahead and planting a garden one shouldn't have to spend much money on canning (other than the actual jars / tops which will not break the bank).

Here is a pretty good site I found that should help out, it's all about canning from the National Center for Home Food Preservation http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_home.html

Also a good suggestion on musical instruments. Now I just need to learn how to play one hahaha (I don't have much musical talent whatsoever, but I wish I did!) :hmm: Eh, maybe I'll just stick to what I'm gifted at LOL and pray the Lord will send over some brothers and sisters with some muscial talent and a guitar :D

Ethnikos
Oct 24th 2008, 01:53 AM
For those of us who live in Florida, the Plywood State, that's normal hurricane season preparedness. :lol:
I live at ground zero of Hurricane Charley. I had to live like that for seven weeks. If you have the money you can order an Aladdin lamp from Lehman's. They burn really hot and do not make soot. The Big Burke water filter will make rain water drinkable. The water was bad because of the lack of power, after the hurricane. I cooked with a propane stove.
Martial law is no fun and the National Guard look like they are ready to shoot people. My girlfriend got arrested walking about a hundred yards from the house, after curfew (she was bare foot and wearing a dress with no pockets) and ended up staying in jail for a month.

immortality
Oct 24th 2008, 02:09 AM
i think i may soon buy some non-perishable foods. but i am not currently worried about it at all.

god will indeed provide for ourselves and anyone we pray for during these upcoming times. intercessory prayer will prove to be the most powerful thing on the planet - a weapon most of humanity will unfortunately not wield.

we will ask, and we will receive. we will ask on the behalf of our family and friends in other parts of the country, and they will receive. it will be a beautiful thing which will only result in the glorification of god.

i also believe the upcoming times will be full of unprecedented angelic activity. we should be particularly reluctant to make sure we are "entertaining strangers unaware"...

wombat
Oct 24th 2008, 03:07 AM
Hi, JesusMySavior! One thing you might also consider is dehydrated foods. I have a dehydrator that I use for my garden herbs and fruits, and I find that the dehydrated foods keep for quite some time--if I can keep from snacking on them long enough, that is! :spin: It's also pretty easy compared to canning, often times less expensive too. And, even if you don't have a dehydrator, you can use your oven to dry foods, and things like herbs can be hung up to dry without any oven or machine at all.

David161099
Oct 24th 2008, 08:21 AM
My girlfriend got arrested walking about a hundred yards from the house, after curfew (she was bare foot and wearing a dress with no pockets) and ended up staying in jail for a month.

Wow, that's hardcore bad luck! :o

No, I'd imagine Martial Law would be terrible!

daughter
Oct 24th 2008, 08:38 AM
I live at ground zero of Hurricane Charley. I had to live like that for seven weeks. If you have the money you can order an Aladdin lamp from Lehman's. They burn really hot and do not make soot. The Big Burke water filter will make rain water drinkable. The water was bad because of the lack of power, after the hurricane. I cooked with a propane stove.
Martial law is no fun and the National Guard look like they are ready to shoot people. My girlfriend got arrested walking about a hundred yards from the house, after curfew (she was bare foot and wearing a dress with no pockets) and ended up staying in jail for a month.
Wow, that's terrible. You know, if I lived in the US, with the bad weather I keep hearing reported over there, I'd definitely be prepared for at least the short term. Seven weeks, and the national guard were arresting people for stepping into their yard? That's terrifying.

Forgive my ignorance of US hurricanes, but how long ago was this?

Ethnikos
Oct 24th 2008, 10:28 AM
Wow, that's terrible. You know, if I lived in the US, with the bad weather I keep hearing reported over there, I'd definitely be prepared for at least the short term. Seven weeks, and the national guard were arresting people for stepping into their yard? That's terrifying.
Forgive my ignorance of US hurricanes, but how long ago was this?
That was four years ago. It might not have gotten so much press because it was a small hurricane. It was class three when it hit my neighborhood. I think the wind was 185 mph. It took all the power poles and snapped them in half. All the tall trees were torn down and it took buildings and knocked then to pieces. It was really creepy at night because it was completely dark. The National guard set up road blocks around and did not let anyone in unless they had ID to show they lived there. Scary to get back home after you get out for food or something. I had to drive 50 miles away to find a Laundromat to wash my clothes.
I had big sections of roofs laying on my back and front fences. I was lucky because my house sits a little lower than the ones around it. It is bad for when it floods but good when it is windy. Twelve years ago I had a foot of water in my house and could not live in it for six months.(The water took four days to go down enogh to just walk out. I left my car and came back later for it. The six months was to repair the damage.)http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd56/jmdewey60/Nationalguard.jpg

possumliving
Nov 3rd 2008, 09:08 AM
Hey brothers and sisters,

I've had some things on my mind for awhile now and I'd like to spill them out so I can get some second thoughts/opinions/scriptures so I can maybe sort this out. I feel as if God is leading me in a different direction than He was in the past few months but I want to be sure, though I really do feel Him and His peace on me.

Here's my thoughts for the past couple months.

I truly believe we are in the end times, with all of my heart. I believe that the world is in economic turmoil because it is being set up for the final one world government. I know the Lord is so near and I'm anxious for His return. For this reason however I've become distraught and apathetic about our nation (USA), because we've smited God, turned our backs we're striving to be another Egypt or Sodom and Gomorrah. "Rain down judgment on the guilty ones", is my heart's cry. I still pray for a turn-around but I don't believe it's what I want deep down because I just want to see my Savior coming in the clouds.

But I was praying today and a man was on TV that seemed genuine. He wasn't over the top saying prophecies about America but he just knew in his heart that God would move if we were honest with Him. So I prayed as he did on TV and something just clicked. And that thing has been on my mind all day which is why I'm posting.

Now, concerning the end times, I will say that I don't believe wholeheartedly in a pre-trib rapture. It could still happen before the tribulation, and if it does, praise Jesus! But more and more I'm seeing people using it as an excuse from being a real Christian. Christ also said there would be heavy persecution in the last days. Well, if all the Christians are gone, who are they going to persecute?! Also read 1 Corinthians 15:52.

Anyways (sorry I'm preaching), I've been stocking up food and supplies not only for the economic collapse, but also for the time where I can't buy or sell without the mark. My friend has been telling me that it's more on the side of foolishness than it is on the side of wisdom. He says that God will provide in those times if we are to stay behind. I believe that. But I also believe that God tells us to have wisdom and commands us to "know when it is near". So I've been purchasing things for my "emergency boxes" every time I go grocery shopping. But lately, God's been quietly tugging on my heart, and I feel Him saying "Jared, don't worry...;) I will provide for you."

The way I take it is, God is not saying that we won't face tribulation or persecution - but in those times, God will provide for us. So basically, be wise about the situation, but don't lose sleep over it.

I feel some unusual peace about it all. It's His will be done, not mine.

What do you guys think of stocking up for the end times and praying for America? What's best and wise?

:saint:
I've been away for a long time, but I reckon I came back for a reason.

Matt 24:44 You also must be ready therefore, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour when you do not expect Him.
Matt 24:45 Who then is the faithful, thoughtful, {and} wise servant, whom his master has put in charge of his household to give to the others the food {and} supplies at the proper time?
Matt 24:46 Blessed (happy, fortunate, and to be envied) is that servant whom, when his master comes, he will find so doing.

Luke 12:41 Peter said, Lord, are You telling this parable for us, or for all alike?
Luke 12:42 And the Lord said, Who then is that faithful steward, the wise man whom his master will set over those in his household service to supply them their allowance of food at the appointed time?
Luke 12:43 Blessed (happy and to be envied) is that servant whom his master finds so doing when he arrives.
Luke 12:44 Truly I tell you, he will set him in charge over all his possessions.
Luke 12:45 But if that servant says in his heart, My master is late in coming, and begins to strike the menservants and the maids and to eat and drink and get drunk,
Luke 12:46 The master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour of which he does not know, and will punish him {and} cut him off and assign his lot with the unfaithful.
Luke 12:47 And that servant who knew his master's will but did not get ready or act as he would wish him to act shall be beaten with many [lashes].

So, I believe and other's that the Lord has put into my life believe that we are to be faithful as it is a "calling" to be prepared. Especially becaue of Luke 12:47. A servant is one who belongs to the Lord. We are bond servants of Christ. If we are "told to get ready" and we do not, what is the outcome?

If we are called to prepare and we are told that we will feed many others, and we do not get ready, will their blood be on our hands?

Just thoughts, convictions....

If we are faithful to step out in faith and faithful to continue to look to the Lord for our provisions, I believe that He will make it possible. But if we do nothing, we are in disobedience to His leading and direction...

Follow the Lord.

Be strong and of good courage!

Josh 1:6 Be strong (confident) and of good courage, for you shall cause this people to inherit the land which I swore to their fathers to give them.
Josh 1:7 Only you be strong and very courageous, that you may do according to all the law which Moses My servant commanded you. Turn not from it to the right hand or to the left, that you may prosper wherever you go.

When the Lord commands something we should take it seriously. This seriously!

Josh 1:16 They answered Joshua, All you command us we will do, and wherever you send us we will go.
Josh 1:17 As we hearkened to Moses in all things, so will we hearken to you; only may the Lord your God be with you as He was with Moses.
Josh 1:18 Whoever rebels against your commandment and will not hearken to all you command him shall be put to death. Only be strong, vigorous, {and} of good courage.

Josh 10:24 When they brought out those kings to Joshua, [he] called for all the Israelites and told the commanders of the men of war who went with him, Come, put your feet on the necks of these kings. And they came and put their feet on the [kings'] necks.
Josh 10:25 Joshua said to them, Fear not nor be dismayed; be strong and of good courage. For thus shall the Lord do to all your enemies against whom you fight.

We are in a spiritual battle, but we also have physical prep to make.

Deut 4:5 Behold, I have taught you statutes and ordinances as the Lord my God commanded me, that you should do them in the land which you are entering to possess.
Deut 4:6 So keep them and do them, for that is your wisdom and your understanding in the sight of the peoples who, when they hear all these statutes, will say, Surely this great nation is a wise and understanding people.
Deut 4:7 For what great nation is there who has a god so near to them as the Lord our God is to us in all things for which we call upon Him?