PDA

View Full Version : The Love of God

herald
Oct 24th 2008, 01:22 AM
We, certainly, cannot trust in the emotions of our own hearts to determine if we love God and others:

"Let not thine heart decline to her ways, go not astray in her paths. For she hath cast down many wounded: yea, many strong men have been slain by her.

Her house is the way to hell, going down to the chambers of death." Pro 7:25-27.

What does the Scripture tell us about loving God and others?

Jesus said, "If ye love Me, keep My commandments." John 14:15.

Jesus said, "He that hath My commandments and keepeth them, he it is that loveth Me: and he that loveth Me shall be loved of My Father, and I will love him, and will manifest Myself to him." John 14:21.

When Jesus gave us the "Two Greatest Commandments," He was quoting the law. Deut 6:5; Lev 19:18:

"By this we know that we love the children of God (Greatest Commandment #2), when we love God (#1) and keep His commandments. For this is the love of God that we keep His commandments: and His commandments are not grievous." 1 John 5:2,3.

"And this is love that we walk after His commandments." 2 John 6.

His church keeps His commandments: "And the Dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ." Rev 12:17.

His saints keep His commandments: "Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus." Rev 14:12.

"As far as the east is from the west, so far hath He removed our transgressions ("of the law" 1 John 3:4) from us...TO SUCH AS KEEP HIS COVENANT AND TO THOSE THAT REMEMBER HIS COMMANDMENTS TO DO THEM." Ps 103.

Covenants have conditions.

Even in heaven, the Lord makes quite a statement about His Covenant:

"And the temple of God was opened in heaven, and there was seen in His temple The Ark of His Testament: and there were LIGHTNINGS, and VOICES, and THUNDERINGS, and AN EARTHQUAKE, and GREAT HAIL." Rev 11:19.

At the very end of the Book of all books, the Apostle John wrote, "Blessed are they that do His commandments, that they may have RIGHT to the tree of life, AND MAY ENTER IN through the gates into the city." Rev 22:14.

Emanate
Oct 24th 2008, 03:18 AM
how do you define commandments?

crossnote
Oct 24th 2008, 05:44 AM
Then they said to him, "What must we do, to be doing the works of God?" Jesus answered them, "This is the work of God, that you believe in him whom he has sent."
(Joh 6:28-29)

Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God.
(Rom 5:2)

Therefore, as one trespass led to condemnation for all men, so one act of righteousness leads to justification and life for all men. For as by the one man's disobedience the many were made sinners, so by the one man's obedience the many will be made righteous. Now the law came in to increase the trespass, but where sin increased, grace abounded all the more, so that, as sin reigned in death, grace also might reign through righteousness leading to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
(Rom 5:18-21)

herald
Oct 24th 2008, 11:04 AM
The Ten Commandment Covenant. The Ceremonial law pointed to the sacrifice of Jesus and was fulfilled. Circumcision is now of the heart, washings are baptism, Jesus, the clean, became unclean so that we may be clean. The Sabbath Feast Days were fulfilled:

Passover: Our Passover Lamb
Unleavened Bread: He was without sin
Tabernacles: He "tabernacled among us"...

If the Ceremonial law had not been fulfilled, we would, still, sacrifice animals.

CEREMONIAL LAW:

1. Is called, "the law contained in ordinances." Eph 2:15
2. Was spoken by Moses. Lev 1:1-3
3. Was written by Moses in a book. 11 Chron 35:12.
4. Was placed in the side of The Ark. Deut 31:24-26 (to show it's temporal nature)
5. Was nailed to the cross. Col 2:14
5. Was abolished by Christ. Eph 2:15

THE TEN COMMANDMENT COVENANT:

1. Is called, the "royal law." Ja 2:8
2. Was spoken by God. Deut 4:12,13
3. Was written with the finger of God. Ex 31:18
4. Was placed inside The Ark. Ex 40:20; Heb 9:4
5. Is to "stand forever and ever." Ps 111:7,8
6. Was not destroyed by Chrisst. Mt 5:17,18

The Ten Commandment Covenant deals with our character and is used by the Holy Spirit in our on-going process of sanctification.

You don't, really, think we can worship or bow down to other gods, take His name in vain, profane His holy day, dishonor our parents, murder, commit adultery, steal, bear false witness, covet and walk with a holy God, do you?

Emanate
Oct 24th 2008, 12:06 PM
If the Ceremonial law had not been fulfilled, we would, still, sacrifice animals.

You mean like Paul did in Acts 21 under the direction of the Church elders?

The Ten Commandment Covenant. The Ceremonial law pointed to the sacrifice of Jesus and was fulfilled. Circumcision is now of the heart, washings are baptism, Jesus, the clean, became unclean so that we may be clean. The Sabbath Feast Days were fulfilled:

Passover: Our Passover Lamb
Unleavened Bread: He was without sin
Tabernacles: He "tabernacled among us"...

Paul also continued in these things througout the book of Acts.

herald
Oct 24th 2008, 12:19 PM
The Sabbath Feast Days were fulfilled...then, it was an option for the church.

"Let no man therefore judge you in meat or drink, or in respect of the holy days, or of the new moon, or of the Sabbath (Feast) days: which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ." Col 2:16.

Emanate
Oct 24th 2008, 03:19 PM
The Sabbath Feast Days were fulfilled...then, it was an option for the church.

"Let no man therefore judge you in meat or drink, or in respect of the holy days, or of the new moon, or of the Sabbath (Feast) days: which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ." Col 2:16.

Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath (σάββατον) days..Col 2:16

the same Greek word in this Scripture is the same that is applied to the weekly Sabbath in the NT. What translation are you reading which makes the distinction between Sabbaths?

Messiah fulfilled the Weekly Sabbath as he did all the Festivals that God called Eternal as well as all of Torah.

Hebrews 4:
3 For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.
4 For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.
5 And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest.
6 Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:
7 Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.
8 For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.
9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.
10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his. 11 Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

I am sure will both agree that this does not negate the Sabbath nor render it of no use to the believer. So how is the weekly Sabbath still in effect if the festivals are not?

Also, could you please show me, using the OT, the distinction between ceremonial and moral law? Did the same Lord that commanded Sabbath not say "Do this in remembrance of me" in the midst of His Last Passover? Did the same Paul that continued in the sacrifical system in Acts 21 not tell us to "keep the feast" of Passover?

herald
Oct 24th 2008, 08:24 PM
The Sabbath Feast days were fulfilled by the sacrifice of Jesus, as I noted.

The seventh day Sabbath was instituted at Creation:

"And on the seventh day God ended His work which He had made; and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had made.

AND GOD BLESSED the seventh day, AND SANCTIFIED IT: because that in it He had rested from all His work which God created and made." Gen 2:2,3.

Then He made it part of His law: "Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord thy God...For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore THE LORD BLESSED THE SEVENTH DAY AND HALLOWED IT." Ex 20:8-11.

When He repeats in Scripture, it is for emphasis.

A sign of The Antichrist is "...he thinks to change times and laws." Dan 7:25. There is, only, one time in His Covenant - the Sabbath.

Jesus referred to Himself as the "Lord of the Sabbath." Mt 12:8;Mk 2:28;Lu 6:5. He never sancitifed and blessed any other day.

Sunday was called, "The Lord's Day," in sun worship, common in The Roman Empire.

The children of Israel, Jesus, His disciples, and the New Testament Christians keep the Sabbath holy. "He that saith he abideth in Him ought himself also so to walk, even as He walked." 1 John 2:6.

The Jews added hundreds of rules and regulations to the keeping of the Sabbath, Jesus did not defer to them, yet, He fulfilled God's law, perfectly.

How did Jesus keep the Sabbath? By worshiping the Father and meeting human need.

Jesus prophesied, that the Sabbath would be kept during The Great Tribulation, and we are not there, yet. Mt 24:20.

Isaiah prophesied that God's people will keep the Sabbath in His kingdom:

"For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make, shall remain before Me, saith the Lord, so shall your seed and your name remain. And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one Sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before Me, saith the Lord." Isa 66:22,23.

The fourth commandment is just that - a commandment.

Emanate
Oct 24th 2008, 08:32 PM
The Sabbath Feast days were fulfilled by the sacrifice of Jesus, as I noted.

Jesus prophesied, that the Sabbath would be kept during The Great Tribulation, and we are not there, yet. Mt 24:20.

Isaiah prophesied that God's people will keep the Sabbath in His kingdom:

"For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make, shall remain before Me, saith the Lord, so shall your seed and your name remain. And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one Sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before Me, saith the Lord." Isa 66:22,23.

And as I noted, the disciples continued in the fulfilled Appointed Times of YHWH

σяєяυииєя
Oct 24th 2008, 10:34 PM
The fourth commandment is just that - a commandment.

Right Herald,

But also can be seen as a mighty promise, so there are 10 beautifull promises.

Go well,
Have a nice Sabbath ;)

herald
Oct 24th 2008, 10:57 PM
Here is a great promise:

"If thou turn away thy foot from the Sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on My holy day; and call the Sabbath a delight, the holy of the Lord, honourable; and shalt honour Him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words:

Then shalt thou delight thyself in the Lord; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the Lord hath spoken it." Isa 58:13,14.

What is "The Everlasting Gospel" that is to go to every nation, kindred, tongue and people?

"And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue and people.

Saying with a loud voice, Fear God; and give glory to Him; for the hour of His judgment is come: and worship Him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters." Rev 14:6,7.

We honor Him as our Creator by keeping His day holy.

Did you know that the RCC calls the changing of the Sabbath her "mark" of authority?

Rome says, "Of course the Catholic Church claims the change was her act...and the act is a mark of her ecclesiastical power and authority in religious matters." Thomas, H. F., Chancellor of Cardinal Gibbons, in answer to a letter regarding the change.

Rome says, "It's (Sunday's change for Saturday) the mark of our authority to over-rule God's law." Father Enright, C.S.S.R., President of Redemptorist College, History of the Sabbath, p. 802.

"Sunday is our mark of authority...The church is above the Bible, and this transference of Sabbath observance is proof of that fact." The Catholic Record, Sept 1, 1923.

"The Bible says, 'Remember that thou keep holy the Sabbath day.' The Catholic Church says, 'No! by my divine power I abolish the Sabbath day, and command you to keep holy the first day of the week. And, lo! The entire civilized world bows down in reverent obedience to the command of the holy Catholic Church." Father Enright.

Satan hates the fact that God is The Creator of the Universe...He has power over everything. So, he decided to over-rule our Creator and change the day to the day of sun worship.

"...he thinks to change times and laws." Dan 7:25. He, only, "thinks to change," because no man/institution can over-rule our Creator and change His law.

σяєяυииєя
Oct 24th 2008, 11:10 PM
Amen,

Thanks for sharing.
So the message of the 1st angel -the Everlasting Gospel-

It is an interesting study the one of the 7 angels wrapped in Revelation 14.
And helpfull for the time we are now facing...

Go well

Emanate
Oct 27th 2008, 03:47 PM
"...he thinks to change times and laws." Dan 7:25. He, only, "thinks to change," because no man/institution can over-rule our Creator and change His law.

Again, the times are mentioned in Leviticus 23 and are not limited to a weekly Sabbath.

threebigrocks
Oct 27th 2008, 04:06 PM
Let's return to the topic of discussion - love.

To love Him is to keep His commandments:

Matthew 19
16And someone came to Him and said, "Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may obtain eternal life?" 17And He said to him, "Why are you asking Me about what is good? There is only One who is good; but if you wish to enter into life, keep the commandments."
18Then he said to Him, "Which ones?" And Jesus said, "YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT MURDER; YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT ADULTERY; YOU SHALL NOT STEAL; YOU SHALL NOT BEAR FALSE WITNESS;
19HONOR YOUR FATHER AND MOTHER; and YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF."

If we go by the 2 Great Commandments - they all come under love the Lord and love your neighbor. Love is an action.

herald
Oct 27th 2008, 07:22 PM
There is, only, one time in His Covenant - the Sabbath.

σяєяυииєя
Oct 27th 2008, 07:29 PM
Hello Emanate,

May you have a blessed week ;)

Leviticus 23 is in the ceremonial law though!

Fareyewell

Emanate
Oct 27th 2008, 07:49 PM
There is, only, one time in His Covenant - the Sabbath.

Lev. 23:4 These are the feasts (מועד - moed) of the LORD, even holy convocations, which ye shall proclaim in their seasons...

מועד -appointed time

Emanate
Oct 27th 2008, 07:55 PM
Hello Emanate,

May you have a blessed week ;)

Leviticus 23 is in the ceremonial law though!

Fareyewell

It is, however, mentioned in the same context as the weekly Sabbath.

I do not subscribe to the ceremonial vs moral school of thought. The apponted times were given so that we would know Messiah and his work. They are a continual teaching about Messiah.

Lev. 24:22 Ye shall have one manner of law, as well for the stranger, as for one of your own country: for I am the LORD your God.

herald
Oct 27th 2008, 08:02 PM
The Ceremonial law was fulfilled in His sacrifice, as I posted, earlier.
The Ten Commandment Covenant endures forever.