PDA

View Full Version : Was Christianity based on Judaism?

jewess
Oct 24th 2008, 04:35 AM
Hi, I'm Jewish and the phrase Judeo-Christian really confuses me because I don't see any similarities between the two religions. Some people think that Jesus was a reform rabbi but if that's true then he wasn't trying to create a new religion. Our concepts of G-d and the messiah are completely different. The Jewish G-d is one but the Christian God is a trinity. Jews believe that the messiah will be a man and will only come once but Christians believe that Jesus was the son of God and will come a second time. If the two religions disagree like that I don't see how they can be related.

RoadWarrior
Oct 24th 2008, 04:54 AM
Hi, I'm Jewish and the phrase Judeo-Christian really confuses me because I don't see any similarities between the two religions. Some people think that Jesus was a reform rabbi but if that's true then he wasn't trying to create a new religion. Our concepts of G-d and the messiah are completely different. The Jewish G-d is one but the Christian God is a trinity. Jews believe that the messiah will be a man and will only come once but Christians believe that Jesus was the son of God and will come a second time. If the two religions disagree like that I don't see how they can be related.

Hi Jewess, and welcome to the board. I hope you will enjoy your time here with us, and that we will become friends.

The roots of Christianity are in the Tanakh. Jesus, His disciples, in fact all of the church at the beginning were all Jews.

From there, you are right, there are differences as great as that between the roots of a tree, and the branches of the same tree.

The thing is, that it is the same tree. Christianity does not exist apart from the Jewish beginnings. The New Testament (as we call it) lavishly quotes the Tanakh.

chisel
Oct 24th 2008, 06:18 AM

Hi Jewess,

Have you checked out any messianic resources in order to find answers to your questions?
Maybe this link will be helpful to you http://www.realmessiah.com/answers.htm

I have seen answers to both your questions there.

Shalom

markinro
Oct 24th 2008, 10:14 AM

The only reason Jesus will return is because the Jews rejected Him the first time. Had they not done so, we wouldn't be having this conversation

amazzin
Oct 24th 2008, 04:19 PM

Jewess
Can you tell me if you are orthodox, reformed or conservative Jew? That will help me understand your position more?

JesusisGod
Oct 24th 2008, 05:08 PM
Hi jewess.
Jesus quoted the scriptures and expounded on them, therefore, "christian-[ity]" (<---a man made term never used by Jesus or His disciples to describe themselves) is rooted in the faith of your people.

Christians believe in one God who chose to become a Man once whose name was Jesus a Jew. We believe He is the only sinless Person who ever walked on earth and we believe He will return to earth someday and rule as King.

jewess
Oct 24th 2008, 06:57 PM
Jewess
Can you tell me if you are orthodox, reformed or conservative Jew? That will help me understand your position more?

I am a conservative Jew.

apothanein kerdos
Oct 24th 2008, 08:15 PM
The reason the two seem dissimilar is because modern Judaism isn't the Judaism of the OT. Granted, Christianity has been Hellenistic, but early Christianity (prior to it becoming a majority of Gentiles) was more accurate in its adherence to true Judaism.

I would be so bold as to argue that true Biblical Christianity is far closer to true Judaism than modern Judaism is.

Regardless, early Christianity grew out of Judaism. All of the early Christians were Jews and, in fact, was considered a Jewish movement.

jewess
Oct 24th 2008, 08:29 PM
Just to clarify: Are you saying that modern Judaism is different from when we had the temple in Jerusalem? I agree with that statement.

apothanein kerdos
Oct 24th 2008, 10:04 PM
Just to clarify: Are you saying that modern Judaism is different from when we had the temple in Jerusalem? I agree with that statement.

Absolutely. Modern Judaism (specifically Conservative and Reform) are highly different. Orthodox is at least close to Rabbinical Judaism, but Conservative and Reform are far off, mostly because of their acceptance of Enlightenment ideas into Judaism.