PDA

View Full Version : a confusing verse...

Jeffinator
Oct 24th 2008, 05:12 PM
In Leviticus 20:18 it says..
If a man has sexual intercourse with a woman while she has her monthly period, both of them have had sexual intercourse in blood. They must be excluded from the people.

If you have sex with your partner during their menstrual cycle you should be kicked out of your community?..I'm a little lost.

Firefighter
Oct 24th 2008, 05:30 PM
Levitcus also says to stone witches, homosexuals, and unruly kids. It sure is a good thing the law no longer applies to us...:D

Athanasius
Oct 24th 2008, 05:36 PM
In Leviticus 20:18 it says..
If a man has sexual intercourse with a woman while she has her monthly period, both of them have had sexual intercourse in blood. They must be excluded from the people.

If you have sex with your partner during their menstrual cycle you should be kicked out of your community?..I'm a little lost.

It's gross anyway.

Jeffinator
Oct 24th 2008, 07:58 PM
Levitcus also says to stone witches, homosexuals, and unruly kids. It sure is a good thing the law no longer applies to us...:D

Why dont they apply to us anymore? Is it still not the word of God?

σяєяυииєя
Oct 24th 2008, 10:17 PM
Hello Jeff,

it`s written:

For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;

Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace; Ephesians 2:14-15.

jeffweeder
Oct 24th 2008, 11:39 PM
Its not the end of the world Jeff, it wouldnt hurt to comply. God might still not like it.
Work out your salvation with fear and trembling.........hmmm

thepenitent
Oct 25th 2008, 05:41 AM
Why dont they apply to us anymore? Is it still not the word of God?

We have been born again into a new covenant in Christ, a "better covenant" with "better promises". (Heb. 9:6-12)

Judgment is reserved for God himself, "vengence shall be mine sayeth the lord" (Rom 12:19) and his representitive governments which act under appointment and should be obeyed. (Rom 13:1-2)

valleybldr
Oct 25th 2008, 12:31 PM
Levitcus also says to stone witches, homosexuals, and unruly kids. It sure is a good thing the law no longer applies to us...:D We don't live in a theocracy so there are no stonings but witches, homosexuals and unruly kids still fail to bring glory to God. They are still under the death penality so it's really no laughing matter. todd

Dragonfighter1
Oct 25th 2008, 02:04 PM
Couple of answers for you.

Excommunication: During their menstrual cycle the women lived outside the camp until they had accomplished their re-purification. It was not a permanent excommunication, only until they had been clean for so many days (I'll have to look it up again). Ergo if the man had relations with his wife while she was "ritually unclean" he too had to go through the observed days of waiting to be declared clean.

Why doesn't this rule of "temporary excommunication" apply today? Well the answer isn't an easy one to drop in a sentence or two...I'll try though....

First, when you were a child you were not allowed to use the frying pan, but now you are... why don't your parents rules from then, apply to today?

For the same and similar reasons God has progressively updated some of his rules for living. If you look at the dietary laws you see Adam as a vegan/vegetarian, then after sinning you see him with animal skins,(and presumably meat food). Later you see Moses giving the rules on which animals are clean and unclean, and then Peter is given an image that ALL animals are acceptable (Of course this vision was a "new gentile ministry vision" so you can't use that passage alone to build doctrine).

The point is, though, that through mans history God had adjusted his rules for man according to his own reasons and for our benefit. Some people call these rules changes dispensations-but that that name causes problems. Some say that the major rule changes: innocence under Adam, conscience under Adam, Promise under Abraham, Law under moses, grace under Christ and etc., are the only dispensations, others say there are 12 dispensations still others like me who like to make people think say there are over 10,000. I say that because EVERY word that in in the Bible is "DISPENSED" either for us or to us, and is, therefore, a dispensation.

Some sentences from God affect major changes, some affect minor instruction but the issue is: to recognise that we are progressing with God both as individuals AND as people groups (Jews and Gentiles etc.)

The more you ask wonderful questions like these, the more you read you Bible, then the more you will come to see the progression of Gods influence in mans history and in you personally.

God bless,
Keep those questions coming.
DF1

Jeffinator
Oct 25th 2008, 11:07 PM
Thanx for the clarification!