PDA

View Full Version : >Melchizedek king of Salem< Do you know more about Him and His order? thanks in adv.

Éσяєяυииєя
Oct 25th 2008, 04:58 AM
Well in the Bible there are some texts speaking of Him, can you help or do you know more about Him and His order?

And Melchizedek king of Salem brought forth bread and wine: and he was the priest of the most high God. Genesis 14:18

The LORD hath sworn, and will not repent, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchizedek. Psalm 110:4

And here men that die receive tithes; but there he receiveth them, of whom it is witnessed that he liveth. Hebrews 7:8

He lives according to Hebrews 7:8?

Thanks for your time

Go well

chad
Oct 25th 2008, 06:33 AM
Hi Forerunner,

Not much is said about Melchizedek in the bible. In the old testament Melchizedek was the king of Salem, a priest of the most high God. Abhram (Abraham) gave a tenth of everything to Melchizedek. (Genesis 14:18-20)

There is one reference in Psalms 110:4 referring to Melchizedek.

The rest of the verses mentioning Melchizedek is in the New Testament book of Hebrews.

It describes Jesus fulfilment of the Old Testament Law (law of Moses) and the creation of a new covenant and priesthood in the order of Melchizedek. Jesus is our high priest in the order of Melchezedik, . This is an everlasting priesthood.

(Hebrews 6:19-Hebrew 7:4) Relates to Abraham giving a tenth of possessions to Melchizedek. Melchizedeks name means king of righteousness, King of Salem means king of peace.

Other references in the book of Hebrews, which refer to Melchizedek and the priesthood in the order of Melchizedek.
(Hebrews 5:1-10, Hebrews 6:19-20;Hebrews 7:1-28).

Hope this helps.

Chad. :rolleyes:

Zack702
Oct 25th 2008, 08:56 AM
When it mentions after the order of Melchizedek I believe it is describing the manner of priest and how he became a priest and what methods the priest uses.

19For the law made nothing perfect, but the bringing in of a better hope did; by the which we draw nigh unto God.

Even priests who are not descendant of Levi are able to inspire hope and are after the manner or order of Melchizedek. Because they are not blood relation to Levi yet they are priests.

Biastai
Oct 25th 2008, 02:50 PM
He may have been from the Chaldean region. Abram was himself from there according to Genesis 11:32. Archaelogy has shown evidence of a monotheistic school of thought in Chaldea. Most likely, it was made up of the minority fed up with the ever-expanding pantheon of gods there.

The reference in Psalm 110 is thought by some theologians to be to Simon Maccabaeus. Antiochus IV Epiphanes of Syria brutally forced Hellenization onto the Jews and put up the "abomination that causes desolation" (Daniel 11:31) in the temple. This act sparks the Maccabean rebellion beginning with the family of Mattathias of Modin. One of his sons(?) Simon began a line of priest-kings in Judea that lasted until the 40's B.C. The Maccabean family was not of Levite blood thus the Melchizidek reference is used.

The same idea is applied to Jesus in the Hebrews reference. Jews may have doubted Jesus on account of his non-Levite origin.

"For it is clear that our Lord descended from Judah, and in regard to that tribe Moses said nothing about priests."
Hebrews 11:14

The writer of Hebrews contends that Jesus was of a new line and a new covenant. This new people and new covenant is found in scripture spanning both testaments.

"The former regulation is set aside because it was weak and useless (for the law made nothing perfect), and a better hope is introduced, by which we draw near to God.
And it was not without an oath! Others became priests without any oath, but he became a priest with an oath when God said to him:
"The Lord has sworn
and will not change his mind:
'You are a priest forever.' Because of this oath, Jesus has become the guarantee of a better covenant."
Hebrews 11:18-22

"The time is coming," declares the LORD,
"when I will make a new covenant
with the house of Israel
and with the house of Judah.

It will not be like the covenant
I made with their forefathers
when I took them by the hand
to lead them out of Egypt,
because they broke my covenant,
though I was a husband to them,"
declares the LORD.
"This is the covenant I will make with the house of Israel
after that time," declares the LORD.
"I will put my law in their minds
and write it on their hearts.
I will be their God,
and they will be my people. No longer will a man teach his neighbor,
or a man his brother, saying, 'Know the LORD,'
because they will all know me,
from the least of them to the greatest,"
declares the LORD.
"For I will forgive their wickedness
and will remember their sins no more."
Jeremiah 31:31-34, description of the new covenant

"In the time of Herod king of Judea there was a priest named Zechariah, who belonged to the priestly division of Abijah; his wife Elizabeth was also a descendant of Aaron. Both of them were upright in the sight of God, observing all the Lord's commandments and regulations blamelessly. But they had no children, because Elizabeth was barren; and they were both well along in years.

Once when Zechariah's division was on duty and he was serving as priest before God, he was chosen by lot, according to the custom of the priesthood, to go into the temple of the Lord and burn incense. And when the time for the burning of incense came, all the assembled worshipers were praying outside.
Then an angel of the Lord appeared to him, standing at the right side of the altar of incense. When Zechariah saw him, he was startled and was gripped with fear. But the angel said to him: "Do not be afraid, Zechariah; your prayer has been heard. Your wife Elizabeth will bear you a son, and you are to give him the name John. He will be a joy and delight to you, and many will rejoice because of his birth, for he will be great in the sight of the Lord. He is never to take wine or other fermented drink, and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit even from birth. Many of the people of Israel will he bring back to the Lord their God. And he will go on before the Lord, in the spirit and power of Elijah, to turn the hearts of the fathers to their children and the disobedient to the wisdom of the righteousóto make ready a people prepared for the Lord." Zechariah asked the angel, "How can I be sure of this? I am an old man and my wife is well along in years."
Luke 1:5-18, John the Baptist as a "second Abraham" to bring about a new Israel?

"When they had gone, an angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream. "Get up," he said, "take the child and his mother and escape to Egypt. Stay there until I tell you, for Herod is going to search for the child to kill him." So he got up, took the child and his mother during the night and left for Egypt, where he stayed until the death of Herod. And so was fulfilled what the Lord had said through the prophet: "Out of Egypt I called my son."
When Herod realized that he had been outwitted by the Magi, he was furious, and he gave orders to kill all the boys in Bethlehem and its vicinity who were two years old and under, in accordance with the time he had learned from the Magi."
Matthew 2:13-16, Jesus' parallels with Moses. To lead a new people?

"Then he took the cup, gave thanks and offered it to them, saying, "Drink from it, all of you. This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. I tell you, I will not drink of this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it anew with you in my Father's kingdom."
Matthew 26:27-29, Jesus speaks of a covenant at the supper. The mention of the forgiveness of sins is consistent with the Jeremiah 31:34 reference to the new covenant (also posted above).

Éσяєяυииєя
Oct 25th 2008, 08:17 PM
Many thanks mates,

For your comments, it gives more light and understanding about Him.

I`d like now to know or study about the meaning of :

And here men that die receive tithes; but there he receiveth them, of whom it is witnessed that he liveth. Hebrews 7:8

Thanks before hand to all of you.

Zack702
Oct 26th 2008, 02:20 AM
I`d like now to know or study about the meaning of :

That one is a interesting verse. It has the qualities of both a physical and spiritual meaning.
People who believe in Jesus will often tithe to the churches who are witness to the resurrection of Jesus. In order to fortify the church and to follow after the customs of tithes.

But the verse also seams to hold spiritual meaning. Which seams to say that Levi priests or any priests require the acceptance of the spirit priest who is Christ. And now that we know Christ is Jesus we have a everlasting priest who is Jesus. Not that the levitical priests are a thing of the past but that many who are witness to Christ have not been to the altars of Levi nor are they required to.