PDA

View Full Version : Purpose of prayer?

365_days_gone
Oct 25th 2008, 05:48 AM
Whenever I ask, I always get told that it is to have a relationship with God. Well if thats true then why get others to pray for us? Hows is that about a relationship?:rolleyes:

σяєяυииєя
Oct 25th 2008, 06:01 AM
Hello 365,

Good question.
I would say, the purpose some times could be to be empowered, by God to do/know something.

As in this story:
And when he saw that he prevailed not against him, he touched the hollow of his thigh; and the hollow of Jacob's thigh was out of joint, as he wrestled with him.

And he said, Let me go, for the day breaketh. And he said, I will not let thee go, except thou bless me.

And he said unto him, What is thy name? And he said, Jacob.

And he said, Thy name shall be called no more Jacob, but Israel: for as a prince hast thou power with God and with men, and hast prevailed. Genesis 32:25>>

But in other times.

Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much. James 5:16

The prayer heals us...

Go well

365_days_gone
Oct 27th 2008, 02:14 AM
See? There is no point. No one can give me a straight answer.:rolleyes:

Dani H
Oct 27th 2008, 02:19 AM
How else are you going to talk to God? And, how else are you going to pull yourself away from the hustle of life to get to a point where God can talk to you?

Isn't the point of a relationship communication and enjoying one another's company?

The point of prayer is to get to a place where we can enjoy God's company, and He can enjoy ours. It doesn't mean throwing up a bunch of requests and walking away.

When I pray for others, it's usually to ask God to bring them into a deeper relationship with Himself, and to remove anything that hinders Him from fulfilling His purpose for their lives. Because ultimately, the answer to all of our prayers, should be more of Jesus Himself. The rest is just ancillary things.

the rookie
Oct 27th 2008, 02:39 AM
I would say that the primary purpose of prayer is that it serves to bring us from a place of fundamental disagreement with God and His leadership / ways / judgments to a place of deep, intimate agreement with Him and His leadership.

James said:

2 You lust and do not have. You murder and covet and cannot obtain. You fight and war. Yet you do not have because you do not ask.

But the question is, what are we supposed to ask for and how are we supposed to ask?

3 You ask and do not receive, because you ask amiss, that you may spend it on your pleasures.

In other words, God gives us prayers to pray to help us at the beginning of our Christian journey because we are so carnally-minded and immature that we don't even know what to ask Him for. We begin our Christian walk self-absorbed. God wants us to become "God-absorbed", in which we actually begin to love Him with ALL of our heart, mind, soul, and strength. Then we become genuinely concerned with the needs of people, and come to love them like we love ourselves - which is how we started the journey.

When we pray for ourselves (biblical prayers) and for others ("pray for your enemies", "pray for the peace of Jerusalem", "ask of me...") we don't automatically like, understand, or agree with what we are praying. But as we press on and are "transformed by the renewing of our mind" (Rom. 12:2) and "work out our salvation with fear and trembling" (Phil. 2:12) we allow God to work in us to will and to do according to His good pleasure. Remember, the point of Philippians 2 is to be "like-minded" and of "one accord".

As Eph. 4 tells us, the only way that we can be like-minded, or in unity with one another, is if we are in unity with the Head, Christ Jesus first. This happens primarily through prayer. Then, we go from disagreement to what we all proclaim, voluntarily (Ps. 110:3), on the sea of glass in Rev. 15:3 -

“Great and marvelous are Your works,
Lord God Almighty!
Just and true are Your ways,
O King of the saints!"

You have to talk to Him about Him (and about yourself, your neighbors, your enemies, etc.) to get to know Him, understand Him, and then begin to care about what He cares about. You pray because it's the best way to become His friend.

Part of what people misunderstand is knit to the assumption that friendship with God is an automatic based on our legal status (justification). As the prophet Amos said, "How can two walk together unless they are agreed?" (Amos 3:3) If you want to walk with God, you have to (as John urged us to) abide in Him. We "abide" through prayer and obedience. It is not automatic - as we pray, we grow in love and obedience. As E.M. Bounds said, "those who pray stop sinning, those who sin stop praying". You might be a Christian, but that does not mean that you fully agree with God or His leadership - that's why people sin. Why do people sin when they are no longer a slave to sin? Because they are not yet a "slave" (voluntarily) to righteousness.

Again, this process happens as we give ourselves to a life of prayer.

Hope that helps!

chad
Oct 27th 2008, 08:51 AM
Hi 365 days gone,

There are many purposes of prayer. I think the best place to look for answers are in the bible.

Jesus wants his house to be a house of prayer.
(Mat 21:13 NIV) "It is written," he said to them, "'My house will be called a house of prayer,' but you are making it a 'den of robbers.'"

We pray to ask God for things through prayer
(Mat 21:22 NIV) If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer."

Jesus prayed for others, so they could be delivered - through prayer.

(Mark 9:25-29 NIV) He replied, "This kind can come out only by prayer."

Jesus prayed regularly, for many things.
(Luke 22:45 NIV) When he rose from prayer and went back to the disciples, he found them asleep, exhausted from sorrow.

The Apostles and the church joined together and prayed constantly
(Acts 1:14 NIV) They all joined together constantly in prayer, along with the women and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brothers.

Prayer is a devotion
(Acts 2:42 NIV) They devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer.

Paul prayed for other for healing
(Acts 28:8 NIV) His father was sick in bed, suffering from fever and dysentery. Paul went in to see him and, after prayer, placed his hands on him and healed him.

Paul asks us to be Faithful in Prayer.
(Rom 12:12 NIV) Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.

In corinthians it encourages us to devote ourselves to prayer
(1 Cor 7:5 NIV) Do not deprive each other except by mutual consent and for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer. Then come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self-control.

Philemons prayer for others was that they may have more love, knowledge and insight
(Phil 1:9 NIV) And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight,

Prayer presents our requests to God
(Phil 4:6 NIV) Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.

Colossians encourages us to devote ourselves to prayer
(Col 4:2 NIV) Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful.

We pray for others to heal sick people
(James 5:15 NIV) And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise him up. If he has sinned, he will be forgiven.

James says to confess our sins to each other and pray for each other.
(James 5:16 NIV) Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.

The Lords eyes and ears are attentive to the prayers of the righteous
(1 Pet 3:12 NIV) For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous and his ears are attentive to their prayer, but the face of the Lord is against those who do evil."

These are just a few verses in the bible that mention prayer, but prayer is an important part of a christians life.

Relationship with God is a part of prayer. Recieving prayer from others when we go through struggles is another part of prayer, just as we pray for others to help and encourage them in thier faith, like Jesus and the apostles, and early church leaders did.

We can also stand in prayer with others when they are going through hard times, sickness, loss of a family member or friend ... and many other reasons.

I don't know if this helps or not. Hope it does. Maybe I and others who read this post could pray for you so that God will reveal the answer to you.

Chad. :rolleyes:

Dani H
Oct 27th 2008, 03:12 PM
We pray for one another because we have a common enemy. We pray for one another because we have a common Savior, and we are His body and are called to work together for His Kingdom's sake. We pray for one another because the needs are many, but the laborers are few. We pray for one another, because God is alive and on His throne, and answering prayer is His delight. We pray for one another because we serve a God Who is near, not far off, and Who always seeks to aid us in our weaknesses. We pray for one another to show an unbelieving world that our God is mighty to save and mighty to aid and most interested in our daily lives, and that He has not forsaken us, nor forgotten about us.

As importantly as praying for one another, we join in prayer together because of God's math:

Deuteronomy 32:30 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=5&chapter=32&verse=30&version=50&context=verse)
How could one chase a thousand,And two put ten thousand to flight, Unless their Rock had sold them, And the LORD had surrendered them?