PDA

View Full Version : Some clarity on Lamentations

Equipped_4_Love
Oct 26th 2008, 05:10 AM
I have a few questions about the book.

I know that it was written after the Babylonians conquered Israel. I also know that each chapter was written as an individual poem. Does anyone know if these were compiled according to chronological order of authorship? Also, the dates on each chapter. Over how many years was the entire book written?

Lam. 5:4 Why do you forget us forever, and forsake us for so long a time

It seems like this particular passage must have been written a while after the siege took place. How long after the siege did Jeremiah die?

Also, regarding this verse:

Lam. 4:21 Rejoice and be glad, O daughter of Edom, You who dwell in the land of Uz.

Job dwelt in the land of Uz. Was Job a descendant of Esau? I've heard it said that Job may have taken place at the time of Abraham, which would make him alive before the Edomites even existed. How did the Edomites come to occupy Uz, and who occupied it before then? Unless Job really wasn't written that early.

Thank you.

Chimon
Oct 26th 2008, 06:52 AM
I would have to do an indepth study of Lamentations to answer all these questions, and while that is something I would love to do, and probably will do when I do my masters, I don't have the time right now. I encourage you to consider getting a critical commentary on Lamentations, which might help. If you are interested, I can ask around and find out which ones would be really good. Let me know.

I can, however, answer one question. Jeremiah survived the seige of Jerusalem, went to Egypt for a time, and came back to Israel. He stayed there and comforted and led those left behind fromt he Babylonian exile.

Two other ideas: Since Jeremiah knew the fall of Israel was coming many years before it happened, it is possible he started Lamentations before the seige actually started.

Secondly, many biblical scholars do not support the idea that Jeremiah the prophet of the book of Jeremiah wrote Lamentations. They still consider it Scripture, but they suggest other authors. I personally do think that Jeremiah wrote Lamentations, but the evidence that he did is not very strong, so I am open to the idea that it was written by a different prophet.

Equipped_4_Love
Oct 26th 2008, 07:14 AM
Thank you. My Bible claims that most people do think Jeremiah wrote it, but there is that sector that doesn't. I've found that this is the case with most books of the Bible, though....there are always those people who question a book's authorship....so that doesn't surprise me.

If you could steer me to a good article, or commentary, on Lamentations, that would be appreciated. Thank you.

Teke
Oct 28th 2008, 12:06 AM
I have a few questions about the book.

I know that it was written after the Babylonians conquered Israel. I also know that each chapter was written as an individual poem. Does anyone know if these were compiled according to chronological order of authorship? Also, the dates on each chapter. Over how many years was the entire book written?

Lam. 5:4 Why do you forget us forever, and forsake us for so long a time

It seems like this particular passage must have been written a while after the siege took place. How long after the siege did Jeremiah die?

Also, regarding this verse:

Lam. 4:21 Rejoice and be glad, O daughter of Edom, You who dwell in the land of Uz.

Job dwelt in the land of Uz. Was Job a descendant of Esau? I've heard it said that Job may have taken place at the time of Abraham, which would make him alive before the Edomites even existed. How did the Edomites come to occupy Uz, and who occupied it before then? Unless Job really wasn't written that early.

Thank you.

Lamentations was written by Jeremiah. This book was read on the fast of the ninth day of the fifth month. On that day is commemorated the five calamities which befell the nation.

The Psalmist and the daughter of Zion lament the destruction of Jerusalem amid ruin and misery. (1:1-22)

2. The Psalmist and the daughter of Zion describe the day of the Lord (2:1-22)

3. Individual lament: affliction and hope (3:1-62)

4. Communal lament: meditations in a ruined city. (4:1-22)

5. Communal prayer for deliverance (5:1-22)

If your reading the KJV Hebrew to English translation, it begins with "How does the city sit alone".

The Sept. rendering begins, "Now it came to pass that after Israel was taken captive and Jerusalem became desolate, Jeremiah sat weeping; and he lamented this song of grief over Jerusalem and said:"

Some info on Job and Uz.

Eliphaz, of Teman, in Idumea was a son of Esau (in the book of Job), and had a son called Teman, from whom his country took it's name (Gen. 36:10,11). It was noted for it's wise men (Jer. 49:7); and is mentioned with Edom (Amos 1:11,12). Compare Jeremiah 25:23 where both are connected with Buz, the brother of Uz (Gen. 22:21).
If Job was the son of Isachar (Gen. 46:13), he would have gone down to Egypt with his father. If he was the third son, (Gen. 46:13), he would have been about twenty at that time (1706 BC)
According to this, Job would have been born the year after Joseph was sold and died 119 yrs after the death of Joseph. Job's age if determined according to scripture includes a double blessing. Scripture says he lived 140 yrs after his double blessing. 70+140=210yrs. When Joseph died Job would have been 91. The affliction of Job would have taken place 21 yrs previously, when he was seventy. Job's removal from Egypt to Uz would have taken place earlier.

Equipped_4_Love
Oct 29th 2008, 04:07 AM
Some info on Job and Uz.

Eliphaz, of Teman, in Idumea was a son of Esau (in the book of Job), and had a son called Teman, from whom his country took it's name (Gen. 36:10,11). It was noted for it's wise men (Jer. 49:7); and is mentioned with Edom (Amos 1:11,12). Compare Jeremiah 25:23 where both are connected with Buz, the brother of Uz (Gen. 22:21).
If Job was the son of Isachar (Gen. 46:13), he would have gone down to Egypt with his father. If he was the third son, (Gen. 46:13), he would have been about twenty at that time (1706 BC)
According to this, Job would have been born the year after Joseph was sold and died 119 yrs after the death of Joseph. Job's age if determined according to scripture includes a double blessing. Scripture says he lived 140 yrs after his double blessing. 70+140=210yrs. When Joseph died Job would have been 91. The affliction of Job would have taken place 21 yrs previously, when he was seventy. Job's removal from Egypt to Uz would have taken place earlier.

Thank you for this info. I still don't quite understand, though....Eliphaz was an Edomite, but what about Job?

Teke
Oct 29th 2008, 07:33 PM
Thank you for this info. I still don't quite understand, though....Eliphaz was an Edomite, but what about Job?

Well, that is why I gave you the Genesis 46:13 reference. If Isachar is Job's father, then Job is Jacob's grandson. Isachar is one of Jacob's sons by his wife Leah. Verse 8 in chapter 46 of Genesis begins with, "these are names of the children of Israel, which came into Egypt".

This is the info from scripture. If you agree, then Job was one of the named children of Israel that went to Egypt with Jacob/Israel.