PDA

View Full Version : Cartoons...

daughter
Oct 26th 2008, 05:03 PM
My son is really upset, because he has had to stop watching a cartoon that all the kids in his class like. He knows if he tells anyone else why he's not watching it, they'll think there's something wrong with him, or he's taking things too seriously, but he got very upset by this cartoon.

It's called Chop Socky Chooks, and you can read about it here. It's about the most inoffensive show on tv... it's funny (apparently) if you're a kid, the violence is so stylised as to offend nobody, and it's almost a cult amongs kids under say fourteen or so.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chop_Socky_Chooks

However, my lad got very upset by an episode called "return the other cheek." He thought the title was "taking the micky" out of Jesus' advice in scripture, but watched some of the show to find out what it was really about.

At the start of the show you have an Indiana Jones rip off where two golden ovals with writing on them are "liberated" by a bad guy. First time you see them, there is what appears to be Hebrew writing on them. Next time you see them, it's pseudo Egyptian mixed with astrological symbols. Turns out the two oblongs are conjoined, but they get split apart, the bad guy gets one half, what happens to the other, nobody's sure.

The two halves must be joined again, or the "cheeks" will unleash a mighty and devestating wind that will destroy the earth.

This wee cartoon had several ideas in it that were utterly dependant on biblical imagry for the joke to work, and my son switched off when he got upset, because he knew next time a kid in his class heard the expression "turn the other cheek," they would laugh and think of the buttocks of the apocalypse, rather than consider what Jesus was actually saying. He thought the show was undermining the biblical culture that we do still share, and that made him feel (as he said) sick.

So...

Here is the question.

Can you please pray for him in this situation,

And if you have any advice that could help us, please let us know. He's still half feeling that he's over reacting.

CoffeeCat
Oct 26th 2008, 05:10 PM
Praying for your boy! :pray:

(and please tell him that it's wonderful He's so discerning, and concerned about the true meaning of scripture. :) )

Frances
Oct 26th 2008, 05:35 PM
:pray: and praising the Lord for a discerning youngster who is willing to stand up for what he believes in. . . and also praying for his protection, strength, boldness and peace of mind.

livingwaters
Oct 26th 2008, 08:08 PM
Thanking the Lord for this new, bold generation!!! Let's pray that the Lord have a mighty impact on your son!!! Alleluia...It's so refreshing to here this, as opposed to hearing grown-ups defending all the trash they watch and saying, "oh, we're not under the law anymore!!!" It seems that's all I hear anymore from those trying to condon what God doesn't condon...

So, praise YOU our Lord and Savior for imparting wisdom into this young son of YOURS!!!!!!!!!! Glory to God.....

I'm real proud of the job you are doing with him, Daughter!! Especially, in a country where your Christian values don't mean much and there are so many restrictions.(I think it was you talking about not being able to find bibles over there):hug:

daughter
Oct 26th 2008, 08:22 PM
That's right, to find a bible over here you have to look in the "Mind Body Spirit" ailse, or the "comparative religion" section of a bookshop, and root around next to Buddhist or Wiccan titles to find it. And even then, it might be a "gender neutral" translation.

I was amazed when I went to Africa, that Bibles are on sale in supermarkets, kids stores, thrift stores, and regular bookshops - not just Christian bookshops.

Last time I found a Bible in a public space, it was a Gideons bible that had been given to a kid at school, whose brother had stolen it from her and burned it at the bus stop. (Three weeks ago.)

It's getting to be a fearfully Godless country. :cry:

σяєяυииєя
Oct 26th 2008, 08:22 PM
Hi Daughter,

My prayer for the child is:

And the child grew, and waxed strong in spirit, filled with wisdom: and the grace of God was upon him. Luke 2:40.

Keep up the good work

God bless

karenoka27
Oct 27th 2008, 12:39 AM
Father, what an awesome work You are doing in this young boys life. He has been through so much in the short years he has been on this earth, and yet You make him stronger every day.
Lord continue to grow him up in faith, and in knowledge and in truth. Continue to make him strong to stand up for what is Right and Just. Use him dear Lord for Your glory and Your honor all the days of his precious life.
In Jesus Name, amen

Redneck Charger
Oct 27th 2008, 04:24 PM
Please Jesus let Daughter's son stand tall and be able to express his beliefs, and not be afraid of what the other kids say to him.. Please Jesus let this youngster stand tall with his beliefs..Please Jesus....:pray::pray: