PDA

View Full Version : J.L. Died during church this morning...

Dragonfighter1
Oct 26th 2008, 05:58 PM
This is a "God Moment!" (unless you are an auto-skeptic)

I told the pastor when Judy and I arrived for church this morning that our attendance may be cut short as Judy's nephew was dying and we expected the call any moment.

J.L. was born 21 years ago with Myotonic dystrophy. Myotonic Dystrophy is an inherited disorder in which the muscles contract but have decreasing power to relax. With this condition, the muscles also become weak and waste away.

As bad as that would be, he was also born autistic, so not only could he not tell his muscles what to do very easily, they were incapable of doing anything even if he could have. As you can imagine other than moans and groans he was largely unable to communicate at all. When he was younger his mom and his dad could understand him, but few else could. He lost all power of speech when he was about 16! Trapped inside a mind and body that refused to cooperate he was put into a nursing home as his father's body was broken and failing from trying to lift and care for him and his mother who had died of the same disease a few years earlier.

Earlier this week J.L. came down with double pneumonia and oxygen was used to help him breath, eventually that was not enough and we were told that the end was at hand.

Well, Judy and I are in church 1000 miles form Texas where Judy's brother is watching his only son fight to breath. Each breath further and further apart. He calls Judy to tell her the status and to discuss his son's salvation which is bothering us all greatly. Then he hangs up promising to call when the last breath has truly been confirmed....which it would be moments later!

The pastor stands up to preach and his text is....
Matthew 9:2-8

2And they brought to Him a paralytic lying on a bed Seeing their faith, Jesus said to the paralytic, "Take courage, son; your sins are forgiven." 3And some of the scribes said to themselves, "This fellow blasphemes."
4And Jesus knowing their thoughts said, "Why are you thinking evil in your hearts?
5"Which is easier, to say, 'Your sins are forgiven,' or to say, 'Get up, and walk'?
6"But so that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins"--then He said to the paralytic, "Get up, pick up your bed and go home."
7And he got up and went home.
8But when the crowds saw this, they were awestruck, and glorified God, who had given such authority to men.

Now here we were in church worrying if God would accept J.L. into heaven, and trusting that God was a just God and could be trusted better than any other, but wanting some comfort from the Holy Spirit to calm our childish fears... and the preacher stands up... tells the church that J.L. Has just passed away... and then by shear grace of God is preaching on a passage that he has been preparing for weeks that God knew we would need today.

The reason I say that is ... if you study the text:

What was the first priority for Jesus? It was the healing of the soul. When the scribes challenged Jesus then he healed the flesh but only to prove he actually had the power to forgive sins.

So we draw comfort from this text that God has healed J.L.'s soul and now he is in heaven with a healed body too.

Isn't God wondeful. Glory to God!

turtledove
Oct 26th 2008, 06:51 PM
Thank you for sharing this story. God is so good to have allowed you to hear that Word just when you needed it.

Awesome!!!

2 Cor 1:3 "Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us ..."

God bless you and yours, :pray:

wiseoldowl

livingwaters
Oct 26th 2008, 08:46 PM
Sending my words of encouragement and comfort in your time of need. May the Lord have truly touched the heart and soul of this dear person who could not communicate. You know, we don't have to speak for Jesus to understand us....Amen:hug:

daughter
Oct 26th 2008, 09:12 PM
That was amazing, and I'm so glad that JL is in Heaven. Praying for you and his Dad too.

Dani H
Oct 26th 2008, 11:59 PM
I mourn with you over the loss of your nephew, but rejoice with you over his being in the presence of the Lord.

Equipped_4_Love
Oct 29th 2008, 06:52 AM
Dragonfighter;

I, too, am so sorry for the loss of your nephew. Thank you for sharing your wonderful testimony.....and for our wonderful God, who is full of compassion and mercy.

*Hope*
Oct 29th 2008, 04:24 PM
I honestly do not know how unbelievers cope with loss such as this. It is so comforting to know that the Lord holds our loved ones in His care when they are no longer with us. Speaking as someone who has lost close loved ones, it's hard to fathom, but the truth is He loves them even more than I ever could. I sometimes selfishly wish they were with me, but I know that they are in a much better place. I'm a little jealous sometimes because they are in the Lord's presence and I have to wait! But I cling to the hope that I will be with them again one day.

When I was little my brother explained to me that God and the angels rejoice when one of God's own dies, because they come back to where they belong (with God). He described it like the way we celebrate a child being born here on earth. We wait anxiously and there is suffering during labor, but then the child is born and the celebration begins. I'm not entirely sure how theologically sound it is, but this comparison helped me to understand this verse:

"Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints" ~ Psalm 116:15

It's hard to consider the loss of someone we love as "precious", but knowing they are with the Lord makes the word seem more appropriate. :)

Indueseason
Nov 3rd 2008, 07:45 PM
What a beautiful testimony to a God who is faithful enough to calm our "childish fears"! I pray that the Lord will continue to give His comfort to you and your family, and rejoice in the fact that J.L now knows life in all its fulness!! :pray:

Dragonfighter1
Nov 3rd 2008, 07:49 PM
What a beautiful testimony to a God who is faithful enough to calm our "childish fears"! I pray that the Lord will continue to give His comfort to you and your family, and rejoice in the fact that J.L now knows life in all its fulness!! :pray:
Thank you for your kind words.:hug:

EastTexasGal
Feb 9th 2009, 06:26 PM
Hi, I recently join this forum....my husband is Dragonfighter1 who told the story about our nephew J. L.

I wanted to update everyone who prayed for my brother, the father of J.L. My brother told me God had given him a dream in which J.L. was in heaven with his mother. He was tall and strong. Tall enough to look down on my brother who is 6'3".

This dream gave my brother so much comfort. He broke down crying for joy when he told me.

Thanks for all your prayers for my brother and our family.:hug:

shawn_2828
Feb 9th 2009, 07:54 PM
This is a "God Moment!" (unless you are an auto-skeptic)

I told the pastor when Judy and I arrived for church this morning that our attendance may be cut short as Judy's nephew was dying and we expected the call any moment.

J.L. was born 21 years ago with Myotonic dystrophy. Myotonic Dystrophy is an inherited disorder in which the muscles contract but have decreasing power to relax. With this condition, the muscles also become weak and waste away.

As bad as that would be, he was also born autistic, so not only could he not tell his muscles what to do very easily, they were incapable of doing anything even if he could have. As you can imagine other than moans and groans he was largely unable to communicate at all. When he was younger his mom and his dad could understand him, but few else could. He lost all power of speech when he was about 16! Trapped inside a mind and body that refused to cooperate he was put into a nursing home as his father's body was broken and failing from trying to lift and care for him and his mother who had died of the same disease a few years earlier.

Earlier this week J.L. came down with double pneumonia and oxygen was used to help him breath, eventually that was not enough and we were told that the end was at hand.

Well, Judy and I are in church 1000 miles form Texas where Judy's brother is watching his only son fight to breath. Each breath further and further apart. He calls Judy to tell her the status and to discuss his son's salvation which is bothering us all greatly. Then he hangs up promising to call when the last breath has truly been confirmed....which it would be moments later!

The pastor stands up to preach and his text is....
Matthew 9:2-8

2And they brought to Him a paralytic lying on a bed Seeing their faith, Jesus said to the paralytic, "Take courage, son; your sins are forgiven." 3And some of the scribes said to themselves, "This fellow blasphemes."
4And Jesus knowing their thoughts said, "Why are you thinking evil in your hearts?
5"Which is easier, to say, 'Your sins are forgiven,' or to say, 'Get up, and walk'?
6"But so that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins"--then He said to the paralytic, "Get up, pick up your bed and go home."
7And he got up and went home.
8But when the crowds saw this, they were awestruck, and glorified God, who had given such authority to men.

Now here we were in church worrying if God would accept J.L. into heaven, and trusting that God was a just God and could be trusted better than any other, but wanting some comfort from the Holy Spirit to calm our childish fears... and the preacher stands up... tells the church that J.L. Has just passed away... and then by shear grace of God is preaching on a passage that he has been preparing for weeks that God knew we would need today.

The reason I say that is ... if you study the text:

What was the first priority for Jesus? It was the healing of the soul. When the scribes challenged Jesus then he healed the flesh but only to prove he actually had the power to forgive sins.

So we draw comfort from this text that God has healed J.L.'s soul and now he is in heaven with a healed body too.

Isn't God wondeful. Glory to God!

I'm sorry for you lose, but you should also rejoice that he is not suffering anymore.

I use to hate funerals and wouldn't really like to attend them. But after I relized what death really meant for a child of God, death is just the step we have to take to be with Him. And if you ask me death is nothing compared to being with Jesus.

Now I rejoice at a funeral for a believer because they are with the one person they longed to see.

We often ask God to heal our loved ones, but some of us don't relize that healing may be on the other side with God.

I know that you lost a love one and I am truely sorry, but He is with God and God knows best. Just think of the day when all of God's children can be home with Him.

D in Georgia
Feb 9th 2009, 08:16 PM
I pray that the Lord will comfort you and your family in your loss. We too lost a young man in our family. Jonathan died 2 years ago at the age of 21 from cystic fibrosis. He was truly a blessing to us all. He suffered so much here on earth and I am grateful to think of him fully healed with his heavenly Father. D :pray::pray:

godsgirl
Feb 9th 2009, 11:41 PM
Can you imagine how alive he is at this moment? He is running down those streets of Gold-into Jesus Arms. We'll meet in that Golden City. This song really blesses me-when I miss my child.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iyMjeVoP8s&feature=related